Honest opinions on soundproofing options - Whisper Clips and hat channel worth it? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 73 Old 10-25-2013, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Full disclosure, the reason for your rework is due to improper installation from your contractor, not the isolation products and concepts correct?

Based on my reading of the last couple of pages of that build thread, you are correct.  A valid question was raised about whether or not that small amount of deviation from ideal practice is enough to cause the amount of decreased performance he is experiencing.  I've seen a couple of interesting posts (I think it may have even been in that same thread) where people have tried to measure the amount of decrease in SPL across their finished walls/ceilings.  But I think most of us really have no idea what we should be expecting as far as objective performance from our design and construction efforts.  It's definitely useful to hear other peoples' experiences knowing what kind of construction techniques they used.  I've chronicled my experience and thoughts so far in his thread.

Diamante Build in DC - Double Drywall, Green Glue, Drywall Furring Channel, Riser, Stage, Bass Trap, In-Wall Speakers, BG Radia, JTR Captivators, Seymour AV, Sony HW-50ES, Sherbourn, Panasonic, Middle Atlantic, Lutron Grafik Eye, Baffle Wall

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 10-25-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I think I understand some of the frustration. When one is making a decision in a big ticket item like sound isolation you want before and after results that you can in some way apply to your own situation. Very few people are in the position to provide this data. At the very least you would need to have measurements in that room with normal construction meaning single drywall and no decoupling etc. Then rip it down and reconstruct using some application of sound isolation which may or may not Address hvac etc and re measure the room. The noise floor inside the room is relatively straight forward to grasp. But quantifying how well the room prevents sound from escaping just has too many variables for most people to bother with. Every home is different so we can expect wildly different results. Are there hardwoods directly above? Where are the sleeping quarters? Should we measure just outside of an adjoining wall? Or maybe the door? The floor above might be the main concern. Or maybe 2 floors up where the kids sleep. And maybe the room is connected to a stairwell that is also connected to the room where the munchkins are sleeping.

I did set up my speakers and a smaller sub in my room before I ripped the drywall out and listened to the system at various levels and in several locations throughout my house. I did not take measurements of my noise floor inside the room nor did I take an spl reading. I do have my subjective impressions of the noise floor in the room and outside of it. In my situation I do have a hardwood kitchen directly above and the bedrooms are on the second floor. The room is adjoining the stairwell.

I am looking forward to doing some post subjective listening inside and outside the room at those locations for what it is worth. I will be sure to post in my thread hopefully late next month.
post #63 of 73 Old 10-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Full disclosure, the reason for your rework is due to improper installation from your contractor, not the isolation products and concepts correct?
That's right, my contractor did everything as requested except he ended up short-circuiting the clips/channel all around the perimeter of the ceiling. In my post above I was simply agreeing with RossoDiamante about the difficulty of obtaining much post-construction feedback. I was hoping I could avoid cutting open my ceiling to repair the contractor coupling error. I can only see myself living with my current situation if I had sufficient feedback that convinced me attempting a repair would not be of significant benefit. For example if others with similar construction were to tell me foot fall noise on hardwood above their theater was clearly audible inside their rooms then that might sway may to just accept my current results.
post #64 of 73 Old 10-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 235 View Post

That's right, my contractor did everything as requested except he ended up short-circuiting the clips/channel all around the perimeter of the ceiling. In my post above I was simply agreeing with RossoDiamante about the difficulty of obtaining much post-construction feedback. I was hoping I could avoid cutting open my ceiling to repair the contractor coupling error. I can only see myself living with my current situation if I had sufficient feedback that convinced me attempting a repair would not be of significant benefit. For example if others with similar construction were to tell me foot fall noise on hardwood above their theater was clearly audible inside their rooms then that might sway may to just accept my current results.
Sounds good. Wish I could give you and others meaningful feedback and data here, but as jedi pointed out above, measuring the difference between none, some and full soundproofing is not really practical for most of us DIY HT hobbyists. Initially I relied on test data from the Soundproofing Company, Erskine Group and user experiences from the forum prior to finalizing my design with EG. I think it is healthy to question test data, but at some point you either trust the source or you have to spend the $$ to test it out yourself.

I don't have quantifiable before/after measurements, but I can tell you that the noise floor inside the room is extremely quiet when the door is closed (almost creepily so). No hardwood above, but master BR is above. Sound from inside the HT is mostly inaudible to me with the exception of some really heavy LF scenes, and at that point it is a distant rumble of thunder. Nothing jarring to wake SWMBO tongue.gif.

Bottom line is it was well worth it for me. Everybody's situation and sound sensitivity is different, so hopefully there is a measurable difference for you too. Now cut that ceiling so we can see more progress pics! wink.gif
post #65 of 73 Old 11-25-2013, 03:11 PM

Liked: 10

WE ARE DOING A hHOPEFULLY PRETTY SOUNDPROOF CEILING--bwt floors in our home for a rental below. Bought mineral wool insulation for soundproofing and now want tips on resilient channel w clips or another option when we tack up the ceiling. We are in Hawaii where shipping costs are horrendous.

ANY TAKERS? The 864 sf lower floor will have mineral wool insulation and now we do:

1. Resilient channels with the clips...and how many clips or is there another way? CLIPS are 10.00 EACH! ouch!!!

Aloha

Alea

post #66 of 73 Old 11-26-2013, 04:23 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 576
post #67 of 73 Old 11-26-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was going to say the same thing! eek.gif Well under 5 bucks for a Whisper Clip.
post #68 of 73 Old 11-26-2013, 10:45 AM

I'm in HAWAII--EVERYTHING is shipped in and costs $$$. If you can find whisper clips for 5.00 that are still 5.00 after Hawaii shipment, please let me know! We are also running into shipping time. Can get the resilient track part here but wanted clips that were the iso-mount type to NOT lose ceiling height but they are 10 each as well from Australia £7.68 is around $12.88 PER CLIP. so now the whisper clips would be great but where do I find them for 5.00?

Aloha

post #69 of 73 Old 11-26-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARA View Post

I'm in HAWAII--EVERYTHING is shipped in and costs $$$. If you can find whisper clips for 5.00 that are still 5.00 after Hawaii shipment, please let me know! We are also running into shipping time. Can get the resilient track part here but wanted clips that were the iso-mount type to NOT lose ceiling height but they are 10 each as well from Australia £7.68 is around $12.88 PER CLIP. so now the whisper clips would be great but where do I find them for 5.00?
Aloha

I use The Soundproofing Company for everything I need as well as a lot of people around here. They offer great support with your projects and offer AVS'ers discounts. You could ask them what shipping would cost, give them a call.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing-products/soundproofing-clips/
maximus12105 likes this.
post #70 of 73 Old 04-26-2014, 01:22 PM

Liked: 11
First of all a HUGE thank you to Ted White for helping me out in emails, he has clarified our thinking AND allowed us to reconsider our whole approach. It seems the best approach is to make all neighbors move about 200 feet away and then to cover our house in a tent made of 5/8" boards sandwiching green glue :-)

Seriously , thanks Mr White for all your help.

theakson
post #71 of 73 Old 05-02-2014, 06:32 PM

I think I'm going to try to make my own Whisper clips...
post #72 of 73 Old 05-03-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksnboarder View Post

I think I'm going to try to make my own Whisper clips...

Is it worth the trouble?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #73 of 73 Old 05-03-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Is it worth the trouble?
Sorry! Forgot the "lol". Just wish the clips were cheaper for what they are. A couple bends in a thin piece of metal. I could make them in the metal shop I work at, but it's not worth the hassle of asking the owners for something like that.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Hat Channel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page