Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Well, I don't know where to start...

I'll try to keep this really short as best I can.

In the process of building my HT room, I'm at the point where the DD is all installed with GG in between.
Soffits are done with OSB, GG and DW. (after the walls were done)

I'm now finishing up my stage and riser, both filled with sand, and something happened that I noticed lately. ( I can hear what's happening outside my room)

Yesterday, especially, was a disappointment to say the least.

While working in my HT Room putting the 3rd layer of OSB on my Riser.
My wife upstairs was moving some chairs and I couldn't believe how I can hear it downstairs in my room. She then called out my name to tell me supper was ready...and I heard her!
I keep reading all these threads of how people can't hear anything upstairs or when upstairs you can't hear downstairs.

I guess what I noticed yesterday is WTF did I do wrong?
Why do I hear what's happening upstairs?

I did everything that you guys did!
My ceiling is decoupled with Whisper clips, hat channel, DD 5/8" and GG in between. After the first layer of DW, I put acoustical caulking EVERYWHERE.

I just don't get it

What am impressed about though, is how quiet it is in the room.
I played music in the room...(2 speakers and a single 12" sub on the sand filled riser and I can hear it upstairs. If I crank it pretty good (-25 volume on a HK7550HD) things shake a little upstairs.
This discourages me because I will be putting 4x 15" subs on the riser and have a feeling that it will sound too loud!

Really sorry about this rant but I'm soo discouraged especially being 6 months into this project.

any guidance, feedback, advice would be appreciated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Not sure how long ago your drywalling was done but Green Glue takes 30 days to cure and be fully effective. That's to the best of my knowledge anyway. Is your door hung yet, as I know that without it there was very little sound containment in my room. I did the clips, channel, gg and double drywall and am thrilled with the results.
Best of luck.
Greg.

Follow my thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 07:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Yes, was the door closed? I've noticed that often when the room is DDW and GG and the door way is wide open you hear the footsteps and your mind tells you that it is directly overhead. But in reality it is coming in through the door. Ask Damelon about this phenomena, we experienced it on his project, the Bacon Race

PROJECTS:

post #4 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Any chance it is coming through the HVAC? Even with my door open it is difficult to hear what is going on upstairs.

post #5 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
What they said. You would not believe how much difference it makes to wait the full cure time.

Other than that, for voices the DD/GG should be foolproof - even if you screwed up the decoupling somehow it would do a great job with blocking speech.

Impact noises (chair moving etc) are a different kind of sound transmission - if that is a big concern the technique would have been to treat the floor above (from underneath). But I wouldn't worry about that too much.
post #6 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guys, thanks for your responses...
The door was slightly open (if that's it boy would I be happy)
It's been almost 3 weeks since I put the final piece of DW. I'll wait a couple of weeks to see if there's a difference.

Today I put music upstairs (PC) and came downstairs and I can clearly hear it with the door closed. I'm doing another test right now.
I just finished putting a layer of Sonopan on the inside of the door and am going to buy longer screws to put back the handle and will redo the PC music test.

I'll show you with a picture what I did..

BTW...I very sure that I did not screw up the decoupling.

Should be back shortly.

Thanks

Big...My HT is completely based on the makin the bacon HT and sandmans HT.
I'm basically copying both to the best of my ability and know it will be NOWHERE near.

Regards,

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #7 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Did you decouple the 4 walls of the room from the floor joists above?
post #8 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Did you insulate the walls?

HVAC flanking would be the next culprit IMHO.

Dave

|
|
|
post #9 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Yes, tell us about the walls and ventilation

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #10 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Yes, was the door closed? I've noticed that often when the room is DDW and GG and the door way is wide open you hear the footsteps and your mind tells you that it is directly overhead. But in reality it is coming in through the door. Ask Damelon about this phenomena, we experienced it on his project, the Bacon Race

This was true. We had all of the room very well soundproofed but the door wasn't hung and we could still hear the sound from upstairs through the doorway, but it sounded like it was overhead. Once the door was in and closed with the seal... total silence. It made me very paranoid about my decisions up until then.

That said, it may also be due to other factors. Did you decouple your walls, did you insulate the ceiling and walls? Did you just run ventilation ducts directly into the room or did you isolate them?

post #11 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

Did you decouple the 4 walls of the room from the floor joists above?

Id you mean with IB clips then no I did not.
Boy do I ever regret that!!!

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #12 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Did you insulate the walls?

HVAC flanking would be the next culprit IMHO.

3 of the 4 walls are foundation and the framing is 1" from the foundation.
All 3 walls are insulated with R13 pink fiberglass

The 4th wall is built with 2x4 with Whisper clips Hat channel DD and GG.
It is also filled with R13 pink fiberglass.

Celling is Whisper clips, Hat channel, DD and GG and filled with R19 pink insulation.

I have a HVAC in the middle of the room.
I decoupled around it with Whisper clips with an 3/4" gap between bottom of HVAC and 1st OSB layer. I put insulation between this. After the 1st 5/8 layer of OSB I then GG and put a layer of 5/8 DW. this "Box" is attached to the Hat channel on the joist.

I'm disappointed how much sound |I can hear upstairs. I really expected less sound. Reading all the comments on this forum, I baffled that I can easily hear the music playing upstairs and it's not even loud.

Kind regards,

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #13 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

Id you mean with IB clips then no I did not.
Boy do I ever regret that!!!

Yes, that's what I meant
post #14 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

This was true. We had all of the room very well soundproofed but the door wasn't hung and we could still hear the sound from upstairs through the doorway, but it sounded like it was overhead. Once the door was in and closed with the seal... total silence. It made me very paranoid about my decisions up until then.

That said, it may also be due to other factors. Did you decouple your walls, did you insulate the ceiling and walls? Did you just run ventilation ducts directly into the room or did you isolate them?

Damelon,

1st of all...I'm completely in love with your room. It is a great inspiration for my room.
Congrats on a beautiful theater.

I answered above what you are asking...I am truly surprised how easy it is for me to hear sound from upstairs.
I just installed a 3/4" thick Sonopan on my full door and it made no difference

I'll post a picture soon.

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #15 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

The lack of IB3s isn't the problem.

Given that the glue is mostly dry, and you can easily hear voices (high frequency + low volume) this points directly to a flanking issue. Some hole somewhere. That sound simply cannot pass through 1 1/4" of highly damped, decoupled mass.

Typically the ventilation and door are the suspects. Sonopan has no mass so don't look for it to tell you anything. Putting that product in front of a door will no nearly zero and therefore the door could still be suspect.

This is the distinct risk when installing ducts and vents in the ceiling.

Ted

post #16 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 10:49 AM

Liked: 11
Ted, how would one get away from having this flanking in the HVAC ducts? I ask because I have a similar condition in my basement where the main supply trunk runs along the ceiling in the center of the basement and various branches go to feed the different rooms above (2 for the living room above, 1 for the office/room next door, 1 for the dining room above) as well as the 2 ducts on the basement ceiling.

post #17 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The Main ducts are shielded by the decoupled double drywall. So we don't worry too much about those.

The direct feeds to the room are what we worry about. If we drop the supply or return into a soffit, instead of directly into the room, we can use a soffit as a muffler. Essentially the sound + air would travel through the soffit. The soffit would be 12-15 feet long. The energy in a sound wave would be dropped considerably after fighting through 15 feet of insulation within the soffit muffler.

A soffit muffler might look like this:

Ted

post #18 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I have no experience with this whatsoever, but I'd try to troubleshoot the problem before you get too out of sorts. Ted could chime in here, but these are things I'd try

1) Stuff some insulation in the HVAC vents and see if that helps the sound transmission. If so, that's a problem

2) Try something similar with the door. Hang some comforters/blankets over the door. Anything that's easy to get up there, that will cover the entire opening, and you can stuff in the cracks. Then you're just looking.... er... listening for any change. Not to completely eliminate it. You just want to be able to say, "Yep, that makes a difference."

3) Have someone stomp or make noise directly above a section of your room, and see if you localize it to that point directly under the noise. If it sounds like it's coming from somewhere else, then I would guess a coupling problem.

4) Edit: Thought of another. Try putting your sub in the room that you seem to hear the best, and then go into your theater and try feeling of the walls, floor, ceiling, etc., and see where you feel the most vibration. That might help localize the problem as well.

Just some thoughts, and there may be reasons these won't work. But that's the sort of things I'd try.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #19 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

These are good thoughts to narrow down the flanking path

Ted

post #20 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 11:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Looking at his build thread the supply and return are connect with a good length of flex duct. They enter the theater through Sonopan lined backer boxes built inside the soffit. Lighting is inside the soffit which was built inside the room.

What isn't clear is how the duct and beam that cuts across the theater lower than ceiling height were boxed around and isolated. Also the finished pictures of your black ceiling show a couple of bare bulb fixtures hanging from the wiring. Did those areas get addressed some how?

PROJECTS:

post #21 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

I have no experience with this whatsoever, but I'd try to troubleshoot the problem before you get too out of sorts. Ted could chime in here, but these are things I'd try

JPA, thanks man...very thoughtful and thanks for helping...

