post #121 of 146 Old 06-10-2012, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam View Post

I actually think my theater would benefit from 4K at my screen size and viewing distance.

what level do you have the MPC set to? With a large screen and close seating distance, you might want to check out adding in the Darby VP. it's only $250 and makes a noticeable difference with overall image sharpness & depth when combined with the MPC setting at 2 or 3.

There is a dedicated thread in the VP forum, several RS55 owners have it and also like it.

The theater looks great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 Old 06-10-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

what level do you have the MPC set to? With a large screen and close seating distance, you might want to check out adding in the Darby VP. it's only $250 and makes a noticeable difference with overall image sharpness & depth when combined with the MPC setting at 2 or 3.
There is a dedicated thread in the VP forum, several RS55 owners have it and also like it.
The theater looks great!

I haven't calibrated my PJ yet, it only has about 20 hours on it. MPC is set to 2. I like the image it's throwing, but when 4K material becomes available, I'm jumping all over it. I'll check out the Darby VP, never heard of it. I've only seen people using the Lumagen and DVDO processors.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

post #123 of 146 Old 06-12-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I've read the entire thread on the Darblet. It sounds really intriguing, but not quite ready for prime time. HDMI handshake issues, only outputting RGB, weird ergonomics with IR receiver and input/outputs on adjacent sides, having to send in the unit (customer paying shipping charge) for firmware updates that are absolutely going to be needed. I don't like being a beta tester, but I may end up buying one of these once some of the initial bugs are worked out. It sounds like this unit will be useful in my situation - front projection with close seating to a large screen and mainly viewing high quality source material (blu-ray).

I plan on performing calibration on my PJ as soon as I hit 50 hours. Shouldn't be too long at the pace we're watching movies. I'll keep an eye on the Darblet thread and see how things progress.

I'm also doing research to find a more capable 3D projector (to use as a 2nd projector). I have certain requirements that rule out most current projectors. I need the following:

1) Bright enough in 3D to light up my 140" X 58" 2.40 aspect 1.0 gain screen. 10fL ?
2) Minimal ghosting - DLP?
3) Would like to be able to place it on my back wall cabinets, about 2/3 the height of the screen, i.e. vertical lens shift.
4) Need to be able to zoom from 1.78 to 2.40 aspect. Manual zoom is OK. My throw distance is 18 ft max.
5) Minimal lag time, so I can play FPS games. I'm an Xbox player, so I'm not to stringent on this requirement.
6) I've got 4 pairs of MonsterVision 3D glasses and don't want to buy more glasses anytime soon, so DLP link-only projectors are out.

The best fit so far seems to be the Epson 5010, though I'm not sure how well it meets criteria 2 and 5. Reluctant because it's not DLP. It's also a little out of my budget, hoping to spend around $1500 or less. The only DLP projectors that I know I can use the Monster glasses with are Optomas. They don't meet criteria 1, 3 or 4 (I think). Looks like I'll be waiting for a new round of projectors, or for the price of the Epson to fall - or find a refurb.

post #124 of 146 Old 06-12-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 50
How do the Monster glasses work? I'm going to get some for my pj but dont know how the RF works.

Is there some sort of device that plugs into the pj?
post #125 of 146 Old 06-13-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

The monstervision 3D glasses come with an RF blaster. I have the RF blaster directly plugged into the JVC VESA 3D sync port. From there, the RF blaster sends an RF signal to the glasses. For projectors that don't have a VESA port, there is an IR receiver cable that can be used instead of the VESA connector. You would mount the RF receiver directly in front of the 3D IR sender of the projector. The RF blaster would then receive the IR signal and send out an RF signal to the glasses. So the Monster glasses work with projectors that have IR senders for 3D or that have an VESA 3D sync port. They won't work directy with DLP projectors that use DLP link.

post #126 of 146 Old 06-17-2012, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Willscam,

I bought the same sconce and am now having trouble buying the light base fixture for it. Can you recall where you bought yours? Everything I find comes with a decorative sconce attached, but I don't want to pay double for a decorative fixture I'm not going to use.

Thanks!

Leah
post #127 of 146 Old 06-18-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

I got the double bulb fixtures at HD. They were $8 a shot. They did come with a glass shade, I just tossed the shades. I used ceiling mount light fixtures - cheaper then wall mount, and then mounted them on the wall. Here's a link to the fixture.

post #128 of 146 Old 06-25-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Some more photos of room. We've been decorating it with items we've found around the house. The couch and chairs and shelving are what was in the playroom before the transformation took place. We still need to get more nick nacks, pillows, throws, etc. I won't be buying proper seating for the room until next year.

