General thoughts & suggestions for a $50-$75k theater build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm turning a 16x16x9 room into a home theater. I know it isn't ideal from a size standpoint, but that's what I'm working with. I should let people know that I've never really dealt with home theater equipment; The closest thing I've done is a 50" TV with a 5.1 system and ~$500 receiver... so this will be a pretty big step up all-around. I will be paying professional(s) to do all the installation and mounting, but I just wanted to get some opinions on some of the design ideas I've been floating in my head before I begin talking with people who will sell me and install the equipment and furniture.

The total budget for this room which is already built, but currently completely empty, is in the $75k range, so I want to make sure I'm spending a reasonable amount of money on various parts of the room. I know that if I was budgeting $5k, spending $2k on a receiver would be very wasteful, and I just want to make sure I don't make a mistake like that on a larger scale, so if there are "better" places to put my money, please let me know.

I would like two rows of seating. I think 4 seats on the front and then 5-6 seats on the back row. I will be hiring someone to build a couple steps to give me the desired 2nd row stadium seating effect. I'd like the first row to be able to recline if desired, but because of space limitations, realize that might not be possible. Also because of space limitations, I am open to having the 2nd row of seating on the back wall of the theater. I think I can get a row of 4 seats and a row of 6 seats for a total of around $8k shipped and white glove delivered. I haven't done a whole lot of research on this yet. I just started browsing around stargatecinema.com to get a ballpark on prices and options.

I'm looking at an Epson 6010 projector (~$3k), and I'd like to project it on a screen in the 100"-120" range. I am not a DIY guy and don't mind spending a decent bit of money (~$2k? $3k?) on a nice screen that will let me do 3D in stunning beauty.

I am leaning towards a 7.1 or 7.2 system, with about a $10k budget on speakers/subwoofers. The L/C/R would would probably be about $4k total (looking at something like the new Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers or comparable) and the subwoofers would probably be $2-$3k with the rest of the money for the 4 surrounds, wiring, etc.

To drive the system, I am looking at one of the higher end Denon or Onkyo AVR's in the $2k-$3k range. I will also probably build a new HTPC with lots of storage to connect to the system at a cost of around $3k-$5k. I am also budgeting $3k for videogames for the kids (and me too I suppose, heh heh...)

There is also a small room adjacent to the rear side of the theater that is 6 feet by 10 feet. I feel like I can get neatly organize all the equipment there, however, the primary use for that room is I want to install a wetbar. Perhaps a minifridge, some cabinetry, a fountain coke machine, a popcorn machine, things of that sort. I feel like a ~$10k budget devoted to all of that should be able to get all of that done.

I think that all comes in pretty well under cost:
Seating - 8k
Projector/Screen - 6k
Speakers/Subs - 10k
Receiver - 3k
HTPC - 5k
Videogames, other accessories - 3k
Adjacent wetbar - 10k
Construction costs - ???
Installation/wiring costs - ???
Lighting - ???
Other stuff - ???

...comes out to about $45k before I add these other things.

but I've built in some flex room because I know I will want to add some professional lighting (a few thousand dollars), probably have a starry night mural professionally painted on the ceiling ($3k), have some framed movie posters, walkway lighting, the cost of the construction of the steps for the back of the theater, all of the installation, and so on and so forth.

Are there other components which I should definitely look at? I'd like to futureproof my system... or at least do the best job that I can in that regard; I know no system is truly futureproof... but I'd like to stick to all 2011/2012 technologies like the latest HDMI, new receiver/projector, etc... Also link me to any threads that may aren't stickied, or direct me to other forums on the avs network which may give me some good input. The "what I wish I did differently" thread has given me a lot of ideas!

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Steve, sounds like an exciting space you have envisioned. Even if you don't have a completed plan yet, posting a sketch (to scale) will help everyone get on the same page.

My first thoughts are that research and time on the forums can save you big time on the budget numbers you threw out.

