post #92 of 146 Old 05-23-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

With the miter saw, make some practice cuts on scrap molding and make sure you're cutting in the right direction. It is a bit confusing but you'll get the hang of it.

What I did my first time around was cut several template pieces and wrote on them the miter saw settings.

Make sure that you have the crown so that the flats on the crown are flat against the fence and table. Also you cut crown for an outside corner upside down. When you look at an outside corner, notice how the long leg of the crown is at the top. To cut that long leg in a power miter box, place it so the top of the crown is down. For an inside corner, you can square cut one end and run into the inside corner. Then 45 degree cut the other piece and cope it to fit. Here is a video showing how to cope a piece of crown. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aeAVe3fEtwCrown installation is not that hard to do, but a lot of people get mixed up on the cut and make a mistake.

For me the easiest way to install crown is to cope one end and let the other end run square into the corner. Then cope the next piece and butt it into the corner meeting with the square cut piece and let the other end be square cut and run into the next corner. Repeat again until done.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #93 of 146 Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Make sure that you have the crown so that the flats on the crown are flat against the fence and table. Also you cut crown for an outside corner upside down. When you look at an outside corner, notice how the long leg of the crown is at the top. To cut that long leg in a power miter box, place it so the top of the crown is down. For an inside corner, you can square cut one end and run into the inside corner. Then 45 degree cut the other piece and cope it to fit. Here is a video showing how to cope a piece of crown. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aeAVe3fEtwCrown installation is not that hard to do, but a lot of people get mixed up on the cut and make a mistake.

For me the easiest way to install crown is to cope one end and let the other end run square into the corner. Then cope the next piece and butt it into the corner meeting with the square cut piece and let the other end be square cut and run into the next corner. Repeat again until done.

Thanks for that Mike! But you're too late. I have a full head of steam on my build and I've already got the crown up. My first corner didn't square up very well, but the rest did and I'm really happy about my one outside corner. I'm just about done touching up the paint on the crown.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

post #94 of 146 Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

I got the screen fabric installed in the screen frame. The picture below shows the screen lying face down on some sheets on my riser. The Screen Excellence Enlightor4K material comes with a black backing because the screen material is so thin and translucent. When I have the screen mounted on the false wall I'll take some more pictures.

Larry, if you look carefully at the projector shelf you'll see the two 25lbs dumb bells still sitting up there. With the better lighting in this photo, I think you can make out the sturdy center bracket better.

I also finished off the acoustical treatment of the front wall. It's not pretty, but it will all be behind the screen and black velvet panels. May not be easy to make out, but the side wall/front wall corners, ceiling/front wall corner, and floor/front wall corner all have bass traps pretty much along there full lengths. There is loose fluffy insulation behind the Roxul batts.

The JTR T12HTs look happy ensconced in Roxul.

post #95 of 146 Old 05-25-2012, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Looking good if you ask me! I'm going to attempt to put the linacoustic up in a neat maner but dont see it looking "good" by any means.

Every time I check in on your build it makes me wonder why I didnt go with the 12s enstead of the 8s!
post #96 of 146 Old 05-25-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam View Post

I got the screen fabric installed in the screen frame. The picture below shows the screen lying face down on some sheets on my riser. The Screen Excellence Enlightor4K material comes with a black backing because the screen material is so thin and translucent. When I have the screen mounted on the false wall I'll take some more pictures.

Larry, if you look carefully at the projector shelf you'll see the two 25lbs dumb bells still sitting up there. With the better lighting in this photo, I think you can make out the sturdy center bracket better.

I also finished off the acoustical treatment of the front wall. It's not pretty, but it will all be behind the screen and black velvet panels. May not be easy to make out, but the side wall/front wall corners, ceiling/front wall corner, and floor/front wall corner all have bass traps pretty much along there full lengths. There is loose fluffy insulation behind the Roxul batts.

The JTR T12HTs look happy ensconced in Roxul.