Quote:

1) Stuff some insulation in the HVAC vents and see if that helps the sound transmission. If so, that's a problem

Stuffed both my HVAC vents (1x out and 1x in) absolutely no difference.
Does that mean it's fine?

Quote:

2) Try something similar with the door. Hang some comforters/blankets over the door. Anything that's easy to get up there, that will cover the entire opening, and you can stuff in the cracks. Then you're just looking.... er... listening for any change. Not to completely eliminate it. You just want to be able to say, "Yep, that makes a difference."

I just put some sonopan on the entire door and it made a small difference.
I think I have a major issue with my door cause my wife just came home and said my name and I could clearly hear her with the door shut!!!!

Quote:

3) Have someone stomp or make noise directly above a section of your room, and see if you localize it to that point directly under the noise. If it sounds like it's coming from somewhere else, then I would guess a coupling problem.

I will definitively try this once my kids are back from school...wife just left to ski.

Quote:

4) Edit: Thought of another. Try putting your sub in the room that you seem to hear the best, and then go into your theater and try feeling of the walls, floor, ceiling, etc., and see where you feel the most vibration. That might help localize the problem as well.

I'm not sure I understand but here's what I did...
While the music was playing upstairs (right above the HT room) I put my hear against the 4 walls and could not believe how loud it was...this scares me!!

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #22 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Liked: 11
Ted,

So if I understand you correctly, since the main supply and return trunk pass in the center of the room, I will build a soffit to house them and insulate (I was planning on building a soffit around the trunks already). As for the direct feeds into the room and rooms above/adjacent, those will be running in the joist cavity so does that make a difference or do they need to be insulated in any way as well?

post #23 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Big,

Here's a picture of my duct before I put the OSB + DW.
I put a hat channel on each side as per Ted's instructions when we spoke on the phone.
Notice you can barely see the right side one but they are both there.
I then built the box 3/4" past the bottom of the Duct, put some thin layer of insulation followed by 5/8 OSB, GG and finally a layer of 5/8 drywall.

Kind regards,

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #24 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok I don't think this has been mentioned yet. What kind of door do you have? If it's hollow core then that very well could be your problem. You want a nice heavy solid core door, possibly even damped with another layer of MDF and green glue. Even better would be a communicating door setup.

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #25 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Ok I don't think this has been mentioned yet. What kind of door do you have? If it's hollow core then that very well could be your problem. You want a nice heavy solid core door, possibly even damped with another layer of MDF and green glue. Even better would be a communicating door setup.

It's a 1 3/4" solid core door with weather striping all around.
I will do the 2x 5/8 MDF with GG in between. I'm totally lost on how to put the door handle in after those additions.

I just put 3/4" sonopan and the handles barely reach each other.

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #26 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
You seem to be doing things right. Do you have decibel meter? Might be worth taking a few measurements, door closed, adjacent rooms, possible flanking routes, etc.

In my old room, which was probably a bit less than yours in sound proofing efforts, only the LFE leaked, and it was muted in the adjacent spaces only.

Dave

|
|
|
post #27 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

It's a 1 3/4" solid core door with weather striping all around.
I will do the 2x 5/8 MDF with GG in between. I'm totally lost on how to put the door handle in after those additions.

I just put 3/4" sonopan and the handles barely reach each other.

Adding the MDF is a good idea. But if you have that heavy of a door and you still hear voices then I can't believe it would be your problem. There's got to be something else here. Holes for lights, switches, any unsealed openings in the room?

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #28 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Maniac View Post

since the main supply and return trunk pass in the center of the room, I will build a soffit to house them and insulate

Yes, that's one way. Then apply clips and channels to the soffit frame before drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Maniac View Post

As for the direct feeds into the room and rooms above/adjacent, those will be running in the joist cavity so does that make a difference or do they need to be insulated in any way as well?

The feeds to any room other than the theater is not so much of a concern to us. Only the supply and return to the theater concern us, and we would require the sound to travel through the aforementioned muffler first, before joining up with the main HVAC trunks.

Ted

post #29 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Adding the MDF is a good idea. But if you have that heavy of a door and you still hear voices then I can't believe it would be your problem. There's got to be something else here. Holes for lights, switches, any unsealed openings in the room?

I agree. It's the ease with which you can hear the voices that point to a relatively open flanking path

Ted

post #30 of 179 Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

I agree. It's the ease with which you can hear the voices that point to a relatively open flanking path

+1

Since you can hear someone call you from the floor above, that sounds more like an opening than conduction through the walls. Even with just drywall and insulation it would be muffled some. Like standing in your garage with the door closed and calling for someone inside the house.

Are the sounds muffled at all?

Edit: is there insulation behind that duct? I.e between the duct and the floor above?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page