post #91 of 129 Old 08-05-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Did this change from a book for $49 to now include video for $79 ? Or am I thinking of something else ?

Hey, this is what started out as the book, yes. It has kept on growing, now with a bunch of audio interviews and videos. It will likely keep on growing as well, as there is always more to add. smile.gif

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 129 Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 View Post

Warren did you add the annex on structured cabling relating rules and regulations across countries...

We added a more clearly marked notice, in each construction section, that all local building codes must be followed and suggest the bringing in of local professionals, where needed. Thanks!

post #93 of 129 Old 08-24-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
What made you decide to do this project ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #94 of 129 Old 08-26-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

What made you decide to do this project ?

Hey, kind of a long story, so I'll shorten it down here...

I've always loved home theater, from my first attempt at it, as a teenager, to now when I drive all over the country to talk with home theater owners and experts.

After building a few of my own theaters, people started asking me how to do it. I wrote up a little small private document that we shared to help one another. From there, it was suggested to pull together the best practices for building a home theater, into one document. I reached out to a bunch of guys here on the forum, asking them if I could use construction pics, to help illustrate different aspects of the process.

For a little while I was also driving around shooting home theaters and was putting together a video series about that (I might bring that back, but all online instead of quarterly DVDs), so I included some of those videos, and added some audio interviews with lots of experts, and it kept growing.

So basically, it just started out as a project from a guy who wanted to help out a few friends with their own theaters, and I'm really happy that so many have gotten so much use out of it. smile.gif
Dwight Schrute likes this.

post #95 of 129 Old 08-26-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Hey, kind of a long story, so I'll shorten it down here...

I've always loved home theater, from my first attempt at it, as a teenager, to now when I drive all over the country to talk with home theater owners and experts.

After building a few of my own theaters, people started asking me how to do it. I wrote up a little small private document that we shared to help one another. From there, it was suggested to pull together the best practices for building a home theater, into one document. I reached out to a bunch of guys here on the forum, asking them if I could use construction pics, to help illustrate different aspects of the process.

For a little while I was also driving around shooting home theaters and was putting together a video series about that (I might bring that back, but all online instead of quarterly DVDs), so I included some of those videos, and added some audio interviews with lots of experts, and it kept growing.

So basically, it just started out as a project from a guy who wanted to help out a few friends with their own theaters, and I'm really happy that so many have gotten so much use out of it. smile.gif

What do you do for a living that lets you drive around looking at theaters ? (Should I know this ?)

That sounds like a cool job biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #96 of 129 Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

What do you do for a living that lets you drive around looking at theaters ? (Should I know this ?)

That sounds like a cool job biggrin.gif

My career is as a business coach. I work with entrepreneurs to help them start and run their businesses.

I've been self-employed since the mid 90s, giving me the flexibility to take the time to go and visit wonderful people and see their amazing home theaters.

post #97 of 129 Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 39

I just stumbled across this and bought the e-book and related items. Warren, why did you make this so many individual downloads? I'm getting mouse-click-itis. Packaging everything as one or more zip files would help future buyers avoid repetitive strain injuries. It's too late for me, of course.

post #98 of 129 Old 09-26-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

I just stumbled across this and bought the e-book and related items. Warren, why did you make this so many individual downloads? I'm getting mouse-click-itis. Packaging everything as one or more zip files would help future buyers avoid repetitive strain injuries. It's too late for me, of course.

It used to be single big downloads, and I was getting lots of support problems with the downloads timing out or not finishing all the way... I'll ask my support guy to create some zip files as a middle point.

