Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 123 Old 02-05-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello everyone!

First I want to thanks some people that have talked with me over the many months of planning. I am so sorry if I forgot anyone! I really tried hard to remember and keep track.

Bat3329, Big, Bryan Pape, Damelon, Itai, JamesB77, Jelloslug, KNKKNK, Michelmia, QueenDVD2, Stockmonkey2000, and W00lly.

I have been around for a few years but mostly sit back and read in this forum area. I never thought I really should give my opinion on anything since I never build a room of my own yet.

Over the past 2 years I have planned and read. I'm glad I never started cause the room has moved areas 3 times. I will say I am thankful I listened to a friend one day when I called him to ask if I should use a different space cause he planted a seed in my head a while back. Thanks Itai! Also thanks for all the random " would you do this" calls! Also thanks to Big for making me think and change and rethink will all my "one last question" PM's. Finally, thanks to Bryan Pape for his invaluable time to get me on "do it right the first time" path!

The reason I named my build this is cause I couldn't think of a snappy name. I live in Anthracite coal country, right out side Scranton Pa, in a small town. Fun fact for you: 3/4 of the world's anthracite coal comes from the NEPA region. I grew up with grandfathers who worked in the mines when they came over from Italy and I grew up next to one of the brother's of one of the largest coal companies in our area. They are also responsible for bringing wind energy to our area and also helping to further its technology over the past few years. It's just one of the many things that helped this area become what it is today and I'm proud of that. It's home.

Anyway, onto my build. My wife and I had a baby girl 2 years ago, Kathleen, and we need some more space for our growing family. I figured now would be a good time to start the basement and start my theatre also. I have always wanted a dedicated room. I have been in so many over the years and always said "one day".

My plan is to finish a complete play/living space first and then tackle the theatre's completion. I'm going to finish the bath and bar area last. The theatre will get worked on as I move through the basement but I want to get Kate a nice play area and a tv area for my wife and I first. This will give me time to make sure I complete the theatre "as right as possible" the first time! lol

So the plan for the theatre is soundproofed as best to my ability. Staggered stud walls for some and double stud walls for other. Decouple clips for the walls to joists above. Clips and channel for the ceiling. Double drywall with GG for the walls and ceiling. I'm going to try and poke as few holes into the shell as possible, but some areas are going to have to give. One example of this is the HVAC, which will be an independent zone. I don't have the room for a soffit cause of my multitiered ceiling due to HAVC being in the way along with a beam. At first I was going to do just 2 clean different heights but after I got a hold of Bryan who is going to do my acoustic plan he came up with another idea as you see below. I was a bit worried about this at first but he really wants to get the best acoustics out of this small space so this was the correct way to go he felt. I have a great cabinet friend (Dave) and designer (Tom) friend who I know along with Bryan will make this ceiling blend in perfect with the finished room.

I'm also going to have an LG concealed ducted multi V unit installed for the theatre so that it is independently controlled and not shared with another part of the house. We did the heat loss on Friday and came up with some first thoughts. A 9000 BTU unit will be enough along with the 3/4 tom compressor. My 2 supplies and returns will be 5 or 6 inch flex based on the duculator's results. I'm going to heat the room with a piece of baseboard behind the first row cause we have forced hot water through the rest of the house.

Lighting is going to be a mix of in ceiling LED cans with backer boxes. I'm using a great new product from seagull lighting that is called Traverse. They are 5 or 6 inch cans that can be mounted in a j-box. Only 2.5" deep! This will give me the space I need to run supply and return flex in the same joists bay cause I don't have much room to begin with due to not having a soffit and the direction the joists are running. Rest of the lighting will be wall lighting, step lights, and some lights behind my screen wall. I think that is just so cool.

My rack will be in the hall outside the room like my pic shows. Trimmed out in the front but open around back cause it's storage space. This will give me plenty of work space.

