Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Current state of Theater:

HT Room June 2012-16.JPG
06/20/12

03/19/12

03/18/12

OK, yeah it's pretty much a mess, but I'm about 3 months in and taking my time. I hope to have it done in another 3 months.

As you can see in the bottom photo, I'm putting in height and wide speakers to make an 11.2 DSX system comprised completely of JTR speakers. 6 Slanted8HT's for side surround, back surround, and height, 2 Single8HT-LP's for wides, 3 Triple12HT's with upgrade compression driver's and Xovers for LCR, and 2 powered Captivators.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 Old 03-19-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

The Theater room is a finished upstairs spare room that we've been using as a playroom for our kids.

Clean out of the room started January 1st 2012. 2012 was the agreed upon year that I could start work on the theater.

Some pictures during the clean up.

Future projector wall and existing goofy family; I did suggest they get out of the picture.

Before: 1/1/2011

After: 6/20/12

HTRoomJune2012-21.jpg

Future screen wall - sliding glass doors are an obstacle:

Before:  1/1/12

HTRoomJune2012-17.jpg

West Wall - Two large windows to contend with:

Before:  1/1/12

HTRoomJune2012-18.jpg

The room is decent size: 16' 9" X 21' 4" X 10'.
The room was recently carpeted along with the rest of the house, it didn't make sense to skip this one relatively small room. So, the carpet stays.

We have decided to forego sound isolation since this room is finished - and already seems to be fairly quiet (insulation in all walls and solid core doors).
Sound leak is mainly through the windows and sliding glass doors.

post #3 of 146 Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Some simple rules for this build:

1) I will always do things the simplest way possible (limited skill set).
2) Minimize physical damage to room.
3) All changes will be reasonably easy to reverse (when selling house).
4) Largest expenses will be in items I can take with me (speakers, PJ, audio equipment).
5) You probably don't want any advise from me - everything I've learned regarding home theater building has come from AVS.

Some featured attractions of this theater:

1) 14" riser with built in Earthquake Sound Q10B shaker (powered by Behringer EPX4000 amp).
2) 11.2 Audyssey DSX system with Denon 4311 AVR, JTR speakers, and Outlaw 7125 amp.
3) 140" wide Screen Excellence acoustically transparent screen (on false wall hiding LCR speakers and 1 sub; 2nd sub is diagonally across room).
4) JVC X70 Projector.

All equipment has been purchased over the two years I've been planning this theater.

post #4 of 146 Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

More Pictures...we all love pictures:

Room cleaned up:

Screen wall:

West wall:

Projector wall, notice taped off screen sizes; just used this wall for testing image size, opposite wall will have AT screen and false wall:

Image projected from JVC X70 looked great projected on this tan wall. I was surprised.

post #5 of 146 Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Painting walls and ceiling:

Back wall and ceiling a dark coffee bean brown:

Side and back wall color are, in person, the color of cooked BBQ sauce. I painted the wall behind the future screen and false wall a dark brown color (same as ceiling)
because, at the time, I was considering the CenterStage XD screen, that may leak some light through, but I ended up choosing the Enlightor 4K that comes with black backing.

Doors and trim painted (left door leads to bathroom; right double door leads to hallway).
I used the same paint on the center portion of the doors that I used on the ceiling.

post #6 of 146 Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

One of the first things I did was begin work on riser (still not nearly completed).

I can build a box!

More advanced box building... I used joist hangers, saw some other people post doing this.

Built the riser in two parts for easier maneuvering. You can see the shaker just sitting on top the riser. Hopefully with the rubber feet under the riser, we'll be able to feel some quaking...

post #7 of 146 Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Next, I started looking at speaker placement and mounting speakers. I couldn't put all of the speakers in ideal locations because of existing doors and windows. So, the side and rear surrounds are a little higher than ideal, but the angled JTR slanted8's help with that. Also, the bathroom door is right at 55 to 60 degrees, so I couldn't put my wide speaker there. I had to short them at around 45 to 50 degrees from MLP.

Back surround speakers:

Height and wide speakers, note problematic bathroom door:

Height securely mounted into ceiling joist using Omnimount:

post #8 of 146 Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Bought some cheap, but sturdy, stands for the Triple12HT's. After moving CDs from two speakers from the top position to the middle position (3rd speaker already had CD in middle position), tweeter height will be close to seated ear level.

