AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Wow...... It's been a long time!

Love your front stage! Coming along and am looking forward too how it all turns out.

BTW, always wondered why not more people use fabric track? Fast and easy.........

Heck, my wife was in charge of fabric and did a great job. Allowed me more time to complete rest of room.

Is it significantly more cost effective to build your own frames? Just curious.

Yeah, I have not updated my thread in a long time. I have been busy though! Stay tuned for some more pics.

I called fabric mate and got a quote from them but I completely forgot what it was. I do remember that it was more than I could pay at the time. If you look at the number of panels I have it would have been an incredible amount of track. It is apparently very user friendly and makes the work go quickly. The cost to build my own frames was 2-3 sheets of plywood and a box of staples.

Thanks for the compliments on the front stage. I just noticed that the pics are not actually very good. I will be sure to post some more soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 613 Old 10-27-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitChin2 View Post

I have 3 of the mini-split units in my house (Loft area that was difficult to duct to, garage/shop and for the dedicated theater room - love them.  All are 1 ton units and this keeps my room cool (have not yet used for heating) and I can't hear it - at 3' away it is quieter than my Epson 5030's fan.

I was actually going to make a post about this so here is a perfect opportunity to bring it up again. Now that the weather has turned colder and our heater is engaged the temperature in the room has gone up considerably. I have 2 6in ducts supplying hot air to the room and even without a bunch of people in the room I already feel like I am going to have a problem. REALLY bummed about this but I saw it coming.

Here are my options as I see them.

1. Zoning. New unit. Whatever else......it does not really matter bc I don't have the cash.

2. Mini split. Ductless? I would like to know what others have paid and if I can do it myself. Brands? I don't have the budget for this either but it might be something that can be done next year. Not sure what I would do for this year........

3. Automatic Dampers. I have inline electronic dampers installed on my 2 supplies. I thought about hooking them up so that they would close during the heating cycle so that my theater is not being supplied with hot air. Then they would open after the heating cycle is done and I would have my fan on continuously so that the theater is still being supplied with fresh air. It would be amazing if this did the trick but I am not holding my breath. It is worth a shot since it is free. Does anyone know how to hook this up? I was going to try to attach it to the HW? on my unit controller.

4. Running a supply from the outside directly into the theater. I could cut a 6in hole in my outside wall and tie it in to one of the supplies going to the theater. I would use a Y splitter with dampers on each leg so I could still get cold air in the summer from the hvac system. I could also install an inline fan to move air into the theater. I have no idea if this is a good idea or not. It seems like it is pretty cheap though. Just the inline fan and the Y splitter and some flex duct. Maybe a slotted cover to put on the outside. Cutting a hole in my wall makes me cringe but probably no good reason to be afraid............is there?

Maybe I will be happily surprised after getting 5-6 people in the room for 2 hours but at this point I am basically planning on needing to do something to cool the room in the winter.
post #393 of 613 Old 10-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Min split is the way to go if you are doing a new system. If you already have existing ducts that don't need to be replaced and your compressor is also in good shape then stick with that.

Zoning will work wonders but it will drive the cost up. You should look at the cost of that vs split ductless system.

Split ductless is virtually silent and it is very efficient, saving you a ton on electricity. It runs on DC so it is more efficient than even a seer 20 on vfd.
post #394 of 613 Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

3. Automatic Dampers. I have inline electronic dampers installed on my 2 supplies. I thought about hooking them up so that they would close during the heating cycle so that my theater is not being supplied with hot air. Then they would open after the heating cycle is done and I would have my fan on continuously so that the theater is still being supplied with fresh air. It would be amazing if this did the trick but I am not holding my breath. It is worth a shot since it is free. Does anyone know how to hook this up? I was going to try to attach it to the HW? on my unit controller.

My vote is to make what you have work. It shouldn't be too hard to wire up the dampers so that they close when the heat turns on. Here's a thread you might want to look at with a couple of schematics for different options on wiring up the dampers to a thermostat.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #395 of 613 Old 10-29-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I'd hire a professional to install #3 on the supplies and perhaps even the return as near the HVAC system as they can. You may have to swap thermostats and/or a logic board on the main unit to make things work to deal with the "IF THEN ELSE" programming and status state feedback to make it work as expected, closing only during heating cycles. It may even come to a point where the damper doesn't close off the supply, but redirect it to another supply output somewhere in the basement. Believe me, it's worth the extra bucks for competent professional assistance vs. DIY.
post #396 of 613 Old 10-29-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
A heads up.......

