Sunflower State Cinema - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #571 of 613 Old 01-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I agree with what Doug is saying, nothing about the room looked DIY to me.

The only exception (which to me is a positive since I would prefer it this way if it were me) was the couch in the second row. There is something about having a place to actually lay down, not just recline.

Things I was extremely impressed with:

1. acoustics in the room
2. beautiful/professional looking room - great lighting and colors too
3. AT screen with not a hint of holes/weave/whatever even right up next to it.
4. Incredible contrast, ha, I don't get blacks anywhere near that with my massive screen/entry level projector/bright room.
5. Chairs were so comfortable!
6. What a great decision to go with the Orbit Shifter! That pushed me over the edge into getting a transducer.
7. Great noise isolation from the rest of the house! Awesome!
8. Like I said, couch is the way to go.
9. Even without much if any tweaking I loved the surround.
10. 2nd row gets GREAT tactile feel - see #6 smile.gif

^^^To get 1 OS or 2, that is the question! I think I might damage something if curiosity gets the best of me.

..........

Great build and perseverance, Grant. I might add a backup pump after seeing what you went thru...one can never be too careful. I think I missed it while reading thru your thread, but did you decide what 2nd sub you plan to add...if you're still considering a 2nd, that is.

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
asoofi1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #572 of 613 Old 01-08-2014, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
vikgrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbus, Indiana, USA
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Congrats! on completing your theater Grant. Did not realize you were fully done. Its been a while since i came on the forum. It looks amazing and also your whole thread is an excellent source to refer for future DIYers.
vikgrao is online now  
post #573 of 613 Old 01-08-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

^^^To get 1 OS or 2, that is the question! I think I might damage something if curiosity gets the best of me.

..........

Great build and perseverance, Grant. I might add a backup pump after seeing what you went thru...one can never be too careful. I think I missed it while reading thru your thread, but did you decide what 2nd sub you plan to add...if you're still considering a 2nd, that is.

Yes to the backup pump. I have a battery backup and I plan to install a third pump that is powered off of the city water pressure.

As far as needing one or two OS's. There are two things to consider. Output and even frequency response between the seating positions.

My room is 15 x 19 x 8 pretty well sealed up and I can tell you that output is not an issue. The OS pressurizes the room very well. I don't know exactly what spl I am getting or how low I am getting it. I will do some measurements and find out. Unless your room is very large you probably do not need 2. Some people are interested in getting meaningful output into the single digits and this is very difficult. There are simply too many other areas of my theater I would like to address before I go chasing single digits.

Most rooms will need to have multiple subwoofers to even out the frequency response between the rows of seating. I do have a balancing sub cubby built into the wall for this purpose. I currently have a Rythmik F12SE back there that I have not had time to play with yet. The balancing sub does not need to be powerful and does not need to go very low since room modes will not be very low. However, I still may have problems getting these 2 very different subs to play nice so I built the space in the wall large enough for 2-3 18'' sealed boxes.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #574 of 613 Old 01-08-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

Congrats! on completing your theater Grant. Did not realize you were fully done. Its been a while since i came on the forum. It looks amazing and also your whole thread is an excellent source to refer for future DIYers.

Thanks Vik! Your thread was an inspiration!

I have been enjoying having a few people over and watching movies once the kids go to bed. There are around 20 "new release" movies that I own that I have put off seeing for several years in anticipation of the completion of my room. And 40 more of my all time favorites that I have been holding off on for the same reason. Now it is time to have fun.

I still need to do all of the automation stuff with iRule on my iPad and working with my GC 100-12 has been a puzzler. I am hoping a fellow avs'er will help me out sometime.

………..And you were right. There is simply very little you can do to prevent the insane low frequency waves put out by the Orbit Shifter from shaking the entire house if you crank it up enough. Even after all of the soundproofing the OS is just a beast and will have it's way.

