post #451 of 582 Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

Jedi, what'd be the chances of checking out your spot before its completed? I'm more interested in structural dos and donts.

Well you can check it out just about any evening. But most of the structural components are already hidden behind Sheetrock. More than happy to share my own experience with you. Will pm to set up a time.

Replied to you in the KC area thread and can't wait to hear your set up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 582 Old 11-26-2013, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

That must have been an exciting time to be with that company while they were creating that classic game. Can you tell us what you did for them? Are you still in the industry?
Game industry was very exciting back then. A lot less corporate. My memory isn't what it used to be but at that time I was doing design work. I left working in games shortly after the playstatiion 2 came out as I couldn't keep up with the crazy hours of being at a developer and have any time for my newborn son at the same time.
post #453 of 582 Old 11-26-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There is speculation that Crash Bandicoot will be making its way back and onto the PS4 after sony just bought it from activision.

In theater related news my electrical was completed last night. The sconces actually add quite a bit of light and they were sorely needed as the cans were only in the perimeter soffit and highly directional and very little light reached the middle of the room even with a total of 12 cans. And the incandescent rope lights don't put out much light even though I went around the room 3 times with the 150' of rope.

Been spending way too much time working on my slide out media cabinet. What a pain in the bum. Way too much trouble. Should have done something more simple. KISS method is usually best.
post #454 of 582 Old 12-02-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am looking for suitable LED MR16 bulbs with a 5.3 base to use in my can lights. Those halogen lights just heat up the room way too fast. I want them to be dimmed with my Insteon switch. I know that Insteon recommends Sylvania but they are pricey at $20-25 ea. I need to replace a minimum of 9 bulbs so that gets expensive.

From what I understand there is a 25 watt minimum load requirement on the 2477D switch. Someone correct me please. I have 2 zones of can lights. My 3 stage wash lights are on one zone but they won't be on much and I don't know how to get to the minimum load with only 3 lights so I will probably just stick with halogen The other zone consists of 9 can lights on a 2477D switch that I would want to replace and would probably be looking at something with a 50 watt equivalency.

So does anyone have recommendations that would dim nicely with Insteon?
post #455 of 582 Old 12-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am looking for suitable LED MR16 bulbs with a 5.3 base to use in my can lights. Those halogen lights just heat up the room way too fast. I want them to be dimmed with my Insteon switch. I know that Insteon recommends Sylvania but they are pricey at $20-25 ea. I need to replace a minimum of 9 bulbs so that gets expensive.

From what I understand there is a 25 watt minimum load requirement on the 2477D switch. Someone correct me please. I have 2 zones of can lights. My 3 stage wash lights are on one zone but they won't be on much and I don't know how to get to the minimum load with only 3 lights so I will probably just stick with halogen The other zone consists of 9 can lights on a 2477D switch that I would want to replace and would probably be looking at something with a 50 watt equivalency.

So does anyone have recommendations that would dim nicely with Insteon?
I myself use these from Home Depot phillips 17watt led

Of the over two dozen I've tried these had the best color and lumens.
post #456 of 582 Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Dot, can you post the link again? It did not come through right.
post #457 of 582 Old 12-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey Dot, can you post the link again? It did not come through right.
That was wierd. Anyway here it is. It is sold exclusively at Home Depot. Just get it and try it out before judging cause Home Depot has a great return policy if you don't like it. Honestly I've tried dozens of different bulbs but I have never been happy with the spread pattern, color and brightness until I ran into these. Let me know what you think.

http://www.usa.philips.com/c/led-light-bulbs/led-17w-75w-medium-base-e26-soft-white-dimmable-046677418403/prd/en/

On the plus side, you get mucho WAF due to it complimenting skin tones and makeup vs the harsh 5000k+ bulbs that your normal led are.
post #458 of 582 Old 12-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks for having me over Grant, your room is really coming a long! Seems time for some new picture uploads for everyone else to see. Well, thats if you ever get some free time. I can't wait to hear how it sounds once you have it all finished.
post #459 of 582 Old 12-06-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Big thank you to stitch for helping out the other day. We moved a couch and chair into the room and had to remove 4 doors to get it done. One of those doors was the 150 pounder to the theater and it was a bear to handle and reattach. The couch was well over 300 lbs just going by how much easier it was to move the 200 pound orbit shifter recently. The couch is a Natuzzi and very solidly made with dual recliners. I had. I idea what I was in for when I went to pick it up on craigslist. The leather is pretty well scratched so I picked it up for cheap. It has a matching chair as well so. Is my rear row can seat 4.

I will get some pics of the furniture as well as several other little projects I have recently completed this weekend.

