Fox Pointe Cinema - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 02-02-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

After much lurking through the build threads, it's time to start my own.

My wife and I just bought our first home back in September. As we looked, it was always on the list that it would be "nice" to have space for a home theater. We found a perfect home with a 1700sf unfinished basement.

Unfortunately life always throws curve balls, and 2 weeks after moving in we found out she's pregnant. So first thing we need to do is build me a new office in the basement, so the kid can have a room. And since she wants to "nest", it needs to be done before the kid is born.

So I've been thinking about the overall, and what I want to do. I've had to make some concessions, which limit my room size, but it's still pretty big.

First of here's the current state of the basement (missing a steel support beam that is in the last image):

So I have a main load bearing wall going down the middle of the basement with several openings already in place.

Here's the builder's recommendation for finishing the space:

And here is my thoughts for the basement/theater design (I haven't put the surrounds on the floor plan, but they'll probably end up being in-wall's):

SWMBO insists on the bathroom, so it's going in. I was thinking of moving it to the area we are placing a storage room (as there is a drain against the outside wall there, so moving it wouldn't be too bad), but I lost that one. That leaves me with an 21'x18'x7.5' room.

The first thing I need to decide is if I'm going to change anything in the theater, will it affect how I build the office. I am a bit worried about the equipment rack being on the side of the screen. I was thinking I could put a smoked plexi door over it to dim the lights, or something similar. At one point I considered putting it where the office door is, and going back into the office. I would then put the office door further up where the closet opening is on the builder recommended floor plan, but SWMBO prefers that we build it with the thought that it can become a bedroom easily if needed.

This will be made on a lower end budget. I don't plan to do full sound isolation, but will do some simple things like double sheetrock w/GG, Roxul Safe & Sound on interior walls and the ceiling. The things I do end up doing, I want to do right.

I'd love to hear opinions on the floor plan, if something doesn't work well, and other ideas on ways I can go with this.

There have been some builds that take a long long time on here. I hope mine isn't as long as some, but it's still going to take me time. And I am excited to start!

- Michael

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-02-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I like that you're far from the stairwell. Good for sound isolation. Save some $ and buy the cheapest insulation you can find. R19 in ceiling, R13 in walls.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #3 of 27 Old 02-02-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Do you need the family room in the basement?

If not, you could just put your office where the family room (big open space with corner desk or something), and then use the whole office/theater space for the theater. Put it the other direction so the screen is at the bottom of the plan and you could have the equipment and a nice little bar area where the second row of seating is currenlty.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #4 of 27 Old 02-02-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

I like that you're far from the stairwell. Good for sound isolation. Save some $ and buy the cheapest insulation you can find. R19 in ceiling, R13 in walls.

Being away from the stairs is nice, and we've talked about a little dry bar in the family room, so it ends up acting like a foyer. So you wouldn't worry about using a more acoustic insulation? Definitely makes the ceiling easier as some of that is already there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Do you need the family room in the basement?

If not, you could just put your office where the family room (big open space with corner desk or something), and then use the whole office/theater space for the theater. Put it the other direction so the screen is at the bottom of the plan and you could have the equipment and a nice little bar area where the second row of seating is currenlty.

I definitely could move my office into the family room area, but the big problem is that load bearing wall separating the office and theater. Even if I went through the added cost to open it up, it would leave me with a huge beam in the middle of the ceiling to support the weight.

When I get home tonight I'll take some pictures of the existing space to better visualize what's there now.

- Michael

post #5 of 27 Old 02-02-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Nice to see another Utah theater. If this were my room and it had to be located in the corner of the basement that you have it in, I would remove the bathroom and do a half bath where the storage is by the stairs. I do not think you really need a full bath with 2 sinks for a single bedroom. Your rear seats are too close to the back wall. I would also get rid of the Den doorway and do a small hallway in the mechanical room to the Den.

The doorway for the Den is going to get in the way. You've also got a good width to work with but some of that width will be of no use if you have to leave room to that doorway. I think removing that door opens up a lot more options to move the seating and stuff away from the side wall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

One other thing I would do is center the screen in the room and do a false wall. You do not really need a door do get behind the wall. Just make removable panels.

post #7 of 27 Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

This is what the room would look like with the changes I suggested.