How was watching the new Superman movie in your room? I still absolutely love the pic of Superman gracing your screen. Where did you find that picture?
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #575 of 613 Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nebrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: omaha,NE,USA
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Nice work, it looks like it turned out perfectly!

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
nebrunner is offline  
post #576 of 613 Old 01-08-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

Nice work, it looks like it turned out perfectly!

Thanks. I still remember the first time the door closed to your theater. There was a satisfying thunk and then a silence that was unlike what I had experienced before. It really encouraged me that I was doing the right thing by moving forward with the soundproofing aspect of the project.

I will probably address this in another post sometime once I gather some more information but the high frequencies are damped enough so that my wife can tolerate me listening at high volumes and not tell me to turn it down. The low frequencies shake the whole house but up on the second floor bedrooms it is kind of like a low rolling thunder and my kids can sleep through it with a fan on. They have not awoke once and I am very thankful for this.

As far as lowering the noise floor in the room I am very happy with what my ears tell me. I don't have the measuring gear to tell you what it is but it is very very quiet. I think it takes the movie and music experience to the next level and I can be completely lost in the material. The one thing that I can't completely keep out is hard footfalls from the hardwood ceiling above and I knew this would be an issue when I started. Thankfully all of my "critical" movies and music will be played after the kids are in bed so it won't be an issue. I am glad however that I decided to do the double layer of 5/8'' dw with gg on the subfloor. I can't A/B the difference of course but I would hate to have regrets now wondering how much noise could have been prevented from entering the room.

Another thing that sticks out for me about your room is the xbmc. I want to do something like this eventually and stream content from a home server type hardware. Do I understand correctly that they are not continuing support officially for xbmc? That is too bad. I really liked the interface. What are the other options?
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #577 of 613 Old 01-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
vikgrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbus, Indiana, USA
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks! landshark1 posted it on my thread i think and i then did a image search online and found it. Not yet watched the new superman movie in my theater. I am rarely doing loud demos nowadays unless someone visits and wants it. I am extremely happy watching most movies between -15 to -12 or -10 depending on the soundtrack on it.

My automation is also on the pending. I got my irule programmed by a fellow member and dealer on this forum "moreilly" but after that i did not even get to reading and installing the GC and modem gateways and use it since i got busy. I will have to look for someone local to do it for me also! I mostly use the iphone apps for the insteon lights and individual equipment for now.
vikgrao is online now  
post #578 of 613 Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BllDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Another thing that sticks out for me about your room is the xbmc. I want to do something like this eventually and stream content from a home server type hardware. Do I understand correctly that they are not continuing support officially for xbmc? That is too bad. I really liked the interface. What are the other options?


MediaBrowser3 and JRiver are two very good options for HTPC use. I use JRiver and really like it. It's tailored a little more toward the music enthusiast as there are many options for adjusting playback. The theater view is not as interesting as XBMC or MB3, though it works well and the actual video playback is right on par with the other players because it incorporates MadVR and LAV filters into one package (read less setup).
MB3 on the other hand is just gorgeous and also looks like it should have excellent playback capabilities. I haven’t had time to play with this yet, but @MFusick is all over it.
Check out this thread for some good info:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477339/so-youve-built-your-htpc-now-what-is-next-how-to-get-the-ultimate-picture-and-sound-quality-from-your-htpc-madvr-svp-xbmc-mediabrowser-jriver

-




Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
BllDo is offline  
post #579 of 613 Old 01-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 973
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Thanks. I still remember the first time the door closed to your theater. There was a satisfying thunk and then a silence that was unlike what I had experienced before. It really encouraged me that I was doing the right thing by moving forward with the soundproofing aspect of the project.

I will probably address this in another post sometime once I gather some more information but the high frequencies are damped enough so that my wife can tolerate me listening at high volumes and not tell me to turn it down. The low frequencies shake the whole house but up on the second floor bedrooms it is kind of like a low rolling thunder and my kids can sleep through it with a fan on. They have not awoke once and I am very thankful for this.

