Green light alert - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

My brother was given the green light by his wife to start his Dedicated room. We have to seize the moment A.S.A.P given she could change her mind within 2 weeks. Here's the problem. He has most of his equipment with a couple of things missing. He needs a reciver (he favor's Integras), a projector & screen or 70" tv 1080p (throw distance 13'-16'), a sub, studs & drywall & blu ray player and a 7000.00 budget. You guys have always come through for me...PLEASE GIVE YOUR SUGGESTIONS. F.Y.I I have a jvc hd 350 projector and he loves that. I'm also hooking him wup with the duct lining for acustic treatments.

-Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 631
This is a forum about theaters not TV rooms, would expect anyone to say get a TV?

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

i know... i agree... so letz say scratch the tv option
post #4 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Do you want suggestions for equipment or for the room? You haven't given much to go on as far as the room goes.

post #5 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

I would like ANY AND ALL suggestions... equipment being the priority
post #6 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Then I would suggest that the priority should be the room. Get the room right and the equipment can come later. Upgrading the equipment over time is a LOT easier than upgrading the room. And it sounds to me like you don't want to build a room that the wife complains about the noise every time the poor guy goes in there to use it.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #7 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Then I would suggest that the priority should be the room. Get the room right and the equipment can come later. Upgrading the equipment over time is a LOT easier than upgrading the room. And it sounds to me like you don't want to build a room that the wife complains about the noise every time the poor guy goes in there to use it.

I do get that.... the room does make even the most basic equipment sound AWESOME....I would still like to spitball some ideas for some equipment
post #8 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 08:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Panasonic AE7000
Hsu Sub
SeymourAV DIY Acoustically transparent screen material
Premium 2x4 studs
Two layers of 5/8 drywall
Green glue
Whisper Clips and hat channel

Spit away

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #9 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

There you go. What Big said.

Tom Logan

post #10 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Panasonic AE7000
Hsu Sub
Premium 2x4 studs
Green glue

Spit away

My man Big... you are awesome. Any thoughts on a reciever???
post #11 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Gotta say after reading more your point is WELL TAKEN!!!!! Equipment is easy to upgrade...rooms aren't. Any ideas on the "best" way to construct his floating floor? I did my with a double layer of plywood sitting on vibration isolation pads in a 16" grid
post #12 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm glad SOMEBODY listens to me. The Mrs. sure doesn't.

Now you're in the "post a diagram and we can give you better advice" area. Is this second floor bonus room build or a basement? I would suggest reading up on the articles at Ted White's site here: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...fing-articles/.

Post a diagram, more info, whatever you can about the build and you'll get MUCH better advice.

Tom Logan

post #13 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Buy a lock for the theater door and don't let your friend's wife enter the room until the theater is finished. I wish someone had given me that advice when I got the "green light".

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

post #14 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, I'm glad SOMEBODY listens to me. The Mrs. sure doesn't.

Now you're in the "post a diagram and we can give you better advice" area. Is this second floor bonus room build or a basement? I would suggest reading up on the articles at Ted White's site here: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...fing-articles/.

Post a diagram, more info, whatever you can about the build and you'll get MUCH better advice.

I'll have my brother scketch one up this evening. Its a basement with TOTAl LIGHT CONTROL
post #15 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Panasonic AE7000
Hsu Sub
Premium 2x4 studs
Green glue

Spit away

If not planning on 2.35 screen, you might also consider the Epson 5010. Brighter than 7000 in best image mode for 2D and much brighter than 7000 in 3D. Also the 5010 has $100 Epson instant rebate still good to the end of the month. For AVR take a look at the Denon 2112CI. Good reliable AVR with plenty of features and being a CI model comes with a 3yr. warranty.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #16 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Just talked to the brother...he agrees...ROOM ROOM ROOM. WE are very excited...drawing coming in a couple of hours
post #17 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

post #18 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Awkward door placement, as it limits rear row seating. consider at least 2 feet of the room length lost at the door.

You can put the sump pump behind a false wall, fabric covered frame with screen built out a couple of feet from that wall. This room would work best as a one row theater BUT You could do a middle aisle rear row and swing around for a full centered front row.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #19 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

THE hvac duct presents a problem with room height. would it be better to have the room set up with only one row of seating going the lenght?? Minus the duct the height is 8'
LL
post #20 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 06:25 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Drop the ceiling just enough to clear the pipes with furring , then do a perimeter soffit around the entire room just big enough to hide the duct, DO NOT FRAME UNDER THE DUCT, span the bottom with just the drywall. Add a light tray to the side of the perimeter soffit and add both rope up lighting and down lights, an example is in the Bacon Race thread, click below.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #21 of 24 Old 03-27-2012, 06:27 PM

Liked: 148
Make sure to spend the very little extra on the premium studs. Really, it will make a huge difference. If for no other reason than you will save yourself several hours trying to find a dozen non-warped boards in the non-premium pile...
post #22 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Here's the lay out of my brother's unfinished basement...Looking at it which space would be better suited for his dedicated room????
LL
post #23 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The larger space is better IMO.

Two questions right off the bat:

1)How many (non-overflow) seats does he want? As Big said, 2 rows would be tight in the room with the doors at the back. the other room the 2nd row would be up against the back wall - not ideal but possible.

2)Is soundproofing a concern? In either case you have 2 doors to soundproof, but double-doors in particular are very difficult to soundproof.

Also if you do the larger room and the screen is on the exterior wall you can put your projector outside the room and not have to hear the fan noise at all.
post #24 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

He is happy with one row.....Its just him, wife, kid. SOUNDPROOFING TOP PRIORITY. Your thoughts???
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page