post #1 of 129 Old 01-26-2012, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

AVS-Presents

Welcome AVSForum Readers!

To think… it used to be “just” a book!

What started, years ago, as a simple ebook about designing and building a dedicated home theater has grown into the single best resource you can find to help you bring your home theater to life. Before getting into everything you now get…

You might be wondering who from the AVS community was involved in this project. While some folks have requested they remain anonymous, others you will recognize in the book. Alan Gouger, the man behind AVS, wrote the forward. Brian Ravnaas (when he was with Audio Alloy) provided expertise and technical review. Ethan Winer from Real Traps provided expertise and technical review, and is featured in an audio interview. Mark Techer is featured in an audio interview, and Kal Wallner is featured in another audio interview.  Reaper provided some of his 3D renders. BigMouthInDC provided his expertise and technical review, and is featured in an audio interview. SierraMikeBravo provided his insights in another audio interview. Home Theater photographs where provided from: CptnRandy, Damelon, DamnSam77, Dhanson, DKaps, GPowers, Greighn, Kmulder, Strange_Brew, and other anonymous owners. Mark Seaton is featured in a video interview, and Bryan Pape is also featured in a video interview. Ted White of Soundproofing Company deserves special mention, he provided not only his expertise and technical review, but also many of the amazing graphs and details of sound isolation found throughout the book, and Ted is also featured in an audio interview.

So what is in The Ultimate Course On Designing and Building Your Dream Home Theater? Good question!

In the Main Course you will get 25 Lessons, each about a specific aspect of designing and building dedicated home theaters.

Lessons on subjects like: Home Theater Risers, Prosceniums, Soundproofing, Lighting, and more (the full lesson list is in the second post below)

That alone would be outstanding, but when you order, you are not limited to that main course…

…you get LOTS more than that.

Imagine sitting down with some of the leading experts in the world of home theater, and learning directly from them! Think about these experts sharing their direct home theater knowledge and insights with you.

When you order, you get hours of video interviews with the authorities of home theater. (the details of these experts are in the second post below)

You get to learn directly from these experts – they have spent thousands and thousands of hours in the world of home theater, and you get to learn from them, unedited, talking home theater.

The experts had so much to say and share that there are multiple videos for each expert! If you tried to get one-on-one with all these home theater authorities you would need to plan on lots of driving, or flying, and paying them well for their time. In this section, you can have their advice for a tiny fraction of what it would cost to try and bring them together.

Even just one hour of dedicated professional consulting with a home theater expert would cost you several hundred dollars.

Now that would be an incredible value, and the amount you would learn on your home theater journey would be incredible, but there is still more!

When you order, you also receive an incredible 24 videos showcasing incredible home theaters. These short videos will inspire you, and will show you want others have done with their own home theaters. The theaters range from small DIY projects through massive renovation projects.

And there is still even more…

You also get videos of three home theater projects (including one case study that is used in The Main Course itself), put together from the owner’s photos, get built from start to finish. The still photos are great, and to see them in sequence as these spaces are transformed from empty rooms to incredible home theaters is fun and amazing!

As if those videos weren’t an amazing resource enough, there is MORE…

You get to download hours of audio interviews with the leaders of the home theater industry. You will be learning all about home theater, from the very people who define the home theater industry.

These are all candid interviews, with various experts and leading authorities in the home theater industry. As you’ll hear, this is simply these experts talking about home theater, and sharing their expertise with you! (the details of all the audio interviews are below)

There are two options for you to order, you can select either a single payment of $79 or three payments of $39. Make your choice below, and get started on your home theater journey today!

Option One, a single payment of $79: CLICK HERE TO ORDER

Option Two, three payments of $39: CLICK HERE TO ORDER

Dwight Schrute likes this.

We sell all the great AV gear! Give us a call, toll free: 1-877-823-4452 and let us help you!

Get the The AVS Insider Newsletter
Check Out Our YouTube Channel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 Old 01-26-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

AVS_Second

We sell all the great AV gear! Give us a call, toll free: 1-877-823-4452 and let us help you!

