I got the ok to finish the basement, build!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I figured I would start a thread on my basement build the the Admiral just gave me the green light on. This will be a L shaped basement build with the theater going into the long part. We will be doing a drop ceiling do to access to mechanicals etc. Going to be 2 rows of 3 chairs and possible bar behind second row. Also construction starts end of the month.

Layout

bottom of stairs looking in

looking at screen wall

Looking at the back of theater area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 02:46 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Couple of quick observations. I'm pretty confident that drain pipe could be tucked against the outside wall and you would gain some headroom if you were to build a perimeter soffit.

A growing number of local building code jurisdictions require the addition of an an emergency window exit when unfinished basements are converted to living space. It started only be required for basement bedrooms but some areas now want to see it if any living spaces are being constructed. Personally I think it is a good idea.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Couple of quick observations. I'm pretty confident that drain pipe could be tucked against the outside wall and you would gain some headroom if you were to build a perimeter soffit.

A growing number of local building code jurisdictions require the addition of an an emergency window exit when unfinished basements are converted to living space. It started only be required for basement bedrooms but some areas now want to see it if any living spaces are being constructed. Personally I think it is a good idea.

Yeah that drain pipe is a real pain in the butt! I have talked to my plumber about it and waiting for him to come over and take a look. If the pipe stays it will be boxed in like a beam and have a head height of 6'6". Main area will be ceiling height around 6'11".
post #4 of 7 Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so it has been a little bit since I last updated the build thread. Since last post my wife and I finished cleaning out the basement and put 2 coats of Drylok on the walls and on the floor. Also framing has started and should be completed hopefully by the end of the week. Next week hoping to add another heat zone for the new area and then have the electrician do all wiring for the outlets, lights and switches etc, I will do all low voltage stuff.
As for the wast pipe that you see in the picture I spoke with several plumbers and unfortunetly it has to stay where it is do to the bulkhead door. If it is moved tight against the outside wall it would be in the way of the entry door from the bulkhead. Also it would cost alot more to move so it will be boxed in. Hopefully with the black ceiling the sofit will not be to noticable. Anyway here are a couple of pics thus far.

Walls Drylok

Framing
post #5 of 7 Old 08-29-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Well it has been a while since I have posted on this build. To bring you up to speed it is just about done. We just need second row of seating and some posters etc. The front row is only temporary till the bride gives the word for some nice theater seats. Think second row will be just a leather couch. In the theater area because of the low height do to pipes we painted all the joists and pipes black. We also went with the 110" Sable Elite screen. In the gym area we ended up hanging board on the ceiling. We also went with blueboard and plaster as a good friend of mine is a plasterer and donated his labor to the build. Below are some pics to date and a link to video.

Jon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vUEbKeZjnw

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2517.jpg
post #6 of 7 Old 08-30-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Looking pretty good! cool.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Liked: 10
Wow, our spaces have alot in common! Looking good!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page