AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Looking good my friend! Keep it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Thanks! 120" wide 2.35:1 is the screen size. Not a lot of room left between the sides and the walls biggrin.gif

As I was watching a movie tonight I started imaging a screen this size on the wall, and after seeing "The Hobbit" in Imax I've been thinking about the immersive feeling that you get from such a large screen. I can't wait to see some pictures of your setup. It will be awesome. biggrin.gif

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 534 Old 12-19-2012, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Nice job on the stage and screen wall, GWCR. I'll be keeping an eye out for column updates.wink.gif
Thanks Spaceman. Hope to be able to give column updates soon. Plan is to keep them pretty basic at this point. Will see how that goes...rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Looking good my friend! Keep it up!
As I was watching a movie tonight I started imaging a screen this size on the wall, and after seeing "The Hobbit" in Imax I've been thinking about the immersive feeling that you get from such a large screen. I can't wait to see some pictures of your setup. It will be awesome. biggrin.gif
Thanks Austin. I'm getting pretty anxious for a movie in here. Gotta focus my free time now to get this done. Blizzard on the way tonight and Thurssday, so maybe I'll be trapped in the house with nothing to do. tongue.gif
post #303 of 534 Old 12-19-2012, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Really nice job! Nice, clean construction area too. It's almost like screen wall framing fairies magically "poofed" it into existence! biggrin.gif Your room is really starting to take shape!
post #304 of 534 Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Question: the black "carpet" you built your stage on top of, what kind of material is it? And does it have any other function that insulation against moisture, as is if it's to have some flex to make the stage "floating"?

(If there's any theory/design thread for stages, someone please point it out to me, I haven't found one searching just yet)

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #305 of 534 Old 12-19-2012, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Really nice job! Nice, clean construction area too. It's almost like screen wall framing fairies magically "poofed" it into existence! biggrin.gif Your room is really starting to take shape!
Thanks TMcG! Makes me feel better to keep it clean. I can't count how many times I have shop vac'd that room already! Was hoping I would wake up this morning and the fairies would have finished the entire room. No such luck frown.gif
post #306 of 534 Old 12-19-2012, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

Question: the black "carpet" you built your stage on top of, what kind of material is it? And does it have any other function that insulation against moisture, as is if it's to have some flex to make the stage "floating"?
(If there's any theory/design thread for stages, someone please point it out to me, I haven't found one searching just yet)
Hi Nightlord. That is just roofing felt. Only function is as a moisture barrier between the lumber and concrete.

Not sure if there is a "theory/design" thread for stages. However, in the sticky threads at the top of this forum there is a link to all the "Show me your..." threads. There are both stage and screen wall threads in there. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but might be a good place to start.
post #307 of 534 Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks GWCR.

About the cleaning, I know exactly what you mean - been doing most my cleaing with a broom set, but I don't want to know how many times I've used it. biggrin.gif

post #308 of 534 Old 12-19-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Good to hear that you got your screen and it appears to be the right size. That was a big concern for me after hearing several people having issues and needing to return them. So what is your schedule for putting it up?
post #309 of 534 Old 12-19-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Good to hear that you got your screen and it appears to be the right size. That was a big concern for me after hearing several people having issues and needing to return them. So what is your schedule for putting it up?
Yeah, I was pretty happy it was the correct size. Looks to be well made too. I think they are just one of those small shops that gets overwhelmed easily.

Schedule? Pretty obvious by now I can't stay on schedule tongue.gif The family is on me to be able to watch something over Christmas break. If I can get the wiring done I may have to have a "proof of concept" session or two, just to make sure everything is working properly...wink.gif
post #310 of 534 Old 12-19-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Definitely. I hope to be "testing" mine by the end of the upcoming weekend. I look at it as a nice reminder of why we are slaving away in these rooms day after day. My wife won't let me slack off so having the projector up won't impact my progress at all.
post #311 of 534 Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

As I needed to backtrack a bit on my project, I hooked everything up two weeks ago and had a sneak premiere for the family, before I started tearing things down. Felt the kids had that coming after 9 months of looking at me working on it.

post #312 of 534 Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Lots of family time over the holidays and not much time off work, but I managed to get a few things accomplished in the HT.

First, the gift from the Mrs. 4oz tabletop popcorn machine. Works great and the Great Northern Popcorn premeasured packs taste just like movie theater corn IMO.

Now on to the theater updates. Cut the vent holes for the riser, and wired up the step lights.

Installed the brackets for the surround speakers.

Installed 2 layers of Linacoustic RC behind the screen wall.

Columns are next. Should be able to get to those this weekend.
post #313 of 534 Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Looks good. What is your plan for the columns?
post #314 of 534 Old 01-02-2013, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Nick. Pretty basic plan for the columns. They will be 16" wide by 6" deep, and made from 3/4" MDF. I'm going to do them in 3 pieces. Lower piece will be 59" tall on the stage, and 71" tall for the 2 front columns. Then a 16" piece for the speakers (same on the front columns to match, even though no speakers in those), and about 10.5" for the top piece. They will be filled with insulation. Not sure if I will paint them black, or cover with black GOM at this point. My fabric samples came in last week, so I'm also working on the design for the walls.
post #315 of 534 Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Everything looks great GWCR! Keep up the good work.

I really like that popcorn maker. Any chance you have a link to where it was purchased?

