Attic Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 434
I have been tossing around ideas for awhile now for a dedicated HT build or a media room in my home, but I don't have a basement. It is rare to find basements here because we are along the shoreline, if you dig a basement, you get an indoor pool . I have thought about adding on or redoing the den and million other things, but it finally hit me that I could probably put it in the attic! To add I am no Tim Taylor, but looking in the attic, we have a truss type system and I would like to know if it is possible to rip it out and reinforce it with knee walls or something else? I believe it is done this way because of Hurricanes. Is it possible that I could tear it all out and begin my build, or will it be a structural problem? I found pictures on another site and these are the same type trusses! Thanks for any input! There are comments in the thread, but if anyone has any expertise with these type of strong back trusses, I would appreciate any opinions.

http://www.construction-resource.com...ad.php?p=45343

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 217
You want Attic...

You have Attic...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1019005

There you go Attic...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #3 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I would heed the warnings in the linked thread. My wife is an engineer and nothing sets her of more than one of her customers wanting to load up an attic built with trusses. Trusses are designed with a specific load in mind. I have 2x8 floor joists in my house and the floor still has some bounce to it, if the kids are jumping around. I can't imagine what a 2x4 floor joist would look like after having a second floor applied to it. Be careful.

"Welcome to the Bunker Cinema"

post #4 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah, I think you would need an engineer to redesign the structure. I don't know whether it would be practical to do without taking off the roof, but an engineer could probably help you figure that out.

You might also want to think about how you would handle HVAC for the new space. HVAC in a theater is always a challenge. The challenge seems bigger for an attic-to-theater conversion.

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

post #5 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hmmm.. Read the linked to thread? You get the engineer to sign off on it and I'm good with it.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Any modification of a truss requires a registered design professional to sign off on it. You can't even drill a hole for wiring in them.

They may have been designed for additional storage load, as I notice there is plywood flooring and a light. Typically this is not allowed to be installed unless it is designed as such. However, that's just a guess. Your building department may have the truss specs on file. A RDP may be able to trade the storage load for additional ceiling load-- or maybe not. Trusses are way more complicated than they look.

The other option would be an independent ceiling, which would requires at least a 2x8 (select, if you can even find it).

7.25" engineered lumber would most likely work, but you'd need a RDP to tell you that.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #7 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Thanks for all the replies guys.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #8 of 8 Old 12-18-2012, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page