For equipment I am thinking the favor of the year for JVC projector's. I'm going to zoom and down the road add a lens if I feel like it. I want to make sure I'm setup for this with throw. Screen is going to be Seymour 4K or whatever they have going on in the 4K front when the time comes. About 110" Wide right now but that will be decided when the time comes also.

Speakers are going to be Triad. Inroom golds up front, silver surrounds, and 4 subs with their own amps. Not sure for the front sub size yet, but the other 3 for the rear, and sides will be in wall Bronzes.

I really haven't thought much of equipment yet but knowing me will prob stick with oppo for transport and Marantz for Processor and amp for the Triads' except for the the amps for the subs. I'll use Triads' for those.

Seating is for 2 up front 3 rear. I haven't thought much about where the seats are coming from yet so I'm working on the laws of average for sizing right now! lol

My stage and riser will be built after DW and I'm going to follow the proper building rules as close as possible.

My door will be made by my cabinet guy. He is also going to make all my columns along with the frames for the full fabric panels. I'm going for the warm wood look with crown as large as I can get up top with wood framed fabric panels divides by a chair rail. I'll most likely have Dave build everything out of cherry but he is pushing me to use something else being that everything else in our house from him is cherry. But that's a down the road.

Right now I really hope everyone would look over my plans and give their honest opinion of what they think. I really don't mind being slammed. I want this done right and I want to do it right the first time. I'm going to take my time. I'm not in a hurry. I'll be doing most of the wiring, deff all the low volt, and the framing. My good friend who did all my excavating for my home is helping me with the framing when he is slow. The plumbing, rest of electrical, DW, and paint will be my dad's friend's who built my home for me 6 years ago. I'll jump back in to help with finish work of the play/living space and Dave and I will be completing the theatre room then. The plan right now is to start framing in 2 weeks once my plumber moved one gas line and 3 baseboard lines. I'm going to keep working till my friend gets real busy in the spring and go from there.

If there is anything I missed I will add it in as I go!

Again thanks to everyone who has helped thus far and I look forward to any opinions and questions! I truly listen to what people tell me and take that advice and use it! I love to learn. I'm real OCD and when I start something I go 150% with it. Maybe that's a bad thing, but it's just how I live.

Thanks again everyone! Pics will follow below in a second post!

Jimi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 Old 02-05-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok here are pics:

this is the ceiling sideshow to give everyone an idea of what's going on. right now what i'm afraid of is the room above my door coming into the room. i don't have a ton of space up there for trim. i'm going to blend in the crown and frame with the door and not give it it's own trim out so it looks flush with the room. right now my head is saying 3 inch frames for the fabric. also i can't move the hvac ducts to give one huge height. there just isn't the room. we tried. so this is what i got to work with. Bryan wants the area above the primary first row to be high for acoustics. he hasn't done the plans yet. I want to get the room framed out so he has exact numbers to work with.

this is my room layout for now. i'm hoping i can get my projector behind that second row. i'm hoping the jvc, if i end up with that, is bright enough to throw the distance to a 110" wide screen along with the 16:9 image when needed. if i have the room i'll move up to a 120" wide screen.

this is the whole picture. the steps coming down to the basement are going to be ripped out and new cherry steps built there is going to be a landing where u will enter the room cause i couldn't get a door in the front of the room. i really need that area for walking storage. if anyone has an idea i'm game. we thought about a rear entrance but that got weird with stepping up to the riser. Dave and Lou ( my friend's) thought we would have room if we did a matching landing. I figured out a riser height. Dave then calculated the new steps and we came up with the amount of space we would pick up making a landing to give us room for the door. The only problem is not having a ton of space above it on the inside of the room being on the riser.

Thanks again for all the feedback and for looking! I'm also going to apologize for this being a slow build but between family and work there isn't a huge amount of time left and also with having my dad's friend's for help along with my friend's I can't expect them to drop their regular jobs to come help me at times. I got all the time in the world!

