Vintage look DIY theatre build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

OK.
Forgive me if this isn't as coherent as I would like but I will be adding to this post as things move along.
Today my carpet is being installed and the seating is in the garage awaiting assembly so it will be all finished in a day or so.
My plan was to have a 1940's or 1950's inspired theatre room when it is finished. You all can be the judge when it is finished to see if it all comes together. I was on a limited budget and did it all myself on evenings and weekends except for the sewing as you will see later.
Well, here goes....
I started with a 22' x 16' unfinished room with a small jog near the entrance door from the hallway. The room was actually longer and narrower at the back due to the placement of my mechanical room so I framed that off and finished it for use as a workout area.
I didn't change the basic footprint of the room as it was left from the previous owners.
I closed off a second entrance where they had framed a storage room and subsequently removed the walls.
I started by framing a wall 3 feet from the back wall where I could walk behind the components and also use for storage.
I don't have any before pics that I can find now.
I then insulated the ceiling and interior walls (including the workout area and mechanical room) with Roxul Safe & Sound insulation.
The pink insulation is on the outside wall with concrete behind that as the basement is a walkout and there are no windows in the room.
I built some speaker boxes to house my speakers so that I could mount them flush with the walls at ear level.
Here are pictures after the wiring has been run and the drywall is up and finished.

I built a header/valance at the front and back of the room where the curtains will be installed later.
I put in a solid door on ball bearing hinges with a self closing spring hinge in the middle so it would be like the old theatres I remember as a kid.
I drywalled the ceiling and then switched gears to install a tin ceiling so I put up plywood over the ceiling drywall.

Then I put on some paint and installed our wall sconces as the dusty part of the job was finished.

I used MDF on the lower walls for the wainscotting and after a major brain cramp figured out my spacing around the room for the stiles and rails.

I then modifed some cabinet boxes to accomodate our old microwave so we could reheat things without running upstairs all the time.

I installed and painted the bezels on some low voltage recessed light above the future counter and threw some paint on the wainscotting.
I then started work on the surround for the tv (Sharp 80"). I decided against a projector for various reasons...

Then onto the tin ceiling installation.

Priming took about 8 1/2 hours with a brush due to the depth of the pattern.

Followed by two colour coats.

Then I installed some panel molding and inserts in the wainscotting to give it the style I was looking for.

Installing the finished cornice was a patience test for sure. It doesn't look like 8 1/2 " wide but coping those corners was not fun.

I went with a "Black Galaxy" granite tile for the counter as the cost for a one piece was ridiculous. I ended up darkening the grout later on so it blended better colour-wise.

I then made some cupboard doors to match the wainscotting in the room.

I finished the component and speaker covers and installed them.

I had to contract out the sewing of the curtains to a friend's wife or I would still be doing them 6 months from now.

Some pictures up on the walls and a popcorn machine ready for the final steps.

I just had the carpet installers show up so I will do an update later on and also plan on giving a cost breakdown in case anybody is looking to do something similar.
Sorry for the long winded post and non colour corrected pictures but I will do better on the final pictures.

I have added a youtube link in my March 19th post for a video of the completed room taken with my iPad.

My Vintage style Home Theatre Build thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1400234/vintage-look-diy-theatre-build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Waiting on the carpet to warm up to room temperature ( it's 32 degrees here).
Here is a cost breakdown for the whole project.
Bear in mind that some of the items I couldn't source locally and that added to the cost.
All prices are in CDN $.
I am sure the building costs here are about double what they would be in the US judging by the DIY shows I watch on TV.

Insulation / Drywall / Compound / Screws = $417.65

Lumber / Sheet Goods = $1004.71

Wiring/ Lighting / Electrical = $496.32

Paint = $480.97

Carpet = $ 3882.56

Tin ceiling = $1699.06

Cabinets / Tile = $444.02

Curtains / Tracks / Fringe / Fabric = $303.68**

Wood trim / Door / Hardware = $ 901.17

Total $9747.58

** We traded a new dishwasher for the curtain fabric so that cut down this cost.

This excludes Seating / Audio & Video / Decorating

I will add some finished pictures later on but I hope this gives you an idea of the cost of a project of this type.

Location will also affect the costs depending on where you live.

I didn't realize how much I spent until I just added up the bills. Oh well.. too late now.
Time to enjoy it soon.

post #3 of 22 Old 03-16-2012, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
good work. sure looks wonderful.
post #4 of 22 Old 03-16-2012, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The finishes look beautiful. Black, gold and red are a classic look. The cornice was definitely worth your effort.

Dale
post #5 of 22 Old 03-16-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
That is a huge LCD! lol

I really like the ceiling. very cool!
jim
post #6 of 22 Old 03-16-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
Here are a couple with the new carpet installed. It looks better in person.
All one of the installers could say was "Wow!"
Mind you I don't know if that was in a train wreck kind of way or a good way...
The colours are hard to capture with my camera for some reason. They seem to turn out purple instead of burgundy.
These are blurry but a little closer to the actual colours.
If you are interested the paint colours are Benjamin Moore Radicchio and Black Panther.
The carpet is Milliken Adonis in Garnet II.