Edit - Forgot the hallway and door to the Den. - For the mechanical room you could do closet doors for easy access. I also placed the equipment rack in the mechanical room, but there are lots of options for the rack. With this configuration you could do a wider screen - and move the first row seating back a bit. It will also have much better sound in the rear row.

post #8 of 27 Old 02-02-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

How about a configuration like this:

With the theater on the other side your door doesn't have to be in the back. You can have your seats centered on the room instead of off to the side like they are now. The theater would also be a little bigger.

You could look into trying to do a full bath in the spot where Stockmonkey and I both marked. I did one in a 5'x8' space with a corner shower. Here's some pics:

Just some thoughts for you to think about.

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #9 of 27 Old 02-02-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I like the idea of entering from the side which would allow more centered seating. The second option does use up more of the Den space for the hallway.

Here is another option but would require a beam. You would also have to make the equipment room bigger to fit the water softener. The Den would also be smaller and harder to arrange being so small. The bedroom is fairly large so the bedroom could be made smaller.

post #10 of 27 Old 02-02-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah you would have to sacrifice some den/office space with the configuration that I put together because of the hallway but it was the best I could come up with for a side entrance and a bigger space without removing that load bearing wall and replacing it with a beam.

You could get rid of the hallway and have the bedroom entrance in the den to get more space. Make the office more of an open room with a desk and some shelving in it and then the bedroom off of it.

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #11 of 27 Old 02-02-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I am with Stockmonkey's second design (the long theater). Only my tweak would be to leave the bath where it is, and then do a narrow office adjacent to it, with a built in desk with two work spaces and shelving on the wall, kind of like this (but narrower):

It would be a bit claustro-phobic, but when I work from home I am staring at a laptop or making phone calls. I can use table space to spread out papers, but don't need much more.

I'd then set the width at the 15' width of your original office design.

Dave

|
|
|
post #12 of 27 Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

To start of here's some pictures of the basement, and some obstacles I completely spaced mentioning.

First off, this is from inside the theater space, looking at the office area:

This is the opposite, inside the office looking toward the theater. The big thing here that I completely forgot about is the HVAC ducting. It runs the width of the basement along that side of the load bearing wall:

Looking toward where the screen wall would be:

From the screen wall looking back (great support for that drain/vent pipe!):

The utility area from the family room looking toward the theater:

And finally the area that Stockmonkey recommended the hallway (the 2 post rack in the background is not permanently mounted, and can be moved):

- Michael

post #13 of 27 Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

Nice to see another Utah theater. If this were my room and it had to be located in the corner of the basement that you have it in, I would remove the bathroom and do a half bath where the storage is by the stairs. I do not think you really need a full bath with 2 sinks for a single bedroom. Your rear seats are too close to the back wall. I would also get rid of the Den doorway and do a small hallway in the mechanical room to the Den.

The doorway for the Den is going to get in the way. You've also got a good width to work with but some of that width will be of no use if you have to leave room to that doorway. I think removing that door opens up a lot more options to move the seating and stuff away from the side wall.

I've loved watching your theater build come along, and am excited to see your final pictures.

I definitely agree that I don't need that huge bathroom, but I've been over ruled. My wife wants storage space if we need that additional bedroom. She's also concerned about resale, which is valid, so she's worried about straying too much where the office and theater couldn't be turned into bedrooms easily.

For the rear platform I was looking at the Lane Matinee 103's. The brochure says they only need 68" fully reclined, but they are the same design as the Berkline Reno's which the manuals say need 74.5". Granted with the platform only being 78" it doesn't leave much wiggle room, and no room to walk past a fully reclined chair.

I see what you are saying about the hallway. I've added it in a new mockup at the bottom.

Quote:

One other thing I would do is center the screen in the room and do a false wall. You do not really need a door do get behind the wall. Just make removable panels.

The main reason for the door originally was access to the rear of the rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

How about a configuration like this:

With the theater on the other side your door doesn't have to be in the back. You can have your seats centered on the room instead of off to the side like they are now. The theater would also be a little bigger.

You could look into trying to do a full bath in the spot where Stockmonkey and I both marked. I did one in a 5'x8' space with a corner shower. Here's some pics:

Just some thoughts for you to think about.

I mocked it out in software, and I could fit a full bath easily in that storage space, but I'm getting overruled by my wife. She wants storage space.

Quote:

I like the idea of entering from the side which would allow more centered seating. The second option does use up more of the Den space for the hallway.

Here is another option but would require a beam. You would also have to make the equipment room bigger to fit the water softener. The Den would also be smaller and harder to arrange being so small. The bedroom is fairly large so the bedroom could be made smaller.

I showed it in a picture above, but I forgot that I have lots of ducting running there. Possible to move yes, but with doing a beam and only having a 7'5" height to the bottom of my floor joists, I think it will make it feel short and cramped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Yeah you would have to sacrifice some den/office space with the configuration that I put together because of the hallway but it was the best I could come up with for a side entrance and a bigger space without removing that load bearing wall and replacing it with a beam.

You could get rid of the hallway and have the bedroom entrance in the den to get more space. Make the office more of an open room with a desk and some shelving in it and then the bedroom off of it.

The open space idea does sound pretty good, but it's sometimes nice to be able to get away and shut the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

I am with Stockmonkey's second design (the long theater). Only my tweak would be to leave the bath where it is, and then do a narrow office adjacent to it, with a built in desk with two work spaces and shelving on the wall, kind of like this (but narrower):

It would be a bit claustro-phobic, but when I work from home I am staring at a laptop or making phone calls. I can use table space to spread out papers, but don't need much more.

I'd then set the width at the 15' width of your original office design.

I definitely need an office larger than that. I've always been a computer enthusiast, and will have several PC's in the room. I'd also like to get in two work tables, one for computers and one for general electronics/soldering station. A narrow office just won't cut it for me.

So I did make up another mockup with the hallway:

I like moving the rack there. The main electrical panel is in the utility room, so it would definitely be easier with the rack in the office. It will also be really easy to move furniture into the office. I was initially concerned if there would be space to replace the furnace and water heater, but with a 3' wide hall way any replacements should easily fit.

I've moved the screen wall back 1 foot, giving me a bit more distance to seating positions. I've also centered the screen, and moved the seating closer to center. They aren't perfect, but it's better than it was.

- Michael

post #14 of 27 Old 02-03-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I like it.

Consider putting a step outside the room so you enter at riser height.

If you are a computer guy I think you will prefer to have the rack rear in your office.

Dave

|
|
|
post #15 of 27 Old 02-03-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

You're completely right about having the rear of the rack in the office. I'll have some sound bleed for sure, but I won't mind it.

I think I'll want to keep the riser to a minimum due to the ceiling height. If the door level is higher to enter on the riser, I'd probably end up with just over a 6' ceiling there. I'm 6', my wife is 5'10", so we'll both feel it. Ducking a bit when on the riser going to or from your seat isn't as bad as every time walking into the room.

- Michael

post #16 of 27 Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Can't tell from the photos - is the plumbing already roughed in for the bathroom? If not, I'd really suggest you make that bar a "wet" bar. Having a sink makes it much more useful as you have a place to empty glasses, get water, etc. instead of having to carry liquids upstairs (or to the bathroom).

Can't be much more money to add another sink rough-in nearby if the plumbers are there to do a full bath...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #17 of 27 Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

All the drains for the bathroom are already roughed in. To make the bar area a wet bar would require busting up concrete. As the bedroom will be the last thing finished probably years from now, it will be possible to add it if we decide it's something we need.

- Michael

post #18 of 27 Old 02-03-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman981 View Post

All the drains for the bathroom are already roughed in. To make the bar area a wet bar would require busting up concrete.

Well, rats, scratch that then - I'd do it if they were going to be busting up concrete already. Making a new separate mess, not so much.

Quote:

As the bedroom will be the last thing finished probably years from now, it will be possible to add it if we decide it's something we need.

Yeah, 'need' is probably hard to justify...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #19 of 27 Old 05-02-2014, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

So life has happened... I moved my office from upstairs to the unfinished basement. Then the kid came. Now two years later my wife really wants him to have more room to play, so the basement is FINALLY getting finished. Although I'm still going to be a long way out from a theater. frown.gif BUT! I get to do some of the starting work! biggrin.gif

So we ended up deciding to do what the builder originally recommended. It's going to mean a much smaller theater unfortunately. Er, cozier... yeah cozy... wink.gif We had our first contractor come out to get a bid started today, and have another one coming on Tuesday. We are going to try to have them do everything but the theater. Unfortunately I think it will eat up our budget doing it, so the theater will be piecemeal over the next several years.

So here is the final floor plan:

And more detail on what I'm thinking for the theater (it's a quick dirty look at it):

So the green area is a soffit. The back wall is load bearing, and already in place. On the other side of the back wall there will be a soffit for the HVAC, with about 1'x2' of space that everything will run down to the utility room. But I need to make sure I have everything I need there before it gets drywalled.

Some things I've decided:
  • Bathroom shared wall will be 2x6 staggered stud. All walls/ceiling will have whisper clip, channel, DD+GG
  • All the equipment will be in a full server size rack in the utility room. The rack will run off a dedicated 20A circuit. The projector's power will run back to the rack so it can be on UPS power.
  • I'm going to do a removable windows plug for a fire escape, but it will be behind the screen wall.
  • Conduit definitely for the video out to the projector. Here we see HDMI 2.0 on it's way out, and we all know these standards change... walls are more expensive. wink.gif
  • Conduit to the front for at least the speaker cables/sub cables, and IR repeater

So the things I need to plan...
  • Wiring for a Grafik Eye - My electrician came tonight to start up his bid, but it sounds like he can just pull the power from the outlets to run all the lighting zones. This puts the entire room on the same circuit. So eventual load will just be Subs, outlets (rarely used), lights, theater chairs. Sound OK?
  • Anything else I need to, or should run back to the equipment rack for the Grafik Eye? Cat 6? RS-232? Empty low voltage conduit at least? I haven't picked a model yet.
  • Minimum wiring would be 7.1, but I'd like to have wires in place for the future. So front heights for sure. Rear center? Other?
  • Where should I run smurf tube to, and how many? Should I just have 3-4 end at the wall, and have the cables coming out run through the soffit?
  • What else should I run back to the closet? A wall mount HDMI input for someone to bring a game console (I'm a PC gamer...)?
  • What am I missing?

Further down the road:
  • How many Zones for the Grafik Eye? I'm currently thinking: 1 - Screen recessed LED's, 2 - In soffit recessed LED's, 3 - Wall sconces, 4 - step/riser lights, 5 - rope light, 6 - black lights in the soffit to charge a future Night Sky Murals ceiling? Or should the recessed lighting along the back wall(above the rear row) be it's own zone? Something I'm missing?
  • Should I do the wall sconces on the pillars, or centered between them. And the opposite for the recessed LED's.
  • Power at the column, or outside it?
  • Do I cover up the little cubby (fireplace above), making the sheetrock much easier, or keep it, putting shelves or something in there? I don't want to put equipment there. Maybe a place to plug in a playstation?

I'm getting excited. Which I shouldn't as I know it won't be done for years, but getting the basement framed will be a huge step in getting this going.

Thanks for your input!

- Michael

post #20 of 27 Old 05-29-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Contractor is hired, starts on June 16th... We had to back off on his scope of work due to budget concerns, so he will be doing the framing, HVAC, plumbing, & insulation. We were going to have a friend of my wife do the electrical, but he's too busy, so I'll be doing it. The nice part will be that we'll be able to have all the inspections except the final inspection done, so then I can run whatever I want with plenty of time and not have the contractor pushing me so he can put up the sheetrock removing my access.

So today's question (provided it actually receives any responses...): I was thinking of running the speaker wire directly (2 conductor 12 ga in wall rated stuff) to each speaker location. I'll be wiring for 12.2, even though it's a small room and it'll be years before I put speakers at the ends. Since I know I'll be putting the cable there, is there any reason I should put it in smurf tube, rather than directly in the wall? I could put one in for behind the screen wall just in case (and will have other's there for other cables most likely), but at the side and rear speaker locations... does it really buy me much, or just a waste of money at that point?

- Michael

post #21 of 27 Old 05-29-2014, 04:14 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman981 View Post

Contractor is hired, starts on June 16th... We had to back off on his scope of work due to budget concerns, so he will be doing the framing, HVAC, plumbing, & insulation. We were going to have a friend of my wife do the electrical, but he's too busy, so I'll be doing it. The nice part will be that we'll be able to have all the inspections except the final inspection done, so then I can run whatever I want with plenty of time and not have the contractor pushing me so he can put up the sheetrock removing my access.

So today's question (provided it actually receives any responses...): I was thinking of running the speaker wire directly (2 conductor 12 ga in wall rated stuff) to each speaker location. I'll be wiring for 12.2, even though it's a small room and it'll be years before I put speakers at the ends. Since I know I'll be putting the cable there, is there any reason I should put it in smurf tube, rather than directly in the wall? I could put one in for behind the screen wall just in case (and will have other's there for other cables most likely), but at the side and rear speaker locations... does it really buy me much, or just a waste of money at that point?

run 3" gray pvc pipe from equipment area to hehind where your screen will that way you can run your front speaker wire and wire for subs.
also don't forget to do the same to your projector location as for the speaker locations around the room just run smurf tubing to each location.

Falcon Screens

post #22 of 27 Old 05-29-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman981 View Post

I wouldn't bother with smurf tube to the speaker locations, since there isn't any other technology likely to require something besides speaker wire at those locations. That, and adding numerous additional conduits will make a huge vine that has to be dealt with at the head end.

I'd save the conduit runs for the screen wall and projector locations. And run all that speaker wire outside the conduit, just ensure it's protected from the drywall crew.
Quote:
Wiring for a Grafik Eye - My electrician came tonight to start up his bid, but it sounds like he can just pull the power from the outlets to run all the lighting zones. This puts the entire room on the same circuit. So eventual load will just be Subs, outlets (rarely used), lights, theater chairs. Sound OK?

Just note it's a pain to work in a room with the lighting and outlets on the same circuit - you'll have to bring in work lamps for any electrical work, since having the circuit off will put you in the dark...
Quote:
Anything else I need to, or should run back to the equipment rack for the Grafik Eye? Cat 6? RS-232? Empty low voltage conduit at least? I haven't picked a model yet.

An IR cable from the GrafikEye - likely officially a PELV wire at least inside the box to stay within code. I pigtailed a section of PELV to a connector in the attic, then IR wire back to the rack.
Quote:
What else should I run back to the closet? A wall mount HDMI input for someone to bring a game console (I'm a PC gamer...)?

Not a bad idea. I'd also make sure you have "convenience" cat5e / cat6 jacks around the room to connect anything to the network, certainly the same around the chairs. If you think you may want buttkickers, speaker wire to each row along with an RG6 or cat5 (for line-level to amp placed around the seats).

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #23 of 27 Old 05-30-2014, 03:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

I agree - false wall to house the screen and speakers and maybe put the equipment rack in the office. Would mean you could push the wall back and gain some more room in the cinema.

post #24 of 27 Old 05-30-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

run 3" gray pvc pipe from equipment area to hehind where your screen will that way you can run your front speaker wire and wire for subs.
also don't forget to do the same to your projector location as for the speaker locations around the room just run smurf tubing to each location.
3" does sound nice for fitting a bunch in. I'll definitely keep that in mind for behind the screen wall, and the projector location. That does allow a lot of room for changes to the front if needed. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I wouldn't bother with smurf tube to the speaker locations, since there isn't any other technology likely to require something besides speaker wire at those locations. That, and adding numerous additional conduits will make a huge vine that has to be dealt with at the head end.
I'm thinking that's probably best. It saves money, and I can do the giant 3" ones to the places that really matter.
Quote:

I'd save the conduit runs for the screen wall and projector locations. And run all that speaker wire outside the conduit, just ensure it's protected from the drywall crew.
(un?)fortunately with the budget restraints, I'll be the drywall crew. :S
Quote:

Just note it's a pain to work in a room with the lighting and outlets on the same circuit - you'll have to bring in work lamps for any electrical work, since having the circuit off will put you in the dark...
Not really different than any other room... but I'll look at my panel to see if I can throw another circuit in.
Quote:

An IR cable from the GrafikEye - likely officially a PELV wire at least inside the box to stay within code. I pigtailed a section of PELV to a connector in the attic, then IR wire back to the rack.
Awesome! Just what I needed to know! Thank you!
Quote:

Not a bad idea. I'd also make sure you have "convenience" cat5e / cat6 jacks around the room to connect anything to the network, certainly the same around the chairs. If you think you may want buttkickers, speaker wire to each row along with an RG6 or cat5 (for line-level to amp placed around the seats).
I was planning 4 cat6 to behind the screen wall. I should be able to run some network in the same conduit as where the aux input devices are terminated (I currently would do HDMI, possibly RGB+LR stereo (I should probably do the 3" to that location too... )).

I hadn't thought of the chair area... What reasons do you see for there?

If I did install buttkickers down the road would I just need a single pair of speaker wire, or are they multi channel (per buttkicker?)

I think I'm seeing a run of conduit to the floor to provide whatever for the seating...

So that puts me at 4 runs of conduit:
  1. Behind the screen wall
  2. Projector location
  3. Auxiliary input location
  4. Seating area

I could mix some 2" smurf tube with 3" PVC... or whatever is cheaper for the size wink.gif

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

- Michael

post #25 of 27 Old 05-30-2014, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChester View Post

I agree - false wall to house the screen and speakers and maybe put the equipment rack in the office. Would mean you could push the wall back and gain some more room in the cinema.
That is definitely going to happen. You probably missed a later post, but the equipment rack will be basically 2 rooms away. Noise to the theater won't be an issue at all! (My office on the other hand... we'll see. wink.gif)

I'm currently planning to do the goal post style screen wall, so it will allow for pretty much maximum acoustic transparency from the speakers behind it. I'm thinking it will be about 2' out from the back wall. Enough room for all the speakers that my wife will ever let me buy. wink.gif

- Michael

post #26 of 27 Old 06-25-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yesterday the framing crew finished up. I did a walk though with the contractor and only found a handful of things to fix. Then the HVAC crew came in and put in most of the vents. And of course they also put in the returns... and in the process destroyed the sound wall between the bathroom and the theater.

Idiots!

At first I was just worried about the 4 gang box I'll need for the graphic eye I plan to install for the theater. Then I thought more about it... I can't insulate it, so it's a hollow cavity, thus amplifying any sound. Then I realized with the whisper clips and channel to hang the drywall, it won't be a closed space anyway and completely pointless. It just got me angrier and angrier as I thought about it last night, so I let my contractor have it. They will end up fixing that wall back to a 2x6 staggered stud wall, and putting the return in the ceiling. The supply they put in is currently positioned on the ceiling behind the screen wall, then the return should end up on the ceiling at the back of the theater. Not ideal for the HVAC system, but better for the theater. HVAC guys are supposed to finish the last vents today, and the plumber was supposed to start today as well, but neither has shown up yet.

I'm going to have to decide what I want to do in the future. I may rip sections of the ducts out and install silencers, plus wrap them to quiet them down. Supply in front of the screen? I'm going to be pretty much set on where it is side to side... unless I do flex duct to the sides of the soffit. I do think the return will end up in a soffit. Perhaps I can duct the projector into the return to push it away from the room.

This weekend I start pulling electrical, and have about a month until we plan to schedule the inspection. After that the only theater work will be stuff I need before access is cut off by sheetrock, such as conduit. Then I have to finish the rest of the basement completely before I can get back to the theater. 1 year? I'm hopeful.

- Michael

post #27 of 27 Old 08-22-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

The contractor's HVAC people never came back to fix the wall... so I did it, and billed the contractor for my labor. It's all set. Wiring is done, and I ended up wiring for 11.2.4, as it was just running speaker wire.

So the contractor is done with his part, and I've completed all but the final inspection. I have my sheetrock for the rest of the basement delivered, and my wife is pushing me to get it all done because just like last time I got ready to start... she's pregnant again. I need to time these things better...

Anyway... I need to fix the HVAC for the theater, and family room above it. I'm going to have to leave it between the 10" wide floor joists, so the flex duct won't be able to have a lot of bends in it. Is there something else I should do instead of flex duct, or in addition since they will be mostly straight runs? How far back should I take the flex, all the way to the supply, or is from where it enters the room sufficient?

Here's some pics showing the current HVAC:

I also need to deal with a single drain, and vent for a bathroom upstairs that is just over the back corner of the theater, where the door is. I don't want to move them... Should I box them in, and then put a layer of drywall over them w/GG?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140821_195240_Android.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	224433   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140821_195218_Android.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	224441   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140821_195130_Android.jpg
Views:	10