Projector Sound Absorption - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I have some of this and I'm guessing this would be better? I have a projector sitting on a very large (open) high shelf and I'm looking to place foam on the shelf's bottom and perhaps on the sides and or top to capture the projector's noise. I know nothing about the topic at hand although I'm presuming what I have is better at blocking noise where the other would absorb it better? And since the shelf is open in the front and at the outside of the bottom (it's a custom made cabinet/closet) absorption sounds better than blocking... I'm willing to order the other if it has the best odds.

Thanks.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Maybe try placing pillows and blankets up there first to see if it's going to make a difference. The problem is the gap is so large, I'm not sure how much muffling you would achieve.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 531
think about turning that area into a hush box.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

think about turning that area into a hush box.

d(^_^)b

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #5 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM

Liked: 16
Without enclosing the front of the projector in a boxing setup, you're not going to be getting much noise deadening. Foam underneath the projector can help if you're getting vibration noise issues, but covering five sides while the sixth is the one that faces the room won't really help, especially with the size of that area. The foam would absorb the reflections going sideways and backwards, but the issue is that you still have noise coming straight forward.

If you feel like taking a shot at putting something in there for the rearward and side reflections to see if you like it, you wouldn't be doing much better one way or another with only a ½ difference between the eggcrate and sheet foam you already have, so you definitely don't need to buy the eggcrate. If you somehow have reflections from your speakers getting trapped back there and causing issues, that's another story. But for handling the noise of a projector, you'll probably want a hush box as Big said.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
That space looks ideal to be turned into a hush box. It would need ventilation though to remove the heat. Not sure if you have access from the top or back to do that though.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

That space looks ideal to be turned into a hush box. It would need ventilation though to remove the heat. Not sure if you have access from the top or back to do that though.

Actually the outer sides of the shelf bottom is open... roughly 9" wide by 30" deep on each end. It's open to the shelves below and comes in handy for running cables and whatnot.

Previously (another projector) I placed a fan in the back to suck air up into the space and closed off the front. Leaving just enough of an opening for the projected image. It didn't help much with the noise as it was just the same carpet I use to block off the unused shelves.

I guess it would be ideal as I could suck in air on one side and exhaust it out the other. If I stick with this projector it can't be mounted any higher as I'm already using the maximim lens shift. Perhaps I could build a big box with a fan on each side and mount some glass in the front... not sure I'm that talented.

I do agree there is little hope capturing much of the noise regardless of how I treat it with the large opening.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page