Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 582 Old 11-11-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Thanks for the advice guys.

I put the doors on the scale before we mounted them and they are 140-150 lbs so I don't want to take them down and haul them up and down the stairs yet again. There are two of them as well. Thankfully there is only one place that I plan to do bondo so hopefully it won't be too bad as far as dust goes.

One thing I was worried about was foot traffic over the painted threshold. Would it look perpetually dirty? I honestly have no idea. Would staining be a better option or is this of no concern. I would rather paint them to make my life easier.

So since the threshold can be seen from the theater it needs to be dark. If I want the jambs to match then they need to be dark as well. So should I also paint the door dark? I was thinking I would go with gray or slate. What say you?

And one more thing. Should I leave the hinges unpainted? They are gray right now and look fine if you ask me. Are there bad things that can happen to the hinge mechanism if they are painted?

If I don't paint the hinges then I think I would need to find some gray paint that closely matches the hinges to paint the silver screws. They stick out like a sore thumb.

Should I fill in the screw holes with wood filler or bondo or just leave the little hole and paint over?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 582 Old 11-11-2013, 04:37 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I assumed you would be painting in a coordinating dark color. There exists special high-traffic floor paint, but it's not worth the expense for just a couple of thresholds unless you can get a small tester size and can live with the slightly different hue from the door paint.

Staining will hold up better, but shoes will eventually wear the stain lighter in the traffic spots. If I were you, I'd paint everything the same color as proposed and then simply give the painted surface a couple coats of polyurethane (flat, matte or satin) after the paint has had a good solid week or so to dry. Sand the painted surface with 400 grit prior to poly to give it a "key" and allow the poly to hold better. You probably already know this stuff, but covering it just in case you didn't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #423 of 582 Old 11-11-2013, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tim, right now I would like to act like I did know all those things but that would be misleading. I think I will do just that. Thanks!

In other news I managed to find a great deal on a set of 3 used Berkline Tangier 100% brown leather seats with electric recline. I could not pass them up for $500 so I picked them up yesterday. They are sitting in the next room just waiting for the debut! I am still probing CL for my rear row which will probably be a cheap somewhat matching sofa for now.

post #424 of 582 Old 11-12-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Need suggestions for automatic door closer.

I don't have a good place to put a door stop on the entry door. So I considered an automatic door stop. It would be placed on the push side which is the non theater side.

If the price is too high then I will just have to find a way to do a traditional doorstop of some kind. It will need to be able to handle a 150lb door.

post #425 of 582 Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM

Are you talking something like this??? http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00164RI0O/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

post #426 of 582 Old 11-12-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes that is the sort of thing I am talking about. I just don't know the first thing about them. Is that a good one?

I only know my weight requirements and I have also heard that more adjustability comes in handy.

post #427 of 582 Old 11-12-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have had that door closer on the door into my theater for about 5 years, and it has worked fine. I got it at Home Depot. However, my door is nothing more than a standard solid-core, so it is not particularly heavy.

post #428 of 582 Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ended up buying this one today.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Universal-Hardware-Heavy-Duty-Aluminum-Commercial-Door-Closer-4031/202101680#.UoLjLhbsqkg
It looks like it can be mounted to the jamb on the push side of the door. I am going to do some measuring before I open the package. It can be returned if it does not work. It is very adjustable (1-6) and good for doors up to 188lbs.

post #429 of 582 Old 11-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The weight of the door should be irrelavant. It's not "lifting" the door only moving it along it's hinged range, which takes very little force. The seals around the door cause more resistance than the heft of the door, when closing it.

My Build Thread:
post #430 of 582 Old 11-17-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sound Treatments

Finished up with the sound treatments. I used Owens Corning Select Sound Acoustic Blanket on the front wall, Quest Perf Sorb on the first reflections, and Owens Corning 705 with and without facing on the rest of the room. What you see in the pictures is not necessarily what I will end up with. At some point I hope to run REW and change the location/number of treatments if needed.

post #431 of 582 Old 11-17-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Boy .........you are so close! Great job!!!

My Build Threads

post #432 of 582 Old 11-18-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks double. The to do list is getting very short. My goal is to have the construction done by the end of the month. Then it is all electronics from there. It will be close.