Haha yes I see the weights. Looks sturdy enough...Just make sure you put a few 1/2" screws in those brackets to hold the 3/4" wood you have being supported by the brackets

Seriously your captivators will rattle that board off in the 1st 20 min of Thor. Also might want to consider trimming an "edge" on that shelf in case the projector walks forward or sideways it'll be blocked by the "edge". Maybe 1" x 1" trimmed around and dressed up with something like this

I really like nose and cove molding, it really makes a great outside corner

I used the nose and cove here just above the corbel and put it upside down so that it shoots out and butts up to the upside down baseboad molding

post #97 of 146 Old 05-25-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah that might be the greatest screen wall I have ever seen...Looks like 100" thick

post #98 of 146 Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Looking good if you ask me! I'm going to attempt to put the linacoustic up in a neat maner but dont see it looking "good" by any means.

Every time I check in on your build it makes me wonder why I didnt go with the 12s enstead of the 8s!

Trust me, your back thanks you. I work out pretty regularly with weights, but I still have to stoke myself up everytime before I lift these things up onto their stands.

I didn't really bother with being neat (proof is in the pics), I'm too impatient. Also, I did it by myself and those Roxul batts are a little floppy and tear pretty easily.

post #99 of 146 Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Haha yes I see the weights. Looks sturdy enough...Just make sure you put a few 1/2" screws in those brackets to hold the 3/4" wood you have being supported by the brackets

Seriously your captivators will rattle that board off in the 1st 20 min of Thor. Also might want to consider trimming an "edge" on that shelf in case the projector walks forward or sideways it'll be blocked by the "edge". Maybe 1" x 1" trimmed around and dressed up with something like this

I really like nose and cove molding, it really makes a great outside corner

The shelf board is connected by a total of 9 screws, so I hope it's not going anywhere. That is a good idea about putting some trim around the edges of the shelf. It would improve both appearance and safety. I'll be putting the projector and screen up this weekend, I'll see what height trim I can use without obstructing the projection. Thanks for the useful suggestions!

post #100 of 146 Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh yeah that might be the greatest screen wall I have ever seen...Looks like 100" thick

Ha Ha. My wife is calling it the sound wall, instead of the screen wall.

When she saw my plan for the bass traps behind the false wall, she nixed the idea of additional bass traps in the room.

My wife fancies herself an interior designer and though I've had some freedom to do what I want with this room, she has ultimate veto power.

If it was up to me, this room would be completely function over form. We all have to live within certain constraints, I suppose.

post #101 of 146 Old 05-25-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The shelf board is connected by a total of 9 screws, so I hope it's not going anywhere. That is a good idea about putting some trim around the edges of the shelf. It would improve both appearance and safety. I'll be putting the projector and screen up this weekend, I'll see what height trim I can use without obstructing the projection. Thanks for the useful suggestions!

I would have it to the height of the feet on the projector. That should be about 1/2" I would guess...and your wife will like it from a design aspect!

post #102 of 146 Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Now you see it....

Now you don't....

and now with some mood lighting....

post #103 of 146 Old 05-26-2012, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now you see it....

Now you don't....

and now with some mood lighting....

You are quite the magician

I've been on the fence about this in my theater and it may not even be possible due to my screen size and 16:9 ratio, but have you thought about continuing the crown molding for the screen wall? Should be easy to do by connecting it to your panels and in your case with no stage you can wrap baseboard around the screen wall too

post #104 of 146 Old 05-26-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You are quite the magician

I've been on the fence about this in my theater and it may not even be possible due to my screen size and 16:9 ratio, but have you thought about continuing the crown molding for the screen wall? Should be easy to do by connecting it to your panels and in your case with no stage you can wrap baseboard around the screen wall too

My wife actually suggested extending the crown molding along the screen wall at first, but after I put up the panel frames for a test fit, decided against it. Who knows, maybe she will change her mind.

As far as I'm concerned, I like the effect of a big black void with a screen floating in the center. Nothing to distract from the movie viewing experience.

post #105 of 146 Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Next, clean up some of the mess, hook up remaining speakers, install AV equipment in home made rack and start tweaking.

post #106 of 146 Old 05-26-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
That looks great. Nice job.

Is your screen 140" diagonal? How far back are you sitting?

