Home Addition with Basement - Sound Proofing Ceiling Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been going nuts over this with probably too much reading, so I figured it's time to get some outside opinions...

I am currently in the process of adding on to my existing house. Part of it will be a 17x23' basement room for a home theater (going to go with 2.4:1 130" screen, 2 rows of 4, etc). Sound proofing the ceiling is driving me nuts. Basically, I planned on doing a double ceiling (we've already double-framed the walls if there was a load bearing wall), to decouple the theater room. However, building the lower ceiling (using drywall, so it's not a real drop-ceiling) is proving difficult due to space restrictions, HVAC running through the main TGI joists, not wanting to use wire hangars that attach to the main floor, etc.. My question is: should I even do the double ceiling? I know there are some things to be careful of with air gaps and low frequencies. I've attached what I was thinking if we did manage to get the separate ceiling for the theater room working.

I've also thought about just running 3 or 4 layers of 5/8 drywall with green glue and ditching the separate, decoupled ceiling. I'd gain a few inches of headroom too (which isn't a big deal, since we dug out the basement to have a ~9 ft finished ceiling in the basement). I can't seem to figure out what the real STC value would be if we did 3-4 layers of 5/8 drywall + 3 tubes GG per 4x7 sheet, fully insulated between floors with blown-in insulation (most likely Optima), and then hardwood floor above.

As for what is above, it's a game room, and my office. And the floor above that (so it's 3 floors in all...) will be the guest room. Ideally I'd like limited to no sound carrying up to the office, and obviously 0 into the guest room..

I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on this, as I've gotten to the point where it's driving me nuts.

Thanks.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
If you have that much headroom, why not just use whisper clips and hat channel to decouple the ceiling? This method will only take a couple of inches and will greatly improve your results over attaching drywall directly to the joists. Plus they are strong enough to do multiple layers & Green Glue.

take a look at this information from Ted White's site on how to soundproof a ceiling.:

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...oof-a-ceiling/
post #3 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 529
If you are thinking about hardwood floor above you may want to also attack this problem from the top down. Think about a double layer sub floor above this room with Green Glue, if you have the funds float a layer of 3/4 tongue and groove OSB over a rubber mat before the hardwood goes down.

I would also recommend just going the clips, channel and green glue route.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the informative and quick replies. I have no idea how I haven't seen that article - that helps tremendously. I think I will go this route. Any idea what idea what the real world performance is from personal experience when using this sort of solution?

Thanks again.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I highly recommend calling John or Ted at the Soundproofing Company to find out more about real world numbers. They can also send you other articles to help you out with your project.

Nick
post #6 of 6 Old 01-31-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

I will definitely do that, I guess when the time comes to place an order. I was more just curious on the performance - obviously, it's as best as it can be within reason (if one considers these solutions as reasonable, haha).
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page