For instance, from what I understand, an HTPC can be built for under $1k. You can go separates (Emotiva, Integra, etc.) for about $2k. Not much need for 7.1 in your size room, that saves speakers and amps. $3k projector and a $500 DIY screen suit many people. Video games...$300 on a platform and 20 games at $50 is $1300. Speakers and subs are so subjective, but I recommend you research high efficiency varieties (JTR, Seaton, JBL, Klipsch, eD, DIY options) For instance, 3 Triple12's and 2 slant 8's are less than $6k and considered by many to be a no compromise option for HT use. Leaves $4k for subs. In the DIY world, that could get you your hearts desire. It could also get you a pair of Seaton Submersives (again, highly regarded).

Open up the doors to the used market and you can blow your budget right out the water!

Your options are all very exciting. Take the time to investigate here on the forums and you will most surely end up going a different direction than you first thought.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #3 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

I'm turning a 16x16x9 room into a home theater. I know it isn't ideal from a size standpoint, but that's what I'm working with. I should let people know that I've never really dealt with home theater equipment; The closest thing I've done is a 50" TV with a 5.1 system and ~$500 receiver... so this will be a pretty big step up all-around. I will be paying professional(s) to do all the installation and mounting, but I just wanted to get some opinions on some of the design ideas I've been floating in my head before I begin talking with people who will sell me and install the equipment and furniture.

The total budget for this room which is already built, but currently completely empty, is in the $75k range, so I want to make sure I'm spending a reasonable amount of money on various parts of the room. I know that if I was budgeting $5k, spending $2k on a receiver would be very wasteful, and I just want to make sure I make a mistake like that on a larger scale, so if there are "better" places to put my money, please let me know.

I would like two rows of seating. I think 4 seats on the front and then 5-6 seats on the back row. I will be hiring someone to build a couple steps to give me the desired 2nd row stadium seating effect. I'd like the first row to be able to recline if desired, but because of space limitations, realize that might not be possible. Also because of space limitations, I am open to having the 2nd row of seating on the back wall of the theater. I think I can get a row of 4 seats and a row of 6 seats for a total of around $8k shipped and white glove delivered. I haven't done a whole lot of research on this yet. I just started browsing around stargatecinema.com to get a ballpark on prices and options.

I'm looking at an Epson 6010 projector (~$3k), and I'd like to project it on a screen in the 100"-120" range. I am not a DIY guy and don't mind spending a decent bit of money (~$2k? $3k?) on a nice screen that will let me do 3D in stunning beauty.

I am leaning towards a 7.1 or 7.2 system, with about a $10k budget on speakers/subwoofers. The L/C/R would would probably be about $4k total (looking at something like the new Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers or comparable) and the subwoofers would probably be $2-$3k with the rest of the money for the 4 surrounds, wiring, etc.

To drive the system, I am looking at one of the higher end Denon or Onkyo AVR's in the $2k-$3k range. I will also probably build a new HTPC with lots of storage to connect to the system at a cost of around $3k-$5k. I am also budgeting $3k for videogames for the kids (and me too I suppose, heh heh...)

There is also a small room adjacent to the rear side of the theater that is 6 feet by 10 feet. I feel like I can get neatly organize all the equipment there, however, the primary use for that room is I want to install a wetbar. Perhaps a minifridge, some cabinetry, a fountain coke machine, a popcorn machine, things of that sort. I feel like a ~$10k budget devoted to all of that should be able to get all of that done.

I think that all comes in pretty well under cost:
Seating - 8k
Projector/Screen - 6k
Speakers/Subs - 10k
Receiver - 3k
HTPC - 5k
Videogames, other accessories - 3k
Adjacent wetbar - 10k
Construction costs - ???
Installation/wiring costs - ???
Lighting - ???
Other stuff - ???

...comes out to about $45k before I add these other things.

but I've built in some flex room because I know I will want to add some professional lighting (a few thousand dollars), probably have a starry night mural professionally painted on the ceiling ($3k), have some framed movie posters, walkway lighting, the cost of the construction of the steps for the back of the theater, all of the installation, and so on and so forth.

Are there other components which I should definitely look at? I'd like to futureproof my system... or at least do the best job that I can in that regard; I know no system is truly futureproof... but I'd like to stick to all 2011/2012 technologies like the latest HDMI, new receiver/projector, etc... Also link me to any threads that may aren't stickied, or direct me to other forums on the avs network which may give me some good input. The "what I wish I did differently" thread has given me a lot of ideas!

Thanks in advance.

