New dedicated room designed with Revit - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here is the plan for m new dedicated room. It is at a pretty early stage and I was wondering if you guys had any advice on speaker/LP/acoustic treatment placement suggestions for me.

The screen in the sketch is a Draper Onyx 2:35 148" powered by a JVC RS-55U.

Thanks!

HT Setup

PSN: le_gros_thon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-05-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

bump.

HT Setup

post #3 of 8 Old 03-06-2012, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
What is the screen-to-eyes distance?

Are you concerned with soundproofing?

Let us know exactly what you want out of the room and we can make some suggestions.

My first thoughts are that I would move the screen forward to accommodate an AT screen. Do you already have the screen?

Also, all the recessed lights will defeat any soundproofing you had intended to install (if you intended to install it). I would build the aquarium then soffit down where you want the lights. Put the lights in the soffit rather than punching holes through your aquarium.

I also think there are some audio issues with a near square room, but honestly that is above my pay grade. I am sure somebody else will comment.

Tim
post #4 of 8 Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

What is the screen-to-eyes distance?

Are you concerned with soundproofing?

Let us know exactly what you want out of the room and we can make some suggestions.

My first thoughts are that I would move the screen forward to accommodate an AT screen. Do you already have the screen?

Also, all the recessed lights will defeat any soundproofing you had intended to install (if you intended to install it). I would build the aquarium then soffit down where you want the lights. Put the lights in the soffit rather than punching holes through your aquarium.

I also think there are some audio issues with a near square room, but honestly that is above my pay grade. I am sure somebody else will comment.

Tim

First of all,thanks a lot Tim for your help. Soundproofing is a concerning but not the top concern. I'm working on a plan with soffits to help soundproofing and that should be pretty easy to do.

The viewing distance from the main listening area will be roughly 16'. About the square room, I'm aware that this is not the best way to go. What woyuld you suggest to limit the damage? Acoustic treatment?

HT Setup

post #5 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I think your seating distance is too far or your screen is too small. 1:1 ratio width:distance is a good starting point with today's projectors. Particularly so with a 2.35 screen.

Acoustic treatement is desired in a room of any size. There are plenty of threads instructing (and debating) on how and where to place treatments.

Is that the base of the chimney at the bottom-center of the diagram? I note there is no access. I would consider eliminating all those areas and place the screen on that wall. Create those spaces on the walls perpendicular to their existing location, giving yourself a more rectangular room.

Have you given any thought to using the professional design service in the sticky post at the top of this forum? It would seem a waste to spend so much money on a projector and compromise on the room design.

Either way, we're here to help.

Tim
post #6 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Are the walls up and/or fixed in place? Same question for the closet area(s)?

It's a big space for (only) 4 seats.

Your seating location at least in the drawing is closer to 14.5', which I think is a pretty good location for a 146" 2.35 screen. I'm at 15.5' in the main row to a 136" 2.35 screen.

If you relocated the entrance you easily have room for a second row or a bar table...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #7 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 207
+1 for acoustically transparent screen. Then you could go with a larger screen and still place your speakers at an optimal separation. You'd also be able to get that center channel up to where it needs to be.

Also, how many people do you plan to have in the room. You won't hear this often, but if you truly only need seating for four, you may be better off adding some walls to make it a smaller room. While a large space is great to reduce the seat-to-seat variations in the sound levels, it also means you'll likely need higher sensitivity (pronounced more expensive) speakers. Of course, that's just speaking in generalities, so every case will be a bit different.

If you do reduce the size of the room, it might give you the opportunity to use the blocked off space for an IB sub.

If you could post up a layout of the entire basement, you might get some input regarding different layouts of your room.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #8 of 8 Old 03-08-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your input.

First of all, the walls aren't up yet. The bottom-middle void is not a closet but the stairway that connect the 1st floor the the garage, so it's not usable.

I could always make the rack closet bigger to have a more rectangular room.

I wouldn't mind going for a big 160" AT screen, but I don't want to drop $20k on a Runco pj. Will a RS-55 have enough juice to power that?

My speakers are probably going to be Atlantic Technology 8200e series. As for subs, I didn't make up mind yet between SVS Ultra-13s or Funky Waves.

As for the number of seating, I want to have at least 8 chairs.

HT Setup

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page