Deadline Has Been Set (and Re-Set...) Theater Build - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 534 Old 02-18-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I hear you we are neck and neck I only trim work. The ice storm really set me back we were without power for several days and then I had to clear 5 acres worth of fallen trees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 534 Old 02-18-2014, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

I hear you we are neck and neck I only trim work. The ice storm really set me back we were without power for several days and then I had to clear 5 acres worth of fallen trees.
Yikes! At least you will have some wood to burn to help melt the ice now...rolleyes.gif

Cleared about 6" of snow off the driveway and street last night. We haven't really had a big one, just seems like 2-3" every few days. Thursday could be interesting this week. I'm so ready for spring...
post #513 of 534 Old 02-18-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

post #514 of 534 Old 03-08-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK. Back at it. Working on the screen wall panels to surround the screen. I have the left and right panels built (not wrapped yet), and have a quick question on the top and bottom panels. Each of those will be about 124" wide if I make them as a single panel. I can do it, but might be awkward and harder to wrap. Considering making 2 panels so they are easier to work with. Downside is there would be a "seam" in the center when they are installed.

Looking for some quick opinions so I can get back to work. TIA!
post #515 of 534 Old 03-08-2014, 01:09 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Making three panels would give it a nice balance, plus it keeps you under 4' width for each panel, making it easy on standard materials widths. Naturally no functional difference, but scratches the OCD itch by going with either one or three panels and not having that seam in the middle. Don't worry....I have the same permanent itch that I constantly try to scratch.... biggrin.gif
post #516 of 534 Old 03-08-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks TMcG. I brought SWMBO down to get her answer...I mean opinion.tongue.gif Two panels went out the door pretty quick. Settled on one. The less things I have to try to matchup straight the better. Off to make some more cuts!
post #517 of 534 Old 03-09-2014, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sounds like you already made your decision, but I split my top into two separate pieces, creating a seam in the middle of the screen. This matched up with the screen frame, so it looks "planned". The bottom is one large piece because of support issues I ran into behind the screen. That being said, they both look good and work equally well - I wouldn't beat yourself up over the decision, they both look and work fine.
post #518 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Screen wall panels are done and installed. I had planned on adding some velcro to the back but it wasn't necessary. Friction fit and no rattles at all.

Frames test fit.

With velvet.

It was pretty dark up front before, but this takes it to a new level. Picture is definitely "floating in a sea of black" now. Finishing off the light tray is next.
post #519 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Looking very nice!
Any downside to going with 2x2 for the false wall and the fabric panels? It seems a bit simpler than the minimalistic design with the 5/4" boards.
post #520 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 235 View Post

Looking very nice!
Any downside to going with 2x2 for the false wall and the fabric panels? It seems a bit simpler than the minimalistic design with the 5/4" boards.

I'd be worried about warping/twisting over time, assuming you can find straight ones to begin with.
post #521 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 235 View Post

Looking very nice!
I used 2x4s for my wall. Was easier to find boards that weren't warped.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #522 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks 235. My false wall is actually built with 2x4s. I had the lumber available so I used it, otherwise I would have gone with the minimalist wall design. Probably overkill, but super solid so I know it isn't going anywhere.

Fabric panel frames are actually 2 layers of 5/8 plywood. I ripped them into 2" wide strips, then glued and brad nailed them together. Same way I did the acoustic panel frames for the walls.
post #523 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Exactly, Spaceman and blipszyc. Straight 2x2s is like finding a can full of gold coins around here.
post #524 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Having a lipsync issue that is getting very irritating. I noticed it a month or so ago, but it wasn't too bad (I was the only one in the family that noticed). It wasn't constantly there, so I chalked it up to just one of those things that happened with certain blu-rays. Over the past couple weeks, it is more prevalent so I want to do something about it. I've only noticed it on BDs. So far I have adjusted the sync in my AVR (Onkyo TX-NR809). That worked for one disc, but then on the next movie it was back. Not as bad, but enough for me to pick it up again. Also, it isn't consistent within a given movie. We watched LOTR last night and sometimes the sync was off, and sometimes it wasn't. Usually happens at the start of a scene or when there is fast dialog.