Well I am not the first to miss a self imposed deadline and after a very busy holiday with lots of family I did not have time to finish things up. My new self imposed deadline is in about a week. Fingers crossed.
post #460 of 582 Old 12-06-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:

Big thank you to stitch for helping out the other day. We moved a couch and chair into the room and had to remove 4 doors to get it done. One of those doors was the 150 pounder to the theater and it was a bear to handle and reattach. The couch was well over 300 lbs just going by how much easier it was to move the 200 pound orbit shifter recently. The couch is a Natuzzi and very solidly made with dual recliners. I had. I idea what I was in for when I went to pick it up on craigslist. The leather is pretty well scratched so I picked it up for cheap. It has a matching chair as well so. Is my rear row can seat 4.

I will get some pics of the furniture as well as several other little projects I have recently completed this weekend.

Well I am not the first to miss a self imposed deadline and after a very busy holiday with lots of family I did not have time to finish things up. My new self imposed deadline is in about a week. Fingers crossed.

If there are no pictures............it never happened! biggrin.gif

Happy for you! Hope to see/hear how your premiere goes! Merry Christmas to you and your family!
post #461 of 582 Old 12-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

I left thinking "man, we should have taken some pictures" However, at the time I was thinking how the ______ are we going to do this. That couch was a beast. At least we didn't have to cut it in half then put it back together. That one is still my best couch moving story. But Grants couch has to be the heaviest I have ever moved.
post #462 of 582 Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Spent way too much time with my pull out media cabinet. It was probably a mistake from both a financial perspective and the time invested. Big pain in the buns to get everything to work properly. I am not even going to delve into the hassle I went to. But, I would not suggest others do this the way I did it. Nevertheless, here are some pics of the now functioning pull out media cabinet. The entire cabinet is on castors and there are slides top and bottom to keep things in line. I also needed to add aluminum guides on the floor so it would slide more easily.

I made a series of blocking screwed to the ceiling joists and the header to which is attached 3/4 sob to use for mounting. Here it is from the side.

Back angle.

The bottom was easier but I had to build it up to exactly the correct height.

I made some stops for the forward motion of the cabinet on the floor.

And stops for the backward motion are mounted to the top plate.

I will put up some final pics of the cabinet after the shelves are all installed and I apply another coat of paint.
post #463 of 582 Old 12-07-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Projector shelf and porthole.

Finished the projector porthole and put the Edmunds glass in at an angle.

My initial plan for the projector was to make a platform that stands on the floor and does not touch anything else using 4x4 posts to add mass and strength. Well, I went ahead and built the thing but it did not work for multiple reasons. The whole thing was unstable and took up a ton of space while looking pretty unwieldy. So I tore the whole thing down and started over after ordering some IB3 clips.

I mounted the shelf to the walls using the IB3's so my hope is that the shelf is effectively decoupled from both the theater room and from footfalls from the kitchen floor above.

The angle in the shelf is to prevent the shelf from interfering with the AV rack.

I also cut in a vent between the area above the projector in the PJ room and the storage area behind it. My plan is to mount a fan in the storage area drawing the hot air out of the PJ room. You can also see the brush plate I installed to get the hdmi and misc cable from the storage area to the projector.

Then I finished it off with a little trim. Overall, I am pleased with the look. I hope it performs as well and prevents my projector from shaking.

Edit: I plan to add a piece of serenity matt for the projector to sit on. One more layer of damping and vibration control can't hurt right? As always final pics to come…..
post #464 of 582 Old 12-07-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lots of odds and ends to finish up. Here are just a few of them.

Some of the panels ran into the can lights so they needed to be shaved down with the saw for a perfect fit.

This is one of the double outlets in the riser. Left side is a normal outlet and the right side I used a brush plate that fits over one of the 1.5'' flexible conduit runs. Currently, I have an hdmi and cat6 cable run through there. I bought female to female connectors for both of them so now I can hook up cables directly. I didn't do the greatest job of cutting the carpet but you can't really tell from standing level and these will be behind seating anyway.

There must have been 20-30 of these little jobs that just sucked up the hours. Lots of panels needed to be modified to get everything to fit. Whether it was making room for stuff behind the panel or doing the tricky panels for the doors or just making everything fit tight it was very time consuming. Now I still need to give the panels a wash before I am truly finished. Oh, and I almost forgot I still need to work on the front panels that cover the speakers. I plan to use clamps to hold them tight. It's the little things that just go on and on at the end o this project.
post #465 of 582 Old 12-07-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 470
MOVIE NIGHT MOVIE NIGHT MOVIE NIGHT!!!! biggrin.gif
post #466 of 582 Old 12-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Looking good Grant!
post #467 of 582 Old 12-07-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Natuzzi leather couch and chair.

As previously posted Tim (Stitch1) helped me move some furniture into the room and it was quite an ordeal. It is solidly made and very heavy. Picked it up cheap from craiglist. It has a multitude of scratches which may or may not be fixable. This will be in the rear row where I expect my children to be on most occasions so maybe pre scratched is actually best.

