Saldog's Basement Build Thread - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I figured it's about time to start the thread for my basement build. Here are the basics:
- House built in 1958
- Basement height is 7'10", so probably leaving about 7'4" after finishing
- Basement is totally dry, and does not have a sump pump (basically no chance of having water problems)
- Will do drywall ceilings in most of it, but drop ceilings in the bedroom where there are pipes, etc we may want to access
- My dad is an electrical contractor, so he'll be doing all the electrical work (he already put in a brand new 200 amp panel)
- There are two egresses, a stairwell going upstairs, and another stairwell going right into the garage
- We plan to do a bathroom eventually (it's shown on plans), but not initially, to save money/time, so just ignore that for now

Ok, here is how the basement stands now:

In other words, it's a blank slate, besides the raised concrete pad where laundry is (have no idea why the pad exists), and the utilities. Along the entire right wall and the top wall (the half to the right of the laundry), there is the sewer drain pipe running along the wall, which is why those finished walls are a foot off the cement block walls.

Ok, onto the plan. Here is our design.

Side view:

Screen wall view:

Some additional comments and answers to questions that are bound to come up:

- the three steel columns (there's 1 by the stairs) are holding up a steel I-beam running the length of the house. i don't want to eff with those, so they stay where they are. We did first consider orienting the theater North-South on the east wall, but the column and the required soffit (for the Ibeam and duct work) made us plan on what i'm showing

- There are obvious concessions made with regards to the theater, most apparent being the doorway next to the screen, making everything off-center in the room. I wish i could change this, but WAF prevents it. I don't think it'll be a huge deal in terms of actual use, and hopefully the acoustical panels help prevent acoustical mal-effects

- With the size (and especially height) constraints, I know the theater won't be ideal at all. That's not really the goal, either. We want a nice space where we can entertain, have family time, etc. We want it to be easily enjoyed by 8-10 people. I also want to enjoy 2-channel audio.

- Seating drawings are placeholders; not sure what config they will be

- I will make sure I get a 20amp circuit just to the equipment rack, as well as another dedicated one just for the front wall (2 subs and 3 powered speakers)

- Was planning an 8 riser, so that I didn't need an intermediate step. I don't want to go higher than that anyway, to ensure head-clearance.

- I didn't mention the floor yet. We have all the Dricore bought to do the whole finished space. We will put carpet over it everywhere, except for the striped area by the stairs and table, as well as the craft room, which will be some kind of laminate or engineered wood. For construction, we will build walls first, then put down Dricore instead of putting the walls on top of the Dricore as i've seen some people do

- We just finished putting Drylok on the walls, as a precaution. There was very little effervescence, and zero evidence of actual water, but it's a little extra peace of mind

- I have no interest in an AT screen. I like seeing my speakers, and i don't want to accept the compromises that an AT screen induces in terms of acoustic coloration and loss of lumens.

My wish list:
- Decent pre/pro, hopefully under $2k
- Mackie HR824mk2 x3
- Mackie HR624mk2 x4
- Decent subs, like the Hsu VTF-15H (hopefully, but may have to settle for 1)
- Carada 112" BW 2.35:1 screen
- A decent projector, under $5k

I like very flat response in my audio, hence the Mackies. I realize some people don't think of them as high-end audio, but they are truly amazing speakers. The inherent benefits of having an active speaker are tremendous.

Finally, i have conversed with Ted White about soundproofing. Due to the staircase in the back of theater being open (the area under the stairs will be boxed in, but the wall won't go above the steps), it didn't seem worth it to do clips and channel and GG. Instead, i will just be doing a layer of OSB everywhere for rigidity (and so i can screw things in where i want), followed by a layer of drywall. I will be using 25ga metal studs for the most part.

An extra picture of the ductwork going down the middle of the basement (where the soffit will be).

Current tasks: more cleaning out of the basement (still have boxes from the move), and putting down track so we can cut some more studs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread
Paradigm Studio 60v3, Studio 570v3, Studio 20v5, 2x Klipsch Sub12, Onkyo TX-NR808, PS3, Chromecast+Plex, Acer H6510BD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

I had this question about using steel studs.

My plan for now is to put in a couple 2x4 wood studs wherever i plan to hang anything (screen, surround speakers, possible TV in bedroom, etc). I'd rather be on the safe side with wall rigidity and strength.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread
Paradigm Studio 60v3, Studio 570v3, Studio 20v5, 2x Klipsch Sub12, Onkyo TX-NR808, PS3, Chromecast+Plex, Acer H6510BD
Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
a good use of the space i think. I am in the process of building mine also, and not creating a real dedicated theater that is seperate room. Mine will be conected to bar area and kitchen area. I did however cut the room off from where the stairs go down to the basement. I did not do that in my last house and a lot of sound traveled up the stairs. But my stairs were also right next to my front speakers

