About to sheetrock theater room - suggestions on future-proofing (future wire runs) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am about to sheetrock my theater room and my concern is doing everything possible to keep future wiring options open. I have a soffit available - perhaps a fishing wire or something is wise to allow the "future" addition of speaker wire for a new surround format. With insulation in the wall for soundproofing, not sure how easy it will be to fish wire in the future. I can't run conduit "everywhere", but what is the advise to leave the room as "future ready" as possible prior to finishing the walls. I have run extra wire in many places, but it is difficult to think where one may want something to be run in the future.
Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-10-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
In my last theater, I wired for speakers in 16 locations (3 in front, 3 in rear, 3 spots on each side and 4 in the ceiling) and subs in 6 locations (near each corner and in the middle of each side wall). I only ever connected a 7.1 system, but figured I was prepared enough. I also ran cat5 to each location, just in case, and thank goodness I did because I was able to use one pair of wires to extend my Wii IR bar from the equipment room to the theater. (this was before the wireless bars came out.)

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #3 of 4 Old 03-10-2012, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to prewire my theater as well and thinking about future proofing. I'm staring with a 5.1 system but will be running wire for 7.2, plus a couple of Cat5 runs. I can see myself dropping in at least 2 more speakers.

Pre-wiring for 16 locations is crazy. Hats off to you! Talk about being prepared.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-10-2012, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
To the OP...

- run bi-wire to the front 3 speakers, even if you never use it you have redundancy if you need it

- if you have a front-to-back soffit put in as large a conduit as you can with pull string in it, you never know if the next video standard we get will have a connector even bigger than this HDMI ridiculousness

- at least one "extra" pull of RG6 to each of the corners of the room to use as a line-level sub signal conductor, gives you flexibility in placement if you change things up or decided to go dual-subs

- CAT6 extras, in my opinion you can never have too many, I pulled 6 drops to my "office" thinking it would be overkill and I have ended up using 5 of them, just about anything can be put on CAT6 via a balun and the wire is so cheap in the first place

Just my opinion based on wiring my house in a retrofit fashion.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page