Entry to room, double doors wide open:

View of screen from back row seating. I've added a hallway runner rug in front of the screen:

Looking straight back from screen towards projector. Projector shelf center bracket is screwed into stud, PJ is off center on shelf a little to be centered with screen.
I could use horizontal lens shift, if I really wanted PJ centered on shelf:

Standing in front left corner of room looking back at double door entry/equipment rack.

View of screen from near equipment rack:

Same view with movie paused, the room disappears:

Back row seating, view of movie:

MyMovies running on Dune Streamer, bottom's cut off because I have it zoomed out to 2.40 aspect instead of 1.78:

post #129 of 146 Old 06-25-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Looks great, nice screen shots. I really like the runner rug in front of the screen, adds some nice visual interest.
post #130 of 146 Old 06-25-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Brad. We're enjoying the theater. My daughter had her 15th birthday this weekend and had 7 girls over for a pool party and then they all went up and watched a movie in the theater. They had a blast. I was a little nervous with a bunch of teens up in my new theater...I would have been alot more nervous if there would have been boys too!

post #131 of 146 Old 06-25-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Very nice cool.gif

I'll be looking into an HTPC in about 5 months hopefully biggrin.gif
post #132 of 146 Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Very nice cool.gif
I'll be looking into an HTPC in about 5 months hopefully biggrin.gif

I have a HP Mediasmart server with about 10 TB of storage. I've ripped a little over 100 blurays. I stream them to the theater room and play them through a Dune player. I use My Movies as a my jukebox. I'm very happy with the results. I had originally tried to use my Xbox 360 to play streamed movies and that was a disaster.

post #133 of 146 Old 06-25-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:

I have a HP Mediasmart server with about 10 TB of storage. I've ripped a little over 100 blurays. I stream them to the theater room and play them through a Dune player. I use My Movies as a my jukebox. I'm very happy with the results. I had originally tried to use my Xbox 360 to play streamed movies and that was a disaster.

Have any links to those products?
post #134 of 146 Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

not 100% sure but i don't think hp makes the media smart server but they can still be found, other options are build your own media server there is a forum on here that is dedicated to media pc's if you build your own you can use windows home server 2011 which is dirt cheap 60$ i think, or you can use free nas as operating system. the cool thing with that is it will back your home pc's and mac computers. i personally would like to get my hands on a gnap http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107077, and i would a build a decent media HTPC and run either windows 7 media center again there is a forum here dedicated to to building these i have built one recommended from here and i can do anything with it, i have built a home server and i stream everything to the htpc including mkv files that over 10gig in size without issue, i even have a jail broken apple tv with xbmc running on it and i stream all the content to it 100$ bucks can't beat it (not as reliable as htpc)
post #135 of 146 Old 06-26-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Have any links to those products?

Like snickers1 said, HP went out of the business of selling servers. Windows 8, when it comes out, would probably be your best bet for a robust server OS, it's expected to have expandable storage, something like the drive extender in WHS. Windows Server 2011 is a good reliable server OS as well.

The Dune media player is one of the most reliable and capable media players out there right now. There is a thread devoted to Dune here. Unfortunately Dune raised there prices considerably recently. I'm debating whether or not to get a second unit for my family room. I currently have a Smart D1.

If you look through the Dune thread, there is a ton of information about servers, networks, and all of the available juke boxes. If you're planning on using your iphone or ipad as a control for your system then 10 Muse is a great jukebox. MyMovies, Zappiti, and Yadas are also standard jukebox recommendations.

post #136 of 146 Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Been spending some time tweaking my Harmony 900 remote, so that everything works as expected. I went out of town for a couple of weeks and my wife was able to watch movies in the theater without having to call me for instructions. Mission accomplished! biggrin.gif

Another minor tweak to my room was adding infrared remote control to my LED step light, so that I could turn my riser steplight on and off with a push of a button on my remote. That way my room is completely dark when there is a fade to black, but if someone needs to use the bathroom, I can switch it back on.

Before, with my steplight on, and all other lights off, I could still faintly see the screen, like a dim rectangular apparition on the wall. Now with the steplight turned off, just blackness.