I will post some more pics this week.

post #433 of 582 Old 11-18-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Forgot to add that the impalers from ATS acoustics worked really well and were around .25-.50 cents each. I bought the knife from the insulation company and after all the talk around here about how difficult it is to cut compressed fiberglass and folks resorting to using electric knives and what not I was pleasantly surprised at how well this knife worked. It dulled for sure but works very well in a sawing motion. It went through A LOT of panels and well over a hundred cuts.

post #434 of 582 Old 11-18-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Sound Treatments

Finished up with the sound treatments. I used Owens Corning Select Sound Acoustic Blanket on the front wall, Quest Perf Sorb on the first reflections, and Owens Corning 705 with and without facing on the rest of the room. What you see in the pictures is not necessarily what I will end up with. At some point I hope to run REW and change the location/number of treatments if needed.

Can you indicate what you paid for the Quest Perf Sorber? I was shocked how costly those panels were for one inch fiberglass, layer of duct tape biggrin.gif.............and another layer of fiberglass with drill press holes!!! wink.gif

You can pm your cost if you like................just comparing to what I paid for! wink.gif

My Build Threads

post #435 of 582 Old 11-18-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Forgot to add that the impalers from ATS acoustics worked really well and were around .25-.50 cents each. I bought the knife from the insulation company and after all the talk around here about how difficult it is to cut compressed fiberglass and folks resorting to using electric knives and what not I was pleasantly surprised at how well this knife worked. It dulled for sure but works very well in a sawing motion. It went through A LOT of panels and well over a hundred cuts.

BTW, don't forget to paint those impalers black! Reflections...............reflections..................

My Build Threads

post #436 of 582 Old 11-18-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Doors are starting to look different after a coat of paint.

Threshold with a fresh coat of poly.

post #437 of 582 Old 11-18-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is the DIY seals I did for the door that goes to under the stairwell. It is already outside of the theater but I want to make sure to keep sound out of the stairwell for obvious reasons. I am going to do something similar to the outside door of my double door system to the theater.

The white rubber seals are the larger ones you can find at home depot.

I just cut an additional piece of door stop and attached it to the threshold. My first impressions are it seals up pretty darn good. We will see how well it keeps sound from trespassing.

post #438 of 582 Old 11-20-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A few updates. I installed the Triad surrounds. Found out that the trim around the speaker is incredibly narrow so some of the staples on the fabric panel show through. So I will have to paint them now. Thankfully, Triad sent some touch up paint with the speakers so I plan to use it for the staples in very small amounts.

Had most of the electrical done. One of my Insteon switches does not function and a replacement is being sent. Smarthome was great to work with in that regard. All of the sconces but one are installed. Rope lighting is in but still need to get some fasteners for it so it stays down in the tiny lighting soffit that we made for it. I am a bit let down by the brightness of the rope lights. It is 150' so it goes around 3 times yet is still too dim. I think I will go LED when funds allow. Will probably also go LED for the can lights. They get VERY hot and I already have problems with the room getting too hot when the heater is on.

Still doing lots of painting. Quite sick of it and more to go yet.

Here is an idea of what the lighting will look like now that the sconce is in place and the rope lights are lit up.

Put a coat of paint on the MA rack. It had too many scuffs to only do the touch up paint so I used the "hammered" spray paint and I am very pleased with how it turned out.

Goal is the end of the month to finish with construction. Will be hard to carve out time between my youngest turning one and carving turkeys.............and that little guy is a turkey himself being born on Thanksgiving day last year!

post #439 of 582 Old 11-22-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gear Preview.

No I am not installing equipment quite yet but here is a bit of a preview cuz pics of the latest gear is always fun.

Sherbourn PA-7-350

Outer box

Inner box

It's in there.

And it's heavy! Probably should have had someone help to prevent drops but I got it out safely. As for the the final unwrapping we will have to wait........

HEAVLY duty power cable. I think it requires a 20 amp breaker to guarantee all of the watts delivered.

Big box from Monoprice containing lots of rack shelving.

wilfredent likes this.

post #440 of 582 Old 11-22-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Next Gen is here!

Just picked up my day one XBox One! I am very excited to try out the "one box" features. Should be a great time. Lots of potentially useful stuff if you are into that sorta thing.

