post #331 of 348 Old 07-28-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post
BIG/et al, What do you recommend using for the black wall panels around the screen? Mine need to be AT but I want them to black it out as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
I just used some black GOM FR701 for the side/top/bottom panels. The Rose brand speaker cloth would also work for a little less $$. I used it to cover the back wall behind my screen. It's not quite as thick, but I would say it's passable.
Quote:
Should I use Velvet above the screen to black out the crown then use the speaker cloth or something similar on the sides and the bottom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
From an aesthetics point of view, I don't know that I would use different fabrics. Are you asking about the crown behind your screen or the crown above it?
If it was me, I would be looking at covering the wall behind your screen anyway with some sort of absorptive material. You could use that opportunity to mask the crown behind your screen. Alternatively, you could fill the empty area in the top panel with cardboard or foam insulation to prevent light reflecting through.
Quote:
I am mostly focused on blacking out the area immediately around the screen for now. I agree the area behind the screen needs to be darkened in areas also. Should I just wrap the crown above the screen in black velvet or speakercloth?
Moving this discussion over here...

Looking through your pics, honestly, I don't think i would worry about covering the crown on the soffit just right now. I think it's a nice detail and it would be easy to do later if you found to be bothering you.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 348 Old 07-28-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Good point. What should I use for the sides and bottom? I'll post updated pics soon.

Come see my Livin' the Dream build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #333 of 348 Old 07-28-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My soffit ceiling and walls all have acoustimac dmd. Good price and very forgiving easy to work with fabric
post #334 of 348 Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Good point. What should I use for the sides and bottom? I'll post updated pics soon.
An acoustically transparent fabric like GOM would be the first choice. I'm not familiar with DMD, but that also looks like it should work well. Speaker cloth like the Rose brand stuff will do too. It will be a little thinner so more acoustically transparent, but also more light transparent. If you are planning to put your speakers behind your side panels, I would go this route. If they are going behind your screen, then look at GOM. Velvet will block all the light and most of the sound. I've been happy with GOM for my screen surround.

-

post #335 of 348 Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The bottom panel will cover my sub(s), the LCR will be behind the screen. I could make the side panels out of velvet as they do not truly need to be AT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #336 of 348 Old 07-29-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blank screen.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	185690Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark of Moon Screen.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	185698Here are two updated pics to see what I'm working with. I did not have the doors closed for the pics so there was a fair amount of ambient light so excuse that and I had light shining in behind the screen which illuminated the vertical screen supports.

post #337 of 348 Old 07-29-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Wraunch,
Love the room thusfar. Quick question, If you are doing AT with that door on the left, how do you plan to close off the side (behind the screen) while keeping a border around the screen itself?

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Last edited by kevin g.; 07-29-2014 at 08:52 AM.
post #338 of 348 Old 07-29-2014, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I will have a panel to the left of the screen that will have a slight L to it to wrap around the corner and give the screen a 2-3" border on the left edge while creating a panel to seal off the back of the screen. That panel will be attached with velcro. At least that is my plan currently but I'm open to ideas.

post #339 of 348 Old 07-29-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The bottom panel will cover my sub(s), the LCR will be behind the screen. I could make the side panels out of velvet as they do not truly need to be AT.
I think this is a solid plan. The only thing then will be keeping the velvet clean. You can usually get coupons for Jo-Ann fabrics and save a little.

Love the progress pics. Looking very nice.
wraunch likes this.

-

post #340 of 348 Old 07-29-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Do you think I should just get the stretch velvet?

post #341 of 348 Old 07-29-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you think I should just get the stretch velvet?
I'll have to defer to someone else on velvet qualities. I got nothing on that one. But I did see this thread pop up the other day. I haven't read it, but it may have some good info...

VELVET CLOTH for screen side wall and front ceiling

-

post #342 of 348 Old 07-29-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post
triple velvet from syfabrics.com comes highly recommended (Mississippi Man for example, who has done a lot of builds with a lot of different fabrics/velvets) - I bought it, but haven't installed it yet.
this is what I used comes out cheaper than JoAnns even with coupon. High quality stuff
BllDo likes this.

post #343 of 348 Old 07-29-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
this is what I used comes out cheaper than JoAnns even with coupon. High quality stuff
And it's Acoustically Transparent?

post #344 of 348 Old 07-29-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And it's Acoustically Transparent?
No Velvet is but subwoffer does not care about that if you are putting them back there.

post #345 of 348 Old 07-29-2014, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yep that is what will be behind it.

post #346 of 348 Old 07-29-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

should be good to go then or so I have been told I am by no means an expert

post #347 of 348 Old 08-02-2014, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok. I have everything up and running. I'm finding out that my Onkyo 705 might be a little under powered to run my M&K 750 THX LCR and 550THX surrounds, also the bass from the v1250 is inadequate. I really want to wait to upgrade to a new Dolby Atmos compatible receiver but I hate buying new tech before the bugs are worked out of the first generation. So what should I do? I'm leaning towards getting a 2-3 channel amp to provide the needed power to my lcr. Ideas?
post #348 of 348 Old 09-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Wraunch, love the room. Carpet is really nice, and of course you have excellent taste in speakers. I would look at getting multiple subs. I'm an SVS fan myself. I recommend sealed but some people love ported. I tried it and I just like sealed much better. A 3 channel amp from Emotiva would be great. Also try looking on Audiogon for a good deal on a nice 5 channel or 7 channel amp for your surrounds if you can swing it. If not, then the 3 channel from Emotiva will make a noticeable difference. Also, I would look at buying an SPL meter from Radio Shack if you don't have on already.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page