post #181 of 534 Old 10-30-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

oh, and order the PJ, and the sub, and the receiver...

These are exciting times! biggrin.gif

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 534 Old 10-30-2012, 10:15 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I forgot about one exciting update. Ordered the screen yesterday from Jamestown! 120" wide viewable with the SeymourAV Center Stage XD screen. Current wait time is 15 business days, so I hope it will be here by Thanksgiving...

Same screen I ordered. Might want to double-check that it's 120" wide (and not diagonal). I was given the diagonal and have since shipped it back for the 120" wide.
post #183 of 534 Old 10-31-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 235 View Post

Same screen I ordered. Might want to double-check that it's 120" wide (and not diagonal). I was given the diagonal and have since shipped it back for the 120" wide.

That sucks. I think stockmonkey2000 had the same problem. I remember discussing this exact thing with the guy from Jamestown over the phone. Hopefully he took good notes. eek.gif
post #184 of 534 Old 10-31-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 85
That's a bummer. Hope you're ok with yours, GWCR.

Been thinking of that screen too, but then I found the Seymour (same one!) Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K screens and I think I will be going for that one instead. Will be sure to doublecheck diagonal vs. width when ordering for sure.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #185 of 534 Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
^^what kind of price difference and quality difference is there between the Jamestown with centerstage screen vs just getting screen from Seymour?

post #186 of 534 Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

These are exciting times! biggrin.gif
that made my day Austin. Although to me it seems more like a mushroom cloud...
post #187 of 534 Old 10-31-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You can find the prices on Seymour's website for their screens. Based on those prices the Jamestown comes in under 1/2 the price. I can't speak for quality since I haven't received my Jamestown screen yet and have never seen a Seymour screen. The Jamestown fit in my current budget while the Seymour (and all others) would have required me to stretch it. That was the deciding factor for me. Plus I still get the Centerstage XD material which is the important part. Could have DIY'd the frame but probably wouldn't have saved enough vs. buying the Jamestown set to justify the added time and headache.
post #188 of 534 Old 10-31-2012, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was very specific, and he repeated back to me that it would be 120" wide viewable, but now you are making me nervous. Going to send him a quick email to verify that he has it correct.

@ tbraden32 - You can order just the XD screen material directly from Seymour and make a DIY frame. That was what I was originally going to do. After seeing the Jamestown frame, and the positive construction reviews (not necessarily timing reviews) on here, it was worth the extra $ to me to get it there. Still very reasonable in my mind. The high level would be ordering everything directly from Seymour. I considered that as well, but the savings was enough for me to stick with Jamestown. I think any of the three options are good. Just depends on what works best for you time, DIY initiative and pocketbook.
post #189 of 534 Old 10-31-2012, 09:53 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

I was very specific, and he repeated back to me that it would be 120" wide viewable, but now you are making me nervous. Going to send him a quick email to verify that he has it correct.
@ tbraden32 - You can order just the XD screen material directly from Seymour and make a DIY frame. That was what I was originally going to do. After seeing the Jamestown frame, and the positive construction reviews (not necessarily timing reviews) on here, it was worth the extra $ to me to get it there. Still very reasonable in my mind. The high level would be ordering everything directly from Seymour. I considered that as well, but the savings was enough for me to stick with Jamestown. I think any of the three options are good. Just depends on what works best for you time, DIY initiative and pocketbook.

I also bought my frame from Jamestown, however I bought my Centerstage XD directly from Seymour. Saved me a little bit of money, although I did have to cut the screen tabs myself - which was pretty intimidating.

I personally thought the quality of the Jamestown screen was fine, and when pricing the materials to build my own, the Jamestown price was too good to pass up. Still performing perfectly after a few months.
post #190 of 534 Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I did a 120" wide screen for my theater, and was going to go with a Jamestown frame/Seymour XD screen combo. The problem started in that Jamestown is about 2 weeks out from order to shipment, and he doesn't always stock the Seymour screen material (as in my case) and Seymour was delayed a couple of weeks too. I asked if my order with Jamestown could at least get put into queue so that when the material arrived, it would get built right away, and was told "no" that it would get added to the end of the current queue of other orders. Not cool.

So i ordered the material right from Seymour, built my own frame while I was waiting, and put the fabric on the frame in about 30 minutes after it arrived. Screen was hung about 30 minutes after that (I hadn't put the z-channel up yet to hang the frame since I didn't want it in the way as I wrapped the fabric.

