All righty, onto the top and bottom. Here is where I changed up my plans. At first this was going to be fixed masking (screen here is 16x9). but I thought while I'm testing out other weird stuff maybe I can come up with something different for top and bottom masking.
What I came up with was to use the fabric itself as the "hinge" the fabric folds up and down as needed to mask off to a scope aspect ratio. I'll write up a thread about that later, but what you see here are the fabric panels for the top and bottom.
Here is the top panel (with foam boards from Hobby Lobby "inside" the panel) as it is getting taped together. Same process, measure out the fabric, tape over the edges and velcro to the screen.
This is the velcro along the top edge. The gaps are for the magnets, they are held in place with tape and then the fabric itself is installed over the magnets.
Here is the top panel installed, and the mask up for 16x9 movies.
Here is the top panel installed, and the mask down for scope material. You can see in the shadows where the foam board pieces inside the material come together. I don't use those lights normally, but had them on for pics and to show what I could. I fixed the 'bending' problem with the panels on the bottom mask. That isn't visible normally since those lights are never on, but I did want to show that.
And then here is the bottom panel installed as well. Foam board inside the mask, and velcro right to the screen surface.
Panels installed and masking "open":
Panels installed and masking "closed":
Overall, it went really well. I think I might use some of this on my next theater. The masking is literally like a second to open and close. The top is longer, like two to three seconds instead of one
, due to how I made the panels, but it is super fast and invisible.
Let me know if you have any questions. Fun to test things out!