Ultratouch cotton/denim insulation - attaching to drywall? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Home Entertainment & Theater Builder > Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > Ultratouch cotton/denim insulation - attaching to drywall?

Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

DigitalJackson's Avatar DigitalJackson
07:58 AM Liked: 14
post #1 of 18
02-09-2012 | Posts: 143
Forgive me if this is answered in another thread...did a search and could not find. I'm about to install Ultratouch insulation on my back wall behind the screen wall and trying to figure out how to mount this stuff on the drywall. The retailer I purchased from suggested some spray adhesive and AC duct straps to hold it up. Any better suggestions?

stockmonkey2000's Avatar stockmonkey2000
08:06 AM Liked: 25
post #2 of 18
02-09-2012 | Posts: 1,710
I took the nail off the plastic washer on roofing nails and put a 3" screw through the ring. I painted the washer black and used that to hold up my insulation.

Ted White's Avatar Ted White
09:27 AM Liked: 33
post #3 of 18
02-09-2012 | Posts: 8,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

I took the nail off the plastic washer on roofing nails and put a 3" screw through the ring. I painted the washer black and used that to hold up my insulation.

I did the same thing (didn't paint black), replacing the nail for a drywall screw. I used these to hold up the 1" compressed duct liner on my lower walls.
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC
10:29 AM Liked: 722
post #4 of 18
02-09-2012 | Posts: 21,372
Just a heads, Damelon had a hell of a time getting long screws through the cotton insulation on his project, It would ball up and seize the bit. He ended up just hammering the long screws into the drywall. Didn't need the washers.
Ted White's Avatar Ted White
10:38 AM Liked: 33
post #5 of 18
02-09-2012 | Posts: 8,186
That's good to know. Thanks Big
damelon's Avatar damelon
10:42 AM Liked: 114
post #6 of 18
02-09-2012 | Posts: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Just a heads, Damelon had a hell of a time getting long screws through the cotton insulation on his project, It would ball up and seize the bit. He ended up just hammering the long screws into the drywall. Didn't need the washers.

Haha so true. First try it was one of those obvious moments, "Yeeeeaaah, that's not going to work..."
MrWicked's Avatar MrWicked
12:09 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 18
02-09-2012 | Posts: 46
Digital Jackson, where did you get the insulation, did you purchase it online, or get it local, thanks
redneck67's Avatar redneck67
12:13 PM Liked: 10
post #8 of 18
02-09-2012 | Posts: 11
I just bought a boatload of this stuff at menards
07:40 PM Liked: 14
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWicked View Post

Digital Jackson, where did you get the insulation, did you purchase it online, or get it local, thanks

I found it local at Payless Insulation (central Texas area)...was a lot cheaper than ordering online and having it shipped.
07:42 PM Liked: 14
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Good info. I assume the Ultratouch is light enough to attach straight to the drywall...no need to screw into hat channel?
nickbuol's Avatar nickbuol
02:38 PM Liked: 221
post #11 of 18
02-10-2012 | Posts: 1,838
I've got some of this stuff too, just waiting for me to be ready to do the same thing (on the front wall, behind speakers, behind false wall/screen. I am just to the "putting up drywall" stage in my theater, but I got the product on sale, so I am just waiting.

I was thinking that I would have to make some sort of frame, sort of like a mini wall framing job, and put the insulation in there and hold it all up with some speaker fabric (like the middle-priced stuff at PartsExpress). You won't see it, but I don't like the idea of it just being there. I thought that for good measure I would use some 3M contact spray glue to get it to "stick" a little to the wall, and then just staple that fabric on the frame to hold everything in place.

Maybe I can get by with something less complex. The screws bunching up seem like they would be a problem. I bet that it would be more successful if you could have someone compress the insulation right where you are putting the screw. Then is should go THROUGH it and not CHEW it. LOL
MrWicked's Avatar MrWicked
03:12 PM Liked: 10
post #12 of 18
02-10-2012 | Posts: 46
how thick of stuff are you guys using, I was also thinking of putting this stuff behind my false wall / screen. I have seen it in all kinds of thickness, thanks

Craig Nissen
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC
03:40 PM Liked: 722
post #13 of 18
02-10-2012 | Posts: 21,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalJackson View Post

Good info. I assume the Ultratouch is light enough to attach straight to the drywall...no need to screw into hat channel?

correct
nickbuol's Avatar nickbuol
03:50 PM Liked: 221
post #14 of 18
02-10-2012 | Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWicked View Post

how thick of stuff are you guys using, I was also thinking of putting this stuff behind my false wall / screen. I have seen it in all kinds of thickness, thanks

Craig Nissen

Here is the info about the acoustical properties depending on the thickness:

With that said, I went with buying the 3.5 inch thick stuff. I didn't want to loose too much space, although in the big scheme of things, what's 2 more inches...

Also, the 3.5 is cheaper (bundle costs more, but covers more sqft)...
08:27 PM Liked: 14
post #15 of 18
02-10-2012 | Posts: 143
Same for me...went with the 3.5 inch (R13).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Here is the info about the acoustical properties depending on the thickness:

With that said, I went with buying the 3.5 inch thick stuff. I didn't want to loose too much space, although in the big scheme of things, what's 2 more inches...

Also, the 3.5 is cheaper (bundle costs more, but covers more sqft)...

redneck67's Avatar redneck67
10:20 PM Liked: 10
post #16 of 18
02-10-2012 | Posts: 11
I am actually putting it IN my walls and ceiling (mostly for the user friendliness of it compared to fiberglass with kids running around)
dragonfyr's Avatar dragonfyr
05:39 AM Liked: 13
post #17 of 18
02-11-2012 | Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck67 View Post

I am actually putting it IN my walls and ceiling (mostly for the user friendliness of it compared to fiberglass with kids running around)

Not a good reason to switch.

Organic fibers (cotton, wool, hemp, etc....) are more dangerous than either Fiberglass or Rockwool that dissolve within 2 weeks and are simply listed as irritants, whereas the organics do not - with more serious results such as byssinosis.

The better option is Fiberglass and mineral wool options using formaldehyde free binders such as Knauf's Ecose.

And for LF modal issues, the gas flow resistance of the maximally fluffed cheap 'pink fluffy stuff' outperforms the more dense semi-rigid panels or the similarly more dense organics. It also costs significantly less money - and you can employ cheap plastic orchard bird netting to contain it)
dragonleepenn's Avatar dragonleepenn
06:59 AM Liked: 32
post #18 of 18
02-11-2012 | Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalJackson View Post

Forgive me if this is answered in another thread...did a search and could not find. I'm about to install Ultratouch insulation on my back wall behind the screen wall and trying to figure out how to mount this stuff on the drywall. The retailer I purchased from suggested some spray adhesive and AC duct straps to hold it up. Any better suggestions?

I've had it for about 3yrs and it works great for bass trapping. The way i installed it was to simply build a false wall behind the screen, 24" on center stud style. I got the 23.5" by 94" and 3.5 thick ultra. Simply stapled the material to the studs. I did leave a two inch air gap from the actual finished wall to the false ultra wall.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Subscribe to this Thread