New JTR crossovers (hope I'm not divulging in proprietary info):

New compression driver (new - left; old - right):

post #9 of 146 Old 03-19-2012, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Being the cheap guy that I am, I converted some old cabinet/shelving into a rack for my theater by cutting some holes and adding fans and a conduit for cabling.

Test fitting some of my gear:

So, my next step is to get my electrician neighbor buddy over here to help me run some wiring for sconces, lighting for step in riser, and maybe an additional circuit for the room.

After that, I'll be running speaker wire along the ceiling wall junction that I'll hide with crown molding. I'll keep everyone posted.

I've really enjoyed the many hours I've spent reading posts on AVS. Hopefully, this DIY build will reflect some of the things I've learned from you all.

post #10 of 146 Old 03-22-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hey looking good

Regarding your riser, did you just guess where to use 2x6s and where to use 2x10s? I believe there is a theory behind how to do it, but I have no clue what it is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 146 Old 03-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Looking good. That's gotta one killer movie experience with all those JTR's
post #12 of 146 Old 03-22-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Hey looking good

Regarding your riser, did you just guess where to use 2x6s and where to use 2x10s? I believe there is a theory behind how to do it, but I have no clue what it is

2x12s and 2x6s. No theory, didn't realize there was a theory. I just put the 2X12s in the center of each of the two halves. Thought that would distribute the weight best. I'm still deciding whether or not to put grills in the top, so the riser functions as a bass trap. The bottom will be off the floor by 2" b/c of the rubber isolator feet that I'll be putting on for the shaker. Not sure how that would effect any bass trapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

Looking good. That's gotta one killer movie experience with all those JTR's

Thanks! I can't wait to try them all out. So far I've just used the T12s when the room was still a playroom. They were powered by a $200 pioneer AVR. So, never really flexed them. That will change.

post #13 of 146 Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I love the JTR setup. It's so hard to beat.

Though the title was deceiving as I thought you had a real 4K projector. I was a bit disappointed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #14 of 146 Old 03-23-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I love the JTR setup. It's so hard to beat.

Though the title was deceiving as I thought you had a real 4K projector. I was a bit disappointed.

Hmmmmmm. Maybe I'll have to change the title. I was referring to the Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K screen, not the JVC projector.

post #15 of 146 Old 03-23-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 230
You have a very nice space there and another +1 for the JTR stuff.

Can you compare the old CD to the new one?

post #16 of 146 Old 03-23-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Going to be a nice looking theater. I saw the title and was looking forward to finding out what you were going to use for 4k source material.

My perpetual home theater build -
post #17 of 146 Old 03-23-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

You have a very nice space there and another +1 for the JTR stuff.

Can you compare the old CD to the new one?

Frankly, it's going to be difficult to compare. Previously, in the playroom, the T12s were being driven by a Pioneer VSX-921, and the speaker locations were less than ideal. Now the entire room layout is going to be different and the speakers are going to be driven by an Outlaw 7125 from Denon 4311ci preouts.

I did test out the speakers using the 4311 after installing the new CD and Xovers, more or less to make sure my wiring was OK. I actually had to resolder a jumper on one speaker that sounded off (for some reason there was one jumper on the crossovers that Jeff had me solder on, I don't know the reason for that). My soldering skills leave alot to be desired.

Anyhow, the speakers sounded very good, subjectively better than before the transplant, but how much was due to using 4311 vs 921 and how much was placebo effect....I don't know. I still haven't fired up the captivators and I'm REALLY jonesing to do that.

post #18 of 146 Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Plugged windows with Roxul SafeNSound. I found the stuff really easy to work with. Cuts with a serrated knife. Actually fiction fit pretty well, but ended up securing the Roxul in the windows by covering them with canvas drop cloth material. Windows will eventually be hidden with drapes.

Samples of Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K material (left) and CenterStageXD material (right). I ended up going with the 4K material, hopefully future proofing my theater to some degree. The Enlightor 4K is cloth-like (notice the folding pattern from shipping). It is also a touch more grey than the XD material - that is a thicker woven vinyl.

Removing baseboard to run electrical to sconces (had to cut groove at bottom of drywall). Roxul in second window.

Roxul in the windows has considerably cut down sound from outside (I have a pool outside this window with a waterfall and spa). It also serves as a 100% light block. After I get done with the compound miter saw that is out on the balcony on the other side of the sliding glass doors, I will cover those doors with drywall.

post #19 of 146 Old 03-24-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

Going to be a nice looking theater. I saw the title and was looking forward to finding out what you were going to use for 4k source material.

