Home Theater-corner TV - speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-26-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm ready to start wiring for speakers. I can't make up my mind what to do about the left/right speaker placement. My surround speakers will likely be in the ceiling.

I am planning my room around a 60-inch LCD LED and unfortunately feel that I do not having enough viewing width in my room to wall mount the TV on my non-window north wall. If I were to mount it on that wall, I would only be roughly 8.5-9 feet away and would have a large egress window at my back. It just feels way to close from that distance.

If I were to get a corner TV stand, do you think it would make sense to have the left/right speakers wall mounted? The one on the right would have to be directly below the window. Floor standing may be the way to go but I'm not sure I want those taking up room along the wall.

I haven't picked out speakers yet but I was thinking a couple satellite small types would be ok to wall mount for left/right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-26-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Corner mounts are a bad compromise, and totally unnecessary in your situation. Embrace the screen size, get curtains on the windows. 60" from 8.5 feet is puny by our standards, or the standards of theaters.

See here:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

If you go by THX standards, they will tell you to scoot the couch closer so the viewing distance is 6.7 feet away.

More here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004723

Also, you can do a lot better on the audio side than small satellites.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-26-2012, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

6.7 feet for a 60 inch TV? crazytrain.
I must be getting old because I think that is way too close and if I think that, there is no way my wife would go for it.

The top picture isn't to scale so it's not a good reference of the real space. That picture makes it look more open than it really is.

Another benefit of the TV being in the corner is that it would be viewable by the whole room. So anyone standing/sitting behind where I have the couch placed, could easily see the screen. I guess I'm placing more weight on integration over immersion.

If you were forced to place the TV in the corner , how would you arrange your speakers? floorstands or wall mounts? Thanks
post #4 of 16 Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Just wanted to make sure you had a good nudge first.

I would flank the TV with the L+R and put the center above or below.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-26-2012, 08:35 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Get with the program, this forum is about theaters, not TV rooms.

Put the TV on the flat wall, it still won't give you the visual experience of a projector and screen. You will still be proportionally sitting two times further from the screen than you would if you had a projector. I just finished watching a movie sitting 130 inches from a 116 inch wide screen and loved every minute.

Of course I'm biased. Making the transition from watching a TV to watching on the big screen is often a big leap of faith, But I can tell you very few who invested in a projector instead of a flat panel regret the decision. You have the room why not make it a theater? You can get a decent projector for well under $1600 and you can make your own screen. That will get you in the game and I can guarantee you will be hooked.

And if you think you are too old, trust me you aren't.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Side Wall. It won't seem too close. Hell, there's guys on here that put projectors at that viewing distance
post #7 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 07:14 AM

Liked: 13
Your sketch shows the width to be 13'2" is that finished or in it's current state? Also what's the other side of the room like that looks open?

I wouldn't plan the room around wanting to buy a 60" tv, you need to buy the right sized screen for the room and put it in the ideal location which is definitely on the non windowed wall. You will run in to major reflection issues to start by putting it right next to the window and will get a much better placement for your speakers on the side wall. Flat panels have a great viewing angle, I wouldn't worry about the odd person who may have to sit on a slight angle.

What kind of room are you planning for, a bar setting with lounge, is this primarily for movies, sports? Looks like a nice space, I'd at least consider a projector.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I am currently building a room with a 92 inch screen and the viewing distance will be about 10 feet. It looks great.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #9 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Keep in mind that this isn't for a dedicated sit straight and be quiet movie room. It's more of a rec room with a 60 inch TV and a couch.

My LED LCD TV just feels brighter than most projectors I've set up and my first instinct with the TV on the wall at 8 feet is to move my chair back. (perhaps I'll just turn the brightness down?)

But I am second guessing myself now.

I'll arrange furniture this weekend and place the mock up screen on the sidewall again. I may end up running speaker wire for 2 possible placements..
post #10 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I agree with everyone else. I run 120" at 11' in my theater. Up in my family room I am running 50" from 6' and it is too small.

Forget that getting old stuff. I'm in my mid-60s and absolutely love the theater experience.

If you are complaining it is too bright, then it probably is. TVs are delivered in a demo mode intended to have 'punch' in the store. For a start, try looking in the menus for a picture mode setting and try something like 'movie'. It will tone it down, but after a few minutes it will be a more pleasing picture
post #11 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have to agree with the wall option vs. the corner.

I've corner mounted small units on a wall with an articulating arm before but a 60" would look out of place IMO unless your talking about a way bigger room.

Plus your giving up to much as far as sound stage with cramming things in the corner.

You just need a little time to get used to viewing a 60" from 9'.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by haqattaq View Post

Keep in mind that this isn't for a dedicated sit straight and be quiet movie room. It's more of a rec room with a 60 inch TV and a couch.

So why did you come to the Dedicated Theater Design and Construction section of the forum to be abused?
post #13 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

So why did you come to the Dedicated Theater Design and Construction section of the forum to be abused?

Good question!

Perhaps I need to move this to the "Non-Home Movie Theater Builds but want the best advice for my needs" thread.

Seriously though, this is more of a family room build. Maybe there is a better forum for it.

about my TV brightness- I calibrate them using the Star Wars disc tool then poke online to see what other people use as options.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by haqattaq View Post

Good question!

Perhaps I need to move this to the "Non-Home Movie Theater Builds but want the best advice for my needs" thread.

Seriously though, this is more of a family room build. Maybe there is a better forum for it.

about my TV brightness- I calibrate them using the Star Wars disc tool then poke online to see what other people use as options.

I think you are getting the best advice for your needs - You just dont understand what your needs are yet. You NEED a 100+ inch screen. Just kidding of course. We all have to make compromises and understand that, but the corner placement is a huge compromise. Believe me, I have had this battle before in a prior house with my wife when discussing the fireplace being the center of the room instead of the TV. For me the compromise was I get my dedicated room to do what I want with and she gets to make the decisions in other places.

Back to the TV. Moving the TV somewhere mid wall is going to make a big difference in speaker placement. I think you'd be better off using the TV speakers or a soundbar than having the speaker below the window.

There is another thread for General Home Theaters - Its not as busy as this thread but is more centered around open designs.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I for one am not trying to abuse you. I do understand that this is a family room build, but I stand by what I (and everyone else) said.

How about this for a compromise? Set that TV in the corner on a temporary stand and watch it for a couple of weeks before deciding. Then move it center wall and try that for a couple more. Don't commit expensive mounts and in wall wiring until you have it worked out. Or just go do whatever you want. Your room, your choices.

On the brightness thing - how could I know? 90% of people just leave the damned things in torch mode, so it was a reasonable assumption, especially since you were complaining about brightness.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-27-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

I for one am not trying to abuse you. I do understand that this is a family room build, but I stand by what I (and everyone else) said.

It's all good. It's not my intention to sound defensive or frustrated if you read my posts that way. I appreciate all the opinions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

How about this for a compromise? Set that TV in the corner on a temporary stand and watch it for a couple of weeks before deciding. Then move it center wall and try that for a couple more. Don't commit expensive mounts and in wall wiring until you have it worked out. Or just go do whatever you want. Your room, your choices.

Ideally, this is what I really need to do. The ceiling will be drywalled so I do need to make up my mind on where the surrounds will go. I will probably prepare and plan for two spots and just document where I have run the extra cables. For the left and right, I may just run speaker wire behind the baseboards so if I do change my mind down the road, I'll be set to go.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page