Get the The AVS Insider Newsletter
Check Out Our YouTube Channel

post #3 of 129 Old 01-30-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have not read through this yet, but shouldn't there be a "Calibration" section in between "Speaker Installation" and "Opening Night"? My apologies if the content is there, but does not have a section devoted to it.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
Master ARCOS Calibrator, Cedia Designer, HAA Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video
post #4 of 129 Old 01-30-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hi appelz,

Nope there isn't a section on calibration. Calibration is discussed during an audio interview with Shawn Byrne, and is mentioned in a few others sections - but not a dedicated discussion. I agree that calibration is very important, however as the book ends with the physical build, there aren't sections on how to calibrate, how to measure, how to EQ, etc... Thanks!
Mfusick likes this.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #5 of 129 Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sounds like a good book. I'll wait until I hear some reviews to buy.
post #6 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
have there been any reviews yet? just curious before purchasing.
post #7 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 267
EDIT: I decided to update my original post with a completely unprofessional review. I’ll try to give you the punch line first, and then explain how I got there.

1) If you’ve recently decided you want a home theater, and you have very little knowledge about what to do or where to begin, THEN BUY THIS BOOK NOW! From personal experience, when I first started researching theater design, I would have paid twice as much for this book, and been glad I did.

2) If you’ve spent the past few years reading build threads and topics on AVS, and/or you already have some theater building experience, you likely will not find anything new in the book. That does NOT mean the book is not worth the investment. I for one didn’t find anything I haven’t seen before in the book, but it did remind me of a few things that I’ve learned, and since forgotten, over the past several years. If you have more experience, then this book may serve you better as a reference, but it will be more difficult to determine how much value you will place on the book.

Most people are going to fall somewhere in between those two extremes, so deciding just how useful the book will be is going to be a little more difficult. To help clear things up a bit, I’ll try to explain more about what you should and should not expect.

First of all, in my opinion this book does not give instructions on how to build a theater from the ground up. I wish it did, and that’s really what I was hoping for, but now that I’ve read the book I don’t know that a step-by-step guide to theater construction is really feasible. Some would need instructions on cutting 2x4’s while others would really just like an explanation on acoustic treatments. There are just too many scenarios that will differ with every room, and knowledge will vary too greatly from person to person.

However, this book does cover the general topics that you should consider when building your theater, and it points out the major issues that you may or may not be aware of. For example, the book discusses acoustic design, but without getting into the details of how this is really done. You are given enough information to understand why it’s important, and given some general guidelines to be considered, but then it’s up to you to decide if you want to pursue it further for your space. The idea seems to be, present the issues that you need to consider, and give you enough information to make educated decisions about how to further pursue those topics.

Some topics are only covered superficially. Automated lighting is one such topic. I was a little disappointed at the level of detail offered here, but in retrospect, it’s a topic that is hard to discuss without choosing a particular system. Even then, this topic could be a book by itself (just look at the Grafik Eye thread). So again, the idea seems to be, present the reader with the issue, offer some insight into possible avenues of approach, and allow them to decide on their own if it’s worth pursuing further. If you didn’t know automated lighting existed, having the information in the book could be the difference in a ho-hum theater vs. an amazing one.

Finally, this book has tons of pictures in it from some of the more popular build threads on the forum. I think there is a lot of value there if you are just beginning to design you space, or if you need ideas on how to approach specific issues. Again, they’re all on the forums, but it’s much easier to have them all collected and organized in one place. For the uninitiated, the photos will offer guidance on what goes where, and ideas on how things might look in their space. For those trying to work through the details of their construction, the photos might offer that little insight into how close a column should be to a step. There is a lot of information in a picture that you don’t know you need until you start looking for it.

In summary, whether or not you should buy this book really depends on your current knowledge, skill level, and what you’re looking for in a reference. If you want a step-by-step guide, this is not it. However, if you’re just starting and haven’t a clue where to begin, this book should be a must read. If you’ve been researching this on AVS for years, you’re probably not going to find anything new, and you will have to justify it based on the convenience of having all that information organized in one place. For everyone in-between, it just depends. I feel like you’ll find something in there that’s useful, but I can’t guarantee you’ll feel like it’s worth the price of admission. Keep in mind though, if the book keeps you from overlooking even one aspect in your design, it will likely have paid for itself.

