Master construction methods/planning thread? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-10-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been here for a while now. I've been reading this Dedicated Theater area for a couple of years. I've been working on my theater (off and on) for a year. I keep getting lost. Trying to figure out everything, as I found in another thread while searching just now, is like drinking from a fire hose. I found this link in someone's sig to a post from Big, that helps. Still, I'm left wondering why we don't have a sticky post here for people just starting out. A lot of us start from an empty basement and need to know how to get started. Should we put down Dricore and frame on top of that? Should we put that down after drywall? How do we construct our framing? How do we isolate it from the joists? Sand in a stage? What goes on top of the stage and why? Pink stuff in your riser?

I know we couldn't cover everything. But just seems we could help a lot of folks out and save a great deal of searching and answering the same questions over and over. Seems like we could have a few threads, with 1 master containing all the links. Cover methods as well as some of the theory. A few threads such as:

Planning - Size considerations, sound isolation, ventilation, etc.
Framing for soundproofing
Stage construction
Riser construction
DD/GG
Acoustical treatments, bass traps. Why? How? Where? When?

I feel like I've dug all this stuff up, but then I get busy and by the time I need it, I have to go digging again to find it all. Was it 2 supplies and 1 return for ventilation? On top of the stage do I put 3/4" plywood, GG, more wood? Where does this roofing felt go and why? This all goes on top of Dricore if I'm using it?

The list goes on and on. I sadly don't have all the answers, or even know all the questions. I would be more than happy to help organize information or whatever I can do to help, but would some of the experts here be willing to help with a list of questions folks should be asking and some answers? Clearly we have a number of people who have been through it all. We have experts like Ted and Dennis helping people out every day. Without them we'd all be lost! Guys who have built their own theaters and/or helped others build numerous theaters (Big comes to mind right off the top.)

Not sure if there is any interest or how to get this going. I guess I'm just looking for feedback and a feel for how many other people feel like I do. Or maybe I'm just not seeing something and all this information is already compiled and organized somewhere and I'll just get chased out of here.

Thanks for reading...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-10-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Its been started a couple times. It usually winds up being too much of a project for any one person to do, and if you get into a group FAQ, well, just hasn't happened. The other big factor is most rooms have some specific issues that need some commentary.

For the big guns, we are lucky to get their contributions, in whatever form it is.

The closest thing to something served up on platter is Warren's book:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=21617962

For a bit more money, and a lot less time are the quick plans:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1267433

After that you are stuck reading here for at least a couple months. Six months to a year being more realistic. For that approach, one jump start is the thread in my sig that you linked to, all of the well traffic'd threads, especially CJO's with his psuedo FAQ (linked in Big's post), and reading the sticky's and show-me's. Well at least the first few pages of the master acoustic thread.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Its been started a couple times. It usually winds up being too much of a project for any one person to do, and if you get into a group FAQ, well, just hasn't happened. The other big factor is most rooms have some specific issues that need some commentary.

For the big guns, we are lucky to get their contributions, in whatever form it is.

The closest thing to something served up on platter is Warren's book:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=21617962

For a bit more money, and a lot less time are the quick plans:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1267433

After that you are stuck reading here for at least a couple months. Six months to a year being more realistic. For that approach, one jump start is the thread in my sig that you linked to, all of the well traffic'd threads, especially CJO's with his psuedo FAQ (linked in Big's post), and reading the sticky's and show-me's. Well at least the first few pages of the master acoustic thread.

I hadn't seen the book before. Maybe that's what I'm after. Thanks.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-10-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Its a lot of what you read here, more organized. I read a prior version of it. I don't think Warren would disagree with that assessment.

Here are some old stabs at it. Its a good idea that has never quite come together:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=faq
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=faq

I think there are more in the archives, although some techniques have evolved.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-10-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Its a lot of what you read here, more organized. I read a prior version of it. I don't think Warren would disagree with that assessment. ...

Hi, Nope I don't disagree with that at all. I often tell folks that my number one recommended resource is this forum right here. Obviously I have a vested interest if folks want to check out the book, but there is no book that can be written by anyone that could even come close to the group's knowledge here on the forum.

Another great benefit of the forum here is simply the interaction, being able to ask a question, post a picture or plan and have lots of sets of eyes look at it and offer pointers and suggestions.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page