My setup couldn't be any more straight forward. Sony BDP-S590 hdmi to Onkyo TX-NR809. Onkyo hdmi to Panny 8000 and 14AWG speaker wire directly to speakers. So with all of that wonderfully detailed info:rolleyes:, does anyone have any thoughts? Settings I should make sure are off or on in any of the components?
post #525 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Check to see if your Onkyo is doing any video processing. It could be introducing the slight delay.

post #526 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Check to see if your Onkyo is doing any video processing. It could be introducing the slight delay.
Thanks! I'll check that out. Time to dig deeper into the manual...
post #527 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 187
That sounds like a good place to start. I wonder also which component is processing the audio codec. Maybe swapping that around could help?
post #528 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Fred. That brings up a good question. It seems like every piece in the system can upconvert this, frame create that, etc. Is there a "best practices" for multiple components? ie turn off all those settings (if you can) in everything except the AVR or other component? Seems like having different components do the same processing could introduce the delay at multiple points. That could make sync settings difficult to impossible if something is "re-processed" after that point.
post #529 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

My take on the multiple components is to let the "best" device do the work - to me, that means let the AVR do the audio processing and the PJ do the video processing. If you have up-to-date components this is easy. Bitstream any audio from the source to the AVR and typically have the source video output set to Auto. In the AVR, all video processing is off and passed through to the PJ.

If you have an older AVR or PJ, it might then be better to let the source component do the processing.
nickbuol likes this.

post #530 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 187
For the standardized processes, like unpacking an audio codec, I expect fully identical results no matter which device executes the process. For settings you can adjust, like brightness or sharpness or EQ, I'm with blipszyc - do it only once, and in the hardware best suited.
post #531 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 202
FYI (to jump back a few posts) that you can use finger jointed pine (yes pine) for very straight fabric frames for around your screen. I went with 1x4 FJP for my frames, including for my screen) and everything is straight, and solid. It has been about 2 years since I built them and nothing has twisted or warped. Plus the 1x4 is lighter and easier to use (in some aspects) to 2x4s.

Nothing wrong with 2x4 construction either. I was just looking to get the least amount of "sound blocking" wood in my false wall, and it was recommended by someone here (maybe Big Mouth?) to use Finger Jointed Pine.
post #532 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Nick. Good call on the FJP being light and straight. If I didn't have all that lumber laying around I definitely would have gone that route. BIG has been a big proponent of the minimalist screen wall. Great thread with tons of info.

Minimalist Screen Wall
post #533 of 534 Old 03-10-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I did a modified Minimulast screen wall but for the frames I just rip 2x4s to make 1 3/4" x 1 1/2" and have never had a problem with but I did put quite 2 braces at 1/3 to make sturdy and help against twisting. To mount I did like Big does his panels and just shot a brad in the corners. Friction would have been ok on the top and bottom but I just wrapped a 2x4 in velvet for the sides to give that screen floating on the stage appearance.

Your screen looks great. I am still contemplating full panels on the side or a curtain but thought with open sides I can put any size base I want in there. biggrin.gif

Lip sync I have no issue my Panasonic BDT-500 blue ray does the processing through my Denon x4000 to my AE-8000. I have seen folks on the Denon owners thread talk about it though. May my Panny player with the Panny projector is the trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

This means alot! biggrin.gif
post #534 of 534 Old 03-13-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Made a couple adjustments for lip sync a couple days ago, and a quick test looked pretty good. Basically turned off frame creation on the 8000 (was Mode 1), and made sure the BDP was passing everything through to the AVR. Will need to throw in one of the problem discs tonight and see if it is truly fixed.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page