I'm Back! The Saga of the Girl-Cave Continues... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm back! I doubt anyone really remembers me, since I didn't have much time to post on the boards before I was called away (I was still in the very beginnings of the design stage).

A lot has happened in our family since I last posted, battles with cancer, a new baby, all sorts of fun things that seem to suck away the resources of time and money. The good news is that after two years and change, things have finally calmed down, and I'm ready once again to tackle finishing my basement. Though admittedly I'm almost afraid to start on the basement again, since it seems that when I start gearing up to go to work, something major and life-changing seems to happen. But I figure I'll at least give it a shot.

Here's the current floor plan:

Unfortunately with baby here, the husband is backing away from a dedicated theater with two rows of seating, so we're compromising and doing something like this:

I doubt we'll add the shades initially, since I can't imagine they're all that cheap, but I hope to set up the wiring and build so that it's at least an option later down the road.

Goal this weekend is to actually start clearing out the basement, and build some shelving on casters to store some of the junk that we've managed to accumulate over the years.

After that I'll take down the insulation, look for any hidden cracks, and start coating the walls with some dry-loc.

Yes, I am a girl. Yes, I am a dork. No, I will not sleep with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good luck in your adventure! Sounds like you're very enthusiastic and raring to go, that's the first step!

Have fun, and enjoy the many comments I'm sure you'll get!

Tobe H.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Welcome back, it looks like a good project you have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Under Construction

post #4 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I'll admit it, I remember your old thread. Big space, very social layout, girl pushing the project.

Are you planning on the curtains for the rear wall or the side wall?

Dave

|
|
|
post #5 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

I'll probably have it setup for both the back and side wall, that way no matter what we always have the option. I like having as much wiggle room as possible.

post #6 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Welcome back, and congratulations on beating past all the challenges - that sample picture is a nice one to model after.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #7 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 11:23 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I don't remember if anyone shared this other thread with you, it is a really well done, semi-open plan with back bar seating.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1022589

PROJECTS:

post #8 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Big! Actually you directed my attention to that thread way back when I was first starting my design process. It's currently in my "inspiration pics" file on my computer thanks to you .

post #9 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpixie08 View Post

I'll probably have it setup for both the back and side wall, that way no matter what we always have the option. I like having as much wiggle room as possible.

I'd do back wall only in your shoes. What benefit are you getting from having it open up to a hallway? Be a lot cheaper, make placing the side speakers easier, etc.

Dave

|
|
|
post #10 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 89
THAT is the compromise???

Looking forward to it

------

post #11 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 02:10 PM

I'm confused why would a baby affect whether you have a sectional or 2 rows of seating in your theater?
post #12 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Husband feels a sectional will be more family friendly, and unfortunately it's his house too .

DC: are you saying I should nix the hallway all together? The reason it's there, is cause there's a support pole and a beam I'm working around, in order to create a tray ceiling, and hide the pole, I created the hallway. It will also allow people to enter and exit the basement without interfering as much with the theater area.

post #13 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'd keep the hall, but wouldn't bother with the cutout peering into it. If that is what you meant when you said you'd do the curtain on the side (like your pic).

Dave

|
|
|
post #14 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 08:21 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I'm curious if your husband has ever spent any time in a quality dedicated theater.

The sound is superior to open ended spaces and you can actually contain the theater rumble from disturbing the little ones that you might put to bed early. A sectional pushed against the back wall puts the theater goer in one of the worst seats in the house, The listening positions are too close to the rear surround speaker and your viewing distance looks a little long as drawn.

PROJECTS:

post #15 of 61 Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I too remember your old thread! Welcome back, and I'm glad that health is not a current concern! I can't wait to see this build unfold.

It's always better the second time around.

Follow my build here:
post #16 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Big: You're right, he's never been in a dedicated theater, though to be fair, neither have I. He's one of those people that until he sees something, he tends to be fairly uncomfortable with the idea. Once he's had some hands on experience he feels a little better. My plan was to build out the space so that I could put in a riser at a later point if he ever comes around, but for the time being, I'm afraid it's a sectional. Not my first choice, but certainly not the end of the world, and, we can always decide to take the sectional out and replace the seating later on after I've had a few years to cutely (that's key) whine and nudge him in my preferred direction.

While I am thinking about it, I have a few sound related questions for you experts:

1) Obviously when thinking about sound proofing/sound dampening, I know that clips or staggered studs plus 2 layers of drywall with green glue is my best bet, along with . However, I think I'd like to keep a little more width in my theater room since it only has a width of 13'5" to start with. I was thinking of nixing the staggered studs or clips idea and just doing double drywall and green glue. Am I completely shooting myself in the foot here?

2) Any recommendations on how to do the ceiling, so that I can avoid the noise of footfalls leaking through. Floor to joist height is 7'8". You guys convinced me to drywall it, but I can't imagine that just the drywall will be enough. I'd rather not lose to much ceiling height though. Anything I can do that would improve the noise leak?

