ADVICE NEEDED: Need To Paint Reflective Metal Above Screen... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-11-2012, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Though it's built into an existing main floor living room, I built my home theater with the attempt to minimize effects of the room on the projection screen, while watching movies. My entire screen wall is black velvet around the screen, below the screen, directly above the screen. My ceiling is dark brown felt and I can pull dark velvet curtains out along the walls.

I'm tweaking my room further to get it even more into "black box" territory when watching movies, extending black velvet further along my ceiling in front of the screen. However, one fly-in-the-ointment remains: the panel track that drives my automated masking sits 2 feet up, directly above the screen, and it is a brilliant reflective, white metal. It's 5 inches wide or so, but about 3 1/2" of it juts out past the screen frame. So I'm concerned that such a close streak of reflective white could be an issue. Although it is at such an extreme angle (right above) to the screen, I'm not sure if that means it will have less...or more...reflective effect.

Anyway, to cut to the chase: I want to paint it black. Flat, matte black preferably.

Can anyone offer advice on how to go about doing this? Spray paint? Other type?

One possibly tricky issue: This is the metallic rail that my automated panel system slides along, so I wouldn't want to end up somehow screwing that up - the panels should still be able to glide unimpeded after painting.

Please look at this link to the page on my Home Theater Build thread, which has pictures of the white panel track above my screen during the installation, so you can see what I mean:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18735547

Those shots are before the valance boards were put over that track, covering it from view.

Here is the part of the build thread showing the valance boards that are placed over, to cover and hide that track from view. This was before those boards were covered on both sides with black velvet. So to see the white track you have to go to the screen and peer upwards, to see it between the valance and the screen wall:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18735549

The valance boards are covered in black velvet on both sides to reduce any light bounce from those tracks, so I'm sure that helps. However, a portion of the track is, of necessity, in an unimpeded, open view if you are looking directly up from the screen, looking at that white track tucked up there - I can see the light hitting it pretty strongly with a projected image.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would be most reluctant to paint that track at this point. You could easily end up causing problems with the mechanism by getting paint in it.

Is it a real problem or are you simply attempting to achieve perfection? I doubt if much of that light you see reflecting off the track is actually making it back to the screen and that the small percentage that is is degrading the picture that much.

Of course, you could paint it and see what happens. If it works after your paint job, wonderful. If it doesn't, you could take advantage of this offer that is in the manufacturer's brochure---

"Standard colours: White RAL 9010, natural. Special colours on request."
post #3 of 5 Old 02-12-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Man I didn't want to hear that (thanks).

Second opinions...anyone?

Rich H

post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Bump...

Anyone with painting knowledge have an opinion?

Rich H

post #5 of 5 Old 02-13-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Can you dismantle it and then rub down, prime and paint the ribbed part that we can see in the pic?

That way should prevent anything getting into the mechanism or track.

The only other thing I can think of is to have some foam strips attached to the underside in between the ribbing - like door frame draft excluder. You can get it in black and if you get the right thickness it might reduce the bright parts enough to make a difference without affecting the operation. It probably won't be perfect, but better than nothing.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page