I have to move in the seating in a bit so for now here are a couple to look at.

post #7 of 22 Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 PM

Liked: 17
Absolutely gorgeous!!! You've done a fantastic job. The ceiling came out great!
post #8 of 22 Old 03-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

That looks fantastic. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Home reno pics and Craftsman inspired home theater

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...ome%20Theater/
post #9 of 22 Old 03-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
awesome room. and nice to see you were able to create such a spiffy looking spot on a 4 figure budget.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the comments. I just finished switching out the wall mounted dimmers for black ones and setting up the seats. I'll post pics tomorrow as we have company on the way over.
I figure in total I spent double the 10K when you factor in all the seating and audio/video equipment.
I can only imagine the price tag of some of the beautiful builds I have seen on here. I am happy with this one but am crying a little on the inside after the carpet installer scuffed up some of the walls, baseboards and cabinet doors. More touch up painting for me next weekend..sigh.

post #11 of 22 Old 03-17-2012, 10:25 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

That is a huge LCD! lol

I really like the ceiling. very cool!
jim

My wife's company just purchased one of those to replace a bunch of white boards. I need to go out and look at it, since she tried to let us break it in first, before putting it up for showing a Excel Spreadsheet.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg58 View Post

Thanks all for the comments. I just finished switching out the wall mounted dimmers for black ones and setting up the seats. I'll post pics tomorrow as we have company on the way over.
I figure in total I spent double the 10K when you factor in all the seating and audio/video equipment.
I can only imagine the price tag of some of the beautiful builds I have seen on here. I am happy with this one but am crying a little on the inside after the carpet installer scuffed up some of the walls, baseboards and cabinet doors. More touch up painting for me next weekend..sigh.

Room looks great...I had that happen in my old room and had to do a bunch of touch up as they scuffed up alot of the lower section.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #13 of 22 Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some pictures with the new seats.
I would have gone for a more vintage styled seat but couldn't find one at a decent price point that was comfortable so I decided to go with the Fusion Escapes from Roman.

I didn't want to bump this old thread so for those that are interested here are some November 3, 2012 updated photos:

Here is a close-up shot of the carpet design

Some pictures of the entrance door and hardware

New enclosures and speaker covers for front tower speakers

I framed some vintage items for decoration to go along with the posters and photos

A 1937 Map of the Hollywood stars homes and some items from my wife's family.

Here is a youtube video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcWzQAx6asY

post #14 of 22 Old 11-25-2012, 05:21 PM

Liked: 13
Great build, I love it!
post #15 of 22 Old 12-12-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Very cool room!! Is this where your new THT is going to live?

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #16 of 22 Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Yes. I put it behind the television area so the sound comes through the curtained openings. I will take a pic of its location later today. Thanks.

post #17 of 22 Old 12-13-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg58 View Post

Yes. I put it behind the television area so the sound comes through the curtained openings. I will take a pic of its location later today. Thanks.

Awesome. So is it replacing the SVS sub or and addition to? I'd be curious to hear your comparison between the two subs.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #18 of 22 Old 12-13-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Well my preliminary findings are that the THT is clearer, louder and tighter than the SVS which surprised me. It blends very well with my towers and surrounds after calibrating with Audyssey MultEQ. I did bump the subwoofer trim 6 dB but you can see in the picture how low the gain is turned down to get great sound.
Here are some pics in the garage and once in place behind the television. It sits 18" from the safe front which is the boundary wall.

I don't know why the images are sideways for some reason. I rotated them in photobucket before posting. Hmmm. You will get the idea though.

post #19 of 22 Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

That's great news. I'm hoping next year a can pop for an AVR with MultEQ. My current one is 10 years old rolleyes.gif

I was looking at SVS very seriously when I bought my Adire Audio Rava in high school. I went with the Rava for budget reasons, but I've heard really good things about SVS so if it out performs those at all that's pretty impressive for the modest investment.

How wide did you end up making your THT? Since I'm using a 12" driver anyway, I think I'm going with a 24" cab so I can minimize lumber usage and maximize cabinet size...but yours looks wider than the 24"?

Shades of Grey Theater

post #20 of 22 Old 12-13-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

I had the room and it was going to be out of sight so I made mine the 36" (max) size. You will be fine with the 24" version especially if you are having it in your room in plain sight. They are large to have to look at when they are in a room. I have my SVS shut off for now until I can see how my room reacts with the THT. If I get a chance to equalize it (if it even needs it) I will probably sell the SVS which I just bought 2 months ago. You won't believe the low frequency pressure wave you get from some LFE detail in some movies. I am sure it is the equivalent of running dual subs in my room now in that regard. You won't be disappointed in any event, trust me.

post #21 of 22 Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg58 View Post

I had the room and it was going to be out of sight so I made mine the 36" (max) size. You will be fine with the 24" version especially if you are having it in your room in plain sight. They are large to have to look at when they are in a room. I have my SVS shut off for now until I can see how my room reacts with the THT. If I get a chance to equalize it (if it even needs it) I will probably sell the SVS which I just bought 2 months ago. You won't believe the low frequency pressure wave you get from some LFE detail in some movies. I am sure it is the equivalent of running dual subs in my room now in that regard. You won't be disappointed in any event, trust me.

Awesome. My will be out of site (behind a screen wall) but I've got limited space back there. Its a tight fit with the towers (plus theres a fireplace mantel) I think 24" is going to be maxing it anyway.

Did you use the Dayton 15" for the driver? I can't wait to get mine built!!! Thanks again for all the tips!

Shades of Grey Theater

post #22 of 22 Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

I used the Dayton 15" DVC driver that was on sale for $99 and powered it with the Bash 300w plate amp which is more than enough to drive two THTs. I just built a housing for the plate amp that sits near the THT so I wouldn't have another potential air leak source if I were to build it into the back of the THT. I found that I used 4 sheets of 4 x 8 plywood to build this size version and there wasn't all that much left over. Download and use the Cutlist program to lay out your cuts and it will save you time and maximize your materials. It is very simple to use. I went through a large and small tube of PL for this project as well.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page