My LED steplight is plugged into an outlet on the wall. My initial thought was to always have it on. Then I stumbled across this. A $6 IR outlet controller. I ran one of my Harmony IR miniblasters to the outlet and presto! I have remote control of the steplight.

Now, I just hope this cheap little device doesn't catch fire and burn down my house. It's not even warm to the touch, so I'm not too nervous at this point. I'll be keeping an eye on it though.

post #137 of 146 Old 09-17-2012, 09:20 AM

Liked: 24
Any update as far as sound with those 11 JTR's? How are the front wides and height? Do they really add a lot the the movie experience?
post #138 of 146 Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

Any update as far as sound with those 11 JTR's? How are the front wides and height? Do they really add a lot the the movie experience?

Really like your theater and you have given me great ideas for when I build a false wall for an AT screen with 3 Triple 8s. Anyways such as the dude above I'd like to hear your impression on using the front height and wides. Thanks man also love all your gear choices.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #139 of 146 Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Any updates??

JBL Pro Cinema
post #140 of 146 Old 02-08-2013, 02:28 AM

Nice HT....

Am looking at Outlaw 7125, connected to my Onkyo TX706 and wanted to see your comments perhaps..

thank you
post #141 of 146 Old 02-11-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments! I've been enjoying my theater immensely and haven't posted in a while. The JTRs are great all around. Very Dynamic, voices from center channel are intelligible. I like to play my movies pretty loud and the JTRs definitely shine. I'm especially impressed with the powered Captivators. They pack quite a punch.

The heights and wides do add alot to the surround experience. There have been a couple of movies where a person who is off screen speaks and the voice comes from the surround speaker and the wide speaker and it sounds a little disjointed, but that has been a pretty rare occurrence and must have to do with the way the sound was mixed.

The outlaw 7125 does what it does perfectly as far as I'm concerned. It drives my LCR and wide speakers without any issues.

post #142 of 146 Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well here's an interesting update. I'm getting divorced and we've had the house on the market since Nov 2012. In that time, we've had about a dozen people come through to see the house. Our house is on the high end of the market ~ $1 million, and houses in this range have been taking up to a year to sell. But now, with the recently increased taxes in California, we're seeing alot more movement in the high end segment of the housing market in Las Vegas, as small business owners and other wealthy individuals relocate from California. Thank you California voters! We just got an offer on the house that is contingent on the buyer keeping all of the equipment in the home theater, our pool table, and a couple other items. So that means.... Willscam's Theater Build 2.0.!

First, I will need for this offer to come to fruition, then I will need to find a new house and at that point the build can begin. It may be a few months before I can get around to building a new theater, but it will be a high priority in my new house. Pretty sure I will be sticking with JTR speakers, JVC projector, and Screen Excellence AT 2.37 screen. But, it's been a year and a half since I've looked at equipment, so for now.....let the research begin.

post #143 of 146 Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
post #144 of 146 Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry about the D, keep us posted on anything that might one-up the JTR's or if that's a good level of nirvana
post #145 of 146 Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
hope the sale of your house goes through nicely. sounds like a fresh start is in the works. researching new a/v equipment can drive a person crazy.....in a fun, exciting kind of way wink.gif . good luck!
post #146 of 146 Old 12-21-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Returning to wrap up this thread.

My divorce is nearly final. The house sold in April 2013. The buyer made the purchase contingent upon having the theater remain "as is". We got asking price for the house, but buyer got new JTR speakers & subs and new JVC X70 projector. frown.gif

The buyer has sent me several e-mail's saying how thrilled he is with the theater. Bitter sweet. I thought I'd have a few good years in that theater.

I've bought a new house and have selected a downstairs spare room for a theater. It's 14ft by 16ft with 10ft ceilings, quite a bit smaller than my previous theater. I'm not going to be able to spend as much on equipment, so I'm buying as I find good deals. So far I've purchase a Denon X4000 receiver and a Sharp XV-Z30000 projector. I hope to eventually get a JVC projector for bluray viewing and use the Sharp for gaming, HDTV, and 3D. I'm researching speakers - leaning toward Aperion Verus Grand bookshelf, center and surround speakers - and subs; Outlaws?, Rhythmic? Maybe a sealed JTR S1, that would really be pushing my budget, but after experiencing the JTR captivators, I long for them, like an addiction.... Not sure if I'll do a 5.1, 7.1, or higher surround system... Again, smallish room.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! Hope to hear from you on my new build thread in the near future!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page