As far as lowering the noise floor in the room I am very happy with what my ears tell me. I don't have the measuring gear to tell you what it is but it is very very quiet. I think it takes the movie and music experience to the next level and I can be completely lost in the material. The one thing that I can't completely keep out is hard footfalls from the hardwood ceiling above and I knew this would be an issue when I started. Thankfully all of my "critical" movies and music will be played after the kids are in bed so it won't be an issue. I am glad however that I decided to do the double layer of 5/8'' dw with gg on the subfloor. I can't A/B the difference of course but I would hate to have regrets now wondering how much noise could have been prevented from entering the room.

Another thing that sticks out for me about your room is the xbmc. I want to do something like this eventually and stream content from a home server type hardware. Do I understand correctly that they are not continuing support officially for xbmc? That is too bad. I really liked the interface. What are the other options?
Mediaportal is what I've been using for years.
DotJun is offline  
post #580 of 613 Old 01-11-2014, 06:35 PM
d_c
Advanced Member
 
d_c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Any luck with the Insteon system? I'm to the point that I need to run wire, so I'm trying to decide on what to get.
d_c is online now  
post #581 of 613 Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Thanks Blldo and dotjun for the suggestions. I will take a look when it comes time.

d_c I am just having too much fun using the room to spend the time and frustration to set up the automation. I am waiting for MrSmithers to have some time to come help me. He knows all about it after setting his up and I have decided to wait for help rather than struggling. I was able to program the Insteon stuff though and do my scenes. I can manually push the buttons on the dimmer switches but I have not programmed everything to work with iRule yet.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #582 of 613 Old 01-25-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 24,468
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

MediaBrowser3 and JRiver are two very good options for HTPC use. I use JRiver and really like it. It's tailored a little more toward the music enthusiast as there are many options for adjusting playback. The theater view is not as interesting as XBMC or MB3, though it works well and the actual video playback is right on par with the other players because it incorporates MadVR and LAV filters into one package (read less setup).
MB3 on the other hand is just gorgeous and also looks like it should have excellent playback capabilities. I haven’t had time to play with this yet, but @MFusick is all over it.
Check out this thread for some good info:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477339/so-youve-built-your-htpc-now-what-is-next-how-to-get-the-ultimate-picture-and-sound-quality-from-your-htpc-madvr-svp-xbmc-mediabrowser-jriver

Funny I didn't get or see any notification from the @mfusick but I just happen to be reading this thread now and see it. Does that @ function work on AVS?

As far as post content I will +1 ^ biggrin.gif

Mediabrowser for slickness and eye candy, Jriver for simple high quality that works. Mediabrowser requires a bit more set up and learning curve but you are rewarded for your efforts. Jriver has everything important under on roof, which is value enough for some.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #583 of 613 Old 11-13-2014, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
JTR 212 HT's rocking the house

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/noesis-212ht/

Been awhile since my last update. I have been having way too much fun in the room this past year. My wife and I are down there 6 out of 7 nights a week once the kids to to bed. It has been just awesome. Well, a few months back a buddy of mine here on the forums upgraded to the JTR 215's. He goes by Carp on avs and he lives just a few minutes from my place so I took the "last years news" 212's off his hands. He only used 2 in his room as R and L channels so that I still needed an additional channel to use as my center for a matching front row behind my AT screen. As it turned out Carp was picking up his 215's at dlbeck's theater debut and I was already planning on attending. Of course Jeff (of JTR) was there and I picked up the additional 212 from him that same day.