Jimi
post #3 of 123 Old 02-05-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The theatre room. Some of the blue tape is old and the electrical in the way has been moved. These were a few weeks ago. I'll try to take good pics. I'll make sure I use a tripod all the time. Photography is a huge hobby of mine so this thread will be littered with pics of the build!

Thanks again and I hope I brought enough to the table to get some good feedback. That's why I waited so long to start a thread of my own. I wanted to make sure I had lots of info.

looking to the rack in the hall and where double doors to storage will be.

looking to the rear

looking to the front

looking down the hall to rack

front of theatre ceiling this shows the lower area and part of where the higher first row area will be

higher ceiling over riser
post #4 of 123 Old 02-05-2012, 12:35 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I didn't see mention about attaching the top plates of the new wall framing with IB3 isolation clips, this will keep any wall vibrations from the floor above. The guy helping you probably has no experience with these and will tell you they are not necessary. They are.

http://store.soundproofingcompany.co...ips-ib3-2T.jpg

On the door molding and the crown, you might find this picture interesting (from Kirk's Uptown Paridiso). Even less room than you have.

I don't see a reason for a 10'-2" hallway at the rear your theater, I can see doing 6 ft with a 4 ft double door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 123 Old 02-05-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
OPer I like your seating layout for the width of your room. It works well. My room is only 11'6" wide and three seats is the max amount that should be used with that width in my opinion. If my room had been deeper, I would have gone with two rows of seating just like what you are planning. I also like your equipment choices. I use a JVC projector with a Seymour Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K fabric masking screen. The JVC's look great on this material. If we can help you, please give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #6 of 123 Old 02-05-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I didn't see mention about attaching the top plates of the new wall framing with IB3 isolation clips, this will keep any wall vibrations from the floor above. The guy helping you probably has no experience with these and will tell you they are not necessary. They are.

http://store.soundproofingcompany.co...ips-ib3-2T.jpg

On the door molding and the crown, you might find this picture interesting (from Kirk's Uptown Paridiso). Even less room than you have.

I don't see a reason for a 10'-2" hallway at the rear your theater, I can see doing 6 ft with a 4 ft double door.

Cool pic I got it DL'ed and saved! Thanks!

Fixed. Thanks Big! My bad I forgot but knew! lol Lou is pretty excited about doing this with me. I think he's excited as me almost! lol He never did something like this but is so smart. Really really talented guy, but yes only knows about the soundproofing through what I tell him. From there he questions and then gives his input.

Ya that is long. Maybe that is my first measurement when I had it back further and we talked about it but I never changed the distance on the drawing. I'll have to remeasure that! U think 4 feet is large enough for a storage are to get anything out safely if needed if something craps out?! If so awesome cause that gives me more space behind my rack and for the walking area in the storage area.

Thanks a lot!
post #7 of 123 Old 02-05-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

OPer I like your seating layout for the width of your room. It works well. My room is only 11'6" wide and three seats is the max amount that should be used with that width in my opinion. If my room had been deeper, I would have gone with two rows of seating just like what you are planning. I also like your equipment choices. I use a JVC projector with a Seymour Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K fabric masking screen. The JVC's look great on this material. If we can help you, please give us a call.

Cool thanks for the seating opinion! I know I can only get what I have space for. The only thing I'm worried about is the side width for the rear when coming in the room but I know I can cheat 6" and not throw the look of the room off.

I saw the 4K material a few months ago. It is awesome! U can't see the weave at all looking right at it I feel.

I will keep that in mind! Thanks so much. I hope you follow along. I'll try to make it amusing as possible!

jimi
post #8 of 123 Old 02-05-2012, 01:01 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 612
By code the door needs to be as wide as the largest piece of equipment in the utility area. So look at the water heater, boiler, furnace and figure out what you need. My utility room door is 30 inches. I see the hallway is 37 inches so anything bigger than that is unnecessary.

