By the Seat of My Pants Theater... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 02-29-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a very difficult time following a plan so this is my "By the Seat of My Pants" Theater. Keep in mind this is pretty much a blank slate basement. Ive in the process of finishing the entire thing.

Equipment I already have:
Epson 8350
Energy CF70 (2) Left and Right speakers
Energy CC10 (1) Center
Energy CB20 (2) Left and right surrounds
Energy CB10 (2) Left and right rears
Denon 1611

At the moment im thinking an AT screen in the 106" range. The pic shows 8' (96") for the screen just because thats about the width of a 106" diagonal screen.

Im also considering In-wall speaker for my surrounds just to avoid the speakers hangin on the walls. Who knows?

Projector will be mounted at the rear of room and throw distance should be around 14ft.

I did my picture in colors to help with seeing what everything is.

Heres the color key:
yellow--acoustic panels.
red--AT screen
Blue--screen wall
Black---speakers and sub behind seating
Purple--equipment rack. No taller then the height of the seating
Orange--entry door
Green Dot in the lower left of room is a support pipe for the Beam in the basement.

The room depth in my drawing ends up 16"6" but im pretty sure it will end up 17". Some how my drawing ended up off by 6". I plan to have large removeable panels in front of the left and right front speakers for access to behind the screen wall. One problem I have at the moment is that my exterior walls are already studded and are NOT decoupled from the floor joist. They ARE decoupled from the walls though. The studs have about a 1" gap between them and the foundation walls. SOOOOO... do I leave the coupled walls as is or do I cut them down to put clips in??? Im not looking for a crazy acoustically sealed room.

The room will be wired for 7.1. Im not sure im going to use the 2 rears but I will wire for it. Also as previously stated I may opt for In-walls to avoid surrounds protruding from the walls plus with the screen wall hiding the 3 front speakers I think it would be nice to have In-walls so that all speakers are "hidden."

Oh ya... Ceiling height...From my unfinished floors to the bottom edge of the joists are 104". To the bottom edge of the beams is 94.5". There is 2 beams that will be in the rooms ceiling, one where the green dot/post is and runs parallel to the back wall and one that runs directly inline with the "12'" dimension line in front of the screen wall. Im gonna do my best to make the ceilings as high as possible.

Read more: By the seat of my pants theater - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-29-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

oops...here we go I hope

Attachment 238921
LL
post #3 of 24 Old 03-01-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
center seating and add symmetry up front

deepen AT space and place sub up front

av rack outside the room

explore masking/zooming/scope/semi-constant
area screen options.

Are the side surround speakers direct radiators? Their positioning could be improved.

treat entire AT space
LL
post #4 of 24 Old 03-01-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Heres another design I made . This is more of my favorite because I gain a large equipment closet. Plus I have access to behind the screen wall through the closet, secret squirrel style.

I plan to do all the treatments necessary.

This plan just forces me to move my pool table a few feet. No big deal really.

Attachment 238934
LL
post #5 of 24 Old 03-01-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Why not all three speakers behind the AT screen? There's advantages to getting the speakers out of the corners. Curved AT fabric panels on the front wall? And why the sub behind the seating? (Running the LR mains full range and you like the tactile feedback?)

I prefer your second design, but once again I would flip the room end for end. That pole could be buried in a column then. AT space access could be a velcro'ed and hinged fabric panels. The entry door and rack door could be symmetrically located on the side walls.

sent you a pm...

I'm sure you come up with lots of plans since you aren't trying to cram too much into the space.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-01-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Why not all three speakers behind the AT screen? There's advantages to getting the speakers out of the corners. Curved AT fabric panels on the front wall? And why the sub behind the seating? (Running the LR mains full range and you like the tactile feedback?)

I prefer your second design, but once again I would flip the room end for end. That pole could be buried in a column then. AT space access could be a velcro'ed and hinged fabric panels. The entry door and rack door could be symmetrically located on the side walls.

sent you a pm...

I'm sure you come up with lots of plans since you aren't trying to cram too much into the space.

I was at work today and thought the same thing... why not put all 3 speakers behind the screen. My brain doesnt work as good as it used to so it takes me longer to think of the obvious.

Also a good idea I never thought of...flipping the room end for end.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Concerning the last design I posted, with the room in the "North South" orientation...

I technically could go as deep as I want as the basement is I think 48 feet deep. So if I really needed to steal another foot or so then I will. The WAF will have to deal with.

Oh ya, I only put the subwoofer behind the seating because I thought it might give a better bass feel being closer to the seats. Whatever is best is where I will put it.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

1st layout would work better for surrounds if the room was widened and slightly lengthened.
LL
post #9 of 24 Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

What about this so far? Im not sure what to do with the pole? The pole is at the 12'3" dimensions. Its hard to see since I made the pole and dimension lines all green.

Also i didnt put any surrounds in yet. I think this layout lends itself well to in wall surrounds, atleast on the sides.

Attachment 239184
LL
post #10 of 24 Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Keep in mind my Epson 8350 projectors throw distance is gonna be in the 13'6" range.
post #11 of 24 Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 PM

Liked: 12
For what it's worth, I tend to think your first design was on the right track - your loosing approx. a 12 x 4 space there on the right side of your last design. That space seems perfect for a nice stage w/ false wall set up, like the one in Tedds post - JMO though.

post #12 of 24 Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRwOOD73 View Post

For what it's worth, I tend to think your first design was on the right track - your loosing approx. a 12 x 4 space there on the right side of your last design. That space seems perfect for a nice stage w/ false wall set up, like the one in Tedds post - JMO though.

