Rope light Tray
We just made our own moulding using mdf ripped down to small strips. This would not work for everyone but the aesthetic I am going for is more modern and minimal. So I think clean lines are the way to go in this case. My rope light tray needs to be as tiny as possible due to low ceiling and a small soffit. A large tray would look wrong. So it is only a few inches in either dimension. Just enough to hide the rope light inside.
First we put down a nailor with enough room below it to put in the second piece so that it would end up flush with the bottom of the soffit. We used lots of wood glue and a finish nail gun. It really helps to have 2 people for this job so you can line everything up properly.
Then, the second "bottom" piece was put in flush at the bottom and the corners were put together at an angle to fit together nicely.
Finally, the third piece was placed. We also cut angles on all of the splices and it ended up looking pretty good although I need to do just a bit of sanding with a few of them.
Here is a side view showing several stages of construction.
I plan to hard wire my rope lights in. This is connected to an Insteon dimmer. I still have not purchased the rope light and I am torn between bright color changing LED's and incandescent lighting that I know will dim gradually just the way I want it to. If anyone can help me I am listening!
Finished. But, not a very good picture and does not do justice to what it looks like in the room. I need to get a different angle for one thing. I am actually very pleased with how it turned out. I will get better pics later. Still need to sand and prime a bit more.
The other project last week was texturing the bottom of the soffits. I was planning on putting fabric on them. It would have been cool but just a ton of work and I already have so much to do with the fabric frames and all the rest. It would have probably ended up cutting down more of my soffit height as well assuming I used shallow frames. It is already low enough. Anyway, after the texturing was done I put another coat of drywall primer on those areas and kept on trucking.
But, I ran into a little problem with my can lights after the texturing (and actually before then even). The area where the trim butts up against the soffit is not always even and there are tiny gaps. Not to mention some of them are noticeably tilted. So my tentative plan is to get some 1/8'' black rubber or foam product that I can cut into strips and line the top of the can with it. That should fill the tiny gaps and allow me to put them straight. I hope no one will notice. Find out soon.