Thanks for the feedback!

post #99 of 129 Old 12-21-2013, 02:56 PM
RedWeb Ripley Ron

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just order the course and never received any type of opportunity to create a new member ID and password. So far all I have is access to a limited amount of "free" samples and the opportunity to give the site even more money. I hope Warren will get me straighten out. This was a Christmas gift to myself.

post #100 of 129 Old 01-01-2014, 06:23 PM

Liked: 10
I had recieved the HT Book and all of the DVD's Warren had done when he first introduced it and I was and am extremely happy with them. I looked forward to every DVD comming and couldn't wait to watch them, I thought they were that good and enjoyable. The HT book I had recieved, I put it on a flash drive and when I started to go through it I desided to print it out on my double sided color laser printer and sent my wife to Staples to have it bound into a book. I can tell ya that the cost would be expensive for him to offer it that way and might make some people not buy it, but if you feel (like I did) that you want it like a real book you can do it your self (like I did). I can truely appriciate the work that went into the book and the DVD's and was really bummed when I was notified that the DVD series was being closed down but am thrilled that at least I have all the DVD's in the series on my wall of movies. So I guess what I'm getting at is if you are on the fence about wheather to get Warrens work or not, I would say get it, I think you will enjoy it and will surely get some valuable information from it.

I do have a question though. Is what being offered now the same as what I have already or is it something totaly new?

Thanks
Dave
post #101 of 129 Old 01-02-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redweb View Post

I just order the course and never received any type of opportunity to create a new member ID and password. So far all I have is access to a limited amount of "free" samples and the opportunity to give the site even more money. I hope Warren will get me straighten out. This was a Christmas gift to myself.

Just an update for those checking this thread, everything was taken care of here, a tech issue that coincided with the holiday break. smile.gif
Mfusick likes this.

post #102 of 129 Old 01-02-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram4x4 View Post

I had recieved the HT Book and all of the DVD's Warren had done when he first introduced it and I was and am extremely happy with them. I looked forward to every DVD comming and couldn't wait to watch them, I thought they were that good and enjoyable. The HT book I had recieved, I put it on a flash drive and when I started to go through it I desided to print it out on my double sided color laser printer and sent my wife to Staples to have it bound into a book. I can tell ya that the cost would be expensive for him to offer it that way and might make some people not buy it, but if you feel (like I did) that you want it like a real book you can do it your self (like I did). I can truely appriciate the work that went into the book and the DVD's and was really bummed when I was notified that the DVD series was being closed down but am thrilled that at least I have all the DVD's in the series on my wall of movies. So I guess what I'm getting at is if you are on the fence about wheather to get Warrens work or not, I would say get it, I think you will enjoy it and will surely get some valuable information from it.

I do have a question though. Is what being offered now the same as what I have already or is it something totaly new?

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave, I appreciate the kind words, thank you. Yes, it was a bit sad when the DVD series ended. That was so much work - being a solo project, and for just a small group of people I couldn't keep producing those. I truly loved doing it though, meeting so many great people, getting to see so many incredible theaters, in person, just loved it! I've considered returning to that project, but would need some different partnerships/sponsorships in order to offset the costs.

With the print version, as you noted, the costs there are through the roof. It comes up now and then, and I let folks know they are free to get it printed, as you did, but that I'm not going to be providing any print version. It is larger now (due to the updates) than before, and my last quote on a print version (with an included CD for the audio interviews and videos) was ridiculously high.

What is offered now is not something totally new, from what you have. Thank you again for your feedback! -Warren
Mfusick likes this.

post #103 of 129 Old 01-02-2014, 06:40 PM
RedWeb Ripley Ron

Liked: 11
Warren took care of me as soon as he was back from the holidays. Got a lot of content to go through now. Thanks Warren!
warrenP likes this.

post #104 of 129 Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 AM

Liked: 17

I'm having the same problem, bought the course Sat and got free lesson four. But nothing else never received email about log on or password. Must be a glitch in system. Hope I can get resolved soon.

post #105 of 129 Old 01-20-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTHX View Post

I'm having the same problem, bought the course Sat and got free lesson four. But nothing else never received email about log on or password. Must be a glitch in system. Hope I can get resolved soon.

Should be all set, please check your PMs as well. smile.gif

post #106 of 129 Old 01-21-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Should be all set, please check your PMs as well. smile.gif

Yes everything working great, thanks for the quick response and getting it all working for me!!!!

warrenP likes this.
post #107 of 129 Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmatics View Post

So this "book" is a pdf file or file(s)? I ordered the thing thinking I was getting a "book"... you know, one of those things that is mailed to you and has these things called paper pages that you flip through. That thing. Then I sent an email back to them from the 6 emails they sent me when I registered and it said all the materials were available on the website. So I'm getting the idea the "book" is not in fact a "book" so I write them back asking if the "book" is in fact a "book" and haven't yet received an answer. Then I come here and it does appear the "book" is not in fact a "book".

Not for nothing but I find this thread, the original post, the title of this thread and the related page on AVS here to be entirely misleading.

Interesting. I'm super glad it's an ebook. When I bought it originally, I had access to a nice color printer, and made a physical book. And never read it that way. So much easier to read it 'on the go' even if that meant 'on the couch' in electronic form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

Yes I ordered the book from the AVS link, paid, and got my email confirmation/receipt...but was never directed to the secure download page where the materials are.

I think if I follow this thread correctly, you got this worked out? I found that the URL has changed, when I went to try to download it to my iPad recently. So I have a note in to Warren to get the info.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #108 of 129 Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Warren, please check your e-mail, Twitter, and/or PM. Having trouble getting a hold of you.

Matt
post #109 of 129 Old 03-06-2014, 11:41 AM

For some reason I am getting an error when I try to open the videos... anybody else have trouble with this? I was able to download all the documents but can't open vids.
Thanks
RG

Klipsch Rocks!
post #110 of 129 Old 03-06-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

They work fine downloaded to my Mac and played with the default player.

Are you sure they were completely downloaded before you tried to play them?

What application are you using to play them?
warrenP likes this.

post #111 of 129 Old 03-06-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob View Post

For some reason I am getting an error when I try to open the videos... anybody else have trouble with this? I was able to download all the documents but can't open vids.
Thanks
RG

The videos are standard MP4s, should play in almost all video players... I sent you a PM as well.

post #112 of 129 Old 03-06-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The videos are standard MP4s, should play in almost all video players... I sent you a PM as well.

Not ipad friendly frown.gif

-

post #113 of 129 Old 03-06-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not ipad friendly frown.gif

Plays fine on my iphone, once downloaded.

post #114 of 129 Old 03-06-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Plays fine on my iphone, once downloaded.

Ok help out then. biggrin.gif

Here's what I see and what happens on my ipad when I click the Audio or video stuff:

What am I doing wrong ? I am on an ipad3.

-

post #115 of 129 Old 03-06-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. I didn't use Safari. In my case, since sometimes I want to read it on my desktop, sometimes on my iOs device, I downloaded all the files using my desktop and stored them all in a DropBox folder.

The files play fine when I open them in drop box on my iOs device.

I suspect that since they cannot be streamed, Safari doesn't know how to handle them.

If you are not a dropbox person, you could probably download them to your desktop computer, and load them like movies into your ipad, as well.

post #116 of 129 Old 03-07-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks ! I'll give both a shot. Great ideas. Seems easy enough.

-

post #117 of 129 Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Just curious. The pictures on the first post don't show for me anymore. Broken for anyone else?
Mfusick likes this.
post #118 of 129 Old 03-07-2014, 09:00 AM

Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct.

This is the error message I get.
RG

Klipsch Rocks!
post #119 of 129 Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks ! I'll give both a shot. Great ideas. Seems easy enough.

Please do, and let me know (PM is fine). All the files do need to be downloaded, they're not designed to stream...
Mfusick likes this.

post #120 of 129 Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob View Post

Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct.

This is the error message I get.
RG

Hi, please check your PM. smile.gif
Mfusick likes this.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page