I'm looking forward to seeing your fabric designs.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #316 of 534 Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Austin. Slowly but surely it is starting to resemble an HT...

We got the popper off of Amazon. There are a bunch of them out there, but this one seemed like the right size for us.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NCPXBG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

I haven't quite come up with a fabric design that I like yet. Hopefully in the next few days I can post some ideas and get some feedback.
post #317 of 534 Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 218
We have had a 4 oz popper for a number of years for our family of 4. There are really only 2 of us that are popcorn eaters, and we will go through a single batch pretty easily. If a 3rd person has some, then everyone gets about 1 serving. 4 or more people eating and we make a 2nd batch.

I love the physical size of the machine, but many times wish it was a 6 oz.
post #318 of 534 Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

We have had a 4 oz popper for a number of years for our family of 4. There are really only 2 of us that are popcorn eaters, and we will go through a single batch pretty easily. If a 3rd person has some, then everyone gets about 1 serving. 4 or more people eating and we make a 2nd batch.
I love the physical size of the machine, but many times wish it was a 6 oz.
We do go through a single batch pretty quick too (family of 4 also). Made a double batch the first day and it took us a while, although we weren't sitting there watching a movie. I'm sure we would have gone through more if that had been the case.
post #319 of 534 Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
We have an 8oz, feeds 4 adults and kids just perfect!

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #320 of 534 Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link GWCR. I've been thinking about a popcorn maker for awhile. It seems like a really cool addition to the theater.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #321 of 534 Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I think I recall reading you ordered a screen from Jamestown. Did it come with mounting hardware?

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #322 of 534 Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I ordered from Jamestown and it came with two sets of "z" brackets for mounting.
post #323 of 534 Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yep. Same here. Depending on the size of screen they will either send you one set of mounting hardware for the middle, or 2 sets that can be used to spread out the load for larger screens to avoid sagging in the middle.
post #324 of 534 Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got kind of a late start today, but still managed to get the lower section of all the columns done.

Columns on the riser.

Columns up front.

I don't have them attached yet, they are just setting in place. Made them out of 3/4" MDF. They are 16" wide x 6" deep. Tomorrow I will get the upper sections done. That will leave a 16"x16" space for the speakers. I'm doing the front ones the same just for looks. Once they are in and attached, I can finish up the wiring and get some dang power in there!
post #325 of 534 Old 01-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Liked: 14
Looks great...nice progress.

I have to ask though and I saw it in a couple of other builds...what is the purpose of all that sand in the riser?
post #326 of 534 Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Coming along nicely....I was designing columns today too! Your progress is mirroring mine except for the fact mine isn't in the real world yet tongue.gif
Are you planning on painting your columns? What will you use to cover your speakers?
post #327 of 534 Old 01-06-2013, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 View Post

Looks great...nice progress.
I have to ask though and I saw it in a couple of other builds...what is the purpose of all that sand in the riser?
Since the sub will be sitting on the stage, the sand will help absorb the LF, and keep it from traveling directly into the foundation and then moving thorough the rest of the house. Just another step of many in the sound containment process...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 235 View Post

Coming along nicely....I was designing columns today too! Your progress is mirroring mine except for the fact mine isn't in the real world yet tongue.gif
Are you planning on painting your columns? What will you use to cover your speakers?

Thanks 235. I have decided to wrap the columns in Black GOM rather than paint them. Will most likely use speaker cloth over the speaker area.
post #328 of 534 Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Need some opinions on how to complete the columns. I have the top sections assembled, so I could start attaching all of them to the walls. Then I could finish wiring and get power in the room. However, since I have decided to wrap the columns in GOM instead of painting them, I think it would be easier to wrap them before attaching to the walls. Here's the dilema. I don't have my fabric plan finalized, so I don't know how much GOM I'll be ordering and don't have any on hand. That would mean a delay as I wait for the GOM to be delivered. There are other things I need to complete yet (obviously...rolleyes.gif), so do I detour to those, or attach the columns to the walls and deal with attaching the GOM later? Pretty sure I know the answer, but want to hear from others.

Thanks!
post #329 of 534 Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Need some opinions on how to complete the columns. I have the top sections assembled, so I could start attaching all of them to the walls. Then I could finish wiring and get power in the room. However, since I have decided to wrap the columns in GOM instead of painting them, I think it would be easier to wrap them before attaching to the walls. Here's the dilema. I don't have my fabric plan finalized, so I don't know how much GOM I'll be ordering and don't have any on hand. That would mean a delay as I wait for the GOM to be delivered. There are other things I need to complete yet (obviously...rolleyes.gif), so do I detour to those, or attach the columns to the walls and deal with attaching the GOM later? Pretty sure I know the answer, but want to hear from others.
Thanks!
I haven't been following too closely so I don't know what the columns have to do with finishing the power, but I'd reccomend waiting for the GOM unless you can easily remove those pieces once installed.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #330 of 534 Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey blipszyc. Guess I never really explained that. Four of the columns have a power outlet in them. All the outlets are wired in parallel. The order for the outets is front right column, right side column, front stage, back stage, side left column and front left column. Just impatient to finish the power so I can lose the extension cord to the bar area tongue.gif. Didn't know if anyone else had wrapped their columns in place or if that would just be too big of a pain. If so, I've lived with the cord for 10 months, I can live with it a little longer. rolleyes.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page