AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

...It is doing a lot better as of yesterday morning

Oh that's good. I was a little concerned; because I hadn't read the nature of the injury I was scanning the photos for blood splatter. Power tools are dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 344 Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

For those concerned with my thumb...It is doing a lot better as of yesterday morning

Until I was putting wire staples in and missed with the hammer but didn't miss my thumb.

Quote:

... and now I have a new tool holding slot in my ladder

Pictures or it didn't happen...

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #93 of 344 Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Pictures or it didn't happen...

The hole on the left is not supposed to be there

post #94 of 344 Old 06-04-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Green Glue, Acoustical Sealant, and Putty Pads are here

They're hanging out with the Seaton Submersive...I figure they should make friends
post #95 of 344 Old 06-07-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

They're hanging out with the Seaton Submersive...I figure they should make friends

Good plan, and good pictures to boot.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #96 of 344 Old 06-09-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Ahhhh. I remember the day green glue arrived. Seems like it was only yesterday. smile.gif
post #97 of 344 Old 06-09-2012, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Ahhhh. I remember the day green glue arrived. Seems like it was only yesterday. smile.gif

I hope my progress moves as fast as yours did/does

I am about 90% through electrical....in the basement....theater should be quick to wrap up so I am thinking a few hours this week and I should be ready for inspection.

Tough part is I am using an existing circuit so once I cut the power off I'll have no lights other than extension cords
post #98 of 344 Old 06-09-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Spoke to my building inspector this week, he insisted on Thermafiber SAFB for my fireblocking. He wasn't high on Roxul which it seems everyone sells around here.

Anyway, I found one place that stocked it locally but their hours were 6AM to 5PM M-F so Friday morning at 6 the wife and I went to pick it up. I showed up in my Pontiac Trans Am ordered the 2 bags of Thermafiber thinking they were the size of Roxul bags. Handed the guy on the forklift my order and he asked me how I am taking it home to which I replied in my car. He let out a good laugh and said I'll bring it right to the car.

Well turns out the bags are quite a bit bigger than Roxul bags eek.gif
After fumbling around for 10 minutes I realized the only way I was getting it home would be with the hatch open...Oh well that was a fun ride home cool.gif

Next time I'll bring my wife's convertible G37; top down works wonders for transporting large items biggrin.gif
post #99 of 344 Old 06-09-2012, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You definitely should have had pics of this. frown.gif

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

post #100 of 344 Old 06-10-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Spoke to my building inspector this week, he insisted on Thermafiber SAFB for my fireblocking. He wasn't high on Roxul which it seems everyone sells around here.
Anyway, I found one place that stocked it locally but their hours were 6AM to 5PM M-F so Friday morning at 6 the wife and I went to pick it up. I showed up in my Pontiac Trans Am ordered the 2 bags of Thermafiber thinking they were the size of Roxul bags. Handed the guy on the forklift my order and he asked me how I am taking it home to which I replied in my car. He let out a good laugh and said I'll bring it right to the car.
Well turns out the bags are quite a bit bigger than Roxul bags eek.gif
After fumbling around for 10 minutes I realized the only way I was getting it home would be with the hatch open...Oh well that was a fun ride home cool.gif
Next time I'll bring my wife's convertible G37; top down works wonders for transporting large items biggrin.gif

Where was the place that had the stuff?

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #101 of 344 Old 06-10-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Where was the place that had the stuff?

Right by you tongue.gif

Kamco in Paterson

I called on Thursday asking the price of Thermafiber and the lady told me $0.39 a sq ft.
When I showed up and told the lady at the register Friday morning I was quoted $0.39 she said "I don't know what hell they were thinking when they told you that"

I guess I got a good price cool.gif

By the way, there is a place in Paterson (not Kamco) that has OC703 for $7.50 a panel. A bit expensive I think?
post #102 of 344 Old 06-10-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam View Post

You definitely should have had pics of this. frown.gif

If I didn't have to hurry for work l would have taken them mad.gif
post #103 of 344 Old 06-10-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another weekend has passed...