Spaceman Theater Build

post #107 of 146 Old 05-26-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

It's a 140" wide 2.40 aspect screen. It's 58.3" tall and the diagonal is 151.6".

When projecting a 16:9 image, the width will be 103.8" with a diagonal measurement of around 120", if my math is correct.

I'll find out soon if my JVC X70 is up to the task of lighting this up. The room is completely light controlled, when I turn off the lights I can't see my hand in front of my face.

Early on in this build, I projected an image on a wall to determine the size of screen to get. The image looked plenty bright on a tan wall, and this was before the room was completely light proofed. When doing this, we projected Avatar in 16:9, the image was about 110" diagonal, and wife said "this hardly looks bigger than our TV", which is a 73" diagonal Mits. I zoomed the image and she kept saying to go bigger, go bigger.. I finally decided this was the biggest I could go. Did I mention we like a big image?

Our first row seating is going to be 10.5 ft (or 0.9 screen widths). This might be a bit overwhelming for a 2.39 movie, but should be great for 16:9 movies. The second row wil be at 16 ft (or 1.37 screen widths). This should be great for 2.39 movies, but a little less impressive for 16:9 movies. I may end up choosing front or back row depending upon the content and size of the movie.

The sound system is going to be optimized for the front row, so I'm planning on spending most of my time there.

post #108 of 146 Old 05-26-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Looking great - I like the all black wall, and I like your wife's sensibility as far as screen size - mine had to get used to the fairly immersive screen (not quite as big as yours, 136" wide from 12'), but now she's comfortable in the front row.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #109 of 146 Old 05-26-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Looking great - I like the all black wall, and I like your wife's sensibility as far as screen size - mine had to get used to the fairly immersive screen (not quite as big as yours, 136" wide from 12'), but now she's comfortable in the front row.

Thanks Brad,

I found your build when I was researching AT screen material. I drew alot of inspiration from reading your build thread. My theater is quite simple in comparison, but I put it together with the idea that it may all have to be taken down, if required, when we go to sell the house in the next 5 to 10 years. After building the riser so soundly, I'm not looking forward to taking that apart. Hopefully, a buyer will see the theater and decide it's a nice bonus and not a detractor.

post #110 of 146 Old 05-29-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

My theater is 90% done. Besides tweaking sound and image, all that's left is mount some cabinets I'm putting on the back wall, buy and hang drapes, buy dark area rug, and touch up paint. I expect to be fiddling with the audio and video for a while though.

We watched our first movie in the theater on Memorial Day. We watched Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. Pretty fun movie. Projector was bright enough and the picture looked really good. The sound was decent. I have a Denon 4311ci and I changed amp assign after running the audyssey set up, so that defeated the audyssey setup and MultEQ wasn't running during the movie. So the sound wasn't as good as it could be. Plenty loud though and the subs were impressive. My girls gave me a with the first explosion.

post #111 of 146 Old 06-07-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

Been watching movies! smile.gif

My checklist of things to do keeps getting smaller. The wife and I hung the cabinets in the back of the room. It's her job now to fill them with nicknacks. Mainly pillows, throws... nothing that will rattle. I've hung curtains over the sound/light proofed windows and I've touched up the paint. I need to take some updated pictures.

Today, I ordered a dark hallway runner rug that is 16 ft long by 2' 3" wide that I'll lay down just in front of the screen. A poor man's stage? Hoping to reduce any light that's reflecting off my beige carpet back onto the screen. I don't notice any reduced contrast, but I figure it's worth a shot, for the $170 I paid for the rug.

I need to rerun Audyssey since I've made alot of changes to the room since the last time I ran it. The sound quality of the room keeps improving. I'm pretty pleased with where it's at right now. The volume seems limitless.