Hopefully you guys wil have better luck, but before you plan on watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade on a giant screen ( biggrin.gif ) I wanted you to be aware that there might be delays.

Not knocking the product at all, but just the method of how they operate.
post #191 of 534 Old 10-31-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback Brian and Nick. I was aware of the ordering to shipping time that folks on here have run into before I made my decision, so no one to blame but myself if it takes even longer than I expect. I almost pulled the trigger on it 2 weeks ago, but didn't for some reason. Oh well. If that's the only thing that prevents me from meeting my deadline, I'll be a really happy camper!
post #192 of 534 Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
^^thanks guys for the quick responses! Sounds like lots of options depending on timing and pocketbook!

post #193 of 534 Old 11-02-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finished wiring up the riser tonight. Tomorrow I build the steps, put the insulation in and seal 'er up. Then we'll see how far I can get with the stage...
post #194 of 534 Old 11-10-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Riser is done except for the holes for the bass trap. I don't have the register covers yet, so kept that on the to do list for now. Here's proof that I actually accomplished something over the last week.

Wiring and steps done.
IMG_3801.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

Insulation in
IMG_3804.jpg

Deck on
IMG_3805.jpg

Stage is next...
post #195 of 534 Old 11-10-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Looks good. Is it too late to add step lights to the face of the lower steps?
post #196 of 534 Old 11-10-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Spaceman. I considered step lights on the bottom, but decided to just go with lights above the steps. I probably could still add them on the face of the steps, but I don't think they are necessary.
post #197 of 534 Old 11-11-2012, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I also thought about lower step lights but also opted to omit them.

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #198 of 534 Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The flaming wallet syndrome continues. After much research and deliberation, I ordered the Onkyo TX-NR809 AVR from Amazon today. TX-NR809

This is my first new AVR in probably 8 years or so, and my first non-Sony AVR. Going to be tough waiting a few more weeks until I can fire it up.

Two more big items to go. Sub (HSU VTF-3 MK4) and projector (Panasonic PT-AE8000U). Hopefully there will be some good Black Friday-ish sales in the next few weeks...
post #199 of 534 Old 11-18-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I could use a little stage advice. I worked on the stage this weekend, and have everything done but the curve and step. This would be the "AVS Stage" design that is very popular on here. I am having trouble figuring out the depth of the step and arc of the curve. Here is what the stage looks like currently.

IMG_3818-Copy.jpg

Here are the dimensions.

Overall width - 12'4"
Center width (between the 45's) - 7'7"
Depth of middle - 3'
Depth of sides - 4'4"

I was thinking the depth of the step and curve at the center would be 18" total. That would mean the step would protrude into the room 2" farther than the side of the stage. I could simply have the middle of the stage height curve be 9" deep and the step be 9" deep. Or go 8" and 10" respectively. Or do something else that may be suggested on here.

I have a bit of analysis paralysis at the moment, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
post #200 of 534 Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I could use a little stage advice. I worked on the stage this weekend, and have everything done but the curve and step. This would be the "AVS Stage" design that is very popular on here. I am having trouble figuring out the depth of the step and arc of the curve. Here is what the stage looks like currently.
IMG_3818-Copy.jpg
Here are the dimensions.
Overall width - 12'4"
Center width (between the 45's) - 7'7"
Depth of middle - 3'
Depth of sides - 4'4"
I was thinking the depth of the step and curve at the center would be 18" total. That would mean the step would protrude into the room 2" farther than the side of the stage. I could simply have the middle of the stage height curve be 9" deep and the step be 9" deep. Or go 8" and 10" respectively. Or do something else that may be suggested on here.
I have a bit of analysis paralysis at the moment, so any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

it is easier then you think i thought it was hard at first ... here i how i did mine
start from the middle and figure out how pronounced you want the curve and take the piece of plywood your going to use and start from the middle and have someone hold it and then bend it towards the outer edge and eyeball what think will look good... then just cut the middle support and the outer end support then fill the middle it starting with long pieces working you way down maintaining the curve you wanted... then you just duplicate it for the other side
notic in mine the curve is two pieces joined in the middle

hope this helps
IMG_4730.jpg
post #201 of 534 Old 11-18-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks snickers. That makes sense. Is that 1/4" plywood that you used for the curve or thicker?
post #202 of 534 Old 11-18-2012, 06:15 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:

Thanks snickers. That makes sense. Is that 1/4" plywood that you used for the curve or thicker?

3/8 is what i used ... i think you can even go with 1/2 inch

by the way your stage looks great so far ..... check out my thread post #111 i have the jig that bigmouthindc showed all of us how to make when your ready to cut the top of your stage
also word to wise i picked up nice jig saw that makes cutting it much easier ....cheap saw makes you cut very hard ... i picked up this one and it made huge difference in my cuts
http://www.lowes.com/pd_305666-353-4495-02_0__?productId=3980317&Ntt=skil+jigsaw&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dskil%2Bjigsaw&facetInfo=

there is nicer ones out there but $$$ this one has served my well so far....
post #203 of 534 Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks again. 3/8 should work. The easier the bend the better for me. I've been itchin to make that little jig, and I'm almost to that point. I'll have to re-visit your thread to get a closer look again. Thanks for the jigsaw link. I have a Black and Decker Firestorm that has worked pretty well for me. Like you said, there are plenty out there that cost more, but this one works well so far.
post #204 of 534 Old 11-18-2012, 06:32 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:

Thanks again. 3/8 should work. The easier the bend the better for me. I've been itchin to make that little jig, and I'm almost to that point. I'll have to re-visit your thread to get a closer look again. Thanks for the jigsaw link. I have a Black and Decker Firestorm that has worked pretty well for me. Like you said, there are plenty out there that cost more, but this one works well so far.

the one i replaced was a black and decker but it was a few years old and not the firestorm .... you will know right way when your try to make the cut smile.gif ...
keep you the good work it is looking great so far
post #205 of 534 Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've had it for a couple years, and so far I've mostly gone throught 1/4"-3/4" material (plywood, MDF, OSB...). The good thing is that it's corded, so I can crank up the speed and the cuts are nice and smooth. Haven't gone through 2 layers of 1/2" yet. Better pick up a new blade for that biggrin.gif
post #206 of 534 Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:

I've had it for a couple years, and so far I've mostly gone throught 1/4"-3/4" material (plywood, MDF, OSB...). The good thing is that it's corded, so I can crank up the speed and the cuts are nice and smooth. Haven't gone through 2 layers of 1/2" yet. Better pick up a new blade for that biggrin.gif

you mean two layers of 5/8 ? top stage needs be solid as rock ..... full of sand of coarse . stage=$$$$ the money we spend to fulfill a dream smile.gif
post #207 of 534 Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

19/32" is what I have, not sure why I said 1/2". Also not sure why they have screwy dimensions like 19/32"! I'm sure there's a reason, but 5/8 is much easier math tongue.gif

Yeah, the $$$ and the ridicule. I explained to the Mrs about the sand that would be on the way. Pretty sure she thinks I'm certifiable...
post #208 of 534 Old 11-19-2012, 03:49 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:

19/32" is what I have, not sure why I said 1/2". Also not sure why they have screwy dimensions like 19/32"! I'm sure there's a reason, but 5/8 is much easier math tongue.gif
Yeah, the $$$ and the ridicule. I explained to the Mrs about the sand that would be on the way. Pretty sure she thinks I'm certifiable...

i thought the exact same thing but then you would have to say i need to some 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" instead of i need some 2x4's also tongue.gif
the Mrs has thought i was off my Rocker a few times already ...."why you using that expensive MDF can't you just use normal plywood?" ....... lol!
post #209 of 534 Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 183
The fraction weirdness with the sheet goods is different from the dimensional lumber. I don't know why they make lumber those sizes, but I'm sure there's a historical reason. With the sheet goods, I'm pretty sure it's the big box stores taking advantage of DIYers. The traditional dimensions are still available, but not as easy to find outside a lumber yard or building supply company. If you're selling 15/32" instead of 1/2", you save a little on each one and the average customer thinks "that'll do." And it will do, in general - but it doesn't make it the same.
post #210 of 534 Old 11-19-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Out of curiosity, I searched for a couple minutes regarding why dimensional lumber has the dimensions that it does. Lots of places that said it used to be full dimension, but then was reduced by 4% one year and another 4% a few years later, and then the current standards were set in 1961 or 1964. Couldn't find a why, got board (get it?) and then I lost interest. It is what it is, and I just need to do the math.

I agree on the "that'll do" Fred. Kind of like when Campbell's soup cans went from 12oz to the current 10.5oz size. Instead of raising prices, we'll just put a little less in each can and keep the price the same...rolleyes.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page