Sorry... I didn't realize how misleading the title was. I was referring to the SE 4K screen, not 4K projection. Not sure how to change the thread title name though, I guess I would have to get a moderator to do it?

In a few years, though, it may be a true 4K theater!

post #20 of 146 Old 03-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Do you have plans for acoustical treatments? I really like the color you used on the ceiling, I may have to use it as well.
post #21 of 146 Old 03-24-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 133
How are going to deal with that sliding door? If you're using JTR subs, you're going to hear that window rattling.

Great equipment choices. Add thick, well-placed acoustical panels or things may be bright sounding.

Nice.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #22 of 146 Old 03-24-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebronze View Post

Do you have plans for acoustical treatments? I really like the color you used on the ceiling, I may have to use it as well.

Thanks. The ceiling color is Behr Sweet Mollases. It's a little darker than the pictures make it out to be. Something like dark chocolate or french roast coffee.

Regarding acoustic treatments, I have an Omnimic and plan on taking some measurements when the room is closer to completion before treating. I do plan, at minimum, to put bass traps in the corners behind the false screen wall. I may put in additional bass traps, haven't decided how or where...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

How are going to deal with that sliding door? If you're using JTR subs, you're going to hear that window rattling.

Great equipment choices. Add thick, well-placed acoustical panels or things may be bright sounding.

Nice.

TheBland! You're theater was one of the ones that inspired me to go as big as I did. "Go big or go home!", right?!

My plan for the sliding glass door is to put up drywall over the door opening with Roxul between the drywall and the glass. It might be overkill, but I'm worried about rattling glass too with the two JTR Captivators. I predict I will be chasing down alot of rattles when using these subs. The kitchen is below the theater, I hope it doesn't shake loose the hanging pot rack!

I will probably be putting up some absorption at first reflection points, but I'm going to measure things and give it some critical listening before doing so.

post #23 of 146 Old 03-25-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

A couple of sketchups to give an idea of the shape of the room I'm working with:

Screen wall is 16' 9", back wall is 19'. Room is 21' 4" long with 10ft ceiling.

post #24 of 146 Old 03-27-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

We've had company at our house for the last few days, so I haven't had an opportunity to work on the theater. It would have been nice to have an operational theater while they were here, but it is what it is....

This weekend I'm hoping to make more progress on my riser. I hope to accomplish the following.

1) build and attach the stair.
2) attach rubber isolator feet.
3) connect the two sections together (temporarily) so that I can:
4) attach and test EarthQuake Sound shaker.

If the shaker can't shake the riser as it currently exists, without top and
without seating and human occupants, I'll have to look at getting more shakers.

If I get truly ambitious, I might cut some holes in the riser for lighting and wires.

I have to leave the top off of the riser for now, until my neighbor can run the electrical for me.

post #25 of 146 Old 03-28-2012, 06:03 AM

Hi willscam,

It's looking great. I especially love those doors. I've never seen any like that before. Where do they come from and do you have a model number?
post #26 of 146 Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI Joe Sixpack View Post

Hi willscam,

It's looking great. I especially love those doors. I've never seen any like that before. Where do they come from and do you have a model number?

Thanks. They are nice solid doors. Unfortunately I don't have a model # for them. They were already in the house when we bought it.

post #27 of 146 Old 03-28-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Looks like you are going to have an amazing setup. With those speakers you should have invested in some serious soundproofing - You are going to need it

post #28 of 146 Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

Looks like you are going to have an amazing setup. With those speakers you should have invested in some serious soundproofing - You are going to need it

My next theater. I promise in my next theater I will have sound proofing.

My wife and I discussed soundproofing and decided against it, since this was a finished room. We'll have to live with that decision. My nearest neighbor's house is around 30 yards from this room, hopefully they won't get to aggravated with us on movie nights.

post #29 of 146 Old 04-06-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Nothing got done on my theater over spring break. My family decided to head to Lake Havasu and do some camping and boating. At least I can post a couple of pics from the lake.

Kid about to make a cliff jump into lake:

Some nice speed boats there over the weekend. Here's a collection of boats in copper canyon:

Lots of nice coves to pull into, drop anchor and have lunch:

post #30 of 146 Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Made at least a little progress. I worked Saturday, but when I got home I had a couple of hours and managed to add the frame for the stairs to my riser.

Here's a picture of the Earthquake shaker and a couple of the platform isolator mounts. I'll be installing these after my electrician friend can find time to help me run some of the electrical for my theater.

That's it for now. Happy Easter.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page