This morning we had sub freezing temperatures in our area.........first time the heating system has been engaged full bore. As I got up this morning, I heard a whining sound which perked my attention.

It sound like it was coming from my theater. So I went in room closed the sealed door and the whine was very noticeable! As I searched in room looking at supply and return, the sound was not coming from those areas.

Upon further examination.....opening the sealed door, I felt a HUGE rush of air coming from the door. Closing the door was more difficult than usual but finally found the whinning noise culprit!

It was rushing air coming from the Zero seals!

Well I had cooling in theater with fan on......evidently, the return is pulling air while the supply is closed off creating a negative pressure in room. Talk about shock! Switched thermostat over to heating.......situation remedied! No sound ie. whinning from room....

Be careful how you set up dampers........

I have a call into HVAC contractors with concerns. The 4 zone Harmony system shouldn't act this way.....
post #397 of 613 Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks to all for the replies and ideas.

DotJun, the mini split looks good. Just need the funds.

J_P_A, I am going to try it. It is nearly my only option with the budget spent anyway.

Tim, I believe you but I just can't pay anyone to do it right now. I have a service contract for my new hvac system and the last time there was a guy out here I picked his brain about how to hook this thing up and he drew me a diagram so I am going to give it a shot and see if he was right.

doublewing, I hope you get things sorted. I think they should take care of you.

Meanwhile, I have been painting, painting, and painting.

I have also been working on the rest of the basement which is 99% done. There are 3 rooms including kids play area, bonus room, and bathroom. Pics to follow soon.
post #398 of 613 Old 10-30-2013, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks to all for the replies and ideas.

DotJun, the mini split looks good. Just need the funds.

J_P_A, I am going to try it. It is nearly my only option with the budget spent anyway.

Tim, I believe you but I just can't pay anyone to do it right now. I have a service contract for my new hvac system and the last time there was a guy out here I picked his brain about how to hook this thing up and he drew me a diagram so I am going to give it a shot and see if he was right.

doublewing, I hope you get things sorted. I think they should take care of you.

Meanwhile, I have been painting, painting, and painting.

I have also been working on the rest of the basement which is 99% done. There are 3 rooms including kids play area, bonus room, and bathroom. Pics to follow soon.
You'll love the simplicity of the mini split and the cost savings too! There's a reason the rest of the world is switching over to this system over the conventional central air system. Cost and efficiency, it has both. Oh, as far as manufacturers go, I prefer trane, but I deal with them daily at work so I might be biased. 😊
post #399 of 613 Old 11-02-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What kind of paint should I use for my middle Atlantic wrk-37-27lrd?

It is slightly textured. Not really truck bed liner textured though. It is not the smooth anodized look either.

I was planning to use some type of spray paint that adheres to metal.
post #400 of 613 Old 11-02-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What kind of paint should I use for my middle Atlantic wrk-37-27lrd?

It is slightly textured. Not really truck bed liner textured though. It is not the smooth anodized look either.

I was planning to use some type of spray paint that adheres to metal.

Middle Atlantic WRINKLE textured touch-up paint: http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/racks/accessories/md-wrinkle.html?key=A27&pk_kwd=MD-WRINKLE&gclid=CM_QhMejxroCFYqk4AodJSUAxA
post #401 of 613 Old 11-06-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pics of Non theater progress.

I have been busy lately with the rest of the basement. This includes a kids play room, a bonus room, and a bathroom. I patched the drywall in the lower part of the walls all around and then ripped mdf to use as a baseboard for the kids room and bonus room. Then put a little piece of moulding on top. The bathroom was done with traditional wood trim. Then I had to replace some of the crown in the kids play room which was a total nightmare to figure out. I finally got the hang of it just as I finished up.

Carpet was put in and I painted EVERYTHING! Walls, ceiling, baseboard, crown, doors, door trim, shelves, etc in the kids play room, bonus room, bathroom, and stairwell.

I don't know if anyone remembers what a disaster these rooms were after the flood but here is a reminder.

Here are some pics of the same space after all the recent work. It is 99% done.

post #402 of 613 Old 11-06-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Built in Bookshelves.

