Drywall finishing for flat black ceiling - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 35 Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Sanding screens. I also changed to a higher grit for the final sanding.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by advertguy2 View Post

Just wanted to bring this thread back to say that I tried Tom's method of sanding with the pole parallel to the ceiling (using the attachment linked above with sanding screens). I didn't like it. Found it much more difficult and the screens left all sorts of lines. Went back to using those sanding sponges (red sponge, black grit from the HD paint section). Sure they're messy, but oh well. I hate sanding drywall...

Drywall is a hassle. I hate doing it too. The problem for DIY'ers is usually 'too much'. Either too much compound applied, requiring too much sanding, and then sanding it too much sanding (too hard or quickly) in a attempt to just get the damned thing finished. Resulting in the job taking longer or looking even worse.

It's one area where I don't have a problem paying someone else with the skills to do it properly.
post #33 of 35 Old 05-02-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by advertguy2 View Post

Just wanted to bring this thread back to say that I tried Tom's method of sanding with the pole parallel to the ceiling (using the attachment linked above with sanding screens). I didn't like it. Found it much more difficult and the screens left all sorts of lines. Went back to using those sanding sponges (red sponge, black grit from the HD paint section). Sure they're messy, but oh well. I hate sanding drywall...

I've read - but have no idea if it's true or not - that the sponges create waves in the sanding that the blocks prevent from happening. Plus they cover more area than the sponges which means it gets done faster and I'm all for that.
post #34 of 35 Old 05-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
They can and it's just about the novice taking too much off in areas with the sponge. The trick with the screens is a light touch and not to use the aggresive grits. The problem with the noobie mud and tape jobs is that the seems generally need A LOT of work after the mud goes on. Once you get the "feel" for it, you generally wont ever need a screen grit heavier than 150.

Sadly once you get the "feel" for it, your generally done with your project!
post #35 of 35 Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
The screen grit I used is 220, still got lines. Probably because of the suction and my incredible unhumanlike strength...

The sponges I use are pretty much the same size as the pole sander block things. It's done now, so I'm happy. Going to prime this weekend and pray that I don't need to fix anything.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page