EDIT 2: I neglected to mention the "Bonus" material that comes with the book.

First, I think the interviews will be extremely helpful to a lot of people. Obviously, those that are just getting started will likely benefit more, but there's something there even for the more experienced as well. There is some really great advice for those just beginning to plan their theaters, and on a personal note, something mentioned in one of the interviews may well have saved me thousands of dollars (no exaggeration either). At this point, I feel like I've seen or heard most of what is offered on AVS, but this nugget had slipped by, and I'm truly grateful I picked it up in the interview. I suppose I knew it, but hadn't put 2 and 2 together. Obviously, YMMV, and it will probably be a rare case from someone to save that much money, but it doesn't take much savings to pay for the book.

Secondly, the supplemental pdf's I found to be less informative, but still worth the read. I did find the discussion on color and contrast to be beneficial, as it gave concrete examples of why we choose the colors we do for our theaters. These pdf's are pretty short, but they get to the point quickly and offer some useful insights that you may not be aware of.
Mfusick and Dwight Schrute like this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #8 of 129 Old 02-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Bought it, read it. All the stuff in there you basically can find on AVS, but puts it in one place for fast, easy reference.

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #9 of 129 Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 722
I didn't buy the first version as my personal theater was complete at the time. I can tell you with 100% certainty that my theater would be better today if I had read it before beginning construction.

If you spend a year reading all the old threads and hanging out on the forum you can probably piece together all the information that Warren has assembled, but who has that much time to devote?
Mfusick and willmo like this.
post #10 of 129 Old 02-06-2012, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

If you spend a year reading all the old threads and hanging out on the forum you can probably piece together all the information that Warren has assembled, but who has that much time to devote?

With 15,972 posts, I'm guessing you do!

That was a joke. Especially since I copied the rear bar in your HT.
post #11 of 129 Old 02-08-2012, 04:57 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

That is less than five things to say a day since I joined, I'm just getting warmed up. My theater related photos get over a million views a year.
post #12 of 129 Old 02-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

That is less than five things to say a day since I joined, I'm just getting warmed up. My theater related photos get over a million views a year.

I cant even fathom what your new theater would look like if you decided to move. Have you ever drawn up plans and ideas for your next possible theater project if you were ever to do it again?

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #13 of 129 Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

My next house will be smaller, so that would require some adjustments. Actually if I were to build in my current house, I've mentioned this many times that I would build a Private screening room rather than an open concept entertaining space.

It is not totally out of the realm of possibility that my next theater might be a sheet stretched between two palm trees. Anything could happen.
post #14 of 129 Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

Bought it, read it. All the stuff in there you basically can find on AVS, but puts it in one place for fast, easy reference.

I bought and read ver1 on a long return plane trip home. This occurred before I started my build. Having it all condensed into a single read was great for me! Sure it is all in the AVS forum somewhere, however - how many hours, (with an internet connection) would you need to piece it all together.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #15 of 129 Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

After reading the book, I decided to update my previous post with my humble attempt at a review. I edited my first post because I figured being in the top 10 posts would keep it on the first page with most people's thread settings. I thought I'd bump the thread too in case someone is waiting for another take on it.

post #16 of 129 Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 AM

Liked: 12
Thanks J_P_A, I'm one of those in-betweeners.. I've never done a full build, but I am fairly mechanically inclined (woodworking & electronics).. I'm also a frequent online researcher but I wouldn't mind having a well organized reference for my future build. With a b-day around the corner - this may go on my wish-list, thanks again for the review.

post #17 of 129 Old 02-22-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad my ramblings are useful

Also, I forgot to mention that the bonus features are not to be overlooked either. Time for another edit

post #18 of 129 Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

I'm glad my ramblings are useful

Also, I forgot to mention that the bonus features are not to be overlooked either. Time for another edit

Curious if myself, or my room shows up in the "bonus materials"
(if so; it would be via reference to Craig B)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #19 of 129 Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Curious if myself, or my room shows up in the "bonus materials"
(if so; it would be via reference to Craig B)

I don't remember seeing it. Is there a particular section or topic you think it would be mentioned in?

post #20 of 129 Old 03-10-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

from what i've seen so far, it's looking good..