Hopefully you won't have that problem because there is a lot of room from your front speakers and the stairs.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Nice space to work with. Since you did not list an A-lens under equipment, I assume that you are going with the zoom method for CIH. In your budget, that limits you to the JVC RS45, Panny 7000 and the Sony VW95 (slightly above budget). When you get ready to talk about projectors and screen choices, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Correct, i don't want to have to deal with a lens. And DLP is out because of placement issues (projector will be basically level with top of screen, or slightly below). I was thinking of going cheap for my first projector, since the build itself will be taking most of our budget, then upgrading in a couple years to a much nicer one. Maybe the dust will be settled by then around 3D, as well as LED light sources... one can hope. I will certainly give you a call when i'm ready to talk projectors, thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread
Old 09-15-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

I've decided to post an update to my build thread. I have been maintaining a thread on a different forum, and i thought about transferring over all the in progress updates and pictures from there to here. I decided instead to just skip to the end (or at least, to the present, which is fairly close to the end) of the build. If you want to see all the trials and tribulations of the build, you can find the full thread here: http://theaudioannex.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=28&t=3390

So, onto the ACTUAL plans, and how things look as of the most recent pictures.

Here is the plan as built:

Here is the side-view:

And the front view of the screen wall:

The screen and the subs are just placeholders; i don't own those. What i do own:
PS3
Chromecast
Onkyo TX-NR808
Acer H6510BD projector
Paradigm Studio 60v3 (L&R)
Paradigm Studio CC570v3 (C)
Paradigm Studio 20v5 (Side L&R)
Cheap Polk satellites (Rear L&R) - hopefully to be replaced by Studio10s at some point

As you can see, no screen or sub in the equipment list.

Recent pictures of how it looks:

Put molding around the access panel under the stairs.

Left side Studio20 in wall recess

Put molding around the division between black/white ceiling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread
Old 09-15-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Construction details/decisions you may find interesting:

After talking to Ted @ TheSoundProofingCompany, we decided against going full-bore on sound isolation. We wanted an open floor plan, and with that open staircase, there was no point in going with clips and GG. We did however put R19 in between the ceiling joists, and in the entire theater area (walls and ceiling), we did a layer of 1/2" OSB followed by 1/2" drywall. We're actually quite happy with how much sound containment that offers.

We wanted multiple rows, so did a riser (covered in 3 layers of OSB), but it's only 8", as we have the giant soffit running the length of the basement due to HVAC. It was going to be cost-prohibitive to redo the HVAC, so we just dealt with it. If you're over 6'2", just watch your head if you stand up while on the riser

I had originally spec'd in a JVC projector, which would've had a throw around 17'. But i decided to pick up the Acer while it was on sale to just get us through a year or two, and then upgrade to a really nice one. that is why i have to run the cables up through a cable cover thingy to where the Acer is mounted, with it's much shorter throw.

Equipment will be hidden under the stairs, so i didn't really care how the "rack" looked. Cheap and effective wins out over aesthetics. I guess that's why i'm an engineer, not a fashion designer.

You'll probably notice the framing under the stairs. We are planning swing-out media racks in that space, so i can still have access to the back of the equipment when needed. I got the idea from a thread here: Green Dragon Bar and Bijou Construction Thread

We did do Dricore throughout the entire finished space. We used metal studs primarily, although I framed every doorway with wood. There are both line-level RCA and speaker wires pulled to all 7 spots, in case i ever want to go to active speakers.

The stairs and the theater area will both eventually get carpet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread

Last edited by saldog78; 09-15-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

More general pics (some a few months old):

Rear surround speakers, plus the chandelier over the "poker area" table.

Back side of equipment closet

Projector mounted, all 5 lbs of it

Front of equipment "rack". It'll be behind a door, so i don't care how it looks.

Kids playing Lego Marvel Heroes on PS3.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread
Old 09-15-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

So next tasks:
  • Polyurethane the wood (it's already stained, although that's not shown in the pictures posted above)
  • Install cove molding under some of the wood trim
  • Prime jamb extensions in doors
  • Caulk door casings and baseboards
  • Paint casings and baseboards
  • Paint doors
  • Install door handles
  • Have carpet installed
  • Get a countertop for bar

Speaking of the countertop, here's a better picture (from awhile back) of the bar area:

We're still not sure what we want as a countertop, but we're considering butcher block.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread
Old 01-14-2015, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

The basement is just about finished, except for the swing-out media shelves i need to build, so i figured i'd update this thread.

Back guest room

Old skool setup in the craft/playroom. 32" Sony Wega tube TV (bought in fall 2000) with a VCR, ReplayTV, and a PS2. Come to think of it, I should hook up my Sega Genesis too...

Decided on granite for the bar top

And the next big project: building the media shelves to go here:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread
Old 03-31-2015, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

For completion's sake, i figured i'd post a few more pics. I finished my swing-out built-in media shelves.

How they open:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread
Old 03-31-2015, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked: 1293
this is awesome! well done!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the swingout media!

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPR-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
Old 03-31-2015, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
this is awesome! well done!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the swingout media!
Thanks, i appreciate it. I guess i never explained the motivation well for why i wanted them to be able to swing open. I want to be able to easily access the back of my A/V electronics, as well as my networking hardware, all of which reside in the closet under the stairs. Soon to have a new Plex Media Server / HTPC in there, as well

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread