New Theater Room - who can I hire to design! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-15-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am going to put a theater room in my new house. So, I have all the equipment I need as far as audio video, network, etc. I can program devices to control everything. I have the speakers. What I do not have is a creative mind. I want a room that LOOKS good. Not so much interested in what cables to run where, etc. I want accessories to dress up the walls, floor, etc.

So, I figured this was what a home theater designer did. Contacted a bunch in the Dallas area, and come to find out, they don't bother with you unless they are doing it all, installation, progamming, hardware, you name it. And 6 figures as well.

I don't want that. So, is there another type of professional I should be looking at perhaps? Is there such a thing as a home theater interior decorator for example?

Not sure where to go with my needs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
www.erskine-group.com

post #3 of 9 Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
+1

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #4 of 9 Old 03-15-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If it is just a decorator you want, find a theater room on this forum that you like and copy the colors / decor. An interior decorator is likely not going to understand the colors required for good image quality or the aesthetic considerations for sound quality.

I don't know of many theater designers that would tackle just the decor as everything (equipment, room, decor) needs to work together for a truly great theater.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-15-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Stockmonkey2000 - Yes, as I said I noticed that. Of course, what you said is your opinion, I do not agree for ME. However, I do respect your opinion as well as I am sure that's right for you and perhaps 99% of others. A truly great theater for me is what I have, only decorated well. I am sure that's much different than many here's opinion, and that's fine. Neither is correct. I have my own needs and desires, and, am just looking for the right sort of professional who can help ME (not anyone else). I am not spending 6 figures, or even 5 figures. I can handle all of the rest of the room myself, not a problem. I just am terrible at decorations. There's no way I would pay someone else to do the stuff I can do myself.

I have never seen a room I have liked, spent a lot of time looking, so, clearly, my taste is much different than others tastes. Must be me!

I have sent email to erskine group, will see what they say. The website SAID they would do design only.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-15-2012, 01:42 PM

Liked: 13
If you're just looking for colour/decorating ideas, like stockmonkey said, the forum completed (and ongoing) projects threads are a fantastic resource. Another place I have been able to draw a lot of inspiration from is www.houzz.com which might be worth a look for ideas. If you need more comprehensive "theatre design", see Dennis, as above.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I think what the "design only" on Erksine's website means they will design the room - (ie placement of seats, screen, acoustic treatments ect.). You do the construction. I'll let Dennis speak to that though. If you have never seen a room you like then I'm not sure how any designer is going to help with that. Any designer is going to need some feedback on what you like and do not like. There is so much variety even on this site that I cant imagine not liking anything. If you know what you do not like, you must have some sort of idea what you do like.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Hire Dennis, then fly in Mr. Big to coordinate assembly?

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #9 of 9 Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 PM

Liked: 27
I am in the Dallas area also and hired Dennis to do my room. Best money I spent in the entire house! Highly recommended. You won't regret it.

Here is my room thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339780
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page