Show me your Star Ceiling - Page 3 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

Old 08-05-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I think foam board would work but the problem is covering it so that it is black. A lot of things like paint and adhesives will eat away at the foam. If you could find some that wouldn't then I think foam would be a good way to go.

My guess is because it is easily painted, has a smooth surface to it, and will not punch out when drilled using the very small bits required to hold the fibers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Wow Spaceman... this is the first time I've seen these pictures, and I love them!! You did a nice job getting the shots.

Jeff
Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Could you punch a fiber through some OC 703? Or maybe use a larger sewing needle to pull it through?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Easily. Use a micro tube (or Syringe needle). Stick tube in from exit side, stick fiber down tube, remove tube.

http://www.amazonsupply.com/stainless-steel-hypodermic-round-tubing/dp/B003TFFCBA/ref=sr_1_2?sr=1-2&qid=1375798688
BllDo likes this.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a great idea.

-

Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

I think foam board would work but the problem is covering it so that it is black. A lot of things like paint and adhesives will eat away at the foam. If you could find some that wouldn't then I think foam would be a good way to go.

My guess is because it is easily painted, has a smooth surface to it, and will not punch out when drilled using the very small bits required to hold the fibers.

I found some adhesive that I'm using for styrofoam and fabric.... what material do you use to cover the ceiling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

Could you punch a fiber through some OC 703? Or maybe use a larger sewing needle to pull it through?

there's an idea. but how do you guys get it black? do you cover it with material? spray it?

Pro-Am

Theater
Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH
Definitive Technology BP-2002TLs
Definitive Technology BP2X Speakers
Definitive Technology C/L/R 2500
Mirage BPS-400
Sharp AQUOS 70" 1080p LED HDTV

Living Room
Aperion Intimus 5 series
Denon AVR-1913
Old 08-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

^^^ 3M fabric adhesive, GOM fabric of your liking. FR701, Anchorage, etc.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Even velvet I think would work. You might lose some of the sound attenuation, but it'd be dark.

-

Old 08-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Recommend against velvet. Unless using stretch velvet, maybe. Normal velvet has no stretch and it will change size with fluctuations in humidity. Bad for wrinkling or sagging once installed. Although if your glue coverage was 100% I don't guess it would matter. Anyway Much more expensive than GOM (if you get it from me anyway). GOM panel fabrics are made for this.

But we are getting OT for the "show me" subject...
Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I ordered 20 yards of black FR701. I need about 13 yards for the start ceiling, so it'll be a while until I get to use it...I use the other 7 yards to cover my OC703 screen wall
Old 05-14-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi thanks for the photos.  The ceiling, is it painted black or material ?

thanks

Greg

Old 05-15-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb86 View Post

Hi thanks for the photos.  The ceiling, is it painted black or material ?
thanks
Greg

Painted can be done, but the genera;l consensus seems to be that fabric works the best. With paint, you have to drill the holes for the fibers after painting or the holes get covered up. You have to be careful when drilling not to ruin your paint job. Also repainting would be difficult once the fibers are in place.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Great thread. I'm researching ways to do a star ceiling for a new room I am planning. Its been almost a year since the last posts so I wanted to check in with you guys and see if anything's changed and to get more ideas for those who have recently done their fiber optic ceilings. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Build : Bacon Race Theater
Star Ceiling Type : Painted
Installer : Jeff from Night Sky Murals
Date of Installation : March 6th, 2015
Installation Type : "Level 3"
Painted Ceiling Area : About 12' 4" x 18' 6"

Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Very nice damelon! For these painted ceilings, what's required to light them up? Is it a black light or do they need to be charged like glow in the dark material? Can you control the lighting? For example, say you don't want to see the stars during a movie - can you prevent them from showing (such as removing its light source that's causing them to "glow")? Or likewise say you DO want them to show during a movie? Regarding the purple tones, is that painted of controlled with lighting? Can you make it so that no purple shows up or control the brightness of it? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Very nice damelon! For these painted ceilings, what's required to light them up? Is it a black light or do they need to be charged like glow in the dark material? Can you control the lighting? For example, say you don't want to see the stars during a movie - can you prevent them from showing (such as removing its light source that's causing them to "glow")? Or likewise say you DO want them to show during a movie? Regarding the purple tones, is that painted of controlled with lighting? Can you make it so that no purple shows up or control the brightness of it? Thanks.
It's a glow paint which is also a reactive material which Jeff uses on all of his murals. I have fluorescent lights in my soffit and a large fluorescent "stage light" which I use to charge the ceiling. Any normal fluorescent would light it, but the black lights at the correct wavelength, react to the paint as well, which makes it visible before it is charged. When the black lights are first turned on, you can see a lot of the ceiling, but it still needs to charge for a few minutes for everything to be visible with them on, and then more like 15 minutes (or more) for them to continue to glow at a good brightness even with the blacklights off. You can prevent them from showing during a movie by simply not charging them. None of the theater lights point at the ceiling, so the normal lighting won't do a thing to charge them since they are all in the soffit pointing down. If I do want them to show during a movie, I can pre-charge them or even leave on the black light. The purple tones you see in the photo are a result of the residual black light taken by the camera from the stage light I have on the floor. In the one shot, it is much more obvious because I am taking a photo almost right at the place the black-light on the floor is facing. The other one you only really notice on the edges of the red soffit how it appears purple vs red. This is a longer camera exposure so the light bleeds in, and I left the floor light on to help the photo come out. The one photo which shows the screen in it has a very good representation of how the ceiling looks with all of the lights off and the room completely blacked out after the paint has been charged. (The milky way is painted, and is not a result of the black light purple) We did watch Interstellar with the ceiling charged but did not leave the black lights on, and by the end of the movie the glow had pretty much faded. I could leave the black lights on of course for the effect. I can't control the brightness of the ceiling as it is paint, and the black lights are non-dimmable .fluorescent bulbs, so I can't control how bright those are either.

In general a lot of your questions also relate to the fiber vs painted debate, which is a personal preference A painted ceiling looks much more realistic, but it also suffers from the drawbacks of glowy/reactive materials. Fiber lights can be turned on and off at a whim, no charging, but also look more artificial. I've seen a ton of pictures, but you can't even describe how amazing it looks when you blackout the lights with the ceiling glowing, it makes the whole ceiling appear curved and your eyes play tricks on you as they adjust. The stars even seem to twinkle as a natural reaction to the components in the eye adjust to the absolute dark. Throw on some ambient music too and almost everyone is blown away.
NightSkyMurals and lpnaz480 like this.

Last edited by damelon; 03-30-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement