/// Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc - BD9 (DVD-DL Media + BD50) \\\ - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1360 Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejayht View Post

Great project. I have an Oppo BDP-83 BD player. I would like to download the BD demo disc, but do not have a BD burner on my Dell computer. Could someone recommend an inexpensive BD burner that would work for my situation? Are these BD burners something that is added to computer externally or do I need to remove one of my DVD drives already in my computer?

Hi mate,
I purchased an external Bluray burner, meaning that's it's a drive installed inside a box with power connections. This connects via a USB cable to your computer. Saves you pulling your PC apart. I have an LG model and no real issues. Picked it up new on EBay in Sydney for about 120 bucks. Genuine LG drive, generic brand casing. May be cheaper in your parts.
Cheers
Greg.

Follow my thread here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1360 Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

Great project. I have an Oppo BDP-83 BD player. I would like to download the BD demo disc, but do not have a BD burner on my Dell computer. Could someone recommend an inexpensive BD burner that would work for my situation? Are these BD burners something that is added to computer externally or do I need to remove one of my DVD drives already in my computer?

This is why each of the five parts is available as a BD9, which can be burned to a DVD-DL and played as an AVCHD disc. Have you tried that?

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #543 of 1360 Old 04-14-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Also a big thanks to superleo! The individual segments are awesome and I can't wait to try the full version!

If you already have the five parts, the "full version" just adds menus and navigation. You can download the (okay, my) DIY version (see post 7) to save a lot of time and still get the "full version."

post #544 of 1360 Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 215
No issues, at least burning or visually, with the BD50 version on my Panasonic 210. I finally was able to get the projector I bought 4 months ago hooked up and I needed something to test with. Now if I just had the speakers hooked up..... Oh I burned it on to Verbatim media at 4x with no problems.
post #545 of 1360 Old 04-14-2012, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I looked at both internal and external drives. External is certainly is less hassle since you don't have to install, but all the external drives I found used USB2.0. I guessed for reliability of burning internal would be best so that is what I went with. It only takes 15 minutes to install. Just plug the SATA plug into the motherboard and attach power. I bought the LG BH12LS38 at Fry's http://www.frys.com/product/6745005 I had one optical drive bay open, but you could certainly remove a DVD drive to make room.

Burning at 2X last night was the ticket. All went well. The family is out this morning so I am cranking up the demo "way too loud".
post #546 of 1360 Old 04-14-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker View Post

When I said open MultiAVCHD and look in the left hand lower corner, I don't mean open the multiAVCHD folder like you did. I mean run the program MultiAVCHD and look at the bottom left hand corner where it tells you your "destination path". THEN, use windows explorer to go to that location on your hard drive.

In your list of stuff in the MultiAVCHD folder, you listed BDRA. Looks like you found your destination path already. Remember that the BDRA folder is what you are renaming to AVCHD and putting on your thumb drive. I know it can be easy to get buried in the details, but look back at the instructions and get familiar with the basic steps.

Hi mtucker, with your patient, help and guidance I was able to dl the demo to the thumb drive. I truly can't thank you enough for such a great learning experience. Now after all this, just founded out my computer has a burner (not sure if its a DVD or BD burner) . Guess I will re-read some these pages on how to burn it, hopefully its easier than the thumb drive .

And superleo, thanks again for the excellent demo's and the hard work you put into this.
post #547 of 1360 Old 04-14-2012, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Big Thanks to Everyone involved in this project and all the seeders. This gave me an idea to create a Horror movie bluray demo with all the scenes which make you jump out of your seat with heart pounding!.
post #548 of 1360 Old 04-14-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

If you already have the five parts, the "full version" just adds menus and navigation. You can download the (okay, my) DIY version (see post 7) to save a lot of time and still get the "full version."

Thanks LastButNotLeast. I saw that but decided that I might as well just do the torrent and then become one of the seeders to help everyone else out. It is certainly a very cool idea though so kudos to you!

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #549 of 1360 Old 04-14-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 785
SuperLeo - we used your disc a bit during today's speaker meet in Wisconsin. It is an excellent disc -- thanks for sharing.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #550 of 1360 Old 04-15-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Archaea's sig has a link to the music file they used for the sub "shoot out" which will really rattle your molars and windows:

http://kiwi6.com/file/vo80ks3b34

post #551 of 1360 Old 04-15-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
A bit surprising that they used an mp3 file instead of lossless.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #552 of 1360 Old 04-15-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post

A bit surprising that they used an mp3 file instead of lossless.

Doesn't have to be lossless to shake the rafters, just has to use the right frequencies and be turned up stupid loud.
post #553 of 1360 Old 04-15-2012, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi mtucker, with your patient, help and guidance I was able to dl the demo to the thumb drive. I truly can't thank you enough for such a great learning experience. Now after all this, just founded out my computer has a burner (not sure if its a DVD or BD burner) . Guess I will re-read some these pages on how to burn it, hopefully its easier than the thumb drive .
And superleo, thanks again for the excellent demo's and the hard work you put into this.

Glad to hear you got it working. I thought you might have given up on it, but I could tell you were getting very close. More than likely your computer has a DVD reader/writer or a Bluray reader only, but you never know until you check. I don't plan on burning Bluray disks very often, but since the price of a reader/writer VS reader was small I figured I'd go with the writer.

Writing to a Bluray disk is easier than doing the Hard drive/MultiAVCHD process. If you ever get to that point, ScubaSteve has a nice tutorial on his demo Bluray thread and the Imgburn website has a nice guide too. http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=9512 My only problem I had was being greedy with the write speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Archaea's sig has a link to the music file they used for the sub "shoot out" which will really rattle your molars and windows: http://kiwi6.com/file/vo80ks3b34

Thanks for the link. I am always looking for material to torture my old Adire Audio Tempest sub.
post #554 of 1360 Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

When I'm at ImgBurn website where do I click tp download ImgBurm? There nothing but advertisement Download and it takes me to downlaod "InstallQ" ... is this the same as ImgBurn? Also notice they have different "Mirror" (1 through 7) but the same version v2.5.7.0. Am I suppose to click one of these Mirror dl for the ImgBurn?
post #555 of 1360 Old 04-15-2012, 08:19 PM

Liked: 148
Yes, click a mirror. Mirror 7 is the easiest to use, I have found.
post #556 of 1360 Old 04-16-2012, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Yes, click a mirror. Mirror 7 is the easiest to use, I have found.

Hi cybrsage, got it dl now. Do I still need to do the "Extract Here" before dragging it to ImgBurm?
post #557 of 1360 Old 04-17-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:

Hi cybrsage, got it dl now. Do I still need to do the "Extract Here" before dragging it to ImgBurm?

Yes.
post #558 of 1360 Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Yes.

Great, and do I also have to rename the BDRA file to AVCHD before dragging it to ImgBurn?
post #559 of 1360 Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 AM

Not sure past that point, I never actually burn to disc.
post #560 of 1360 Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 221
If you are burning the "regular full version" of the BD50 onto a bluray DL disc...

Once you have the RAR 36GB file on your computer, unRAR the file by extracting it. Once extracted you will have the BDMV structure folder and a CERTIFICATE folder. At this point you can play the disc locally on your computer through TMT or PowerDVD or burn it to disc. With Imgburn open, click on the icon "write files/folder to disc" drag the BDMV folder into imgburn, click the calculator icon and will give you disc information. Click on the "label tab" and write a description for the disc. Then, click the icon to start burning; you'll get a prompt to write the CERTIFIATE folder say yes...once done that is it... test your disc.

The steps of changing the folder's to AVCHD etc are to make the smaller discs play on a PS3 from a thumb drive, if you are burning any of the discs to bluray disc, either 25G (for the smaller segments) or to a 50G DL disc (for the full version), there are no compatibility issues with any player.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #561 of 1360 Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ thanks superleo.
Just notice its not utorrent when I try to download Animation and Music Disc from post #3 and #4 respectively.
It download as RAR_Animation_Segment.zip and Rar_Music_Segment.zip.
post #562 of 1360 Old 04-18-2012, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^ thanks superleo.
Just notice its not utorrent when I try to download Animation and Music Disc from post #3 and #4 respectively.
It download as RAR_Animation_Segment.zip and Rar_Music_Segment.zip.

Sorry for the confusion if its not clear. These "tracker files" to be used with any torrent client are contained on a ZIP file, once you unziped the file you are left with the regular .torrent tracker. These torrents inside the zip files are the same files as before.

We did this so the torrent trackers won't be automatically deleted from mediafire for "violation" , whatever that means, since they have the right to delete anything they want with out notice.

So just to make it clear, the trackers are contained inside the ZIP file for all files, except the DIY file for the BD50 disc its a torrent file not a ZIP file.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #563 of 1360 Old 04-19-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm a bit behind in this download technology so please excuse my noobness.

When I click the mediafire RaR_Animation_Segment.zip (post #3), do I Open or Save or Both or Save As?

If clicked open, I didn't find it under download section of my computer but did locate it at WinRaR. When double click it didn't offer an option to "Zip" or "Extract Here" or any option to send it to utorrent.

(Option are: Select All, Add Files to Archive, Extract to the Specified Folder, Test Archived Files, View File, Delete Files, Repair Archive, Extract without Confirmation, Show Information, Set Default Password, Add to Favorites, Create a new Folder, Rename, View As, Sort By and Change Drive)
post #564 of 1360 Old 04-19-2012, 07:31 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

When I click the mediafire RaR_Animation_Segment.zip (post #3), do I Open or Save or Both or Save As?

If clicked open, I didn't find it under download section of my computer but did locate it at WinRaR. When double click it didn't offer an option to "Zip" or "Extract Here" or any option to send it to utorrent.

(Option are: Select All, Add Files to Archive, Extract to the Specified Folder, Test Archived Files, View File, Delete Files, Repair Archive, Extract without Confirmation, Show Information, Set Default Password, Add to Favorites, Create a new Folder, Rename, View As, Sort By and Change Drive)

This is the torrent file that is contained w/in a zip file. Once you've downloaded that and opened the zip archive, it should contain a torrent file, which you should be able to double-click and download the torrent containing the segments for the Animation demo clips.
post #565 of 1360 Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 AM

First off I'd like to thank SuperLeo and any of the other AVS members that have contributed to the demo material in this thread, heck of a job!

I've downloaded the full BD50 reference, which I'm currently seeding and have copied to an external HD to view through my Oppo BDP-93 via USB. I'm able to load it just fine, access different portions of the material (visual, surround, music, etc.) from the main menu, however when a clip starts playing, after 5-10 seconds or so, it starts to either break up, losing audio sync resulting in no audio or skip seconds to another portion of the clip and does not play smoothly. I've tried several of the clips to see if it's bitrate related or only particular clips, but it does not seem to be. I find if I rewind the clip for a few seconds, it regains its composure, but only for another 5-7 seconds, then begins to fall apart again.

I've got several ISO and BD folder movies (BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders under root movie folder) that work just fine on the same hard drive, regardless of bitrate and material, so it doesn't seem to be cable or HW related. I've considered trying another HD to see if that works, but considering other BD movies in ISO or BD folder structures work just fine on the same drive, I'm not sure it will make a difference. Also to note, I've never seen this behavior on any other BDs or HD based BDs, including the titles the reference clips were created from and I've watched them in the same setup.

Has anyone else experienced this or come across any similar issues with the full BD reference? I have downloaded the animation and surround previously, but have not played them yet or on the same drive, but I may do so just for reference. I'd considered getting a BD burner, but I'd hate to spend another $130-$150 just to have the same problem on a shiny disc.

Any suggestions or input is most welcome, thanks in advance. -TD
post #566 of 1360 Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All the files on the first page under their respective segments are files for the torrents. These should be saved to the harddrive first. Once downloaded they need to be extracted. Extract here works and its probably the easiest. Remember that to extract the ZIP file (torrent tracker) you need the password ("AVSFORUM"). Once the tracker is extracted you can just double click on it and will open the torrent client that will start the download.

Once the torrent finishes downloading, this file is also a compress file (RAR file), it needs to be extracted too (extract here would work too).

post #567 of 1360 Old 04-19-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd51 View Post

... heck of a job!

Has anyone else experienced this or come across any similar issues with the full BD reference? ...

Thanks...

I can't comment on how the Oppo plays through USB, but its my experience that when burn to an actual BD50 disc it plays flawlessly. I've physically tested it on an Insignia, Magnavox, Samsung, PS3 and Sony BDP-CX960 with no problems.

If you have a another drive that you can use might not be a bad idea.

post #568 of 1360 Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 AM

Thanks, Leo.

Yeah, I may give that a shot just for the heck of it, just strange behavior. I've never had any issues playing BD material from HD before and the fact that the Oppo should access data at a quicker rate from the HD as opposed to the disc drive, it doesn't make much sense, but I'll see what I can find out... -TD
post #569 of 1360 Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

Once the tracker is extracted you can just double click on it and will open the torrent client that will start the download.

Assuming, of course, that you have Bit Torrent or uTorrent installed.
They are free downloads if you don't have one yet.

post #570 of 1360 Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd51 View Post

First off I'd like to thank SuperLeo and any of the other AVS members that have contributed to the demo material in this thread, heck of a job!

I've downloaded the full BD50 reference, which I'm currently seeding and have copied to an external HD to view through my Oppo BDP-93 via USB. I'm able to load it just fine, access different portions of the material (visual, surround, music, etc.) from the main menu, however when a clip starts playing, after 5-10 seconds or so, it starts to either break up, losing audio sync resulting in no audio or skip seconds to another portion of the clip and does not play smoothly. I've tried several of the clips to see if it's bitrate related or only particular clips, but it does not seem to be. I find if I rewind the clip for a few seconds, it regains its composure, but only for another 5-7 seconds, then begins to fall apart again.

I've got several ISO and BD folder movies (BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders under root movie folder) that work just fine on the same hard drive, regardless of bitrate and material, so it doesn't seem to be cable or HW related. I've considered trying another HD to see if that works, but considering other BD movies in ISO or BD folder structures work just fine on the same drive, I'm not sure it will make a difference. Also to note, I've never seen this behavior on any other BDs or HD based BDs, including the titles the reference clips were created from and I've watched them in the same setup.

Has anyone else experienced this or come across any similar issues with the full BD reference? I have downloaded the animation and surround previously, but have not played them yet or on the same drive, but I may do so just for reference. I'd considered getting a BD burner, but I'd hate to spend another $130-$150 just to have the same problem on a shiny disc.

Unless you have other reference demo discs (like mine) you're not comparing Apples to Apples. Playing a high-bit rate full movie isn't going to be the same as playing a demo disc where you're quickly hoping back and forth between clip to clip. A full movie is going to pretty much stream continuously in a linear fashion, a demo disc will not by it's very nature.

Download the demo(s) I've made (there's a thread in this same forum section) and see if you have the same problem.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd50k 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp Cx960 400 Disc Blu Ray Disc Changer , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - Cx960 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page