Missing that "Je ne sais quoi"! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, I completed my theater a few years ago. Although it is functional, I find myself wishing it had more style like many of the great theater some of you artisans have created.

My wife is due with twins and is unlikely to let me undertake any major remodeling to the room, however I am hoping for some advice on improving the polished look of the theater with maybe different paint colors, curtains, wall panels, trim etc..

Here are some pictures of the room.

Thanks,
Stephen Goldberg
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I'd say it could use some color. The easy choice would be movie posters; and they give you room to update and change whenever you like.

There are the more traditional theater design ques, like red curtains, or spotlights (as for the stage), velvet ropes, popcorn machines and candy counters. Also - rope lights and step lights that just help the space feel more thoroughly finished like a professional space.

If you're a bit more adventurous, there are a few ideas I'm trying to develop for my own theater; I'll share them here as they are still immature ideas and I'm sure you and I won't come to the same final products. First, and most dramatically, I'm considering wall color that changes subtly around the room - leaving the front as dark as possible, gradually work to a lighter color in the rear, probably still neutral gray. This would give some visual interest, just generally, but also provide a "canvas" for the walls near the rear of the room. Second, I'm thinking about hand painting some details that suggest classic stories from films and TV. Some of the images that I'm considering working in are a yellow brick road or somehow ruby slippers poking out from under a house; shadows shaped like children flying - one wearing a pointed hat (Peter Pan); or a solitary lamp post glowing in a dark forest (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe). My hope was that this sort of thing would suggest the magical or mysterious nature of the stories without being as common as movie posters. Naturally, this will require some significant planning and skill as a painter or designer. Alternatively, and with less skill required, those same images are often incorporated into graphic design you can purchase direct from the artists, generally at very reasonable prices - I've been looking at etsy.com and society6.com.

I'm sure there are lots more creative ideas out there, as well as simpler and easier.

Fred
post #3 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Nice theater,

No harm in trying to "dress things up" once in awhile. Have you done any acoustical treatments to your room? If not there are so many options in acoustic panels with fabric and coverings you could easily add a design or color through the use those. Obviously a change in paint and trim colors as well as changing out the lighting fixtures is another way as well as the white panels on your columns adding color to those.

To add a little more interest to your walls you could also add a chair rail, that would not be too awfully difficult.

BTW if you ask me there is nothing at all wrong with your room. Looks great to me, but hey you asked right?

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I really like your room. It's very nice. Have you thought about some fancy style of carpet you've seen some of the other guys in here use? That might give it a little more punch.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #5 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 07:32 PM

Kudos on the room, looks like a great place to kick back!

The only thing that sticks out to me is that I feel like your sconces are getting a little lost on that wall. You could try changing up the fixtures a bit, so that they're a little bit bigger. Or add some molding around them to add a little more visual interest.

This would probably be a good place to hire an interior designer. Even for an hour consult, they could probably come up with some ideas to add punch to the room, it probably wouldn't be terribly expensive, and well worth the time invested.

Yes, I am a girl. Yes, I am a dork. No, I will not sleep with you.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I agree with RTROSE install a chair rail and then paint the top a different color. You could even install a paintable textured wallpaper and then painting that which could give you the appearance of fabric.

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #7 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Yeah, room looks good... I agree with darkpixie that the sconces are getting lost - maybe something more decorative and/or larger. Changing the columns to a darker color would certainly change the look of the room, too.

Best addition (I like that better than "redo" or "making changes") I'd suggest would be to add something to the front wall around the screen. Fixed drapes, wood columns, any sort of screen surround would really dress up the room. I did fixed drapes covering the screen wall:

Before:

After:

They made throw pillows from the leftover fabric as well.

And another +1 on asking an interior decorator for advice. If you talk to someone that does custom drapery work, they'll usually do a free consult. Very useful for us logical engineer-types.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #8 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 PM

Here is a picture with some molding around some sconces, it helps break up the wall a little bit. I apologize to the internet gods, because I'm not sure exactly where it came from, but it's a lovely space.

post #9 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Maybe repaint the trim another color, like the trim color in the picture dark pixie posted above - the brown seems to blend in with the black. The red pillow accent in the rear is also something you could play off - more pillows / throw blankets with red - with a pattern maybe to contrast with the solids. Carpet with a bold pattern would be nice too, but not cheap.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 10:51 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 747
I'm not feeling any love for the columns. Can't really tell what is solid surface and what is fabric from the pictures.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-30-2012, 05:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I like the room, but since you asked us to nitpick, I guess these are what I'd focus on.

I think the carpet and the columns could be improved.

Ideally I'd go with a grey carpet with some texture like Big has.

I am not sure how to address the columns, either slimmer or less contrast. I think the all black with white is a little jarring. Maybe burgundy instead? Or ideally maybe some pattern.

If you want posters, or just art work, and want to do treatments, take a look at this thread where a guy found a vendor who will do custom fabrics:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1316623

Frankly, adding treatments will improve your audio, which maybe a bigger benefit all around.

EDIT - Pixie, that is Poindexter's theater - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=640853
post #12 of 19 Old 01-30-2012, 06:45 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Would you consider dyeing the carpet? They reported pretty good results in the "resale theater" thread.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

I am not sure how to address the columns, either slimmer or less contrast. I think the all black with white is a little jarring. Maybe burgundy instead? Or ideally maybe some pattern.

