post #31 of 40 Old 12-08-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A list of the gear used in the Atren Theater:

TV:

Sharp LC70LE847U 70-inch Auqos 3D LED TV
Comments: Overall its a nice solution for the TV. I was originally going to get Panasonic VT50 65" but decided against it for a few reason.
-1st was the size. The difference is only 5 inches but it should be a 110" projector that wont fit due to ceiling height constraints.
-2nd After reading reviews on Cnet on the Panasonic blacks gradually degrading, the beautiful blacks no longer looks so attractive. I know they addressed the degraded quality to a gradual degrade but Panasonics public statement says it WILL still degraded over time!
-3rd the price: at $2600 (on sale for $2900 and 10% off from Sears for hurricane Sandy relief offer) the Sharp was $1000 cheaper than the VT50 65"

The TV itself overall is not bad. If I were rating it would be 3.5 out of 5 stars, eggs or whatever. My main concern with the LED was the ability to create blacks on an edge lit LED panel. I was willing to accept the fact that the blacks are slightly worse after the degradation period of the plasma. The reason I gave it 3.5 stars is the cloudiness is horrific. I'm 1 day into owning the TV and have had some thoughts of exchanging the panel. I read some threads saying if the clouding is real bad its a defective panel. Honestly its only noticeable when its pitch dark in the room and most of the screen is completely black (Like the Sony logo screen during the introduction of a movie.) Even in the darkest scenes of the movie "The Road" other than the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen you could not tell there was a clouding issue. For those of you who want an LED and have the money for the Sharp Elites you can avoid this issue. I'm not willing to spend $4500 more for my TV.

Out of the box the grey scale was pretty well calibrated (using AVS calibration software). I'm assuming this model TV goes through some sort of factory calibration before its boxed. The default settings have the Soap Opera Effect set to on and it looks absolutely hideous. My brother describes SOE the best, "it looks like the movie quality gets transposed into someone’s home camcorder film". Thanks but I like my movies to look as the directors intended. Anyway, its not a problem you can turn it off and with the 240Hz refresh rate the LED does a great job preventing ghosting with high speed motion scenes, including sport (football). The colors are vibrant out of the box but you can turn them down and get performance very close to Plasma quality.

The size of the TV is immense and the price was right, I don’t have to worry about burn in while playing video games and overall a great picture quality for epic movie experiences. I am happy with my selection.

http://www.sears.com/sharp-aquos-70inch-quattron-8482-led-smart-3d-tv/p-05771344000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Speakers:

Center: Klipsh C20 I bought this at Best Buy for $279.00. I didnt know much about speakers at the time but I trusted the Klipsh name so I went for it.
http://www.klipsch.com/c-20-center-speaker
Fronts:Klipsch WF-35 Icon-W Series Cabernet Floorstanding Loudspeaker $279.00 each (New Egg sale)
Surrounds:Klipsch WS-24 Icon-W Series Espresso Surround Speaker $179.00 each (New Egg saale)
Sub: Klipsh SW-450 Subwoofer, 10 inch 450W powered sub Purchased from Best Buy. This sub really rocks the house. I need to run Audessy calibration to balance the levels but I have it at an enjoyable level right now (probably will be considered on the hot side for bass level). I got the sub at the cost of the 8 inch since I was planing to buy the 8inch but they only had the 10inch version in stock, score! I think i got it for $350.00.
http://www.klipsch.com/sw-450-subwoofer

Receiver:

Marantz SR6006: $600 from Best Buy not a bad reciever for the price saved $600 by buying last year’s model. Missing some doohickeys that the newer models come with but I’m under the impression the audio quality should be close to the same. Most of the features are up-to-date enough to have the things that count, including Audessy technology. I dont have a 4k res TV and dont plan on having one for some time so I wont miss that feature.

Input Devices

1st Gen PS3 $400.00
X-box 360 with Connect $200.00
Samsung Blu-ray $80.00

The total for gear is about $5500.00 this is excluding lighting and wiring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Looking great!!..Thanks for the pics and info on the stage, I'm definitely going to build one as well!!
post #33 of 40 Old 12-09-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Good luck on the stage Horrorfan! When you make the bullnose lip dont use the plastic moulding it cracks when you nail it in. Nex time I'd just use wood. I also wish I wasn't so cheap with the space behind the TV if i put another foot of space I would have had enough room to walk behind my TV. Not sure how often I will actually need to access behind the stage but I right now I can actually get back there if needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 40 Old 12-10-2012, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the tips!!..Im on a very tight budget, but that stage makes the whole theater look even greater!!
post #35 of 40 Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atren View Post

Out of the box the grey scale was pretty well calibrated (using AVS calibration software).

Just a slight correction on this, we used the AVS HD 709 disc for the grayscale patterns, along with the HCFR Software and using an Eye-One Display LT meter. I was actually quite surprised how close the grayscale already was out of the box to D65 target.

(I am his brother)

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009

post #36 of 40 Old 12-11-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Nice job with the room. 13 X 25 is a nice size. Too bad about the low ceiling height, but not insurmountable. I like your sketch with the counter and tall stools behind the sofa. A great way to gain extra seating without the hassle and height constraints of a riser. I think most people find that 95% of the time seating for 4 is adequate. On the rare occassion when more is need (at least in my house) bar stools would do just fine.
I am more of a projector guy but there is certainly no denying the allure of a big bright panel which doesn't really care if the lights are on or off. Interesting to read that panels come with their own set of problems...and I thought only projectors were a pain in the @ss.

David, I think your right about only using the riser seating only for rare occasions, which is why I chose the bar stools and table top. The original intent for this room is a theater but in reality I dont have a huge house and I’m sure I will need the extra space behind the couch when kids come or for entertaining.

post #37 of 40 Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking good.

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #38 of 40 Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks

post #39 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Latest project is the back bar table top for the 2nd row seating.

Its made from maple and 1x4's and 1x3's. Overall cost has been about $260.00 but its not completed yet. It should cost another $50.00 to get the remaining pieces.

post #40 of 40 Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Looking really good.smile.gif

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page