Need materials information for theater construction... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-01-2012, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI folks. I'm getting ready to finish a portion of my basement for dedicated theater usage. The area is 11 x 25 and is currently unfinished. I was looking for recommendations for materials to use to finish it that will provide the best possible sound. Looking for recs on things like type of ceiling tile, wall material, any specific type of insulation, and flooring. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-01-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
You may want to do a wee bit more research before you start your project. Your question is fairly unanswerable.. you have given no details on your space other than length and width. Read some of the existing threads and note the info provided and if more info was requested prior to the answers..
I can't really help you with the answers, but I do know that others will need a boat load more info before they can give you the help you are looking for.
Good luck with the project!

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-01-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

You may want to do a wee bit more research before you start your project. Your question is fairly unanswerable.. you have given no details on your space other than length and width. Read some of the existing threads and note the info provided and if more info was requested prior to the answers..
I can't really help you with the answers, but I do know that others will need a boat load more info before they can give you the help you are looking for.
Good luck with the project!

What other information is needed? I'll be glad to add it. THanks for the reply.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-01-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post

What other information is needed? I'll be glad to add it. THanks for the reply.

Like I said, read some of the other projects and see how they start out.. for instance.. Ceiling height? will you be using a front projector? What are the walls made of? current floor? Windows? water issues? Layout floor plan of what you want to build? Sound proofing? BUDGET FOR BUILD, Budget for equipment, location (cold or hot)? Will there be cooling and heating needed? Room in a room? The list goes on and on..

Since you only mention sound, have you started to read this thread on sound treatment?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=255432
It is the first one at the top of the forum in the sticky section. Lots of answers to frequent questions can be found in the sticky section.. Also the forum kind of dies on the weekend so you can probably get some of your questions answered faster doing searches of the forum and reading.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 610
For a good sounding room you want to think about keeping sound out. So the first thing to do is learn about how to build the room with soundproofing techniques and products. You want to decouple the framing and hang double layers of drywall on a whisper clips and channel. You can read about it at soundproofingcompany.com.

You also want to address the duct work and how to cool this room without letting the sound travel to other rooms of the house

PROJECTS:

post #6 of 11 Old 04-01-2012, 08:18 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 610
If you want a product list here you go

IB3 clips
whisper clips
hat channel
acoustical caulk
Green Glue
5/8 OSB
5/8 drywall
Drycore floor tiles
carpet and pad
paint
1 1/4 drywall screws
2 inch drywall screws
2 1/2 inch deck screws
3 inch deck screws
Carlon adjustable depth electrical boxes
Romex
Step lights
3 inch recessed lights
3/4 MDF
1/2 MDF
Rope light
1 3/4 thick solid core door(s)
Mouse ears black flat paint
Linacoustic
Acoustical Cotton
OC703
Fiberglass wall/ceiling insulation
GOM Fabric
Staples
bunch of miscellaneous nails of various sizes
Air compressor and an assortment of tools
2x4 premium studs, 2x12s and 2x10s as needed per plan
Sand
plastic sheeting
I'm Just getting warmed up.

PROJECTS:

post #7 of 11 Old 04-01-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

For a good sounding room you want to think about keeping sound out. So the first thing to do is learn about how to build the room with soundproofing techniques and products. You want to decouple the framing and hang double layers of drywall on a whisper clips and channel. You can read about it at soundproofingcompany.com.

You also want to address the duct work and how to cool this room without letting the sound travel to other rooms of the house

Big makes a really good suggestion here. The articles at that website are well written and informative.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I'll add 1) bandaids and 2) beer. Of course, you can reduce the amount of #1 by buying less of #2.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #9 of 11 Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I'll add 1) bandaids and 2) beer. Of course, you can reduce the amount of #1 by buying less of #2.

Respectfully, I disagree. Buy MORE beer.

:-)

post #10 of 11 Old 04-01-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Haha. THnaks for all the replies. I was just looking for specific tiles to use in the ceiling and specific type of drywall (if any). Just very specific things for the basic stuff, ceiling, floor, walls. Thanks. Budget is about 5k for the space.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
That's a pretty tight budget if you are starting with an unfinished space. Obviously, the more you can do yourself, the better. My drywall estimate alone for a 12.5'x19' space was around $5k. I think it's extremely high, but it gives you an idea of where your money starts to go as soon as you start hiring help.

Spaceman Theater Build

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page