PROJECTS:

post #9 of 123 Old 02-05-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

By code the door needs to be as wide as the largest piece of equipment in the utility area. So look at the water heater, boiler, furnace and figure out what you need. My utility room door is 30 inches. I see the hallway is 37 inches so anything bigger than that is unnecessary.

Thanks Big. I'm hoping the hall grows a bit when we end up framing the theatre. 37" is pushing it for the space between the other beam for the house and the theatre wall. i need to get the hvac handler up there for that LG unit. I'm hoping to get it to at least 41" to 44".

Deff going to do some remeasuring tomorrow to make sure that length of the hall is only what is necessary. The widest think back there is prob my boiler.

Thanks again for that advice!.
post #10 of 123 Old 02-06-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
And here....we....go! It's so exciting to start your build thread isn't it? I still catch myself at work every day wanting to make tons of update posts and ping questions off of the other users about what I'm planning next. It's sort of a let down when it is all done.

Nice clean space to start with. And looks like another graduate of the blue-tape art design school is here! haha! Seriously, the floor looks like it was washed! Congratulations with the beginnings of your build, I bet you are excited to get started! Once the framing goes up and you know you are in business, you can't start the ideas and decisions from racking your brain.

Make sure you do an extra good job of soundproofing along that HVAC unit. You aren't going to want to hear that through your wall!

I like the idea of the hallway along the back of the theater, but if I did that I'd put my theater door facing the hallway. Gives nice access to the rack and helps to prevent any direct light enter your room when the door is open. I toyed with the idea. My theater would have been a lot different if my wife didn't have input about the bar area. Would have been deeper, and maybe a rear entrance too.

post #11 of 123 Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey d,

Thanks for stopping by. I know not much to look at for now. Just my rambling. With me floor believe it or not was never washed. They used one of those spinning finishing machines in it. It's like glass only problem is when it's wet in the garage cause then it gets a bit slippery. The garage was also spun out when it was poured.

I'm not following on the door placement? My rack will shine out into the rest of the living area down that hall. My door faces te same dire room looking out into the living space? Is that cool? I looked into the back entrance idea bit we thought it might be kinda weird with the flow of the riser inside then if I came in on floor level and then stepped up on the riser. I'm open for ideas though!

I have no idea how loud that hvac unit is. I hope not loud. Also it will be outside the room up in the ceiling? Possible problem? Just asking?

I know once I get going I'll have tone of questions.
post #12 of 123 Old 02-06-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Looks good jimim - I'll be following along. One potential issue I can see it the 22" walkway by the 2nd row seating. While it would be nice to have the 2nd row centered, I don't think 22" is enough space, especially for an area that you will be walking by all the time. While squeezing the 2nd row a bit closer to the far wall is not ideal, it will give a bit more space. My second row seating will have 1 chair that will be around 7 inches from the wall. I suspect that is going to be the least used chair.

post #13 of 123 Old 02-06-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

Looks good jimim - I'll be following along. One potential issue I can see it the 22" walkway by the 2nd row seating. While it would be nice to have the 2nd row centered, I don't think 22" is enough space, especially for an area that you will be walking by all the time. While squeezing the 2nd row a bit closer to the far wall is not ideal, it will give a bit more space. My second row seating will have 1 chair that will be around 7 inches from the wall. I suspect that is going to be the least used chair.

Hey thanks for stopping buy! Ya I deff think that is one of my issues also. I don't mind pushing that sec row off centered at bit when the time comes. What would be the bare min I can have to be functional in ur opinion?

Thanks again!
post #14 of 123 Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok so I'm driving and my mind is turning. Sound from the outside of the room. I got my first floor hvac unit on one wall outside the room. I didn't plan on dw the other side of that wall cause it's storage? Should I be considering that? Also those in ceiling concealed hvac units, are they real loud? Will this also be an issue? That unit will be by the back theatre wall but up in a drop ceiling so the path of sound will follow into the joists above the room that has clips and channel with dw. But again the flex for the room is also up there which run off this unit.

Or am I totally over thinking now.