If you want posters, or just art work, and want to do treatments, take a look at this thread where a guy found a vendor who will do custom fabrics:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1316623

Frankly, adding treatments will improve your audio, which maybe a bigger benefit all around.

antony30bc;
Do you have an AT screen?
I can't see your front R/C/L mains or sub - so guess they are behind that, or were they not installed for your pictures.
(assume your A/V rack and gear are located outside the HT also, can't see them either)

I agree with dc_pilgrim, adding some acoustic treatment panels at your sidewall first reflection points to create a RFZ (Reflection Free Zone) should enhance your audio and break up the walls, and improve your soundstage.
look here for good explain of a RFZ http://www.realtraps.com/rfz.htm

Having some art/picture covering them could help you define the theme/look you desire.

Establishing a proper RFZ really depends on where those front R/C/L mains are, and other variables.
I won't get into the whole "measure before you apply treatments" discussion here, except to say "measuring is your friend" when applying acoustic treatments.

Other thought, your 2nd row, how far are the seats from side/back walls?
Possible you might have space back there for some broadband bass traps, and could use that for a display shelf.

The lower broadband bass traps are 24" x 24" on the side walls x 34" on the long/front face, 48" tall, movable, not built into the wall, and you can cover them with contrasting or tone matching fabric.
Finally found a place for my Star Trek and Star Wars "stuff" collected over the years
post #14 of 19 Old 01-30-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want to dork up your theater with Star Wars toys that is fine. Just don't tell other people to do it!

post #15 of 19 Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

If you want to dork up your theater with Star Wars toys that is fine. Just don't tell other people to do it!

Don't listen to him. Everyone should have Star Wars toys in their theater. That's what makes it a home theater!

post #16 of 19 Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpixie08 View Post

Don't listen to him. Everyone should have Star Wars toys in their theater. That's what makes it a home theater!

It's ten times worse if a girl does it!!! AAAUUUUUGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

post #17 of 19 Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I love the look of stained wood in a theater, so if it were me I would go in that direction. I would rebuild the columns using a combination of stained wood and AT fabric. Mr. Poindexter's theater (the pic in post #8) is a great example.

Depending on the look you're after, you might also think about some stained wood wainscotting. I think it looks great in a traditional-style theater. I understand the hard, reflective surface might cause acoustical issues, though.

If you're after a more contemporary look, there was a build thread here a while back where the guy used big panels of light colored wood (birch or maple) against a black wall, with the sconces mounted in the middle of the wood panels. It was really striking. I wish I could find that thread. It might be a good option for a low-cost retrofit.

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
post #18 of 19 Old 01-30-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. Here are some responses to the comments.

Quote:
First, and most dramatically, I'm considering wall color that changes subtly around the room - leaving the front as dark as possible, gradually work to a lighter color in the rear,

That is a pretty cool idea, however I am sure a lot of work. I might keep that in mind if I choose a new color for the walls.

Acoustical Treatments

I do not have any yet, the only Acoustical Treatment is the backwall behind the screen and speakers. I need to make some AT Panels for the walls which was part of the impetus to get input here. I did not want to continue the same color (lack of) scheme to the AT panels.

Staining the trim/columns
My original plan was to stain the columns, however I did not pay close attention when I bought the sheets of wood and somehow got multiple types mixed in. I hired out the stain work and after I came home it was clear as day that there were at least 3, maybe 4 different types of woods with varying degrees of grain. It looks pretty bad. In a pinch I decided to just paint over it.

I hired the work out because my own attempts at staining some scrap left me dissatisfied, so sad as it may seem, this is outside of my own skill set. Pretty sad since other than the staining of the columns which was money down the drain, the carpet, and mudding the drywall, a friend and I did the entire job.

Maybe I will leave things alone for now until I can hire out staining and column reconstruction to a more talented craftsman.

The columns themselves are pretty ugly, they are larger than I had wanted but I as small as I could to fit the surrounds. I am not sure how so many of you got away with sexy slim columns. Of course that may just be the room scale throwing my perspective off.

BIGMouthinDC - The middle section of each column is GOM, the creamy color for the rest was color matched to the GoM to achieve that effect. Should the GoM section stand out from the rest of the column or blend in?

As for dying the carpet. I had never heard of that until I saw the Resale thread. I will add that to the list of options but must convince my wife that its a good idea first.

dc_pilgrim - Patterns and Prints on AT fabric? I did not know that was an option. Definitely will look into that.

mtbdudex - I have an SMX AT 2.35 screen. The speakers are behind it. Three little Axiom speakers and a HSU sub. The back row is about 2 feet from the back wall, however there is a decent amount of space in the corners between the two back columns and the corner. About 2 feet from the corner.

There is a big open space across from the door , I couldn't even take a picture of it because it was such an expanse of black my camera could not focus. I will likely mount a Mr.Slim on there (Anyone have luck painting a Mr.Slim case? Or used an LG Art Cool?), but apart from that its a big open area. I probably should have added a column there but wanted symmetry with the columns and since the door was on the other side I would not have had that.

Based on all the advice I think the following are my best bets:

Curtains - Those did make a huge difference in the theater pictured. Especially with a screen wall as bland as mine.
Acoustic Treatment Panels - With color, patterns or prints. Maybe Bass traps in the back corners.
Columns/Trim - Change the color or redo and stain.
Sconces - Get new ones, or frame in existing ones.

Thanks for all the good comments.

mtbdudex - I lack star wars toys, all of mine were sold by a half brother at a garage sale. Anyways my wife is trying to cure me of my collector habits or at least limit them to movies. My retro game collection was starting to overtake the movie shelves so I had to choose between the two. The movies everyone was able to enjoy, but no one shared my sense of pride at having a sealed version of Panzer Dragoon Saga.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-30-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 388
If your columns are painted wood (couldn't tell that from the image, I assumed they were drywall), check with a painter about faux-stain some grain onto them. Check out the attic door in my build thread. Amazing job and didn't cost much.

Acoustic panels can make a big difference, too - lots of fabric choices with prints, too.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page