More non theater stuff. I decided to try my hand at some built in bookshelves. There was a space in the wall in between the stairwell and the bump out for my sub cubby in the theater and it seemed to beg for something like this. I have never attempted anything of the sort and I made a million mistakes. Hopefully I am the only one who notices them.

Built a simple base.

Installed.

Put up some wood around the perimeter of the space.

Then trimmed it out with 1x3's. I used the select pine stuff to make sure it was straight.

Cut the shelving down and placed the same trim facing on. Lots of painting too.

I used cheap adjustable shelving hardware.

Here is the finished product. Not too bad for my first try. My wife actually told me that my honey do list just got longer after taking a look!!!!!!

I promise I will deliver a few theater related pics next time. I have been sandbagging a bit.
post #403 of 613 Old 11-06-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm crying because you painted the pine rather than stain...........................

But then again, I love knots...................biggrin.gif

Absolutely love the kids mural! Sending a message about loving Jesus blesses your home more than we all can fathom! wink.gif
J_P_A likes this.
post #404 of 613 Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I did think about staining. I had never stained anything before so I decided to take the easy way out. Maybe next time. My wife now wants shelving next to our fireplace on the main floor so I will get another chance. There were some preexisting shelves down there that were painted so the ones I built now match them pretty well. That was another reason I painted.
post #405 of 613 Old 11-06-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I did think about staining. I had never stained anything before so I decided to take the easy way out. Maybe next time. My wife now wants shelving next to our fireplace on the main floor so I will get another chance. There were some preexisting shelves down there that were painted so the ones I built now match them pretty well. That was another reason I painted.

Staining is a breeze........nothing to be scared about. Gallon of Benzite, apply.....and let set for a couple hours and your fool proof. If your can borrow a lacquer sprayer/compressor you are good to go. Just my opinion........wood should be seen and not covered. smile.gif
post #406 of 613 Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fabric panels completed! Something like over 60 panels. I will have to count them again when I get a chance.

Here is a pic to hold folks over until I get things finished up and take some good pictures. Still need to put in the speakers and install sconces but you get the idea. The panels need to be cleaned up as well. I was planning to just use a cloth and water unless someone knows different.

In other news did I mention I have been painting.....a lot!
post #407 of 613 Old 11-06-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Carpet Installed with a few mediocre pictures.

I had the same carpet reinstalled that was down before the troubles. Not the first choice for a dedicated room but I think it will be fine since the stage is black and quite a bit of the floor will be covered in furniture anyhow. It really made the stage look dark after I put up the black sound treatments and had the black carpet placed.

I will take better pics in the next week or so. One of my next projects is to take all the panels down so I can place the sound treatments on the wall. Then clean up the panels before replacing them.

Currently working on doors and thresholds etc. Pics to follow soon.
post #408 of 613 Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Great job Grant! You'll be watching movies before you know it!
post #409 of 613 Old 11-07-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Looks fantastic Grant! Almost there, you should have quite the collection of material to enjoy once finish up. Its going to be sweet. cool.gif
post #410 of 613 Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 870
looking good Grant!

the picture of your boy with the hammer next to the porcelain toilet....

eek.gif

didn't you learn your lesson the last time your basement flooded?

tongue.gif

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #411 of 613 Old 11-08-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Luke as you know I have been withholding movies and tv shows for at least 2 years. I have only seen a few of the movies such as the hobbit and the avengers in this time period so like you said I have a lot of catching up to do. Game of thrones tops my tv list. And season 3 of walking dead is up there as well. Too many movies to list.

Archaea, your looking at my right hand man. Boy can he swing a hammer! He does a number on a diaper too......
post #412 of 613 Old 11-08-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Carpet Installed with a few mediocre pictures.

I had the same carpet reinstalled that was down before the troubles. Not the first choice for a dedicated room but I think it will be fine since the stage is black and quite a bit of the floor will be covered in furniture anyhow. It really made the stage look dark after I put up the black sound treatments and had the black carpet placed.

I will take better pics in the next week or so. One of my next projects is to take all the panels down so I can place the sound treatments on the wall. Then clean up the panels before replacing them.

Currently working on doors and thresholds etc. Pics to follow soon.

Love the front screen and steps..................................I'm envious! wink.gif
post #413 of 613 Old 11-09-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Looking great Grant, can't wait to see it in person!!

Loved the picture of your son with the hammer.

Wow, great job on the bookcase! I like the white paint myself.

Are you 100 percent on making sure the sump pump issue is fixed? I was over and saw how horrible that damage was the last time, that would be catastrophic if it happened again. Have you looked into flood insurance? I'm guessing if you don't have it that nothing will be covered if your basement does flood again?

I'm asking out of curiosity since knowing you I'm sure you have taken care of all of this already. smile.gif
post #414 of 613 Old 11-09-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Carp, yes it is taken care of. I put in a new and more powerful sump pump. I have put in a battery back up pump in case the power goes out as well. Honestly I am still a little nervous because anything can happen. So I am planning to put in yet another pump (that works off of water pressure) so I would have triple coverage. I also made sure that I have sump pump failure insurance. "Flood insurance" can't be purchased where we live.
post #415 of 613 Old 11-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Carp, yes it is taken care of. I put in a new and more powerful sump pump. I have put in a battery back up pump in case the power goes out as well. Honestly I am still a little nervous because anything can happen. So I am planning to put in yet another pump (that works off of water pressure) so I would have triple coverage. I also made sure that I have sump pump failure insurance. "Flood insurance" can't be purchased where we live.
Out of paranoia you could also exercise them once a month, or two 😊
post #416 of 613 Old 11-10-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh yes I do monthly checks on both pumps. After what happened I am totally paranoid!
post #417 of 613 Old 11-10-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Doors

1 3/4 solid core from HD but I forgot what it was called. It was cheap. I think the STC rating was around 33. I can look it up if anyone is interested.

Then added 3/4 mdf with GG between for a total width of 2 1/2.

Heavy duty hinges from hardwaresource.com which I previously detailed. I made the mistake of using mdf as my jamb instead of plywood so hopefully I don't have problems. It was necessary for us to add a ripped down 2x4 to the hinge side for more real estate for the extra wide throw hinge. The panels are 2 1/4 on the 2 1/2 door so that is 4 3/4 and since I wanted a flush hidden door look it had to clear the panels on the wall.

There are two of these doors. Each is a little bit different because they swing opposite directions.

So here is my question. We put the thresholds in yesterday and now I am wondering what color I should paint the jambs and what I should do with the thresholds. Should I paint them too or stain them? I don't have any other woodwork in the theater for the stain to match.

These 2 pics show the double door system in the entrance. The outer door and jamb is white to match the rest of the basement. The threshold is untouched as of now. The threshold that goes to the theater I don't want to be white because some of it can be seen from inside the theater. There is a small amount of reveal on the jamb in the theater that can be painted dark gray to match the theater. I am unsure what color I should paint the rest of the jamb. Should it be dark to match the theater? Should it be white to match the other threshold? And what about the threshold? Should I be concerned with the threshold always looking dirty if it is painted? I could stain it a dark color or just leave it the color it is now. And that brings me to the door. It has a fairly nice veneer on it. I could leave it or stain it or paint it. It could be white or dark gray. Too many variables and getting lost so please help!!!!!!!!!!!!! (theater side of the doors are fabric panels of course)

post #418 of 613 Old 11-11-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Opinions on how to paint/stain the doors, thresholds, and jambs detailed in my previous post? I am still befuddled.
post #419 of 613 Old 11-11-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Considering there is no wood trim inside the theater I would just paint the door and jamb white, whatever the rest of the house uses. I would stain the threshold with something that would compliment the carpet.
post #420 of 613 Old 11-11-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want the door to look monolithic, I'd sand the Hell out of those edges so everything is on the same plane and then fill any gaps / smooth with some Bondo (preferred) or a high-quality sandable wood fill. It may take a couple of coats with sanding in between to get everything as smooth as you want.

Then apply 1-2 coats with an oil-based tinted primer (because you are using MDF) and then paint with a foam roller and / or brush to get a smooth finish. Sand between all coats of primer and paint.

I'd paint the thresholds as well to get the same, consistent finish.

Two words of advice - sand the Bondo outside and wear a dust mask. For the oil-based primer just make sure you have really good ventilation so you're not seeing dragons and unicorns after a couple of hours.

As always, just my two cents.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Klipsch Rf83 Black Each 2 Way Reference Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Triad , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Sherbourn , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Harmony 900 Remote
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page