MA slim 5 20" or 26" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello all! I am going to be ordering a Slim 5-29 rack very soon. I see they have both the 20 and 26" depth racks. My deepest component is 17 3/4" so I am thinking the 20" model would do just fine. Any reason I would need to go to the 26" model. I am very new to rack systems so just wanting to make sure I get the correct one! Thanks! Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
26" is the safer/better choice. Better cooling, more room for cabling, and for future proofing.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Where will it be located? Do you have lots of space? If so, go with the deeper one. Many amplifiers are 19" deep which when you add the cable exits can be a problem for 20" racks.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the replies! The rack will be going inwall with plenty of space on the back end. Pardon my ignorance but how would the 26" be better on the cooling aspect? They both will be open on the backside. Also, if I end up with a 19" deep amp in the future (which will happen at some time) cant I just do 4" off set lacing bars for cable management. Again, I am new so slap me if I am way off base!

PS: The 20" is $75 or more cheaper so that is why I would like to get it to work. If it isnt the right choice, I am happy to pay more. Thanks!
post #5 of 15 Old 03-05-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have lots of space behind the rack, then you're fine. There's lots of ways to install a Slim5 and often the backside is closed off, either by a MA door, or it's built into a closet. Active cooling is via a tower effect, with fan/fans up top exhausting heat.

So you're making no attempt at any sound isolation?
post #6 of 15 Old 03-05-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

The MA is going into an inwall space which will be 8-10 feet from the listening area. Currently I only have on amp with a fan. The whole setup is very quiet.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 340
If you're not planning on putting a rear door on, no benefit to the 26" depth except, well, the depth.

I've got an MA 20"-deep rack in-wall, and the amp shelf protrudes an 1" beyond.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #8 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

You use the term "currently". Does that imply future electronic upgrades? I have the 20" deep Slim5 also and already two upgrades are pushing the rack depth.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
20" is usually fine for electronics components. It is not usually fine for computer components. If you are planning on putting in a rackmount server (HTPC) or storage array, best to know what cases you'll be using before deciding on 20" or 26". Also, the 20" MA rack I have(AX-SXR) is more like 19.5" useable. I had to slightly modify 20" rails for my disk array. I do have about a 5" space available behind my rack. I'm glad I do too for ventilation. Those components get quite hot. I have a cooler guys Fan Controller at the top of my rack (http://www.coolerguys.com/840556091677.html) which is hooked to a 12V relay that runs a Fantech inline duct fan (located in unfinished storage area) that exhausts all the heat. Works great but only wished the coolerguys 1U faceplate came in the same brushed aluminum as the MA faceplates.

If you are interested a HTPC or storage array, here are the ones I use in a 20" rack.

Silverstone Black Aluminum HTPC case. Loos great because it matches the brushed black aluminum of the MA faceplates.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163117

Norco 12 Bay hot swappable Disk Array. Shallow depth, holds 12 drives (36TB) and is only 2U.
http://www.norcotek.com/item_detail....0db23094bf2ba7
post #10 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies! I went with the 26" model. I had plenty of room in my unfinished area so I couldn't think of any real negatives for going with the deeper rack. This will give me the most room should I ever upgrade to components that are deeper. Thank you for the advice!
post #11 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Jackals View Post

20" is usually fine for electronics components. It is not usually fine for computer components. If you are planning on putting in a rackmount server (HTPC) or storage array, best to know what cases you'll be using before deciding on 20" or 26". Also, the 20" MA rack I have(AX-SXR) is more like 19.5" useable. I had to slightly modify 20" rails for my disk array. I do have about a 5" space available behind my rack. I'm glad I do too for ventilation. Those components get quite hot. I have a cooler guys Fan Controller at the top of my rack (http://www.coolerguys.com/840556091677.html) which is hooked to a 12V relay that runs a Fantech inline duct fan (located in unfinished storage area) that exhausts all the heat. Works great but only wished the coolerguys 1U faceplate came in the same brushed aluminum as the MA faceplates.

If you are interested a HTPC or storage array, here are the ones I use in a 20" rack.

Silverstone Black Aluminum HTPC case. Loos great because it matches the brushed black aluminum of the MA faceplates.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163117

Norco 12 Bay hot swappable Disk Array. Shallow depth, holds 12 drives (36TB) and is only 2U.
http://www.norcotek.com/item_detail....0db23094bf2ba7

I have the Silverstone case in a MA Slim5 20" and wish I had the additional depth. I think you made a good choice.

As a side note, I did buy the rack mount kit for the htpc case which saved a little space on the backside of the rack.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonp View Post

I have the Silverstone case in a MA Slim5 20" and wish I had the additional depth. I think you made a good choice.

As a side note, I did buy the rack mount kit for the htpc case which saved a little space on the backside of the rack.

I bought the rackmount ears as well. I didn't like the look of the handles so I wound up just putting it on a shelf.

This is an old pic but you get the idea.

post #13 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The extra depth is also good for mounting odd shaped stuff, e.g. router, modem. And, patch panels can be mounted on rear rails (if there is room). The patch panels don't need to be in the front of the rack, and can be hidden away in back.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #14 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

I agree. Reverse mount what you don't need to see. (Even with a 20" rack)

I have my Cisco 16 port switch reverse mounted.
http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SR2016T-.../dp/B003AVN1PM

I also have a Middle Atlantc PD-2015R-HH-NS power strip reverse mounted
http://www.middleatlantic.com/power/multimount.htm

I'm thinking about reverse mounting my Control4 HC300 to reclaim 2u in my rack. That or replace it with the new HC800 which only takes up 1u.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-09-2012, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Got my 26" rack in today! I got it from smarthome.com for $271.11 shipped! This was the cheapest by at least $30 than any other place I looked. It was drop shipped directly from MA. I just wanted to post so others looking at this rack know what deals are out there. Thanks!

PS: I used a coupon code for 5% off.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page