Oh and send some happy thought my way for my plumber to call me and say he has nothing to do tomorrow and he will be at my place so I can start! Lol

Thanks

Jimi
post #15 of 123 Old 02-06-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry for the confusion. So in my first theater, I had double doors in the back of my movie room facing my rec room. When the doors were open, light would spill in mostly on the front wall, and LCD projectors were pretty much first gen at the time, so they weren't that bright either. (Double doors were bad for soundproofing, I know, but I got lucky in my case)

In my latest theater the door is on the side in the middle, when it is open the light is much better, but it is still very distracting with how dim the room is kept since it still opens out to a rec room, which usually has windows, is lit, etc.

What I was saying was that you have a hallway behind your theater. At the end of the hallway you have your rack. Great placement there, I approve. Then you have a double-door to your storage. But I was thinking, if I had that hallway there, I'd put my door on the back wall of my theater, on the opposite side of the storage room doors. The reasoning being that you already have this hallway nook, which already is sort of "off the beaten path" of your main area. If you had someone open the door the light coming in wouldn't be so bad since the hallway would likely be pretty dim. I'd at least consider it rather than also having a door next to the hallway entrance to the main rec room. This would also give you some space to put movie posters up in the hallway, sort of like how most stadium-seating theaters have their doors. Behind and disconnected, following a hallway into the theater.... not that I want you to change what you want of course, just that I had considered something exactly like that before, especially useful for a rack and a media cabinet being outside of the theater, but still "on the way in".

post #16 of 123 Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

Ok so I'm driving and my mind is turning. Sound from the outside of the room. I got my first floor hvac unit on one wall outside the room. I didn't plan on dw the other side of that wall cause it's storage? Should I be considering that? Also those in ceiling concealed hvac units, are they real loud? Will this also be an issue? That unit will be by the back theatre wall but up in a drop ceiling so the path of sound will follow into the joists above the room that has clips and channel with dw. But again the flex for the room is also up there which run off this unit.

So what were your plans for that wall? Standard studded wall, with DD + GG on the inside only? If you are doing 1 wall, I'd suggest making the wall along the storage area a staggered-studded wall (so 6" wide") and then also putting a single layer of drywall on the back (Doesnt need to be mudded really) so you dont hear the HVAC unit in the movie room. I would definitely put drywall on the outside of any wall you are using for your theater, unless you are using a double-wall, in which case you don't put drywall on the insides of each wall.

If you can't go the staggered-stud route, I'd still put a single layer of drywall on the back side of the wall.

post #17 of 123 Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey thanks for stopping buy! Ya I deff think that is one of my issues also. I don't mind pushing that sec row off centered at bit when the time comes. What would be the bare min I can have to be functional in ur opinion?

Thanks again!

I think I would try to allow for 30-36 inches. You would also need to account for any acoustic panels you might have there. The nice thing is that you can just go ahead and move the seating over to where the walkway is comfortable.

Have you already picked out seats? I just did some checking and a row of 3 Palliser Pacifico's with no inside armrests is 83" wide. The Palliser Slade is 81". I'm assuming you were going with a couch configuration since that is what is pictured but maybe that is not your intention. Something like the slade without the inside armrests would give you 30 inches on each side. I'm pretty sure there are smaller seats that would give you even more room.

post #18 of 123 Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Take care to really isolate the room from the stairwell.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #19 of 123 Old 02-06-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the comments.

Stockmonkey2000. . . right now i'm hoping to get 3 across with armrests in the back. the pic doesn't show it cause i couldn't find a pic like that but i have a note in my drawing re: the config that i would LIKE to use. I'm game for anything. if it does't fit I'll change the layout.

D. . . ok now i got you re: the door. Sorry i should have read it again. like i said i was originally thinking this layout for the door but thought it might be kinda weird with all the stepping up and down. i was also worried about acoustics? would that matter? I do like the idea though!

Also I didn't notice that i never talked walls. Took it for granted!

1. Front wall will be an outside wall so I am using a staggered stud there. Being that it's a concrete 12" wall can i just do a regular 2x6 framed wall here and not staggered?

2. Back wall where that little hall will touch is staggered also.

3. Wall by the HVAC for 1st floor in pic (side wall) will be staggered

4. Other side wall with the steps to upstairs will be double 2x4.

Walls with IB3 clips from joists

PT for bottom plates with caulk under the plates along with them being anchored to the floor properly.

All will be DW with double 5/8" and GG. Ceiling will be clips and channel for the higher portion with double 5/8" DW and the lower ceiling area by the HVAC ducts shown in my pics will be new 2x6 joists running in the same dir as the ducts and at closest level to clear the ducts and not touch. The area where the support beam is will be framed around.

I can use some pointers for that area cause this was one area I didn't know how to handle even though Lou said he knew what he was going to do. He knows u can not touch it with framing and we want to just run under it to save room.

So my framing questions r:

1. what is wrong? or can be better? i know double walls all around but i just don't want to loose more room.

2. the front wall which is concrete, can it be regular studs or better to be staggered?

3. ideas for around the beam? i think i'm good with the lower hvac area with new joists supported by the side walls.

So that's just framing. I didn't mention electrical and all the other stuff cause I'm not even there yet.

Baby steps!

Oh ya got a phone call from my plumber (chunky). Ya that's his nickname you read it right. All my dad's buddies have their nicknames. I actually didn't know some of their real names till i started my house. since i was a baby i always called them by their nicknames. He's coming wed! oh ya! So Thursday Lou and I are going to get the lumbar for the Theatre and the hall behind it. After that we will tackle the rest of the basement.

That's it for now.

Thanks again,
jimi

PS sorry i'm writing book. i'm a talker!
post #20 of 123 Old 02-07-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

D. . . ok now i got you re: the door. Sorry i should have read it again. like i said i was originally thinking this layout for the door but thought it might be kinda weird with all the stepping up and down. i was also worried about acoustics? would that matter? I do like the idea though!

Also I didn't notice that i never talked walls. Took it for granted!

1. Front wall will be an outside wall so I am using a staggered stud there. Being that it's a concrete 12" wall can i just do a regular 2x6 framed wall here and not staggered?

Yeah of course the stepping updown could be an issue. You would either have to do it inside of the room or outside of the room. In my first theater I had a lot of space so I was able to have a low area behind the rear seats with stairs going down on each side, but most people don't have that space. You can also put a landing outside, but because of your other door you would have to put some thought into it.

As for the front wall... yeah so I can see why there is no need for a staggered wall on the front side because you wont drywall the back. The point of a staggered studded wall is that the drywall on both sides is not connected to the same studs. Since you have no drywall on the other side it sort of eliminates the need. So I think you are good with your idea there.

And I agree with Ted as well, make sure you have a good plan for that stairwell as it will just be a conduit for sound to leak into your whole house (and vice versa)

post #21 of 123 Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

My door is at the back of the room also. I did not want to have a step up so I have a space like a hallway next to the riser. There is not a lot of headroom under the soffit when on the riser so it would have been uncomfortable walking into the room with the soffit that close.

Its hard to see in the photo but there is a 38" walkway next to the riser.

post #22 of 123 Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

1. what is wrong? or can be better? i know double walls all around but i just don't want to loose more room.

2. the front wall which is concrete, can it be regular studs or better to be staggered?

3. ideas for around the beam? i think i'm good with the lower hvac area with new joists supported by the side walls.

Hey Jim,

Great start to the theater, I'm looking forward to it progressing.

In my theater I used staggered studs against the concrete walls because of the spray foam. When that was applied I essentially coupled the first set of studs to the walls. The staggered studs don't touch the foam. I could have also taken all of the framing down, had the foam done and re-framed and inch infront of the foam. It's my understanding that if you are up against a concrete wall you do not need to use a ssaggered stud as you already have a double wall condition.