It worked out that I was able to sell my Klipsch speakers to some Iowa folks the very same day. So Carp and I hauled my Klipsch RF83's upstairs in the morning and into his van. Maybe 75 lbs and not too bad. Unloaded them once we got to Davids house. The guy I sold it to arrived ahead of us and had already made his way into David's to check things out. He was a newbie and was blown away. He says "you guys would not believe the speakers they have in there"! And we were like "yeah we are actually taking those home today". He just looked at us in disbelief. Funny story that guy ended up staying the whole day! He was totally not planning on it but I think he realized pretty quickly that he needed to jump at the chance to see a room as cool as David's. So long story short we did a lot of speaker hauling:
-215's into van.
-212 into van.
-Back to KS and 215's into Carps room. Those stairs were a bugger. I think the 215's are around 200 lb.'s!!!!!!
-load his 212's into the van (only 120 lbs so a piece of cake)
-finally unload 212's at my place. down the stairs one last time. Whew!

It was a fun day and hearing the 212's in David's excellent room made me very excited to get them home.
Scott Simonian and asoofi1 like this.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #584 of 613 Old 11-13-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Here are a few bad pics of the 212 HT's. Very hard to take pics at the front of my room with all of the black fabric and what not.

Right Channel.





The center channel is behind the screen at the same height. I have stands for them filled with sand I think.
Scott Simonian and asoofi1 like this.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #585 of 613 Old 11-13-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Very nice stage...great job. Those 212's have found the perfect new home. Is the center horizontal?

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
asoofi1 is online now  
post #586 of 613 Old 11-13-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I did an in room audition with his 212's before I purchased them. I asked a friend to bring his Procella P8's as well. We did a comparison and it was a dramatic win for my ears for the 212's. It was closer for movies but for music the 212's were the clear winner for various reasons. The 212's had incredible dynamics and soundstage the likes of which few speakers I have heard can match.

As a disclaimer here I want to say there is no perfect speaker but dang this is a pretty darn good one.

Once I hooked up the 212's and did some listening it was clear to me that my Klipsch speakers had been compressing even at levels below reference. I could now listen louder with no harsh sounds. I just kept wanting to go louder and louder. I usually listen to movies at minus 8. I would go a bit louder if my wife would let me. For music it depends on the song and the mood but usually minus 4 to start and then I am all over the place hovering around reference. For a track I am really into it is not uncommon for me to push it to plus 4 for short periods. I go to plus 8 for even shorter periods. Even at plus 8 there is not a hint of strain from the 212's. They are capable of 134 dB without compression. Headroom is a good thing.

One of the best things about the 212's is the soundstage. It is simply fantastic. Wider than the room is. You would be fooled if you closed your eyes. Some of this is because my room has pretty good acoustics and well placed treatments. On a good recording you can easily pick out where each instrument is located in the room. Very cool stuff.

Dynamics is where the 212 eats other speaker for breakfast. I am not sure how this will come off. But if you have never heard a speaker this capable then you simply do not know what you are missing.

There is no perfect speaker and the 212 is no exception. It is not the best speaker I have ever heard for music. I really like the way some music sounds on a ribbon tweeter. Don't misunderstand. It sounds phenomenal for music. But, it does not make me melt into a puddle and then somehow transcend into another plane of existence the way a small handful of listening experiences have. One thing I want to make clear is that the 212 does not have a "bad horn" sound. Just good sound from a well done horn. The 212 is amazing for rock which is 75% of my listening. Also very good for live recordings. I have been listening to a ton of Palladia HD and the live concert feel is pretty realistic.

For movies I have found a speaker that is completely satisfying for my tastes. I think anyone looking for a cinema speaker/rock music speaker should give them a listen. The dialogue from the center channel is the best I have ever heard. So I think I will stay put with these for quite some time. I would consider adding additional ribbon tweeter speakers for music listening at lower levels at some point but it would be tough for me to give up the headroom.
asoofi1 likes this.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #587 of 613 Old 11-13-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Very nice stage...great job. Those 212's have found the perfect new home. Is the center horizontal?
The center is vertical to match. One concern I have is that the sound from the top of the horn could just touch the lip of my rope light tray. I was afraid this would muddy up the dialogue somehow. Well, if it is then I can't detect it.