Im thinking so too. If I go that route I may steal an extra foot from outside the room which would make the room 14'wide. Also I re-measured and it looks like I may be able to stretch the room to about 17'3" deep.

Im going to do another design based on the new ideas.
post #13 of 24 Old 03-03-2012, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there aisle width to get past the seating? And the post becomes a bigger issue.

I lean towards a wider, slightly deeper version of your first version and recess the screen into that alcove area. It keeps that pesky post in the back of the room, at least out of eyesight. And maybe that post could get buried in a back wall that reflects the front wall. If you want the equipment closet, it could be added to the bottom wall, since you have lots of room to play with in that direction.

Is there any plans for the 9' wide space at the bottom of the stairs? The av rack could go there.
post #14 of 24 Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Funny you say that...Ive been drawing up just about that exact thing. I dont want to have the AV rack in the back upper corner because I dont want the area at the bottom of the stairs to get too tight and make moving furniture in and out of the basement too difficult.

I have a removable panel(blue line) to the left of the screen to allow access to behind the screen. Also the rear corner acoustical treatment I did that shape simply because it would bury the pole inside of it. Also I think In-Walls for the surrounds will help with space getting around the seating for entry and exit of the room.

My biggest concern is my throw distance is going to end up under 13' for around a 110" screen. Is that an issue? The Projector Central calulator for my Epson 8350, a 13' throw is about the minimum recommended and it puts my screen size at 97".

Attachment 239215
LL
post #15 of 24 Old 03-03-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Lovin' it.

Why not just use a some of the headroom in the hallway, and build a hushbox there? The pj can fire through the back wall.

I'd push the speakers 6" off the backside of the screen to be free of timbre shifting. A second sub would also help smooth out bass response.
post #16 of 24 Old 03-03-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

As far as the hush box for the PJ...Ill have to see what room there is. My main trunk for the HVAC runs along the back wall also. Put it this way, the back wall is "sandwiched" between the HVAC main trunk and the I beam. Its probably not too much of an issue because I have 9ft ceilings in the basement.
I also have an idea that will gain me about 8-10" of depth in the room.

On the 2nd subwoofer note. My AVR is only 7.1, what would I need to be able to have 2 sub signals? Nevermind, I didnt think it would be as easy as using a Y-splitter.
post #17 of 24 Old 03-04-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd watch you don't end up with the depth being twice the height.

The HVAC could be contained in a soffit in the theater's rear wall, with the wall beneath, pushed back to create some room depth.

You're going to have lots of height with nine foot ceilings. Any plans for soffits in the theater? With one row of seating and a 54x96"-ish screen, with seated eyes at the 1/3rd up the screen height, there's going to be a couple of feet above the screen.
post #18 of 24 Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

At the least there will be soffit along the back wall where the pole is and in front across the opening of the alcove. Theres an I-beam across there also to close in.

I would like to soffit all the way around and add moulding with the rope lighting inside. My intentions are a black drop ceiling surrounded by the soffits.

Finished ceiling height... From my floor joist to my unfinished floor is 104". From the I beams to the floor is 94.5. So Thats what Im working with. The depth being twice the height..How close to these dimension have to be when it becomes an issue? If my room ends up 17' deep and my ceiling ends up say 8'4". Does having the soffits counteract this issue?
post #19 of 24 Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

General consensus is to try to stay 5% away from identical or exact multiples of one another.

It's not like you're getting crazy with your screen size, and with one row, I'm guessing you'll be pulling the seating in towards the screen.

The I beam can be hidden in a soffit and you can keep more volume in the room. I guess this is a "how far do you want to take the room?" sort of thing.

And by drop ceiling, do you mean suspended ceiling tiles in grid or a dropped drywalled ceiling?
post #20 of 24 Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

By dropped ceiling I meant the grid style. I simply didnt want to seal off any ducts/pipes/ wiring/etc from easy access. I will be adding insualtion in the floor joists.
post #21 of 24 Old 03-04-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Another benefit to having my AV rack where it is is that I can make it "double sided" and put my 2nd AVR facing into the rest of the basement for music if entertaining outside the theater room.
post #22 of 24 Old 03-04-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The downside to the suspended grid ceiling, and 2nd receiver in the same rack is a higher noise floor, and sound escaping the theater.

I understand the desire for easy access in the ceiling, but does anyone ever really need to access the ceiling? The upper levels of the house have no easy access. (Not that I'd call cutting drywall and repairing drywall hard anyways...) Just something to consider...
post #23 of 24 Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I could put a second AV rack for the rest of the basement on the left of the theater room and put a bar with seating spanning the gap between the 2 AV closets for nice seating by the pool table.

As far as the ceiling goes...I suppose the only thing up there will be a HVAC duct. Ill wire through the walls. Drywalled ceilign will look much nicer and easier to paint and resist reflections especially on the grids framing .
post #24 of 24 Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

I just went downstairs and laid out the floor plan on the concrete with tape. I think my final drawing is a go. Also building a hush box at the back that will actually be partially outside of the room seems like it will be a non issue. So thats good.

I have one question. This is gonna open me up for some jokes but I can think of a better way to word it. Say I have 6" of wiggle room , am I better off using that to go from say 3'6" to 4' between my head and the back wall or going from 2' to 2'6" between the screen wall and front wall to give my front speakers a bit more breathing room? Did that make sense?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page