Well you can build to whatever budget you want by selecting less or more expensive equipment.

For furture proofing, just make sure you run as much conduit as you can so you can swap and add wires without tearing down all your walls.

One item I didn't see you mention is sound proofing. Not sure if this is something that interests you but you could manipulate your room size in addition to help your sound system sound better? Maybe end up with a room that is 15 x 13.5 x 8.5 that you now blast as loud as you want without annoying anyone.

Also didn't see a budget for room corrrection like absorers, diffusers, etc. Dennis Erskine seems to be the popular choice on this forum. I don't have his web site handy but he does some great work.

Not sure if you're doing an acoustically transparent screen but you may want to look into that.

Due to the lack of depth in your room, I think you're only option is a non relining 2nd row and a reclining front row. For a reclined 2nd row you'll need at a minimum 75" deep riser. My plan is a 96" deep riser but that is because I will have about an 8" column behind the seats and my seats need about 4" behind them to recline and I also want some room in front of the seats so someone's feet are not laying on top of the front row viewer's head as well as leave some room to walk side to side while the seats are reclined.

Regarding the following
Seating - 8k (this will vary based on what you decide on your room)
Projector/Screen - 6k (this is a good ball park, I am a little higher with my JVC RS45 and Screen Excellence EN4K screen)
Speakers/Subs - 10k (I would set aside 2.5K for the sub, maybe 5K if you really want to wow and put the rest toward a good LCR and whatever the matching surrounds would be)
Receiver - 3k (I think you can find a receiver that MSRPs for 2K in the 1.5K range that will do fine. Maybe spend the other 1.5K on amps)
HTPC - 5k (I haven't looked into this much, but I think there are some nice options for far less)
post #4 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Steve, sounds like an exciting space you have envisioned. Even if you don't have a completed plan yet, posting a sketch (to scale) will help everyone get on the same page.

My first thoughts are that research and time on the forums can save you big time on the budget numbers you threw out.

For instance, from what I understand, an HTPC can be built for under $1k. You can go separates (Emotiva, Integra, etc.) for about $2k. Not much need for 7.1 in your size room, that saves speakers and amps. $3k projector and a $500 DIY screen suit many people. Video games...$300 on a platform and 20 games at $50 is $1300. Speakers and subs are so subjective, but I recommend you research high efficiency varieties (JTR, Seaton, JBL, Klipsch, eD, DIY options) For instance, 3 Triple12's and 2 slant 8's are less than $6k and considered by many to be a no compromise option for HT use. Leaves $4k for subs. In the DIY world, that could get you your hearts desire. It could also get you a pair of Seaton Submersives (again, highly regarded).

Open up the doors to the used market and you can blow your budget right out the water!

Your options are all very exciting. Take the time to investigate here on the forums and you will most surely end up going a different direction than you first thought.

I'll echo Tony123 with the Seaton Submersives. I listed 2.5K in the sub budget for one of them and if you want to go the extra mile get 2 of them but in your room I think you'll be fine with 1.

Also on speakers; remember these last a LONG time, so don't feel bad if you want to spend a bit extra. I set my original budget at 2.5K and then I listened to a set of Definitive Technology Supertowers and that was the end of that budget.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Thanks for the response.

Here is a brief little sketch of the room, which is 16x16. Sorry I didn't include any scale, but I think I did a pretty decent job approximating the size of the chairs, doorways, etc.

I know I probably way overbudgeted for some of the items, especially the HTPC and videogames as you mentioned. Although to be fair an HTPC that I build that will be connected through this setup would probably get a fair bit of use as a gaming computer too, so $3000 might not be far off for that.

I did a little research on the speakers you mentioned and must say I am very impressed by your recommendations.

The whole idea of separates is a little strange to me. I understand that it gives you more efficient power to your speakers, but I don't understand where all of your components plug in when you go that route? With a receiver, it's pretty simple, everything gets routed in... and then the receiver processes it and routes it out to the speakers (audio) and TV/projector(?) (video). Do you use separates in conjunction with a receiver to just reduce the load on the receiver?