2) Given that the space is going to be so open, am I going to benefit at all from doing any sort of acoustical treatments? My guess is no. And I'm going to guess that putting up some artwork along the wall of the theater is probably going to mess with the sound too. Bah.

post #17 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Good to see another female HT geek.
post #18 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 257
With the open floor plan you have in mind, I don't know that sound proofing the walls will be of any benefit.

To reduce footfall noise, some of the builds have put DD+GG between the floor joists on the back side of the floor decking. I'll try to dig up a link with a picture, but "Bethesda Build" build comes to mind (here's a link).

I would consider getting Bpape or Dennis involved in your acoustic analysis. My guess would be that the treatments will be necessary for any walls that you do have. It's just a matter of knowing what is necessary there.

Subscribed! This should be fun to watch.

EDIT: Referenced the wrong build, and added the link

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #19 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

My main goal in soundproofing is not to hear footfalls from upstairs while in the basement, and not to hear the raucous noise from the basement while upstairs. Most of our friends can be a little loud and seems to have very little volume control. It's rarely the tv/speakers that are a problem in our house, somehow it's the cheering/swearing while watching football, or a starcraft tournament that cause the issue. We also host LAN parties on occasion, and it can get a wee bit noisy when we all geek out.

post #20 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I think your biggest problem with soundproofing will be the open floorplan. With that many openings in the theater room to the rest of the basement I'd think that you'd have to treat all the walls and ceiling in the entire basement to contain the sound.

I'm excited to see this progress!

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #21 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #22 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

With the open floor plan you have in mind, I don't know that sound proofing the walls will be of any benefit.

I would say it IS of benefit. If you use something like DC04. You decouple the entire stud wall and then attach your drywall directly to the studs. The only loss of width is the 2" total (1" each side) for the drywall.

This help reduce the amount of vibration entering the joists above.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #23 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

But the only way to prevent the sound transmission with the open floor plan is to soundproof the entire basement. Not just the one room. Believe me, I'm a huge fan of soundproofing, and I never thought I'd be recommending against it, but in this case it seems like it would be building an aquarium without a bottom.

post #24 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe the OP should consider having more of a closed room? You could do double solid core doors that could be opened during parties if you like.

post #25 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, my basement is open and smaller than this one and I DID decouple and DD+GG the entire basement (yes, EVEN THE BATHROOM!), so with that said....

Quote:

it seems like it would be building an aquarium without a bottom.

I would say it is more like building an aquarium without a TOP. You minimize the amount of vibration entering the joists via the walls, but if you fill it up too much (i.e., turn up the volume too much) it will spill over the top (leak through to upstairs).

But that is the case in any of these. I have yet to hear of anyone who built a home theater here (dedicated or not) swear that NO SOUND WHATSOEVER makes it upstairs. The point , IMHO, is to do everything you can to minimize the amount of sound that gets out. There are ALWAYS compromises. If you do everything you can, then the room will be as good as it can be.

And again, the point is not so much to keep sound in, but to keep it out in order to lower the noise floor inside the room. Keeping it in is only a happy coincidence.

Tom Logan

post #26 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

+1. Good points! I can see that doing all you can certainly can't hurt anything.

post #27 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree Tom. I just don't know if the OP wants to decouple and do DD + GG in the whole basement

post #28 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I would say decoupling ALL the walls with something like a DC04 adds a minimal amount in the grand scheme of things. You only need one about every 4 feet around the top of all walls.

Tom Logan

post #29 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hey welcome back. Your username is familiar, but don't remember your thread. Love the signature though THAT is very funny.

Good to hear that you have beat some obstacles and are back at it. It does not matter that we get knocked down, it only matters what we do afterwards.

I understand the whole seating debate. While I'm not debating with my spouse I'm wrestling with the seating configuration and if I want to go theater seating or a more "socially friendly" sectional, couch or snack bar arrangement.

I do like the idea of keeping the back open and closing in the sides as an option as it does free up some space for speaker placement.

I see that your width is 13.5 but what is the depth of the space. I under stand not wanting to loose any space.

If you do go with the sectional there is nothing saying you have to have it ON the back wall. You could move it up a couple of feet to better serve the rear surrounds.

Good luck, post lots of photos, and get to work!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #30 of 61 Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Tom: Thanks for the suggestion of the DC04, that sounds very feasible. I hate the idea of double dry-walling the whole basement, but I'll admit the thought has crossed my mind. If I decide afterwards that the channel is not enough, can I go back and add another layer of drywall with little or no problem? I like to be prepared for the amount of general cursing I'm going to have to do if I decide to change it up half way through.

RT: Try walking into a game store as a girl sometime! That mantra comes in handy. Anyway, theater depth is ~ 24', so lots of room there.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page