I see you have JTR surrounds. That is now my weak link. My surrounds strain at reference (which does not happen much for movies). But after hearing Davids' S8's I instantly knew that my surround field was inferior.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #588 of 613 Old 11-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Looks great!

It was great to meet you last week
7channelfreak is online now  
post #589 of 613 Old 11-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
The center is vertical to match. One concern I have is that the sound from the top of the horn could just touch the lip of my rope light tray. I was afraid this would muddy up the dialogue somehow. Well, if it is then I can't detect it.

I see you have JTR surrounds. That is now my weak link. My surrounds strain at reference (which does not happen much for movies). But after hearing Davids' S8's I instantly knew that my surround field was inferior.
I wasn't sure from your photos if it was vertically behind the screen or just below...wasn't sure if you had an AT screen or not.

You made some great points about the 212HT...it is absolutely clean and just a wall of sound. So much so, after you've gotten used to hearing them for a while, one just has to hook up your old speakers to really hear how dramatic of a difference it is and how much you were missing. I did this with some speakers I've had that I used to think were great...and now...they honestly sound terrible. There was so much detail and dynamics I was missing...and as you said, the dimensional effect of the musicians really adds to the listening experience. For me, I've found them to be great with music after balancing the subs. I had planned to get a pair of bowers wilkins 803D, but I became very content after the 212's arrived...especially how much value you get...there are speakers more expensive than the 212 that don't sound as good to me...or not worth it for the last 5-10% of perceived improvement. Heck, treatments will improve things for people more often than more expensive speakers! I'll eventually setup a separate dedicated 2 channel system, but I'm having so much fun with my current HT toys being able to do double duty.

In regards to the S8...it's the same story as the 212...once you get them into your room, you'll be wondering why you didn't get them sooner. I will say, there are some great cd/horn surrounds that will timbre match well and keep up with the 212...and at half the cost. However, when you do an a/b comparison, that's when you can really tell how different the S8 sound. For some, it may be worth it and others, not so much. When I watch a scene like Book of Eli or anything with a great surround mix, the S8 really shine. Just keep an eye on the classifieds and some may come up...but I can guarantee this...you won't see mine for sale [emoji57]

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008

Last edited by asoofi1; 11-13-2014 at 09:34 PM.
asoofi1 is online now  
post #590 of 613 Old 11-14-2014, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
Looks great!

It was great to meet you last week
Great to meet you as well. You get the award for longest distance travelled to get to the meet by about oh say several hundred miles! Nicely done. So I take it the atmos demo was enough for you to jump on board.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #591 of 613 Old 11-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Great to meet you as well. You get the award for longest distance travelled to get to the meet by about oh say several hundred miles! Nicely done. So I take it the atmos demo was enough for you to jump on board.
I had my mind made up at Cedia in September. I like the effect but don't feel it's a game changer. I do like it tho. I think the mixes will continue to improve with time. I'm curious how the Dolby Surround up mixer does with non Atmos material. If we would have had time at the GTG, I would have liked to drop a few movies in to see what it does to a normal 5 or 7 channel mix.

I'm not in a big rush as I have to figure the speakers out yet. I think Jeff is working on a ceiling mount version. That would be preferential but may be a size issue and the cost may be a bitter pill. Plus...it's an easy install as I have attic above my room. I'm kinda worried about the depth of the speakers as I have a slanted roof life on my left and front walls. I ran cables for wides and heights that end behind my false wall. I'll pull those speaker cables to the new locations so I can have 7.2.4. And I'm pretty sure the new Denon 7200 will do all 11 channel processing but I'll need a stereo amp to drive all of them simultaniuosly.
7channelfreak is online now  
post #592 of 613 Old 11-15-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,888
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Great to hear the 212's are working out. Your review on the speaker is spot on........

I came very close purchasing a trio myself, but in the end, priorities were placed elsewhere. If dynamics are a priority, not a lot of speakers for the money can compete with 212's.......for theater they are excellent.

