Doorway in to my HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All

I am on my way to getting my very first home theater set up and finalizing finer details at this time.

We currently have a solid white door entering the HT Room. My wife for aesthetics room wants to install a frosted glass door just like this

http://www.featherriverdoor.com/int-collections.html.

I would like to get help feed back on following things think may be a problem -

1. Is this going to leak a lot of light
2. Is using frosted glass door in a theater with a submersive hp subwoofer four feet away a good idea?

Thanks

Raj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
When you say "solid white door", I assume you mean solid as in no glass/windows. Is it a solid wood exterior door or a standard hollow core interior door? Have you done any other sound isolation in the room?

If you haven't done any other sound isolation in the room (insulation, double drywall, etc.), the doors probably aren't going to make sound isolation much worse. Someone else will have to comment on the glass with the sub. I would guess that if the sub is that close, you will probably have issues with the glass rattling. I also don't know what issues the glass would cause with sound reflections. I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

As far as light, it depends what is outside the door. If it is a hallway with no windows and the lights can be turned off, it may not be as much of an issue. Some light will make it through the glass, so you would have to come up with a way to control it (which may defeat the purpose of wanting the glass doors). Maybe you could hang some curtains in the room that could be open/closed.

I personally would avoid this type of door in a theater, but that's just my opinion.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Tell your wife that if she can find any commercial theater with an all glass door to the theater proper you will get behind her 100%. If the door leads to a hallway that has a couple of turns you have a glimmer of a chance of controlling the light.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you could install black-out curtains on one side of the door you could probably manage the light transmission fairly well.

As for vibrations, if it is a well-built door with fully glazed panes it likely wouldn't rattle any more than a regular 6 panel door. If it is just an interior door with panes that are pinned in place or just contained by rabbits, it would probably become rattle-city over a period of time.

-Suntan
post #5 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
3: The glass will be a low pass audio filter, right in the lower ranges.
Maybe a glass panel over a solid door, would give the look outside the theater, but not the negatives?
LL
post #6 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

As I type this they are putting sheet rocks in the room and the room is well insulated. In fact we have sound boards installed in the ceiling and thick insulation done as well.

One good thing in my favor is my wife agreed not to forego functionality for aesthetics. I think at this point instead of me getting solid exterior door in there, I may end up get acoustic panels from ATS and try to glue them to the door. I can get some of these acoustic panels with nice art work and that may take care of the interior door being hollow and not solid.

Please let me know if my train of thought makes any sense.

Cheers

Raj
post #7 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Hello Folks

I just spoke to Matthew at ATS Acoustics and they are shipping me swatches overnight for us to pick colors. I am being told that these can go over doors as well and they will have a custom cut right around where my door handle is.

I will be using these panels on my front and rear wall as well, depending on my needs.

Thanks again for all the good information you folks gave me.

Thanks
post #8 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post

As I type this they are putting sheet rocks in the room and the room is well insulated. In fact we have sound boards installed in the ceiling and thick insulation done as well.

Sorry Raj, that particular design will not keep the rumble of the sub woofers in the theater. You got some bad advice somewhere in the contracting process.

Sound board and insulation is not an effective strategy at low frequencies, ask to see their data.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Hello

Thanks for the information. I am slightly confused. I have soundboards and insulation plus using 5/8 thick sheet rock.

I will also be getting Accoustic Panels installed. I am not sure if this is still going to be an issue.

Thanks
post #10 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

An excellent place to learn about soundproofing is to read the library of articles at soundproofingcompany.com. What I'm trying to point out is that insulation and hanging soundboard is a solution suitable for reducing the sound of people talking between two rooms. It is not a soundproofing strategy to keep the sound of a home theater from reaching adjacent rooms. If you were told it is you were misled.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

I live in a single family home and only one floor. My ceiling has sound boards, insulation and sheet rock installed.

My walls I will have to check and see what is getting done. I will also check about the ceiling.

Thanks
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page