I've also been messing around with 3D. I've got 4 monster glasses ($50 a pop, one for everyone in my family), a panasonic 3D bluray player (BDT-220), and the JVC X70. I think I've got the glasses tuned in pretty well. Unfortunately, due to the large size of my screen, the 3D is fairly dim. Probably a little dimmer than a cineplex 3D theater. I was expecting that, but still a little disappointing, since my X70 has surpassed my expectations in every other way. I'll probably add a 2nd projector just for 3D, 3D gaming and 2D gaming. It might not be until I get my bonus next year before I'll have funds for a 2nd projector. Hopefully by then there'll be a projector that will fit my needs. Right now I'm only seeing the ACER H9500BD and the BenQ W7000, but because of my throw distance and screen size, I wouldn't be able to fully zoom out the BenQ to fill my scope screen. Anyhow, waiting to buy a second projector will probably be good for my marriage. wink.gif

post #112 of 146 Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam View Post

Been watching movies! smile.gif

biggrin.gif

But can't you at least post a picture of you watching movies? WE NEED PICHERS!

|
|
|
|
post #113 of 146 Old 06-07-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you like the Lutron Spacer system?

post #114 of 146 Old 06-07-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

biggrin.gif
But can't you at least post a picture of you watching movies? WE NEED PICHERS!

Yeah, I think the obligatory "movie image on scope screen shot" will be coming soon. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

How do you like the Lutron Spacer system?

It works perfectly for my simple setup. I control it with the harmony 900 remote (already had codes in data base). I did't have to buy the master controller or separate remote control.

I only have 3 zones - overhead can lights, wall sconces and ceiling dome light. I have setup two scenes (out of 4 possible). I'm trying to think what additional scenes I might need. One scene is "enter theater" which is basically sconces on mid level and dome light on nearly full bright. The second scene is with both sconce and dome lights dimmed considerably. There are non-scene settings for all lights on full and all lights off, so I don't have to create those scenes. I can also dim and brighten the zones at whatever levels I like with the remote. Pretty cool actually.

The only trick that I had to research and find the answer to on the internet, was how to get the dimmers to memorize a scene using only the harmony remote. With the remote that can be bought separately for the spacer system, you simply push scene 1 and hold the button until the spacer dimmer start flashing it's led lights, letting you know it's saved that light setting. With the harmony, if you push the "soft" screen button for scene 1, it sends out a single command, instead of a continous stream of commands. The dimmer won't memorize the scene in response to this truncated signal. To get around this, you have to temporarily assign the "scene 1" command to one of the hard buttons that sends out a continuous command - I used volume. Once the dimmer has saved the scene, then you go back and reassign "scene 1" to one of the screen buttons and reassign volume to the volume hard button. Sounds kind of complicated now that I've written it out, but actually it's not too bad, once you know the trick. I'm pretty fluent with the harmony software, I've owned a harmony one for several years.

post #115 of 146 Old 06-07-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I need to sit down and think about what lighting scenes would be nice - there are really only two that I use, basically dim and full (well, and "off"). I looked for a thread on the subject of setting up multi-zone lighting scenes before, but I don't think I ever found anything. Would be interesting to hear what others do.

Edit: I'll create a thread and see if anyone chimes in.

|
|
|
|
post #116 of 146 Old 06-07-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I need to sit down and think about what lighting scenes would be nice - there are really only two that I use, basically dim and full (well, and "off"). I looked for a thread on the subject of setting up multi-zone lighting scenes before, but I don't think I ever found anything. Would be interesting to hear what others do.
Edit: I'll create a thread and see if anyone chimes in.

I plan on having a fiber optic star ceiling so I will us that to add a scene as well as just screen lights

Besides full on and off I was planning
Stars on -- all lights off
Stars on --stage on full -- sconces dim
....you know what I really can't think of anymore tongue.gif

post #117 of 146 Old 06-07-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
A scene that gives you reading light at the seats, with the rest of the room dark, is always handy.

post #118 of 146 Old 06-08-2012, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Here are the requisite screenshots.

WarHorse-10.jpg

WarHorse-1.jpg

WarHorse-6.jpg

post #119 of 146 Old 06-08-2012, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

There we go, that's more like it. biggrin.gif Proof positive - or you're very handy with Photoshop!

|
|
|
|
post #120 of 146 Old 06-08-2012, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, it's not easy taking pictures in a dark room with a bright subject!

I was using my Dune Smart D1 streamer for these shots and I'm still not convinced it's as clean as my OPPO, but it's pretty good.

I actually think my theater would benefit from 4K at my screen size and viewing distance.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page