On Saturday I finished up a bit more electrical. I have the theater electric to do, but that should be relatively easy. I am hoping to have electric complete this week and wrap up any plumbing odds and ends I have in order to prepare for inspection next week.

My father in law and uncle in law came over on Sunday to help me build one of the soffits in the theater. This soffit is wrapped around the home's support beam so it'll be enclosed in 3/4 OSB, GG, and 5/8 sheetrock. No penetrations so it should be soundproof. I wanted to put an HVAC vent in it but everytime I thought about it I would be introducing a big fanking opportunity. In addition I fireblocked the basement with the Thermafiber SAFB. The stuff is really dusty but I enjoyed working with it.

06-10-12Fireblocking007.jpg

06-10-12Fireblocking008.jpg

06-10-12Fireblocking009.jpg

06-10-12Fireblocking010.jpg

06-10-12Fireblocking011.jpg

06-10-12Fireblocking012.jpg

06-10-12Fireblocking013.jpg

06-10-12Fireblocking014.jpg

06-10-12Fireblocking015.jpg

06-10-12Fireblocking016.jpg
post #104 of 344 Old 06-10-2012, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Awesome progress!
post #105 of 344 Old 06-10-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs691919 View Post

Awesome progress!

Thank You, its been a ton of work but I feel like I am getting closer to inspections and I'll feel good once I am done with that.

I got another quote of $3950 for drywall install and finish:rolleyes: My uncle said when I pass inspections that he will have his guy come by and give me a quote so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Once drywall is done, I am going to shift most of my attention to the theater. My goal is to finish by the Jets 1st away game (we're season ticket holders so I host the away games)
post #106 of 344 Old 06-10-2012, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey, maybe if you start "Tebowing", you'll make even faster progress! wink.gif
post #107 of 344 Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

Another weekend has passed...
On Saturday I finished up a bit more electrical. I have the theater electric to do, but that should be relatively easy. I am hoping to have electric complete this week and wrap up any plumbing odds and ends I have in order to prepare for inspection next week.
My father in law and uncle in law came over on Sunday to help me build one of the soffits in the theater. This soffit is wrapped around the home's support beam so it'll be enclosed in 3/4 OSB, GG, and 5/8 sheetrock. No penetrations so it should be soundproof. I wanted to put an HVAC vent in it but everytime I thought about it I would be introducing a big fanking opportunity. In addition I fireblocked the basement with the Thermafiber SAFB. The stuff is really dusty but I enjoyed working with it.
06-10-12Fireblocking007.jpg
06-10-12Fireblocking008.jpg
06-10-12Fireblocking009.jpg
06-10-12Fireblocking010.jpg
06-10-12Fireblocking011.jpg
06-10-12Fireblocking012.jpg

Good progress, and I love the stop sign soffit!

I know code varies from place to place, so take this for what it is worth. In my area, if you have electrical wiring running below the joists (like in the pics above), it has to be in conduit. It may be different out there for you, but I thought I would mention it since you are getting inspections...
post #108 of 344 Old 06-19-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Good progress, and I love the stop sign soffit!
I know code varies from place to place, so take this for what it is worth. In my area, if you have electrical wiring running below the joists (like in the pics above), it has to be in conduit. It may be different out there for you, but I thought I would mention it since you are getting inspections...

Thanks for the heads up. The wiring pictured there are from the builder so I assume it should be good to go. I don't think finishing the room should make me put it in conduit nor is it even possible at this point.
post #109 of 344 Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Running to Lowes

I need another 25ft of 12-2 Romex and another 250ft of 14-2...I'll have plenty of 14-2 left over (around 175') but buying in smaller rolls is not worth it.