Sound is somewhere I wouldn't mind spending some extra money if it were to really get me a true home theater experience. I priced out a 7.1 system using those Triple12's and Slanted 8's, and then a 3-4k subwoofer (top of the line from Hsu/SVS/Elemental Designs/etc) and then budget 2-3k for a receiver and then maybe a nice 1k separate to handle the fronts and I'd still be well within range of what I want to spend (especially when you consider I'm guessing I'm pretty high on things like the wetbar, HTPC, videogames, and maybe even the seating.

The only used gear I think I'd get is speakers and separates (receivers get updated too often). I feel like the technologies of the other components in the system change so much that I would be left behind... especially because one of the reasons I want to put this theater in is for viewing things in 3D and streaming music throughout my home over a network.

The one other thing I did want to reiterate though is that I'm probably a bit different than most people here on AVS. Whereas there's lots of DIY projects and tons and tons of research, I find it more rewarding to simply do enough research that I get what I want done, and then just go with something. I've always found that the more I research a product, the more likely I am to have buyer's remorse because I know so much about the competition, and the next step up. Also, I'm not particularly handy so I'd rather pay $1500 for a screen than spend $500 on a DIY project because quite frankly, I don't trust myself to do work anywhere near as good as a company that does it all day everyday. Same thing for subwoofers.

The more I think about it, the more separates make sense. Amps probably last a long, long time... and speakers last decades so those components probably won't need to be changed. But I could easily add a new receiver with all the new bells and whistles like the latest sound processors, the newest HDMI compatibility, network features, etc every few years for way, way cheaper than replacing a flagship receiver every few years.
post #6 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Re Larry M:

I should note that the room is already drywalled out. I did not build the home (actually, it is in a condo tower, but I am the only unit on my floor, and in fact, this is the upstairs portion and the floor below this is also part of my unit... so for a condo, this is as isolated as it gets. No neighbors to the side, no neighbors below).

From what I gather, it sounds like it may be worth my money to have someone knock out the drywall and be able to start from a completely blank slate and have nice flush speakers in the front (could also save me some room, plus look a lot more aesthetically speaking than having floorstanders).

As for acoustics and sound absorption and what not, I know that I will probably need to go that route. I see now that for a project of this size, it will probably be easier to just knock out the drywall and start with a clean slate. I had done very little research on acoustic treatments on a room, but from what I read, it seemed like a pretty good job could be done for a few thousand dollars.

PS... anyone know how much it costs someone to knock out some walls??
post #7 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I live in a townhouse as well. I am still soundproofing my room despite having an end unit with 3 poured concrete walls and a concrete floor. Also my neighbors don’t have a basement so I am really controlling the sound from bothering my wife in the 2 floors above the basement. If you’re open to knocking down the drywall I would seriously consider soundproofing as it won’t cost you too much extra if you keep it bare bones and do just an extra layer of drywall and green glue.

In your square room, I would really hire a professional for acoustics. This is Dennis’ web site http://www.erskine-group.com/about.php I am not using him for my build but many here do. The amount of money you’re spending on speakers could be wasted if your room is not set up properly.

If you want to hide you’re speakers, an acoustically transparent screen is your answer. You can get whatever disgusting looking speakers and subs you desire with the largest output and no one will see a thing. Also with an “AT” screen you can go bigger because you won’t have to worry about speakers being in front of the screen as they are placed behind the screen.

Knocking out drywall…I would never hire anyone for that’s as it is too much damn fun so I have no clue.

Lastly looking at your wet bar, I am guessing that is about 6 linear feet? I think you’ll get away with $5K easily if you’re able to do the plumbing. I quoted out a wet bar about the same size and if I recall correctly the base cabinets were about $2,500, upper cabinets about $1,000, and plumbing $1,200.
post #8 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
At the top of this forum is a thread titled "Pro Theater Layout Service" . For $600 you get the Dennis Erskine Group to plan your theater layout.

IMO That should be your first step.

post #9 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 534
What ever your builder provided in the way of air conditioning for this room you will need to triple (SWAG) if you want to keep nine people and a small space heater (projector) happy.

