Family Room Home Theater trhooper123 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 03-31-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had originally planned on using a pre-built fireplace mantel and pre-built cabinets but I couldn't find any mantels that I liked and I needed at least 16 inch deep cabinets and lowes wanted $800 a piece because they were "special order." So I decided that I could build better cabinets for less so here is my list of costs for just the media center.

Lumber
8 sheets of 3/4 mdf
2 sheets of 1/4 birch hardwood( for cabinet door inserts)
2 sheets wainscoting
10 pieces of 1x4x8
10 pieces of 1x2x8(face frames)
TOTAL around $650

Fireplace $463.99
Lights$50
Paint stain and poly $100
Cabinet hardware $75

GRAND TOTAL OF $1338.99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 04-01-2012, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Very impressive for a week's worth of work. Nice skills!!

Thank you. It was easy to get a lot done when your on spring break!
post #33 of 46 Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 PM

awesome thanks!
post #34 of 46 Old 04-05-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Havent had a chance to post in a couple of days so I thought I would catch everyone up. I sent back the blu ray player I bought because it was not working correctly, it wouldn't display video. I went to best buy and bought a google tv instead and am in love with the Netflix on it and blown away at how fast it loads blu ray discs. I also ordered 10 feet bulk fabric from Chris at seymourav and today I am waiting on the speakers to get here. I am hoping to post pictures tonight
post #35 of 46 Old 04-07-2012, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

It has been a busy couple of days and I am very excited to show everyone the new pictures I have taken. The speakers arrived on Thursday and I had them installed fairly quickly because my wires were already ran. I built a frame for my screen ( Ill talk more about that) and built the screen. The fabric for the screen finally arrived today so i put it together and am completely blown away by the quality of it. The only thing left to do in the room is put velcro up for the screen, mount last two cabinet doors, and finish the shelves. One problem I have had to work with is the google tv through my denon avr-1912 receiver. When I am on the main menu of the google tv or browsing through netflix, the video will "skip" by getting these crazy white lines that take up most of the screen, almost as if it is trying to readjust the video. I narrowed the problem to the receiver but the only solution I have is to run an additional hdmi cable to the projector and run the audio to the receiver through optical connection.

Here is a picture of the back of my receiver

Here is the speakers before I mounted them

The speakers after I mounted them

There is the screen before I trimmed off the excess

post #36 of 46 Old 04-09-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Great build. I like the front cabinetry...gives a professional look. That light colored soft wood is a real b*tch to stain dark with standard Minwax isn't it. For future projects try an analine dye. Even coverage, single coat. Excellent choice on the AT screen but if your future in-laws (?) are truly into theater they will have you back to blow out the top side cabinets and fill the entire space with a bigger, more scopier dimensioned screen. Looks like a "constant area" as opposed to "constant height" will work great in that space. I have a 106' AT (Accuscreen not Seymour) and sit 10 feet back. For 16:9 it is about right but really could use another 1.5 feet width for 2.35 movies. At 12 or 13' you are going to have a pleasant but laid back viewing experience.

Looking forward to seeing this complete. Subscribed.

Thank you, I will definitely use the dye next time, I honestly did not know there was another solution. And I personally wanted a bigger screen, but she did not want it to be a dedicated theater but more of an entertainment space so i opted for the biggest screen I could fit in the space. I overall am pleased with the size, just am trying to decide on whether or not to build masking panels for 2.35 movies.
Thank you for your support.
post #37 of 46 Old 06-09-2012, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry everyone that I have not had a chance to post in the past month. I had final exams at UofL along with a vacation and another weekend getaway. a lot of progress has been made on this room I will post pictures very soon.
post #38 of 46 Old 08-02-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Alright everyone I finally had a chance to upload all of the pictures. So I will give a brief description under each one.

Here is the room right after the new carpet was installed.

Here is the room after the new sectional was brought in.

I put a bass shaker in each section of the couch ( a total of 6), They completely change the listening experience.
I use the scene from Wall-E as a demo. Its the scene where the spaceship is taking off and landing and you feel like there is a spaceship in the room with you.

I put cove lighting around the perimeter of the room, I glued a 1X2 at the top of the wall with the rope light brackets installed and
then I put up the rope light and finally the baseboard as trim.

Here is the room with the lights dimmed. the projector is very clear and there is plenty of ambient light to see.

This is the back corner with the cove lights off.

Here is the screen wall fully decorated.

All that is left to do is finish decorating the walls, buy bar stools for the pub tables, and to build a snack bar eventually. But overall we really enjoy using the theater
and it definitely beats a conventional movie theater.
Please everyone let me know what you think.
post #39 of 46 Old 09-08-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Nice to see the big sofa go in. Makes the space so much more versatile...and who doesn't like to stretch out now and then to watch a movie. You did great work on the cabinets, my only criticism is that without doors on your movie collection the screen wall looks a little busy.
I bet you earned some real brownie points with the almost in-laws after all that work.
Enjoy.
Yeah the sofa is extremely comfortable, and very cool now that it has bass shakers in it. And now that you've said that I think I am going to have to look into making tall doors for the movies because your right it is kind of distracting with the lights on at least. And yes my girlfriends mother loves it, we all love to stretch out and watch netflix and blu rays in this room now. Before no one wanted to go in there.
post #40 of 46 Old 09-08-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

New project happening. The cabinet with all the electronics is running pretty hot so I have decided to install exhaust fans on each level that will exhaust behind the screen.
post #41 of 46 Old 09-08-2012, 03:37 PM

I like the effect with the rope lights.

Makes a good theater effect in a room which isn't a 100% dedicated theater.
post #42 of 46 Old 09-08-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderland View Post

I like the effect with the rope lights.
Makes a good theater effect in a room which isn't a 100% dedicated theater.
Thank You! Ill have to say, that the rope lights are my favorite part of the theater too and they are terrific accent lights to have on when watching movies.
post #43 of 46 Old 09-08-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I can't believe I missed this thread for so long.

From one young builder to another... great job!

The cabinets turned out great and I love the fireplace install.

I'm thinking about doing something similar in an upstairs living room but with a flat screen. There isn't a fireplace in the room so there is no focal point and everything just looks blah. Thanks for the inspiration!

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #44 of 46 Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

I can't believe I missed this thread for so long.
From one young builder to another... great job!
The cabinets turned out great and I love the fireplace install.
I'm thinking about doing something similar in an upstairs living room but with a flat screen. There isn't a fireplace in the room so there is no focal point and everything just looks blah. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thank you for the support!!
post #45 of 46 Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
Very nice, always fun to see a 'different' build. You blended together a lot of very different elements, and it works. Great job!
post #46 of 46 Old 09-25-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Very nice, always fun to see a 'different' build. You blended together a lot of very different elements, and it works. Great job!
Thank you for the support. Its a lot harder than I though it would be to make a room a family room with the lights on but a home theater with the lights are dimmed. I think I managed to pull it off pretty well.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page