So far I have gone through 500' of 14-2 and 250' of 12-2 with about 100' of 14-3 eek.gif
post #110 of 344 Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 63
NEC 334.12(C) requires that the cables be run through holes bored in the joists or be secured to running boards at the bottom of the joists. Just wanted to validate what GWCR said. It probably should not have passed, but it's really not a big deal as long as you don't hang your wardrobe from the cables (thus the requirement for a running board...)

Tim
post #111 of 344 Old 06-19-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

NEC 334.12(C) requires that the cables be run through holes bored in the joists or be secured to running boards at the bottom of the joists. Just wanted to validate what GWCR said. It probably should not have passed, but it's really not a big deal as long as you don't hang your wardrobe from the cables (thus the requirement for a running board...)
Tim

Oh wait, are you referring to the gray service cables attached to the support beam or the yellow and white wire running down the middle of the basement?

If the yellow and white, that is stupid Fios and Cablevision running through my basement to the next 3 units. If the inspectors say anything about this I am calling Fios and Cablevision and telling them to get that garbage out of my house. It has given me a headache enough strapping them to the ceiling making them nice and clean instead of hanging down the center of my basement. Not to mention I am doing an extra layer of OSB to create a channel for it.
post #112 of 344 Old 06-20-2012, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The white (or they look white) cables about 2 feet from the beam, stapled across the bottom of the joists. If it's FIOS or data cable, all is well smile.gif

Tim
post #113 of 344 Old 06-20-2012, 04:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Do you have photos showing the Fios/Cablevision cables prior to your "cleaning up" their sloppy work? I hope you do.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #114 of 344 Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

The white (or they look white) cables about 2 feet from the beam, stapled across the bottom of the joists. If it's FIOS or data cable, all is well smile.gif
Tim
Yes those are Fios and Cablevision so I am all set. They are attached via zip ties (the ones with the screw hole for securing) The one picture in front of the Stop Sign Soffit with the wire nutted Romex is my ghetto junction box. All that wiring is coming down, in there for now so I have some lighting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

Do you have photos showing the Fios/Cablevision cables prior to your "cleaning up" their sloppy work? I hope you do.

There are 3 stages to Fios/Cablevision mess. The 3 sets of cables are for the 3 townhomes conncected to mine

Stage 1 is when I first moved in they were literally hanging down the center of my basement. I don't recall if I have this picture but when Fios came to install my service they apologized for the mess and "cleaned it as best he could" Stage 2 is where they cleaned it up but this was essentially strapping them to the ceiling joists about a foot over from where I have them now. This I'm pretty confident I have a picture of.

Stage 3 is where I have them now, I moved them over a foot because it is a straight shot to my neighbors units without unnecessary turns as was the "cleaned up version" of Stage 2. Fios/Cablevision were not smart enough to bore the holes between units in the corner or somewhere inconspicuous but instead they went about 2' to 2 1/2' off the support beam.

I've been in the other 5 end units in my development and it seems like whoever ran the cable was just lazy and happened to be REALLY lazy when he/she did mine. I'm pretty meticulous about my work and this has been driving me crazy for quite a while. In addition they did a good number on the TJI to get the cables in from the outside. I don't know how the building inspector passed it but they cut about a 2" vertical by 15" horizontal opening in the lower 1/3rd of the TJI eek.gif Even worse opening in my neighbors home eek.gif

Well now that I am a little flustered thinking about the whole thing here is the picture AFTER Fios cleaned up the wires. 2Dipippo002-1.jpg
2Dipippo004.jpg
Not bad but you can see the 45* turn near the end. I just straightened it out. The 2nd pic with the "excess" I just placed in my neighbors home. They don't have a basement and it is crawlspace from my understanding.
post #115 of 344 Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looking back on old photos...what the heck was that yellow and white cable for and where is it? (the ones hanging down in the pictures) rolleyes.gif
post #116 of 344 Old 06-20-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

All right. You can contact the FIOS and Cablevision people ... not their subcontractors who actually do the installs. (They potentially owe you rent for running wires through your unit.).