Unless you really plan on having more than 4 people quite often, My personal experience after having a home theater now for many years is the space is more for personal enjoyment rather than entertaining. I would focus on building a nice 4-5 seat theater with reclining style theater seats spaced well off the back row for good surround sound. Rotate the screen to the bottom wall, have the door come in behind the single row of seats.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I second the suggestion of using the Pro theater layout service. I bet it will cost less than the mistakes that you would probably make, going on your own. Also as Big said, cooling will be a major concern for a small room with a lot of seating. Depending on how hard it will be to fish wires down the walls and ceiling, you might need to pull some drywall. You also will need to decide if you want to go the Green glue and double drywall route for help with containment of sound from getting out and other noises from getting in. If I was in your situation, I certainly would do something along those lines. If we can help you, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #11 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just browsing the thread and opening my mind a bit got me to thinking... maybe I'm not limited by 16x16. If I'm willing to knock out some drywall, why not take it a step further and move the location of walls?

As it turns out, I think this would make a lot more sense:

Seems to me this would offer several advantages
- I would not have to enclose my balcony
- I could build a (larger) wetbar in a more accessible area; the plumbing work would be easier and cheaper as well given it would back up to a wall with a bathroom on it.
- I could expand the 16x16 footprint of the theater to something more acoustically conducive, as well as get a few extra feet of space in the room to make the viewing experience more pleasant.
- I could get a dedicated equipment room that could truthfully be as large as I needed it to be. The game room space is very large, so losing a 16x6 or 16x8 area of that would not be a big deal. I could add an extra 3-4 feet to the theater, and give me a nice large 4 or 5 foot wide by 16 foot long room to store equipment, and perhaps put in a wine refrigerator at the back of it! This seems more in tune with what people who build from scratch end up with (a room directly behind the screen with all their equipment).
- The HTPC/other equipment would be more centrally located in the home, making running cables to other zones if I desired quite a bit easier.

I suppose tearing down a wall and rebuilding two walls would add a decent bit to the cost of the theater, but given all the advantages it would offer, it seems to me like it would be well, well worth it.

And yes, I think I will definitely be looking into getting professional help in designing the layout of the room (and the entire floor to an extent) as I can see how limited my scope of thinking was. For all I know, there is room for even more flexibility. I'm excited already!
post #12 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

I would lose the front row and back row seat next to the side wall. Those seats are not going to be very good due to the surround speaker location. I would also steal a little more room and get the back row away from the back wall. That would be a big improvement for sound using a 7.1 system. I would look into using in-wall speakers and an AT screen. Plan for more than one sub and I would wire for several locations.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #13 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
10 people in a room that size is really pushing it. With a 75k budget it makes sense to shift more of that cost to the room and less to the equipment. If you wanted to leave the room size the same, I would agree with rotating the screen and entering the room behind a single row of seats. This would allow you to push the front row back slightly and increase the screen to something like 120-130 inches.
post #14 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 08:42 AM

First--good luck with your build. I'm in the middle of my second home theater and have a similar budget (new construction so it's hard to separate all the costs out). My advice, having done this twice now--put your money into the longest term items. Here is my order of importance...
a. Room construction--this includes soundproofing and sound absorption. Going with Dennis' service may be the single most effective way to do this.
b. Chairs--People don't swap these out often. I think it makes sense to invest in good ones that will last 10-20 years. Make sure to get power reclining chairs as you can lock in a good watching position for 2 hours. Manuals tend to lose that locking ability over time.
c. Speakers--Although new speakers do come out, most people hold on to theirs for, again, a good 10-15 years if they buy decent stuff to begin with.
d. Screen--Once again, people don't seem to change this often. You'll want to consider acoustically transparent which is a screen you can place the speakers directly behind. Better, more natural sound and it helps with the room positioning as well.
The electronics--receiver-projector, blu-ray player. These are all important, but they tend to change much more quickly. I would get mid-level stuff at the most for these as you may feel urges to change things out within a few years. Someone mentioned conduit to the projector--make sure it is really good sized (those HDMI cords take a lot of space to fit through).
Last--take your time--read through the forums and learn from other's successes and more importantly--failures.
Good luck
post #15 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheron1701 View Post

