Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

12' is a decent width for 3 seats across, but even then I think you will appreciate an extra couple of feet, if for no other reason than to get the surround speakers further away from your head.

Having the room to potentially do 4 seats across is a big plus IMO.

I agree with Kromkamp, my theater is 12' wide and does not allow for columns to hide the surrounds and a has a smaller aisle than I would like. So if you can add more width, I would do it. Also, I would recommend soundproofing the room if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you have not already done so, I would suggest you take a couple hours and read through the "Making the Bacon Race Theater thread (click here)". This is an excellent thread of a theater build that really demonstrates a lot of the concepts being discussed here. While the budget for the Bacon Race theater might be way over yours, you can still apply many of the same concepts on a much lower budget.
post #33 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by arscott82 View Post

Ok, I just read up on flanking. I never thought that the concrete floor would leak noise like that. You think if I seal the bottom of the walls a couple places with acoustical sealant and put carpet down that would be alright. Because to be honest I don't think I could afford to put a floating floor down.

Should I worry about sound conditioning? Or is that something for more of a high dollar room?

Thanks for all this help. This weekend I'll be going to home depot and starting on my walls and ceiling.

Concrete flooring is a primary offender of noise. No, carpeting and sealing walls is not enough. You need to seal ALL the "couple of places" not just a few of them.

Heed Dennis' and Ted's advice. Slow down. Trying to get this done in a weekend will only exacerbate the problem. You will regret everything you are currently doing. The mark of a true professional is knowing when you are in over your head.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page