None-the-less, they have improperly installed the cables and improperly installed them below the ceiling joists preventing your free and unemcumbered use of your home (ie, you cannot install drywall to the joists with their wiring installed that way). Your request would be to give them 10 days to correctly install the cable or you will cut and remove them (don't really do the cut/remove part without advice from your attorney). Hopefully, there is nothing in your purchase agreement providing them a "right of way" through your basement. In any case, their internal standards would not allow their subcontractors or employees to install cables that would adversely impact the use of, or finishing, of your basement.

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #117 of 344 Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All right. You can contact the FIOS and Cablevision people ... not their subcontractors who actually do the installs. (They potentially owe you rent for running wires through your unit.).
None-the-less, they have improperly installed the cables and improperly installed them below the ceiling joists preventing your free and unemcumbered use of your home (ie, you cannot install drywall to the joists with their wiring installed that way). Your request would be to give them 10 days to correctly install the cable or you will cut and remove them (don't really do the cut/remove part without advice from your attorney). Hopefully, there is nothing in your purchase agreement providing them a "right of way" through your basement. In any case, their internal standards would not allow their subcontractors or employees to install cables that would adversely impact the use of, or finishing, of your basement.

Thanks Dennis,

I looked into this to some degree and the building contractor has the right to use the units to provide service to other units. I forget the exact language but something to this affair is in there. I’ll take a look at it again because it really is cumbersome to me and my layout.

Would be nice if I could be paid, I could make a fortune because I have the next 3 units electric service and gas lines coming through my house. The service lines are the gray lines attached to the support beam and the gas lines are attached on the opposite side of the support beams.

Every contractor I brought in for quotes on either drywall, plumbing, HVAC, or electric has been shocked to see this.

I will give them a call because at one end of the basement I would have to build a mini soffit because the cables are not flush with the ceiling.
post #118 of 344 Old 06-20-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

While they may have the right, that right is "reasonable" meaning the installation of those lines cannot interfer, or add cost to, your enjoyment of your unit. The power and gas lines ... installed to prevent you from installing sheet rock/finishing your basement? The key to your case is the quality of the original installation. It wasn't right - by a long shot - and their fix wasn't really a fix either.

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #119 of 344 Old 06-20-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While they may have the right, that right is "reasonable" meaning the installation of those lines cannot interfer, or add cost to, your enjoyment of your unit. The power and gas lines ... installed to prevent you from installing sheet rock/finishing your basement? The key to your case is the quality of the original installation. It wasn't right - by a long shot - and their fix wasn't really a fix either.

Agreed the cable and fios lines are done poorly and do block me from doing work. The gas and electric are not causing an issue because I am building a soffit around it anyway. The electric is a little bit of a pain because I want to have 1 duct in there but I'll be able to squeeze the duct in there and all should be fine. I may have to slide the electric a little higher and lower. I may do a little shifting of those service cables tonight to pick up an extra inch or so where I need it.
post #120 of 344 Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No picture updates but Saturday was a nice progress day

I wrapped up the plumbing and electrical is 98% roughed in. Just need to fix up the switch boxes and run 14-3 instead of 14-2 to the switched outlet for the star ceiling outlet (wasn't thinking straight). I also called the town inspectors and Thursday the plumbing inspector is coming and Friday electrical inspector will come.

Also spoke to both Cablevision and Fios and both are sending technicians this week to fix the cable issues Dennis and I have been talking about. Dennis a big thank you for motivating me to call them. I was very nice to them on the phone and told them I just want it done right and they both agreed to come this week and fix the issue. I didn't ask for compensation or mention I would cut the wires so I am putting faith in them to do what is right.

If all goes well I will schedule framing inspection for next week and start hanging OSB. Now that I am to this stage, what do I need to get into my walls before it is locked down?

Besides:
audio cables to speaker locations
CAT5 to network locations and projector
Coax cable to possible future sub locations

What else should I run?
Should I do long HDMI runs to the projector? Or go with something like this? Monoprice Extender

I don't want to close up the walls and say oh crap
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page