surge protector/suppressor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-08-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
The other day there was an accident down the street from my house which knocked out a phone along with the transformer. When the electricity came back on I checked the circuit breaker panel and there was 6 breakers that were tripped. I was not in the right mind the morning this happened and did not unplup my rack from the wall. When I got home all of my A/V stuff seemed to be alright, except my Raxxess PD-800 surge protector. It still seems to be working, but when I got home and entered my room there was a distinct smell of burnt electronics. After checking everything on my rack (Onkyo TX-NR1008, XBOX360, PS3, and cable box) I traced the smell back to the Raxxess surge protector.

I am looking to replace the PD-800 and was looking for a little advice on what I should replace it with. First thing in the spring when the ground thaws I will be adding a whole house surge suppressor, but still would like to have point of source protection at outlets with electronics. After doing some research I have come up with the following, but I am not sure which to go with. Here is what I have been looking at.

1. http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-IBA.../dp/B00006B838

I like this one because it is one of the only ones I saw that has a 20A circuit breaker in it.

2. http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?s...lerid=14726895

I am not the biggest fan of Monster, but this one seems to be at a good price and looking at the specs this on has the highest Joules rating.

3. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ent_Power.html

I like the looks of this one and the fact that it is rack mountable.

I have a couple others but these are the ones on the top of my list. If anyone has any experience with these or has any other suggestions I would appreciate the input.

Thanks-Ed

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro

my blu ray collection -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my modest theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-09-2012, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bump. Isn't there anyone out there who has any suggestions.

my blu ray collection -

my modest theater -
post #3 of 14 Old 02-09-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
More equipment fails as a result of sags/brownouts than surges. What does the ground thaw have to do with a whole house, panel mounted, surge supressor?

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #4 of 14 Old 02-09-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
From that other thread Dennis you mentioned Innovolt. I googled a bit and came up with these products:

http://www.syratec.com/Products/Innovolt/innovolt.html

Seem like pretty good products.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

More equipment fails as a result of sags/brownouts than surges. What does the ground thaw have to do with a whole house, panel mounted, surge supressor?

I have always read that when you do a whole house surge suppressor that it is only as good as the earth ground that you provide it. Being that the house is from the 30' or 40's we wanted to put in a new earth ground to hook this up to.

What is something that could help with sags/brownouts? Something with AVR? I do not think we really have that problem in my area (NW Philly suburbs), but I guess it would not hurt to be protected from this.

my blu ray collection -

my modest theater -
post #6 of 14 Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

From that other thread Dennis you mentioned Innovolt. I googled a bit and came up with these products:

http://www.syratec.com/Products/Innovolt/innovolt.html

Seem like pretty good products.

Thanks for the link.

my blu ray collection -

my modest theater -
post #7 of 14 Old 02-09-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
What is something that could help with sags/brownouts?

That's not true. Sags and brownouts occur at an order magnitude more frequently than spikes.

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #8 of 14 Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

http://www.syratec.com/Products/Inno...echnology.html

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #9 of 14 Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not true. Sags and brownouts occur at an order magnitude more frequently than spikes.

What is not true? You quoted a question I had about what you would suggest to help guard against sags/brownouts.

my blu ray collection -

my modest theater -
post #10 of 14 Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

What I was referring to ... sorry for not being clear ... was a suggestion you don't have sags/brownouts in philly. You do. In any case, Innovolt has devices available. On the otherhand, I'd suspect you don't want your equipment shut off in the middle of a movie. The only other alternative is battery back-up.

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #11 of 14 Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What I was referring to ... sorry for not being clear ... was a suggestion you don't have sags/brownouts in philly. You do. In any case, Innovolt has devices available. On the otherhand, I'd suspect you don't want your equipment shut off in the middle of a movie. The only other alternative is battery back-up.

OK, I understand now. I was thinking about something like that, but kept hearing they are overkill unless you need for something like a PJ where the fan needs to run to cool the bulb down. Thanks for the help Dennis.

my blu ray collection -

my modest theater -
post #12 of 14 Old 02-12-2012, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Bump. Isn't there anyone out there who has any suggestions.

SurgeX
Brickwall

Both have wire-in modules. Both use series mode surge protection. No movs to fail. 15 & 20 amp modules and SurgeX also has more specialized products. Later
post #13 of 14 Old 02-13-2012, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattaca View Post

SurgeX
Brickwall

Both have wire-in modules. Both use series mode surge protection. No movs to fail. 15 & 20 amp modules and SurgeX also has more specialized products. Later

Thanks Gattaca. These two companies keep popping up so I will have to take a look. Surge X is a little expensive, but if it can never fail than it might be worth it.

my blu ray collection -

my modest theater -
post #14 of 14 Old 02-17-2012, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Thanks Gattaca. These two companies keep popping up so I will have to take a look. Surge X is a little expensive, but if it can never fail than it might be worth it.

I can recommend / have both. Each uses Series-Mode technology. It seems Brickwall's are more reasonably priced. (Refer to the industrial units on their site for a direct wire in option). The SurgeX units are better known, more polished / finished and better marketed. The Furman products also uses Series-Mode Surge protection in many of their designs. Later.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page