I boxed in my beam and HVAC and hung the boxes from the ceiling using IB-3 clips from the soundproofing company. I will then treat them the same as the rest of the theater with 3/4 OSB - GG- 5/8 DW.

- Under Construction

post #23 of 123 Old 02-07-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
If you're building a wall in front of a foundation wall, you only build a single stud wall

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #24 of 123 Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
a few minor revision ideas that came to mind....

I'd put two of those storage racks on a base, with heavy duty wheels as rolling storage.

Moved the av rack to the side wall and built it in. A slide out Middle Atlantic av rack and two gasketted steel doors would allow for access. Or the av rack could be boxed in, under the stairs.
LL
post #25 of 123 Old 02-07-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

a few minor revision ideas that came to mind....

I'd put two of those storage racks on a base, with heavy duty wheels as rolling storage.

Moved the av rack to the side wall and built it in. A slide out Middle Atlantic av rack and two gasketted steel doors would allow for access. Or the av rack could be boxed in, under the stairs.

If the rack was in the side-wall there, how would he get access to the HVAC system? I know you said it was a slide out, but I don't think it would work there.

The rack under the stairs is a very interesting idea, as long as soundproofing is done right it would be a good use of space.

post #26 of 123 Old 02-07-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You'd have a raised floor, between the doors, since the av rack would need to clear the riser. Recess the av rack's tracking into the raised floor.

My personal choice would be to have the av rack completely out of the room, in the entry niche area.
LL
post #27 of 123 Old 02-07-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Yeah of course the stepping updown could be an issue. You would either have to do it inside of the room or outside of the room. In my first theater I had a lot of space so I was able to have a low area behind the rear seats with stairs going down on each side, but most people don't have that space. You can also put a landing outside, but because of your other door you would have to put some thought into it.

As for the front wall... yeah so I can see why there is no need for a staggered wall on the front side because you wont drywall the back. The point of a staggered studded wall is that the drywall on both sides is not connected to the same studs. Since you have no drywall on the other side it sort of eliminates the need. So I think you are good with your idea there.

And I agree with Ted as well, make sure you have a good plan for that stairwell as it will just be a conduit for sound to leak into your whole house (and vice versa)

D ur old space is where I got the rear entrance idea but ya I deff don't have the room u did so that's why I didn't go any further.
post #28 of 123 Old 02-07-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

My door is at the back of the room also. I did not want to have a step up so I have a space like a hallway next to the riser. There is not a lot of headroom under the soffit when on the riser so it would have been uncomfortable walking into the room with the soffit that close.

Its hard to see in the photo but there is a 38" walkway next to the riser.

I wish I had that little extra width but I don't. I guess if I totally push the seats to the other wall I would prop even after treatment but would that totally through off the room? Also do I even have the room? I'll have to check tonight. What is ur width again?
post #29 of 123 Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB77 View Post

Hey Jim,

Great start to the theater, I'm looking forward to it progressing.

In my theater I used staggered studs against the concrete walls because of the spray foam. When that was applied I essentially coupled the first set of studs to the walls. The staggered studs don't touch the foam. I could have also taken all of the framing down, had the foam done and re-framed and inch infront of the foam. It's my understanding that if you are up against a concrete wall you do not need to use a ssaggered stud as you already have a double wall condition.

I boxed in my beam and HVAC and hung the boxes from the ceiling using IB-3 clips from the soundproofing company. I will then treat them the same as the rest of the theater with 3/4 OSB - GG- 5/8 DW.

Hey James thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for the wall info.

Ur beam. . . so I will frame my side walls as usually and use in3 clips and also make sure the side walls run under and downy touch beam. The beam won't get wrapped till dw then? So is the whole wrapping of the beam supported by ib3 clips only then!? If so cool. If not am I totally off on what u r talking about?!
post #30 of 123 Old 02-07-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

If you're building a wall in front of a foundation wall, you only build a single stud wall

Thanks TW!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page