Oh yeah it plays games too. These should be good games to grace the big screen.

And just to prove I am an equal opportunity fanboy. I picked up my day one PS4 last week.

Waiting another month to open the PS4. The X1 will go in when the theater is done.......hopefully another week or two.

Now back to work. Spending every evening after the kids go to bed working down there until I can't stay up anymore. The wife cut me off from Crossfit until it is done!

post #441 of 582 Old 11-22-2013, 08:00 PM

Nice, Grant! I was debating between one or the other myself. If I may ask...why both? Are there certain games on one system that's not on the other?

post #442 of 582 Old 11-23-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You got it. There are always triple A high quality first party exclusive games for each system that anyone who enjoys games would have a great time playing.

For me the only justification I need to buy the XBox is Halo. Yes, there are other exclusives but that franchise is a big one.

In my opinion the best developer in the business is Naughty Dog. They only make games for PS. They did the Uncharted series and most recently the excellent The Last of Us which I have yet to play. Been holding off on tons of games to work on the theater.

If I am a fanboy at all then it would be for Nintendo. Just have so much fun playing their first party stuff. Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda.......nuff said. Looking forward to Mario 3D land on my Wii U soon.

I used to play quite a bit. Then I got married and went to grad school and had twins and then had another and then......well I built a home theater and now I am looking forward to enjoying it after the kids go to bed.

post #443 of 582 Old 11-23-2013, 07:51 AM

Liked: 13
I've always been a suckered for the Forza series which tied me to xbox, but, like you, since getting married and having our first, I've barely picked up a controller. I did see a PS4 demo in best buy yesterday that looked great though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
post #444 of 582 Old 11-23-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post

I've always been a suckered for the Forza series which tied me to xbox, but, like you, since getting married and having our first, I've barely picked up a controller. I did see a PS4 demo in best buy yesterday that looked great though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

I have never been a fan of driving sim games. I am more of an arcade racing game player. However, the Forza series for XBox and the GT series for PS seem like they are also made for car fans in general so I think being a car fan there is a lot of fun stuff for me to do. And it is just a cool way to show off the new console and theater.

Plus I really want to try a racing wheel. The wheel in front of a 9' wide screen has to do something for ya!

post #445 of 582 Old 11-23-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since the launch lineups for new consoles are typically fairly weak I am actually more excited about the multimedia features. Especially for the XBox One.

Check out this video. Looks pretty cool to me.

link to xbox one features

post #446 of 582 Old 11-23-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Grant, give the burnout series a shot if you like arcady, fun racing games.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #447 of 582 Old 11-24-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah I have played a little bit of one of the previous burnout games and it was fun. I am hoping there is a demo of the new Need for Speed: Rivals game. It looks fun and arcadey.

Does anyone know what kind of racing wheel would be good?

Another potential issue is the lag that I will have with my projector. I dearly hope that it is not a deal breaker.

post #448 of 582 Old 11-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

You got it. There are always triple A high quality first party exclusive games for each system that anyone who enjoys games would have a great time playing.

For me the only justification I need to buy the XBox is Halo. Yes, there are other exclusives but that franchise is a big one.

In my opinion the best developer in the business is Naughty Dog. They only make games for PS. They did the Uncharted series and most recently the excellent The Last of Us which I have yet to play. Been holding off on tons of games to work on the theater.

If I am a fanboy at all then it would be for Nintendo. Just have so much fun playing their first party stuff. Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda.......nuff said. Looking forward to Mario 3D land on my Wii U soon.

I used to play quite a bit. Then I got married and went to grad school and had twins and then had another and then......well I built a home theater and now I am looking forward to enjoying it after the kids go to bed.
Heh, naughty dog. I worked there when crash bandicoot first came out.
post #449 of 582 Old 11-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
Jedi, what'd be the chances of checking out your spot before its completed? I'm more interested in structural dos and donts.
post #450 of 582 Old 11-25-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

Heh, naughty dog. I worked there when crash bandicoot first came out.

That must have been an exciting time to be with that company while they were creating that classic game. Can you tell us what you did for them? Are you still in the industry?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Klipsch Rf83 Black Each 2 Way Reference Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Triad , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Sherbourn , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Harmony 900 Remote
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page