Need help on HD over Coax throughout house - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-28-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I need some advice to help a friend rewire his house for HD.

The house is about 20 years old and has coax running to other rooms from the "slave" receiver and an old distribution system.

Currently he has old splitters that take the coax to other rooms. Obviously not in HD.

He has three DTV receivers. He ran coax to the other rooms that feed off that particular receiver.

Receiver 1 -- direct connect to Family room, also feeds to bedroom.

Receiver 2 -- direct connect to office, feeds to pool house, kitchen

Receiver 3- direct connect to bedroom, feeds second bedroom.

Obviously he has HDMI connections in the family room and office with a simple cord. He would like to also get HD in the pool house, kitchen and second bedroom.

He is currently wired to an old system that allowed him to switch channels in analog between his 10 inch dish, cable and DTV. He has taken the 10' dish down (duh)....and cable is gone and is only using DTV now. So that can be removed now.

I need to find the most cost effective way to transfer HD over coax to the other two sources and don't need IR control to the receiver.

His older TV's are component in, but through research I think there is an adapter that can convert HDMI to component with audio.

He intends to upgrade those TV's in the next 2 years, so I would like to have the connections wired so it can be "plug and play" with HDMI when he does upgrade.

The older TV's are "HD ready" but they don't have a digital tuner.

So I am looking for the most cost effective way to transfer an HD signal to multiple rooms over coax. Also I don't have DTV and apparently only one of his rooms records the programs but can transfer them to other units?

I see there are many devices out there so if someone could recommend some that have had luck with?

Do to sum up I need the following unless someone has more creative advice?

1) A device that can transfer two HDMI over coax from one source

2) A device that can transfer one HDMI to the bedroom

3) Is there a way to tie in all receivers with HD?

4) Does DTV have a way to transfer programs from one receiver to another so ALL his stored programs are availabe on all his Tv's without having to move them to a central location?

Thank you for any help or advice you can give!!

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/4x4-hdmi-m...over-coax.html

Check out my whole house build HERE
post #3 of 3 Old 03-28-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
You'll get more responses in the A/V Distribution forum below - but one important question: By "DTV" do you mean OTA digital TV reception (ATSC) or do you mean DirecTV? Not clear from your post which it is...

Short answer, in either case, though:

1) If ATSC / OTA digital - best choice will be to either upgrade the non-HD sets and/or add ATSC tuner boxes. Then the coax distribution will work, and you won't be distributing - just feeding everyone the whole ATSC spectrum.

2) If DirecTV - cheapest solution and by far easiest is just additional set-top boxes for each set, all upgraded to HD / DVR boxes that support the single-wire (SWM) distribution system.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page