With the couch and chair side by side I can now fit four in my rear row.

The great majority of the riser is now filled up.

The chair and both ends of the couch recline.

Wall hugger design.

And now the bad news. Here is a close up of some of the scratches. Does anyone have suggestions on how to go about fixing this?

If you are not close up it does not show as bad. Also these pics were taken with all of the lights on at full brightness. Turn it down a bit and it becomes much more difficult to make out.

Very exited to be able to fit four in the back row for very very cheap. It was a decent match to the theater recliners I just bought. Not perfect but I can deal with it.
post #468 of 582 Old 12-07-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It has been a real chore lately working after the kids go to bed. My wife has HAD it with me so I need to finish ASAP. I hope to have equipment installed next weekend. The only reason I am able to post this is there is just too much good football on this afternoon to be working down there. Hope to post some final pics next week!
post #469 of 582 Old 12-07-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow! That couch and room look so inviting! I'm excited for you man, great - and I mean great - room. smile.gif
post #470 of 582 Old 12-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Let me know if you need any help throughout the week. I should be available after work just about everyday this week.
post #471 of 582 Old 12-07-2013, 05:58 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 67
VERY nice work! KC GTG at your place soon?! I really like the pull-out media cabinet. I'm 2 days in to my media room project, so I am scouring your build for ideas, and there are plenty of good ones. As far as the scratches, a good quality tinted leather conditioner from a leather shop like Tandy or even a leather coat shop, or shoe store would help them blend in.
post #472 of 582 Old 12-08-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

Let me know if you need any help throughout the week. I should be available after work just about everyday this week.

Me too.
post #473 of 582 Old 12-08-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I used a local franchisee of http://colorglo.com/ to refinish a leather sofa-bed. I was very happy with the results, and it was not terribly expensive. He came to the house and did the work on-site.
post #474 of 582 Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post

I used a local franchisee of http://colorglo.com/ to refinish a leather sofa-bed. I was very happy with the results, and it was not terribly expensive. He came to the house and did the work on-site.

Thanks.........................this was helpful for me!

Have oils on head/hand rests which bother the heck out of me on a 3 year old Leather couch...........................nubuck leather is a pain! Soft as heck, but stains so easy............................will give call tomorrow.
post #475 of 582 Old 12-08-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the offers for help. I might take you up on it at least to mount the Sherbourn as it is 100 lbs. And Tim you can come by any time to pick up the rest of the construction materials.

Good suggestions on the leather repair. I contacted my local Colorglo guy to get a quote. If it is too much then I will look at getting something from Tandy to attempt myself.

Great day of college football yesterday. I took several hours off to take it all in. Now watching the Chiefs destroy the opposition and I think I will skip the second half and get to work.
post #476 of 582 Old 12-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

You should post a pic once you get the amp fully mounted. Don't act like you're not super excited to see it in there! you should have seen the look on your face! tongue.gif <--- thats the closest look we have here on the forum. It just looks like a beast up there all black and menacing.

This room is going to be done in no time now. It looks like all the super hard stuff is behind you now!
post #477 of 582 Old 12-11-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Will do if I get a free minute. Been pushing hard to finish by the weekend. My goal is just to get it functioning. I will save all of the insteon lighting and iRule automation till I can get some one with experience to lend me a hand.

And thanks again for helping me rack mount that thing! I am glad I fastened the rack to the wall. It is just inevitable that eventually the kids will climb it no matter how hard I try to prevent it from happening. And it is now extremely top heavy with 100 lbs up there.

Yes it did bring a smile to my face. It does look pretty bad a$$ if I do say so myself.
post #478 of 582 Old 12-12-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did some shelving in the area underneath my stairwell.

I just fastened a framework of leftover lumber to the walls. There were not enough studs at the right locations behind the drywall for me to skip this step.

Right side done.

Both sides ready for shelves.

Again, I had left over mdf so I cut it up for the shelves and put some facing on it for strength and appearance. A few coats of paint later….

Installed the shelves and we are good to go with stuff I would have had to throw out anyway.

And yes Stitch I will take a pic of the Amp as promised!
post #479 of 582 Old 12-13-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As promised. I hope it won't be alone for long.

Looks pretty slick to me. But, I can't be the only one nervous about rack mounting a 100 lb expensive component. I suppose it would just fall on whatever is below it a short distance………hmm that would be my Denon 4311 which also cost a pretty penny.

post #480 of 582 Old 12-13-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I think I'm going to put mine at the bottom of the rack. I know from a heat standpoint it's better at the top, but I'm not too excited about a 100 lb weight mounted at the top. Did you support the back, or is it only attached at the front?

BTW, that's looking sekzy for sure!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Klipsch Rf83 Black Each 2 Way Reference Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Triad , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Sherbourn , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Harmony 900 Remote
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page