1 thing I would suggest is have a tute on the right ways and wrong ways to build something, illustrating the good and bad points of diy on certain things...

detailed explanation is always inciteful..
post #21 of 129 Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I believe there is great value and insight in this book. It's a compilation of projects and info, yes, but not everyone has got the time to do that on their own, not to mention organize it and discern between so many opinions(many times conflicting ones).

I got it to use it as a guide for a soon to come dedicated HT project and as a way to support this kind of effort.

Keep it going.

Krakhen

post #22 of 129 Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Guys....how in the hell do you get the book? lol I bought it back on 6/17, got an email confirmation of my order and that's it. No instructions and no unique username or pw....no clue how to get the book I've tried to call the number but it's out of service and I haven't had my emails returned yet from Warren. I've been back to the home theater book site but can't for the life of me tell how to download the book. I even manually registered so I could log in as a member but still can't get access to wherever the heck the book is? This is maddening. lol

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

post #23 of 129 Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 PM

Hi Kevin,
I bought this book last week, all seemed to go through for me. Sorry I can't help above that except to indicate that i had success.

Adam
post #24 of 129 Old 06-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adix View Post

Hi Kevin,
I bought this book last week, all seemed to go through for me. Sorry I can't help above that except to indicate that i had success.
Adam

Thanks Adam. My order went through....at least I got a confirmation of my payment and an order number. But how do you get the book? Was the confirmation supposed to contain a username and pw to login and download it?

-Kevin

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

post #25 of 129 Old 06-30-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

to answer question it is a pdf download, Ipad or kindle might be woth a look..

did you register on the link site??

to get the download you must get the register on the site..

from what I'vre seen so far. and been told that there isn;t actually a book in paperback as such it's only a pdf download...

personaly i was hoping for a book myself, though it didn't happen.
post #26 of 129 Old 06-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 View Post

to answer question it is a pdf download, Ipad or kindle might be woth a look..
did you register on the link site??
to get the download you must get the register on the site..
from what I'vre seen so far. and been told that there isn;t actually a book in paperback as such it's only a pdf download...
personaly i was hoping for a book myself, though it didn't happen.

Yes I ordered the book from the AVS link, paid, and got my email confirmation/receipt...but was never directed to the secure download page where the materials are.

-Kevin

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

post #27 of 129 Old 06-30-2012, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
In my case, I received a confirmation email from warren@thehometheaterbook.com with subject "Confirm Your Paid Membership for The Home Theater Book" and a link to do so.

Then, on a separate email I got confirmation of successful registration.

Hope this helps. Maybe it went to the junk or spam folder/label.

Krakhen

post #28 of 129 Old 06-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakhen View Post

In my case, I received a confirmation email from warren@thehometheaterbook.com with subject "Confirm Your Paid Membership for The Home Theater Book" and a link to do so.
Then, on a separate email I got confirmation of successful registration.
Hope this helps. Maybe it went to the junk or spam folder/label.

Thanks. I'll try to get a hold of him again. No replies to my emails yet.

-Kevin

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

post #29 of 129 Old 07-05-2012, 11:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 53
Just a quick update, I was moving from IL to CO, and my move times happened to be at the exact same time as when Kevin was trying to reach me. he is all set now, and if anyone has any other questions, feel free to send them my way. Thanks!
Mfusick likes this.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #30 of 129 Old 07-11-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

Yes I ordered the book from the AVS link, paid, and got my email confirmation/receipt...but was never directed to the secure download page where the materials are.

So this "book" is a pdf file or file(s)? I ordered the thing thinking I was getting a "book"... you know, one of those things that is mailed to you and has these things called paper pages that you flip through. That thing. Then I sent an email back to them from the 6 emails they sent me when I registered and it said all the materials were available on the website. So I'm getting the idea the "book" is not in fact a "book" so I write them back asking if the "book" is in fact a "book" and haven't yet received an answer. Then I come here and it does appear the "book" is not in fact a "book".

Not for nothing but I find this thread, the original post, the title of this thread and the related page on AVS here to be entirely misleading.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction