post #91 of 123 Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

I have a quick question. I'm doing the ladders tomorrow night to wrap around the beam in the room. I'm attaching the ladder to channel and clips. I'm putting clips on every joists for strength. The first clips will be 6" from the side walls.

Question. The channel ENDS, how far off the side walls should it be? Can I just leave a 1/4" gap from the wall to channel or should the channel touch the side walls? I assume not.

Also when I do the full ceiling for channel and clip. How far should the channel ENDS be off the walls. I know clips 6-8 inches.

Thanks,
jim

The channel ends should not touch the side walls. Just give them a little bit of a gap, but not much. I think your 1/4" should be fine. But you can just eyeball it. Remember that you will be screwing your drywall into this, so you want it to be close, but it doesn't really have to be closer than you screw it.

I can't picture how you will clip/channel the ladders. I was fortunate enough to only have to do a very small section in a corner and I just treated it as part of the de-coupled side wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

The channel ends should not touch the side walls. Just give them a little bit of a gap, but not much. I think your 1/4" should be fine. But you can just eyeball it. Remember that you will be screwing your drywall into this, so you want it to be close, but it doesn't really have to be closer than you screw it.

I can't picture how you will clip/channel the ladders. I was fortunate enough to only have to do a very small section in a corner and I just treated it as part of the de-coupled side wall.

Bryan and Jeff helped with this. I got clips I very joist with a channel running each length of the beam. I'll take a 2x4 plate to the channel with 2x4 s hanging Dow and then another 2x4 to finish up the ladder and then plywood will tie it together on the bottom for my first layer instead of dw.

Thanks for the info! I'll take pics tonight when done.
post #93 of 123 Old 02-23-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello everyone.

Tonight we finally finished framing the theatre. I'll have pics tomorrow but let me say it was a rough week. It should have been done by Monday but didn't get done till tonight. Lou's kid lost the brakes on his car so we lost a full night there. Thankfully no one was hurt. Then the other night we ran out of material so my dad had to do a mercy run to HD for what we needed so we lost some time there. Man we were just 2 2x4's short! And then there was last night. Wrapping the beam. . . we set up the clips and channel to hang the ladders from it and then put our ply on the bottom to finish it up and we could not for the life of us get it to go plumb! It was solid as a rock but not plumb. Level yes square yes but one side was pulling on the other and it just wouldn't lay properly so Lou went home I went to bed and in the AM Lou had an idea of using clips on the side walls to hold the ladders tight. I emailed Big and asked if that was ok cause of the whole decoupling thing and he said fine even without the clips cause everything is decoupled so tonight we finally finished up. Lou ended up using the clips Big. I know u said that we didn't need them but he was worried and din't want to mess anything up and since they weren't being used he figured why not waste them. So with clips on the sides of the ladders to attach em to the walls everything is perfectly plumb and level and the beam is done.

We are off this weekend and then Tues we are going for a new lumbar order for the hall behind the theatre for the rack and then start framing out into the basement. IN the meantime I have to run conduit for my rear speakers for my room upstairs in case I ever need to change things out and also get final drawing and ideas to Bryan so he can do my acoustics.

At that point I want to get the rest of the basement framed and get Chunky to finalize my HVAC everything and then I'll think about electrical for the theatre. I want my flex in and know where they are going before anything and I'll work around them.

As of now he want to do a whole new handler for the basement. So the theatre and basement would share a zone. I know sound will be leaking into the basement but that's ok. Just want to keep it out of the first floor. The mini split is still not out of the question. He just thinks its stupid to spend the money on 2 mini splits when we can do a whole new zone for the full floor. But that is a discussion for another time.

I'll have pics tomorrow!

I'm really happy with the framing. It was deff a lot more involved than I thought it was going to be, but I had a great time doing it being this is my first theatre room.

So that's my story. Thanks for whoever read this far.

jim
post #94 of 123 Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 PM

Liked: 10
Great start Jim. I just started my theater build this week. Framing is basically complete as of today. I have a few more tweaks, then pre-wire and insulation. I'll be following along. Your's is sure shaping up to be something special!
post #95 of 123 Old 02-24-2012, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMiller1975 View Post

Great start Jim. I just started my theater build this week. Framing is basically complete as of today. I have a few more tweaks, then pre-wire and insulation. I'll be following along. Your's is sure shaping up to be something special!

Thanks for stopping by jay. Do u have a build thread? I'll have pics later. J
post #96 of 123 Old 02-24-2012, 07:27 AM

Liked: 15
moving along really well Jim, keep up the good work.

An Aspen Woods Theater - Under Construction

post #97 of 123 Old 02-24-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB77 View Post

moving along really well Jim, keep up the good work.

Thanks James. Didn't take pics yet. I had a crazy day. Tomorrow when the kid is napping!

Jim
post #98 of 123 Old 02-24-2012, 02:59 PM

Yep, I do (in my sig). More pics of the completed framing later today or tomorrow!
post #99 of 123 Old 02-25-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, I do (in my sig). More pics of the completed framing later today or tomorrow!

Oh man was that there the other day? sorry if i missed that!

How do make a sig anyway? i went into my settings and didn't see anything?

jimi
post #100 of 123 Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 131
User Control Panel
LL
post #101 of 123 Old 02-25-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

User Control Panel

Thanks Jeff! Dust scroll down far enough. So today I planed on rerouting my rear speakers for my familyroom setup. Ya well the darn beam that we wrapped the other day was out of plumb cause if the extra dw screws I put in the channel. Well 3 hrs later we ended up ripping it apart. Taking out the clips we were using attached to the side walls to keep it plumb. And put wood blocks in instead. I assume I'm still decoupled cause the wall is decoupled and the wood wrapping the beam is on clips and channel.

U can't even imagine how frustrated I am! It's all good now. I'll have pics soon. That was my other thing to do today but out of time!

Jimi
post #102 of 123 Old 03-03-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry no pics yet. Have been busy with work and framing inbetween other things. Will update real soon. Rest of the basement is moving nice. Got my rack framed out too. Have to build the deck for it though.

I have majorly obsessing about hvac also. I'm doing a new handler for whole basement. It will be one zone for theatre and basement. I really don't mind if basement is colder while cooling theatre.

My biggest problem is how to run flex cause I don't have room for soffits down the sides of the room. I'll explain more when I have pics!
post #103 of 123 Old 03-05-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So here is where we r at:

This is the beam buildout. It was a real PITA. U would think it would go pretty easy cause it's not that big of a deal but after everything was built it just wouldn't go plumb. One side pulled on the other. Even with the piece of Ply to help keep the "ladders" spaced apart it would just tilt. We figured we would just let it hang but then we went to clips to keep everything isolated but that didn't work either cause of the clips having play in them do to the bumpers. The darn thing just kept pulling. In the end I did what Big said from the start and used blocks to keep it put. Everything is still decoupled.

channel in place with clips

piece of ply to try and keep the one side from pulling on the other side. it deff kept things rigid so we were happy about that.

final product.
post #104 of 123 Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So here is how the room turned out.

front wall

back wall

door to room up for riser and steps out of room.

view from outside of room. we didn't do the landing yet or cut the steps back. i am waiting till the basement is framed out. Dave is going to be doing new steps which will be a diff riser. we are matching the new steps like the ones upstairs. all cherry with a hardwood landing to match which will be level wit the riser in the room. those steps were given to me anyway to use cause they didn't fit on another job that the builder changed plans on him.

this show the rack location and door on the right to the storage. i set the rack at the dame height of the doors so all the trim matches up. i plan on making jams and then mounting the rack in that new opening and trimming it out so it would match a door trim out or window. this will also be the area where the new HAVC ducts will run for the basement zone. yah more ducts to make my ceiling lower!!!

i think this nicely shows how the ceiling are diff heights. the beam will match up with the lower area that will be mostly taken up by the false wall. about 3 feet will be seen into the room. that's why i wanted to match them up for heights. i have no idea what i'm doing with the ceiling cause of the diff heights. i'm open for ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the lower beam starts right at the riser and over the riser will be the higher portion like before the beam. everything is even so there is only 2 diff heights and they kinda flow. high over the seats low by riser transition and low at screen.

this shows the lower ceiling area in the front. we are spanning the HVAC with a layer of domestic plywood that will be 5/8" dave said i won't have to worry about sag cause of the weight and it will stay nice and flat. we used 2x6 for the new joists which rest on the decoupled walls.

so this is where we r off to now. . . rest of basement. we got some of this wall done. there will be a closet down that end with a doorway to the garage through the opening on the right. to the left that opening is to under the front porch. the bomb shelter! it's going to be a bath with steam shower and a closet with another door to our pit. we have to still hook it up. i never had a drop of water so we never bothered. i made it through 2 floods in the area but we have to get it hooked up just in case. i didn't take pics of the other half of the basement yet. this is the next 2 weeks plan to finish these areas. i'm going to use spray insulation for the front wall and ceiling over the pans above. my father thinks this area should be for homemade wine and curing for sopressata!

post #105 of 123 Old 03-05-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After we finished framing i went back and put conduit up for my rear speakers in our living room. i had the wires just out up in the joists. figured now would be the time to make things safe and future proof!

i has a conduit down from the wall but now i added the coupler and ran new conduit that i had left over from when i built.

i made sure things were nice and neat and ran them out of the room to storage. from there they are out of the conduit. didn't think it was a good use of conduit cause i can get to it no problem.

oh these are the speaker ends i use around my house. i really like them.. they are compression fittings from ICM. i use all their products for my terminations though out the house along with any cables i made myself. they are super tight fitting and made awesome!

i'm waiting for new keystones to finish up the terminations. i had to cut the old ones off when i reran the wires.

post #106 of 123 Old 03-09-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK I think I'm talking to myself at this point. . .

Anyway I'm at a standstill with framing. Enter the pic below. . .

The drain sticking out of the ground is suppose to be for the steam shower. Chunky (my plumber) in all his wisdom picked a random spot for the drain. When new built we never really talked bathroom in the basement. He just roughed in and figured I would do a custom shower like all our others. Well he was wrong. I'm going the easy route and just doing the sonata from Kohler cause it's made for their steam units. I want easy care for the basement.

Well the drain is like 4 inches off! Ahh we just can't make it work. Well we could but the flange for the toilet is like 18" off. He doesn't know what happened there! SO that def has to be moved so we figured while moving the toilet might as well make the shower drain perfect.

So Sunday instead of framing out the bathroom and closet under the porch we will be cutting concrete and eating dust! Can't wait. Chunky said he would come down and see this week how we made out! Lucky me! No seriously. . . I figured easier for me and Lou to do it instead of him. It will be just one lost day.

So that's my update. Sunday+a concrete saw+lots of dust= tons of fun

Awesome!

jim

PS there are pics of where I'm at above if anyone missed em! I know u guys like pics but I'm beginning to think I'm alone here.
post #107 of 123 Old 03-09-2012, 06:19 PM

Liked: 15
Don't worry Jim, I feel the same way some times. You're making good progress, it's too bad about the drain move but it's good you are sorting it all out properly now. I've noticed with a lot of threads that, unless you are doing something really unique, ie. Moggie excavating his basement, you don't tend to get a lot of comments until you start finishing the theater after the drywall has gone up.

An Aspen Woods Theater - Under Construction

post #108 of 123 Old 03-10-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB77 View Post

Don't worry Jim, I feel the same way some times. You're making good progress, it's too bad about the drain move but it's good you are sorting it all out properly now. I've noticed with a lot of threads that, unless you are doing something really unique, ie. Moggie excavating his basement, you don't tend to get a lot of comments until you start finishing the theater after the drywall has gone up.

Hey James. Oh man I thought i Have been talking to my self. I'm glad too that we r doing the drain now instead of later. We really have no choice. I know Chunky feels bad but no big deal. I'll just make sure I don't let him ever forget!

Ok good note to self. . .crazy excavating work gets traffic! lol His build was crazy to watch! Such an awesome ending though!

Thanks,
jim
post #109 of 123 Old 03-10-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
post #110 of 123 Old 03-10-2012, 08:37 AM

I remember having to relocate my shower and toilet drains when finishing my basement in my townhouse a couple of years ago. They were each off by about 3" so I rented a jack hammer and took an hour to break it up. Other than concrete dust everywhere, it was pretty painless. An extra step nonetheless.

Learned our lesson. When building our new home, we had the plumbers triple check on measurements before pouring the foundation. When bathroom rough-in went in a week ago, it all mated up perfectly. You didn't want to hear that though ;-)

Sounds like you'll get it!
post #111 of 123 Old 03-10-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Soooo clean!

I know i know. i'm so ocd. it's my mother's side of the family fault. it just ran down the genetic pool to me. i really try hard to not even clean up and then just say who am i kidding!

tomorrow i'm screwed when it comes to all the concrete dust! i'll have the shakes by the end of the day! lol already got the tarp attached to the doorway so we can try to keep it all under the porch. god help our lungs then! lol

jim
post #112 of 123 Old 03-10-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I remember having to relocate my shower and toilet drains when finishing my basement in my townhouse a couple of years ago. They were each off by about 3" so I rented a jack hammer and took an hour to break it up. Other than concrete dust everywhere, it was pretty painless. An extra step nonetheless.

Learned our lesson. When building our new home, we had the plumbers triple check on measurements before pouring the foundation. When bathroom rough-in went in a week ago, it all mated up perfectly. You didn't want to hear that though ;-)

Sounds like you'll get it!

lol actually in chunky's defense it's just the toilet that is off, but wayyyyyy off! the shower can work if i went all tile but i just don't want to. i just don't think he was paying attention for the toilet. he prop had everyone yelling at him " get that jon in cause the kid isn't going to let us use the ones in the house when they go in! lol that toilet went in for temp use the hour after we were able to walk on the finished floor! lol

jimi
post #113 of 123 Old 03-16-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UPDATE:

So we got the floor drain moved and fixed. Didn't have to move the toilet! Thank God! Once the shower drain was moved the toilet had a butt load of room! Well not a butt load, but enough to not go through all that for a new flange placement. Man the cutting was crazy! I knew it would be messy cause I came home to the aftermath of when my dad and Lou fixed the crack under the porch in this area. I should have planned better and had my dad do it with him! I still think I can't hear like I did before. 6 walls of concrete and a concrete saw makes for one hell of a loud time!

But it's all good and now we can square up and get going again. I was suppose to meet up with chunky this week to finalize HAVC for the theatre but it got pushed aside while we did this. I am waiting for Ted to get some stuff in for the hvac that is in the joists for the first floor. More on that later cause I need pics to explain what I'm going to do.

I have reached paranoia state when it comes to trying to keep noise from leaving the room. Deff part of my OCD.

Damelon, I got lots of cleaning to do when that concrete dries!

Jim
post #114 of 123 Old 04-05-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I need some advice/info.

Ya I'm still framing BTW. Lou is getting busy digging in houses right now cause it's spring and our calendars aren't lining up. Soooo still framing.

Today Dave and I were finally installing my laundry room cabinets that he made. So after we got done he wanted to see the craziness in the basement.

He gave me a great idea that he wants to carry through with but I din't know if it would destroy my soundproofing.

He want me to do double drywall on the side walls as usual. but on the ceiling he wants to do a coffered ceiling with beadboard (T&G) cherry.

So we would do one solid layer of 5/8" DW but then he would take over. the second layer would be 5/8 ply where the coffered beams r and the center squares would be 5/8" bead board. He said where the beams touch bead board we would silicone seal cause crown and coves would cover it to finish the coffered look.

1. My questions r what about the T&G bead. . .am i not sealed anymore for that second layer? i would have the mass but what about seal cause it's t&g.

2. my game plan?

-install first layer of DW
-mark off soffits for and throw the second layer of plywood so i have my 2 layers
build my soffits for hvac
-go back and put plywood where the other coffered beams r and build those beams.
-then go back and fill in the squares left with the bead board to finish the second layer.
-seal all the bead board, soffit, and coffered beams
-add in the crown and cove to finish everything off and hide seams.

is this crazy or should i just eat the cost do double dw and then add the coffered ceiling to that. i would loose 5/8" of ceiling height additional but be sealed.

he was trying to save me the cost of double dw if it's just buried. that's all.

i hope this all makes sense cause i have no idea if a pic would help.

i really need some advice here. i know he can make it happen but would it kill my soundproofing then.

3. so my whole ceiling would now be wood. my sidewalls are all fabric panels with the proper acoustics which by ran is doing. can u have a whole wood ceiling?

jim
post #115 of 123 Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Jim,

You can exchange the 5/8" drywall layer for a similar layer of ply. I don't see the 5/8" beadboard compromising things. Seal the first wall / ceiling intersection before proceeding to the second layer on the wall, finishing with the ceiling ply. All still hanging on clips.

The question becomes how much weight are you adding due to the beams. You'll want to make sure you're not overburdening the clip array.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #116 of 123 Old 04-06-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

Jim,

You can exchange the 5/8" drywall layer for a similar layer of ply. I don't see the 5/8" beadboard compromising things. Seal the first wall / ceiling intersection before proceeding to the second layer on the wall, finishing with the ceiling ply. All still hanging on clips.

The question becomes how much weight are you adding due to the beams. You'll want to make sure you're not overburdening the clip array.

and that is the other question. how do i figure out the load? i guess dave can guesstimate at what the second layer bead and beams would be and then we can add it to the 5/8 dw which we know. at that point it would be ur call at if the clips can hold the weight?

so if the first layer is all sealed up i can do whatever i want on the second layer? would i still need to seal where bead meets beams before trim goes on or isn't it a problem cause the first layer was sealed? what bout where the soffits meet bead? is sealing needed?

i think this is just going to be very hard cause for that second layer have to add junk ply where beams and soffit will be so i'm not wasting beadboard. there is just going to be tons of planning. if i just did my original left to right beams under all the columns that wouldn't be bad. i still don't know if i want to have soffits on the sides up on the riser where the ceiling is already 7.5'. dropping at least 2 soffits on the sides with 2 more beams down the middle is going to make the ceiling a little less than 7'.

i have to get with dave to draw it out to see how cut up things are going to look.

jim
post #117 of 123 Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
No problemo. Just need an idea of what the beam materials will be, the dimensions, and the distance between beams on the ceiling. We can then calculate the load, and make any clip pattern changes accordingly. Easy.

Having a first layer of ply gives a better starting point since it's easier to hang the wood ceiling when you can attach into a nail base that's all over the ceiling. Easier than trying to hit channels.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #118 of 123 Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Very clean framing job, Jim. Looks great. I see that the headers in your wall openings are installed flat instead of on edge. Is this because the walls aren't load bearing?
post #119 of 123 Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

No problemo. Just need an idea of what the beam materials will be, the dimensions, and the distance between beams on the ceiling. We can then calculate the load, and make any clip pattern changes accordingly. Easy.

Having a first layer of ply gives a better starting point since it's easier to hang the wood ceiling when you can attach into a nail base that's all over the ceiling. Easier than trying to hit channels.

ok cool about the clips cause that is going to be nuts i think.

i prop will go with plywood for the whole first layer cause i have areas that need ply anyway so by that point might as well do the whole ceiling.

thanks a lot ted!

jim
post #120 of 123 Old 04-06-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Very clean framing job, Jim. Looks great. I see that the headers in your wall openings are installed flat instead of on edge. Is this because the walls aren't load bearing?

hey thanks for stopping by!

Ya no load bearing down there. all i joists and lvl's to hold the 1st floor so we r just framing underneath.

jim
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page