First--good luck with your build. I'm in the middle of my second home theater and have a similar budget (new construction so it's hard to separate all the costs out). My advice, having done this twice now--put your money into the longest term items. Here is my order of importance...
a. Room construction--this includes soundproofing and sound absorption. Going with Dennis' service may be the single most effective way to do this.
b. Chairs--People don't swap these out often. I think it makes sense to invest in good ones that will last 10-20 years. Make sure to get power reclining chairs as you can lock in a good watching position for 2 hours. Manuals tend to lose that locking ability over time.
c. Speakers--Although new speakers do come out, most people hold on to theirs for, again, a good 10-15 years if they buy decent stuff to begin with.
d. Screen--Once again, people don't seem to change this often. You'll want to consider acoustically transparent which is a screen you can place the speakers directly behind. Better, more natural sound and it helps with the room positioning as well.
The electronics--receiver-projector, blu-ray player. These are all important, but they tend to change much more quickly. I would get mid-level stuff at the most for these as you may feel urges to change things out within a few years. Someone mentioned conduit to the projector--make sure it is really good sized (those HDMI cords take a lot of space to fit through).
Last--take your time--read through the forums and learn from other's successes and more importantly--failures.
Good luck

Good points. When looking at equipment, take manufacturers specs with a grain of salt. Better to read test reviews. Now for speakers, better to listen if you can, but for 100% HT use you want speakers with good sensitivity. That way you get the dynamics that good HT requires.

post #16 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheron1701 View Post

The electronics--receiver-projector, blu-ray player. These are all important, but they tend to change much more quickly. I would get mid-level stuff at the most for these as you may feel urges to change things out within a few years.

Cheron makes all good points. My theater was also in that budget range. The cost of opening up the drywall and moving a wall is probably not huge considering the benefits. Just be aware that moving walls will also mean flooring work - but you can move / re-use carpet, for example.

Quote:

Someone mentioned conduit to the projector--make sure it is really good sized (those HDMI cords take a lot of space to fit through).

Flex conduit installed for our purposes should always be EMPTY, with the 'known' cables run in parallel. The conduit is for future cables.

Quote:

+1. In these thing time = money. Take more time, save money by avoiding mistakes and shopping wisely. :-)

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #17 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Spend more on the projector if you can!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #18 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
When I first started reading the thread my initial thought was "Too bad its only 16 feet deep, very tough to get a big screen and two rows in there". If you have the opportunity to increase the length of the room by 3-4 feet that is well worth doing.

Hiring someone to knock out drywall and non-load-bearing walls (as these would be) is very cheap - probably less than $1000.

For a $75K budget I would definitely retain the services of an expert to help design the space for you. Sounds like you are leaning that way.
post #19 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 12:38 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

Hiring someone to knock out drywall and non-load-bearing walls (as these would be) is very cheap - probably less than $1000.

I'd knock down a wall for $999, I love demolition. Kind of like opening a gift, what is in this box?
post #20 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I'd knock down a wall for $999, I love demolition. Kind of like opening a gift, what is in this box?

I'd knock it down for $1. It's great therapy. Cleanup, though, would be an additional $998... And that's not an optional service.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #21 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If you are unsure as to what your final space dimensions would be, I highly recommend you consider a design consultant before you do anything. Ask around on various sites and do some internet digging to narrow your choices. Can't stress this point enough.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #22 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Forget gear for the time being - just hire Dennis/Shawn (above) and get the room right from the outset.

If it were me, I'd spin the room 180 with the door at the back, rack and projector in the closet there

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #23 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

....I think I will definitely be looking into getting professional help in designing the layout of the room (and the entire floor to an extent)....

What is the current state of the space? Are you putting a theater into a basically finished area or is the whole thing going to be built out at once?

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #24 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

What is the current state of the space? Are you putting a theater into a basically finished area or is the whole thing going to be built out at once?

It's a finished space, but it looks like I will hire some extra help to figure out how to design it. I'll probably be tearing down and rebuilding some walls to get an extra several feet in the room and to give myself a dedicated equipment room.
post #25 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I don't know if anyone has recommended the AVS pro design service.

I've heard good things about it.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #26 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I'd knock it down for $1. It's great therapy. Cleanup, though, would be an additional $998... And that's not an optional service.

Thats exactly right - making the mess is free, cleaning it up will cost you!

I had my main floor original bathroom and downstairs basement room (for HT) gutted for $1500 - the bathroom walls were tiled with 2" concrete base set on diamond lathe, old school style! Best $1500 I ever spent
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page