I agree with your comment on ribbons................and yes, some may find 212's lacking in some qualities.........I did............but then again.........to each his own I guess.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #593 of 613 Old 11-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I'll pull those speaker cables to the new locations so I can have 7.2.4. And I'm pretty sure the new Denon 7200 will do all 11 channel processing but I'll need a stereo amp to drive all of them simultaniuosly.
Yes, current avr's will power 5.x.4 or 7.x.2...any additional speakers will need an amp. Even though my goal is 9.x.4 eventually, 5.x.4 sounds fantastic from what I've heard in a demo and I may do that for the time being to scratch the itch. 4 overhead is a minimum for a great atmos experience. I'm now looking for a 3-channel amp for the LCR so I can hit 7.x.4.

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
asoofi1 is online now  
post #594 of 613 Old 11-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Great to hear the 212's are working out. Your review on the speaker is spot on........

I came very close purchasing a trio myself, but in the end, priorities were placed elsewhere. If dynamics are a priority, not a lot of speakers for the money can compete with 212's.......for theater they are excellent.

I agree with your comment on ribbons................and yes, some may find 212's lacking in some qualities.........I did............but then again.........to each his own I guess.
Keep an eye on the classifieds and post in the jtr thread when you're in the market again...some may be changing their setup in the next couple of months...

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
asoofi1 is online now  
post #595 of 613 Old 11-15-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,888
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Keep an eye on the classifieds and post in the jtr thread when you're in the market again...some may be changing their setup in the next couple of months...
Don't know if this was directed at me.......but if I changed out which I'm not.........Triad Plats, Adam Audio or Quested would be at top of my list.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #596 of 613 Old 11-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Don't know if this was directed at me.......but if I changed out which I'm not.........Triad Plats, Adam Audio or Quested would be at top of my list.
Your ears are #1

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
asoofi1 is online now  
post #597 of 613 Old 11-15-2014, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I had my mind made up at Cedia in September. I like the effect but don't feel it's a game changer. I do like it tho. I think the mixes will continue to improve with time. I'm curious how the Dolby Surround up mixer does with non Atmos material. If we would have had time at the GTG, I would have liked to drop a few movies in to see what it does to a normal 5 or 7 channel mix.

I'm not in a big rush as I have to figure the speakers out yet. I think Jeff is working on a ceiling mount version. That would be preferential but may be a size issue and the cost may be a bitter pill. Plus...it's an easy install as I have attic above my room. I'm kinda worried about the depth of the speakers as I have a slanted roof life on my left and front walls. I ran cables for wides and heights that end behind my false wall. I'll pull those speaker cables to the new locations so I can have 7.2.4. And I'm pretty sure the new Denon 7200 will do all 11 channel processing but I'll need a stereo amp to drive all of them simultaniuosly.
I agree I would really like to hear what it does for normal content. If it is somehow superior then I would be in for sure. I am not sure why it would be better though.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #598 of 613 Old 11-15-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Great to hear the 212's are working out. Your review on the speaker is spot on........

I came very close purchasing a trio myself, but in the end, priorities were placed elsewhere. If dynamics are a priority, not a lot of speakers for the money can compete with 212's.......for theater they are excellent.

I agree with your comment on ribbons................and yes, some may find 212's lacking in some qualities.........I did............but then again.........to each his own I guess.
Thanks I am very happy with them. It helped me to realize that the perfect speaker simply does not exist. At least for most people. It is more likely that we will need to make choices/compromises. I would guess that I am 75% movies so I was not willing to compromise on dynamics/SPL/dialogue and other qualities of a great cinema speaker.

When Carp decided to sell his pair I just could not pass them up even though there were a few speakers out there I did not have the chance to hear at that point.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #599 of 613 Old 11-15-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
HVAC advice needed!

Ok so I need a way to cool my room in the winter. I just did not have the money to hire a pro to do it properly a year ago so here I am. The weather is turning colder and now that my heater is running it is doing its job in the room and making it hot in there! I do think that circulation is an issue in my room. If I was able to get more air changes then that might go a long way to making it more comfortable.

So here are the basics. I have two 6'' supplies using flex duct. I have two 90 degree bends which probably slows the air flow down considerably. My diffusers are 4x36 with a 15 degree slant toward the seats. They are near to the front of the room a few feet in front of the screen. They have a way to close them manually but it is a pain (something I did not realize when I purchased from hvacquick). Both of those runs have electronic dampers installed near the take off which is in the mechanical room to the rear of the theater. Right now the electronic dampers are not hooked up to anything. They are from Suncourt I think.

I have one 10'' return in the rear of the room behind the seats. It is closer to the floor than to the ceiling unfortunately. That return also makes two 90 degree bends and does an S curve on its way through the flex duct up to the return in the mechanical room where I tied it in.

So I am a bit uncertain what I should really be thinking or what my options are but here goes.

I recently (3 years ago) bought a new heater and AC. Could that same unit be used to cool the theater during winter? I think I read that only some units can run in cold temperatures so maybe I need to check. This would obviously involve some kind of zoning and the AC and heat may not be able to be on at the same time. I am a little confused about this.

1. Zoning. Like I said before I don't know if I need to have another unit for this or not. Another unit could price me out because I am guessing the zoning will be expensive enough.

2. Mini Split.

-Duct less mini split. There is not a great way for me to get place one in the theater. It could involve ripping quite a bit of stuff out and that just gives me a migraine. I am not sure about the noise either. I went to a lot of trouble to keep it quiet in there so if I could hear the mini split that would tick me off. Still it might be possible to put it in the rear of the room even though it is an eye sore.

-Ducted mini split. I don't know much about them other than they exist and they are rare. It would be nice to put one in the mechanical room and tie it into the ducts back there. One issue might be getting the air flow through the long tortuous flex duct. Maybe I could use an in line fan for this?

My heater and fan currently sits in the mechanical room and has a run that goes to the other side of the house where the condenser/AC unit sits outside. Hoping to use this same run to get outside. However, I saw a thread in which someone put the mini split condenser in their mechanical room and it kind of helped heat the mechanical room and it was apparently no problem??? Again I am confused.

I am hoping that I can utilize some sort of wireless thermostat that resides in the theater.

3. I am pretty certain that air flow is a problem so I thought about putting an in line fan on the return side and seeing if that helped things??? It would get more air changes but I don't know how much that would help the temperature. Could also do fans on the supply side.

4. Another hair brained idea was to put the supply side electronic dampers into my heater such that they close when the heater is cycling and open when just the fan is on (which runs all the time). That way maybe less heat gets in the room???

I have a consult scheduled for Monday with the company that I used before. But as you know this is a very specialized form of HVAC and I am not sure if I trust someone who has not dealt with sound isolated rooms.

Oh boy, lots of confusion here. Can you guys give me some good advice?
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #600 of 613 Old 11-20-2014, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
So here is what I came up with as a cheap alternative to a mini split (which isn't going to happen).

Basically use an air exchange system between my mechanical room and my theater room.

1. Install damper at takeoff of 2 supplies.

2. Install an elbow of some kind that can have a fan installed into it or at the mouth to draw air into the supplies.

3. Possibly install a booster fan on my return system to increase air flow and air changes in the room.

Hoping this can work since the temp in my basement with the vents off and just recirculation via the return system is pretty cool. So the air I am putting into the theater (while not being ice cold) will at least be cool instead of hot.

I shared this idea with the HVAC consultant that came over Monday and he was going to talk to his more knowledgable manager about it. He seemed hopeful.

Any thoughts?
jedimastergrant is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Klipsch Rf83 Black Each 2 Way Reference Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Triad , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Sherbourn , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Harmony 900 Remote
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off